• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

Blader

How did they do the new scenes with young Laura? Was it just a double?

Others were saying earlier in the thread that when Coop is guiding Laura through the woods, it's present-day Sheryl Lee wearing a wig, but I'm not sure I buy that. Granted she was obscured in shadows a lot, but I feel like most of the time you saw her face she looked much more like her younger self than her current one.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Others were saying earlier in the thread that when Coop is guiding Laura through the woods, it's present-day Sheryl Lee wearing a wig, but I'm not sure I buy that. Granted she was obscured in shadows a lot, but I feel like most of the time you saw her face she looked much more like her younger self than her current one.

It wouldn't be hard to de-age her for a few frames at a time w/ CGI

hydruxo

Pretty sure it was just Sheryl, yeah. They doctored her up a bit with make-up and CGI it seems. Obscuring her in shadow also helped not make it obvious or anything.

tumblr_inline_ovqiuwm6ln1qb4h72_540.jpg

Kyle after the finale:

tumblr_inline_ovqiw4RTsG1qb4h72_540.gif

The thing is though, he wasn't wrong. It did all make sense. It's just that it un-did the sense-making minutes later.

One of the most mind-blowing things is actually that Lucy killed mr. C :p

Better than mockney glove guy killing Bob. If you need someone with super human strength, you should have had Nadine take him out with her gold shovel instead of the random guy who's there because Lynch chuckled at his YouTube video.

Pretty sure it was just Sheryl, yeah. They doctored her up a bit with make-up and CGI it seems. Obscuring her in shadow also helped not make it obvious or anything.

I was watching it last night and thought it was a double. She's always in the distance, or out of focus. Thing is, that scene makes no sense because if the scream is because she spotted Coop, then he'd always be there to save her. (Mind explodes).

rgoulart

On my TV it was clearly Sheryl Lee wearing a wig. It helped that it was dark and mostly black and white but I guess they achieved this with makeup and CGI, while using the dark to help the illusion cause they obviously don't have the Marvel budget to de-age actors.

BTA

I... I dunno guys, I actually enjoyed Multiple Punch Man. More his story (which I loved for some reason) than the actual fight in the end, admittedly. But even that wasn't totally uncharisrically goofy, personally?

If the argument is that it was a weird way to handle BOB/Mr. C, I can see that, but still.

Vectorman

Banned
New Sheriff Truman was really underused as a character. You had some brief looks into his character with his traumatized wife and dead son background but there was no more depth into his character besides his talks with the various characters he encountered. Really should have just had Robert Forster actually be Harry or have given Hawk the sheriff role and do those scenes instead.

Is it though? Because then what is Mr. C looking for then? To kill Judy before he takes BOB?

How do we know this? I thought it was the Lincoln Hobo from episode 8

and what was that device in Argentina that disappeared

We know that Judy/The Experiement jitted BOB from her mouth jitt. Unruly child that he was, he kept running away from home into doppelgängers. Judy wants to be with him again.

Judy is clearly masterminding a lot of shit, and in the phone scene she intercepted a call C thought was to Jeffries.

In the White Lodge scene in 17 we see that C intended to go see Judy/Sarah at the house but Fireman redirected him. C is NOT BOB, but clearly wants to retain that power. ("You're still with me. That's good.") Judy wants her Jitt Son back and has been manipulating forces to destroy C and free BOB. The Woodsmen are her soldiers. They linger in these places where C is messing with things but seem to only have the power to act when C is powerless.

Remember, when C met with Jefferies, doesn't C ask if Judy wants something from him?

On some level, he knows.

The one thing that surprised me in 17 was that BOB was still inside C. I thought the Woodsmen got him out in Part 8.

Blader

The "I missed you in New York" line in DoppelCoop's phone call in episode 2 would also line up nicely with the fake Jeffries being Sarah/Judy. She did, after all, show up in the glass box in New York.

It wouldn't be hard to de-age her for a few frames at a time w/ CGI

Yeah, but with this show's budget?! :lol

But seconds before that phone call, he's showing Darya the playing card with Mother/Judy on it (assuming mother and Judy are one in the same).

Right. I think he's been looking for her and on some level he knows he needs to beat her to be king shit on BOB mountain.

Also key, the last thing we see before the performance in Part 2 is Sarah watching the lion.

This is the central force. This is Judy.

Vectorman

Banned
But seconds before that phone call, he's showing Darya the playing card with Mother/Judy on it (assuming mother and Judy are one in the same).

Exactly. It just seems odd for Mr. C to seemingly want to meet Mother/Judy if she's gonna want to kill him. It just sucks that we have no idea what the main reason Mr. C is doing all of this besides not wanting to return to the Lodge.

Flipyap

"But I will tell you one itty-bitty thing - Judy is positive about this."
"How interesting, I thought we were going to leave Judy out of it."
(...)
"HELL GOD BABY DAMN NO... I found something. In Seattle, at Judy's."

So... The Missing Pieces is not "canon," huh? Unless we're supposed to accept that the FBI crew casually talks about a dumb retcon monster as if it's a regular person.
The line that ended up in the show's overdubbed flashback is the only part that could be retconned to work with this clunky new addition to the show's mythology, the rest just falls apart.

Addi

Better than mockney glove guy killing Bob. If you need someone with super human strength, you should have had Nadine take him out with her gold shovel instead of the random guy who's there because Lynch chuckled at his YouTube video.

Haha, I found it hilarious. Speaking of Bob, is he dead in every reality now? Even though Cooper went back in time, the lodges seem to exist outside of time, so if a lodge spirit like Bob is killed, he would cease to exist in the new timeline too?

Also, right before Cooper asks what year this is, he did the same hand movement as when he turned back time in the lodge. A question would be if changed time at that moment too or if it was just the thing that made him realise that the timeline was fucked up.

Vectorman

Banned
(...)

So... The Missing Pieces is not "canon," huh? Unless we're supposed to accept that the FBI crew casually talks about a dumb retcon monster as if it's a regular person.
The line that ended up in the show's overdubbed flashback is the only part that could be retconned to work with this clunky new addition to the show's mythology, the rest just falls apart.

Exactly. I do not understand why Lynch chose to ignore the relationship between MIKE and BOB either. It is a literal rewrite for BOB and MIKE is sentenced to the waiting room for the entire season. Come to think of it, why didn't they use Seattle as a location? Kinda would have liked some more Washington scenery in this show.

Exactly. It just seems odd for Mr. C to seemingly want to meet Mother/Judy if she's gonna want to kill him. It just sucks that we have no idea what the main reason Mr. C is doing all of this besides not wanting to return to the Lodge.

He tells us in the diner, dude. It's all there in the text.

"If there's one thing you should know about me, Ray, it's that I don't need anything. I want."

He wants everything, all the power. Judy stands in the way of that.

Vectorman

Banned
He tells us in the diner, dude. It's all there in the text.

"If there's one thing you should know about me, Ray, it's that I don't need anything. I want."

He wants everything, all the power. Judy stands in the way of that.

Then it just makes him look all the more like an idiot when the White Lodge sends him to TP instead. Not sure if I like that angle.

Ashby

Why does Judy need to be defeated anyway? We weren't shown or told of her impact on the world at all. I don't get a sense of threat from "her" at all.

hydruxo

Saw this post elsewhere but I thought it was pretty fascinating:

"I think we just saw Orpheus and Eurydice… Dale and Laura. He leads her by the hand in the darkness–through the woods, to her home. But he can’t save her. When he turns around, she’s gone. So he can only lead her on and on through time and space–losing her again and again and again."

I think that's spot on.

I'm sure Judy is the Jumping Man is Sarah Palmer.

I'm not sure Judy is the mother, or if Judy is the frog moth born of the mother.

I do think Judy is fake Jeffries.

Slaythe

Yeah what a blasphemy, he got a random guy to kill the random guy that was stuck on set while shooting.

Then it just makes him look all the more like an idiot when the White Lodge sends him to TP instead. Not sure if I like that angle.

I mean he looked confused as fuck during that whole approach to Jack Rabbits Palace and when he was spat out at the Sheriffs station. He had no idea if the rock location was where he needed to be or if it was a trap, hence sending Richard first. I wouldn't say he's an idiot, just not all-knowing and so, like Cooper, he had to take the last step of his journey on pure faith that it would turn out in his favour. He seemed to have no other choice really; he doesn't know who Judy resides within, other than that it's someone he's met, so going to the coordinates (seemingly the Palmer house which The Giant switches to the Sheriffs station) was his last hope.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I loved not-one-punch-man but I'm I've the opinion that whole set up was over the top on purpose. If something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

Kayhan

I'm sure Judy is the Jumping Man is Sarah Palmer.

I'm not sure Judy is the mother, or if Judy is the frog moth born of the mother.

I do think Judy is fake Jeffries.

The Jumping Man is Judy is the frog moth I agree but Sarah Palmer is the host of that entity. She got taken over in Episode 8.

How did they do the new scenes with young Laura? Was it just a double?

Pretty sure that was Lee, in a wig and makeup/effects trickery.

De-aging effects have come a looong way (in fact I expect it's subtly used for aging movie stars these days without anyone knowing). Even Lynch and Showtime's budget can use it judiciously, at least in a shadowy forest without close-ups.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Did Lynch do some of the effects himself in After Effects?

I am not being mean, I am legit curious.

Yes, very much so I imagine. The style is very purposeful, although it's easy to see how it can also be distracting. The idea is the effects are supposed to look 'unreal' as in something that is not from this reality. However this also has the side effect of looking cheap so I can understand why for some people it doesn't really work

EdmondD

That was insane. Wonderful. Bewildering. Amazing. I don't even know.

Went from season three of Twin Peaks to Fire Walk With Me to Lost Highway to Muholland Drive to season four alternate reality peaks. Holy shit. This is the best show I've ever seen.

Flipyap

Oh no, you guys are really sticking with the "Mother" thing? I was hoping that would fade away now that the show is over and the only way the creature was referred to officially is Experiment (Model).
It's so strange how this fandom's theories started eating their own tail and somehow became this unofficial universal truth.

Wait so where are people getting the "jumping man is the frog moth" theory from??
Because they have pointy bits - Jumpin Man's nose and the bug's beak. Everything has to be connected because reasons.

Did Lynch do some of the effects himself in After Effects?

I am not being mean, I am legit curious.
I don't think there has been any official confirmation, but I'm fairly sure that is the case. This show's simpler special effects resemble his personal animation projects too much to come from the visual effects studio responsible for the more professional CGI.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Still shook from that ending last night ahaha. God damn.
Reading thread reactions from last night is hilarious.

gun_haver

As I dwell on it I'm liking the last two hours more and more. It's just a dream, it actually feels like one, but somebody else's dream you get to watch. I guess Laura's.

Still shook from that ending last night ahaha. God damn.
Reading thread reactions from last night is hilarious.

yeah it is pretty funny haha

you wanted a mindfuck weird show folks, be careful cos david lynch is a crazy old coot and will actually give you one

Levito

Banned
Oh no, you guys are really sticking with the "Mother" thing? I was hoping that would fade away now that the show is over and the only way the creature was referred to officially is Experiment (Model).
It's so strange how this fandom's theories started eating their own tail and somehow became this unofficial universal truth.

God forbid people have fun theorizing over abstract stories and surrealistic media. Let's all just be really mad about the finale instead, or something.

Bebpo

Banned
So I doubt I'll ever rewatch season 3, honestly. I felt there were a lot of things I let slide because "Lynch gonna Lynch" and in the hopes that it would come together in the end.

But hours and hours of Dougie only to get about 5 minutes of Cooper was underwhelming. And senseless IMO (make sense of it). Evil Cooper's intentions at this point seem suspiciously improvised on Lynch's end. Episode 8 was good (not a masterpiece) but honestly... I never asked for Laura Palmer to be some divine entity. Bob lost all of his sinister presence with Evil Coop. Instead of being some demon/spirit that feeds on pain and suffering and attacks people's insecurities/weaknesses, he was just a comic book villain reacting passively to what was going on around him (even the arm wrestling scene had emotionless delivery). Like, am I supposed to care that Evil Coop was... Trying to, what, find Phillip Jeffries, so he can, uhh, discover the meaning of Judy?

Lynch had some severe problems in his pacing/editing this season that most people defended as "it'll all come together by the end, it's all there for something" etc. but, I don't see it. Four redundant scenes of Jacoby's radio show, his golden shovels (which were present in the SECOND scene of the season!), all that was... for nothing IMO. And if it had any meaning, it was poorly telegraphed.

The Mitchum Bros. were just left off to the side to witness Lynch's mindfuck. James didn't even acknowledge Coop's presence. A British guy with a green glove (seriously, what) defeated Bob and sent him to the depths of hell from whence he came... Like, man. This was just bad. And I'll clarify again, this is just my opinion, but this was a badly told story. And sure in many cases Lynch has excelled in creating a sense of tension hiding in plain sight, an existential dread, etc. Particularly in the sound design (which has been outstanding).

The end of episode 17 with a dimension-bending Sarah Palmer thrashing a piece of broken glass at Laura's picture was phenomenal if only because of the lighting and sound. Yes, Laura Palmer's shriek and disappearance in the forest unsettled me. Yes the shot of her screaming and the lights going off in the Palmer residence was atmospheric, and represented the Hell that Cooper has seemingly stepped into... But it's not like that automatically excuses the fact that the story was inconsistently told. Characters were just unceremoniously killed off (or just plain standing off on the sidelines) because... they didn't serve a purpose anymore. And that's the problem. Characters, instead of being actual people, were mostly a representation of an idea. Evil incarnate/Good particularly. Even Norma and Ed's reunion felt undeserved, as Norma spent most of the season leafing through receipts, and Ed barely made his season 3 debut an episode or two before it happened.

Also, one of my biggest disappointments, which cemented itself in episode 8, is that the surreal elements from the show now turned into something with rules. Something that indisputably exists. It feels like Lost, or something, rather than a surreal representation of the evil that dwells inside man.

I doubt I'll rewatch season 3 ever again, but I'll still hold on dearly to seasons one, two, and especially the movie.

Yeah, I'm about on the same page.

Ashby

Nothing in episode 18 was terrifying. The scream at the end was mildly chilling. How did anyone think that car scene was terrifying as well?

Agreed. Felt like a pretty standard cliffhanger in the moment. If an episode of LOST ended that way I wouldn't have felt it was out of character (Timeline/reality revealed to be different than expected>character suddenly "comes online">ending). Come to think of it, it was pretty much the finale of LOST lmao

Kaako

Felium Defensor
As I dwell on it I'm liking the last two hours more and more. It's just a dream, it actually feels like one, but somebody else's dream you get to watch. I guess Laura's.

yeah it is pretty funny haha

you wanted a mindfuck weird show folks, be careful cos david lynch is a crazy old coot and will actually give you one
Mindfuck is what I asked for. Mindfuck is what I got. I feel satisfied lol.
Bring on more Twin Peaks!

(...)

Judy's was the name of the diner Coop went to in ep 18 wasn't it? Although, it wasn't in Seattle.

I feel like the above could be stretched to fit the new Judy stuff, it would however be harder to make it work with the hotel scene from The Missing Pieces. Jeffries asks the receptionist if Judy had been there.

Top Bottom