• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

BTA

I liked that a lot. Watching them on Hulu as episodes vs live streaming was a good idea as I ended up having to take a 30 minute break to deal with some things between episodes, hah.

My feelings as 17 ended were that it might have worked as a series finale for a show that expected/planned to have a next season, and as 18 went on (before the end) I also sorta felt it would have worked well as the first episode of a season. It was definitely weird to casually check the time and suddenly realize there was only 11 minutes left, hah.

I definitely think that after crossing over this Coop wasn't just normal Coop- he's not Bad Coop, but he has some of his mannerisms and ways of speaking, which made the scene with Diane (Linda?) unsettling. I'm not sure if it's a dream or just the past (or future?), given that there were also implications that the other world was a dream as well. On that note I'm a little surprised we never saw Audrey again, especially with the little girl line being repeated.

I expect the Final Dossier to just be more lore, but hopefully it has Tammy giving her take on the events of the season- I still feel like we didn't get to know a lot about her as a character, especially as one who had supposedly read a huge dossier about the original's events and was a skeptic of what happened, and I have to wonder if that's because it was saved for this book. I don't really expect any resolution there beyond maybe finding out what happened after Cooper left the office, but it should be interesting (as long as there's less UFOs...) and I'm excited.

robotrock

Banned
So uhhh...the bit in Part 17 with young Laura and James. How did that work? Old footage but they recorded new dialogue (like how they dubbed over the Philip Jefferies stuff)? Or were they actual outtakes?

The bit where Cooper was walking Laura out didn't look like Sheryl Lee, right?

I forgot about that, makes sense
Damn Cooper always forgets to close the door

but let me correct myself because i just rewatched episode 17 and im pretty sure that the silhouette that descends the staircase is THE JUMPING MAN.
i wasn't sure it was when i first watched it but i just saw the credits for that episode and he is credited.

i dont remember anyone mentioning an appearance by him, was this known?

So the meeting with the Giant was literally all about the finale. 430, Richard and Linda, the sound it makes when Laura disappears.

I wonder how the they did the scenes in the past with Old Coop and Young Laura.

A mix of deleted scenes with new footage? A different actress for Laura.

but let me correct myself because i just rewatched episode 17 and im pretty sure that the silhouette that descends the staircase is THE JUMPING MAN.
i wasn't sure it was when i first watched it but i just saw the credits for that episode and he is credited.

i dont remember anyone mentioning an appearance by him, was this known?
It was yes and he was also in Part 15 briefly. He is Judy too, I think.

mjp2417

Banned
So uhhh...the bit in Part 17 with young Laura and James. How did that work? Old footage but they recorded new dialogue (like how they dubbed over the Philip Jefferies stuff)? Or were they actual outtakes?

That was current Sheryl Lee I believe, not 1991 Sheryl Lee.

All the old footage was in Fire Walk With Me and I think some of it may have been from the deleted scenes.

Alec

Did Coop cross over into Audrey's coma dream? Carrie screaming at the end is her gaining lucidity and remembering that she is Laura?

I feel like I missed any Annie information. Did they ever address what happened to her?

Nope, but in Secret History, her backstory was changed significantly to the point where the winner of the Miss Twin Peaks pageant was someone else (the red head in season 2). Mark said there was a reason for the discrepancy, but did not go into it. It seems like the books may take place in a different reality.

HoJu

Some people on Reddit have a theory and are saying Laura got sucked into an alternate timeline by Judy when Judy sensed that Cooper was trying to save Laura in the past. Cooper was trying to change time by saving Laura from dying and Judy did not like it. That was when Cooper was leading Laura by the hand in the wood and Laura suddenly disappears with the swooshing noise and the horrifying scream.

Then Coop and Diane go on a mission to save Laura in the alternate timeline from Judy...and in the end Laura realizes who she is and wakes up with the scream and the lights go out in the house.

Yeah, that makes sense. Except for the whole alternate timeline business, still not sure why it exists

Eh, nah. Judy is being setup to being someone above all the other Lodge spirits.
He is intercut with Grace Zabriskie in part 15. When the monkey has it's mask revealed it says Judy. The jumping man has a mask that is the same. When Grace takes off her face, there is a protrusion like his nose and a second mask underneath.

That's what I'm basing it on.

There are multiple characters with the same first name in the world of Twin Peaks
Sooooo many.

That Linda isn't the Linda any more than Richard Horne was the Richard. There is a Richard and Linda in wherever Coop ends up in Part 18 that look like him and Diane.

IronRinn

I literally said "What?" out loud at the end. Not necessarily in a bad way.

I need some time to think about what I just watched.

Seeing Laura whispering something to Coop and knowing that whatever it is she whispers freaks him out gets to me even more now. Especially after the events of 18.

HotHamBoy

Wow what a fucking piece of shit show.

There's at least 8 episodes of material they could have cut out because it doesn't fucking go anywhere.

David Lynch demanded double the episodes just to drag us through his ponderous bullshit.

Airola

9PxA9MO.jpg

HotHamBoy

Like, I'm legitimately angry about all the time spent with ancillary characters that is just red herring garbage that meant nothing.

charpunk

I remember how I was worrying that the reason cooper was bringing Laura to her house was to defeat Judy.

Those were the days.

I think I’m going to go cry now.

jon_i634

Banned
Seeing Laura whispering something to Coop and knowing that whatever it is she whispers freaks him out gets to me even more now. Especially after the events of 18.

Lynch is finally getting what he always wanted to do. He never wanted to reveal the key to the original series, "Who Killed Laura Palmer?" The key to whatever the hell happened in Part 18, and Season 3 in general, is whatever Laura whispered to Cooper in the Red Room. We'll never know. They wouldn't put that scene over the credits if it wasn't the key to everything. We'll never know, and I am 100% okay with that!

Kurdel

Banned
17 was great, I loved the One Punch Man schlock. Coop knowing the rules of the Black Lodge made him over confident, and got fucking wrecked when trying to use time travel to correct the past, and dimensional shifting accidentally changed the future.

I still don’t get why he had to travel the second time after changing the past...

Anyways, loved it! Knowing Coop and Laura are trapped in another reality is a great place to end the show, even if there are just books ih the future.

Top Bottom