• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

I think the look on Sheryl Lee's face is the face of all of us.

twin-peaks-finale-reczpuwm.jpg

Cooper's total confusion is the real horror ending. He has absolutely no idea what is happening or what to do, which is a first.

It's also totally different, of course, from Dougie/Coop's brain-scrambled confusion. All the awards to MacLachlan.

Edit: It's kind of funny that people are cherishing FWWM now as part of sacred classic Twin Peaks when that thing got shit on from a great height when it came out, haha. I guess we all need time to adjust to whatever Lynch/Frost feel Twin Peaks is.

Anyone else feel like the world feels really Twin Peaks today? Walking around?

YES! Last night I had to go with my dad to the hospital due to a recent surgery. It was dark, rainy and I was really tired and a bit sick. Spent hours there and it was all so weird. Almost surreal. And the ride home I was half asleep. Waking up today, last night felt dreamlike and today there's been a constant fog and downpour making where I live feel like a small enclosed haze-like bubble. Really fucking strange.

Levito

Banned
Cooper's total confusion is the real horror ending. He has absolutely no idea what is happening or what to do, which is a first.

It's also totally different, of course, from Dougie/Coop's brain-scrambled confusion. All the awards to MacLachlan.

He really did play, what--4 different characters this season? Cooper, Mr. C, Dougie, and alternate timeline(Richard?) Cooper. Kyle really did an amazing job.

He really did play, what--4 different characters this season? Cooper, Mr. C, Dougie, and alternate timeline(Richard?) Cooper. Kyle really did an amazing job.

If you want to get real technical, he played five since the new Dougie made from Cooper is different from the Mr. C seed!

Levito

Banned
I hope he can get an Emmy out of this. Dude was nothing short of amazing.

Pretty sure he'll get nominated at least. Cooper's awakening is a perfect example of how good he is--I knew it was Cooper the moment he sat up. Dougie had a particular body language(eg: he was slightly hunched over, really stiff in the limbs) that wasn't there at all.

I hope Twin Peaks makes the awards season and Lynch only sends up clips of episode 8 and the Diane / Coop sex scene for them to use in the montages

Wont it be up for grabs for the 2018 Emmys?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Cooper's mannerisms from the moment the door opened showed how completely lost he felt. This becomes even more obvious when he starts grasping at straws by asking Alice Tremond if she knew who owned the house before the person they bought the house from. He wanted something, anything that could ground him in a sense of place and time. He didn't get that. "What year is it?" was the final nail, as he had no idea what exactly had happened as he and Diane traversed the E-LEC-TRI-CI-TY 430 miles away from Twin Peaks.

It's such a fantastic scene full of emotion for the viewer to unpack. All while MacLachlan shifts himself between subtle shades of the previous Coopers. Very well earned.

Hazanko

Banned
Best season of Twin Peaks. Most TV shows don't really stick in the back of your mind but this season has stuck with me. The sense of dread and confusion from the last episode still lingers.

So during the credits when Laura is whispering to Coop, does that suggest the loop has started again and he's about to embark on another attempt to save Laura?

Or, has he been attempting to save Laura during his entire time in the Lodge?

Why does he kiss Diane? What about Annie? She was his lover when he left this plain of existence for purgatory in the lodge.

My brain hurts.

Did anyone in the show exist?

Possibly not.

Agreed. Felt like a pretty standard cliffhanger in the moment. If an episode of LOST ended that way I wouldn't have felt it was out of character (Timeline/reality revealed to be different than expected>character suddenly "comes online">ending). Come to think of it, it was pretty much the finale of LOST lmao

It makes it really easy to spot who's just a Lynch fan. The hyperbole is palpable. The "fucking" scene was more creepy and it was creepy in a "is this really consensual sex I'm watching" kinda way.

Ohh hey cooper is lost again and doesn't know where or when he is. OH NOEZ!

I'm literally falling asleep with Laura on the drive.

Still pissed off he sent the Mitchums to twin peaks for a shitty one liner.

Edit: It's kind of funny that people are cherishing FWWM now as part of sacred classic Twin Peaks when that thing got shit on from a great height when it came out, haha. I guess we all need time to adjust to whatever Lynch/Frost feel Twin Peaks is.

It's been liberating and interesting watching Twin Peaks untouched. I've been meaning to watch it for years but it wasn't until The Return I decided to jump in. No expectations, just watch everything unfold by myself. The season 2 finale for example I didn't think was amazing, just good, weird and beautiful television and season 2 overall wasn't bad. Enjoyed pretty much all of it (although obviously the back half was way worse than what came before).

Likewise, I think Fire Walk With Me is the best Twin Peaks after The Return.

Flipyap

God forbid people have fun theorizing over abstract stories and surrealistic media. Let's all just be really mad about the finale instead, or something.
That's... kind of the opposite of what I'm saying, but okay. I'd rather see new theories form around the thing, than see people get hung up on a single explanation of a thing that is clearly meant to be inexplicable.

It makes it really easy to spot who's just a Lynch fan. The hyperbole is palpable. The "fucking" scene was more creepy and it was creepy in a "is this really consensual sex I'm watching" kinda way.

Luckily I've been in the "acceptance" phase of the five stages of grief since around episode 12, so no more anger for me. But, yeah, I was totally disappointed in these past two episodes. The Mitchum Bros. one-liner was awful. We essentially saw Jim Belushi just witness Lynch's salvia trip.

The long commute with Laura was just frustrating.

If nothing else, I'm just impressed that they took the time to give us resolution on Jerry Horne being lost in the woods of all threads that needed closure.

Luckily I've been in the "acceptance" phase of the five stages of grief since around episode 12, so no more anger for me. But, yeah, I was totally disappointed in these past two episodes. The Mitchum Bros. one-liner was awful. We essentially saw Jim Belushi just witness Lynch's salvia trip.

I thought the Laura drive was actually pretty scary, with an impending sense of doom and dread. I was more impatient with the Diane stuff earlier on in the episode.

Vectorman

Banned
If nothing else, I'm just impressed that they took the time to give us resolution on Jerry Horne being lost in the woods of all threads that needed closure.

Somehow got teleported to Wyoming. They solved that but didn't discuss what the humming noise in the Great Northern was about.

liquidtmd

Banned

We've spent many episodes watching Jerry run around the woods, generally acting high. Resolution - held without charge, naked. Brother comes to pick him up

Starring Kyle Maclachan

Levito

Banned
Who is the dreamer?

Leo was the dreamer. All of season 3 took place in Leo's head when he was in a wheelchair in season 2. "New shoes"--Cooper lost his shoes coming into the real world in episode 3. It was social commentary on how people like to ignore the fact that
THIS IS WHERE WE LIVE, SHELLY.

nachum00

haha, it has some good stuff in it, but I think Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet are waaaaay better than this, though.
You see I would've agreed with you last week And even put season 3 near the end of his filmography but that last hour just destroyed me like no other work he's done besides Mulholland Drive.

liquidtmd

Banned
Leo was the dreamer. All of season 3 took place in Leo's head when he was in a wheelchair in season 2. "New shoes"--Cooper lost his shoes coming into the real world. It was social commentary on how people like to ignore the fact that
THIS IS WHERE WE LIVE, SHELLY.

Leo was...proto Dougie?

Courage

Nothing in episode 18 was terrifying. The scream at the end was mildly chilling. How did anyone think that car scene was terrifying as well?

The thematic significance is what's chilling to me. In a more symbolic sense, It's as if Cooper trying to save Laura also deleted Twin Peak's system32 folder and returned them to an alternate reality, where evil still largely exists, and Laura's scream in the end reminds us of her abuse and the horror that cannot be undone.

Vectorman

Banned
I still don't understand why Ben never mentioned Audrey during the Richard shenanigans other than Lynch holding back until Richard and Mr. C confirm that Audrey had him. In Secret History, Ben was constantly near Audrey while she was in the coma. But I guess that goes for Norma never mentioning what happened to her sister after she was taken by an insane ex-FBI guy into a dark dimension.

It felt like after 15 and 16 he was going to keep that pace and close a lot of arcs. I suppose in a way, rewriting Laura's death in that reality probably closed off all the arcs as most wouldn't have even started. There was just so much left hanging.

The ending felt like watching twin peaks meets inception but with filler

I mean, kind of? It doesn't really justify his aimless wandering in the forest. His arc literally ends with "He's naked and lost in Wyoming".

Also that Room 315 key just materialized into Coop's hands as he teleports to that boiler room.

I don't feel like any of the individual stories actually DID come together at the end. It just kind of happened. Evil Coop teleported to the sheriff's station and uhh... Lucy killed him. Then Cooper arrived, and Gordon, and Hawk, and Bobby just kinda stumbles in, and there you have it. That phone call in the beginning with Gordon and how all of a sudden there's a few beep bloop beeps and Tammy and Albert suddenly know everything was really badly written.

Blader

Then it just makes him look all the more like an idiot when the White Lodge sends him to TP instead. Not sure if I like that angle.

I think, like Cooper, the Doppelganger is playing a game with forces he think he has a handle on but ultimately gets played by. Cooper is using his knowledge and connections with the lodge spirits to do good: to stop his doppelganger, stop Judy, save Laura. The Doppelganger is using his knowledge and lodge connections for evil: to avoid being sent back to the Black Lodge and instead make his way into the White Lodge.

Now that I think about it, he's a lot like Windom Earle in this regard. Earle wanted to get into the Black Lodge because he thought he could manipulate its power for himself, but all he did was get himself killed by BOB. The Doppelganger might have had similar plans for the White Lodge, but once he gets there he's suddenly trapped in a cage and the Fireman sends him out to the sheriff's station to be killed. And like Earle, the Doppelganger ends up dead and burning in the Black Lodge.

So during the credits when Laura is whispering to Coop, does that suggest the loop has started again and he's about to embark on another attempt to save Laura?

Or, has he been attempting to save Laura during his entire time in the Lodge?

Why does he kiss Diane? What about Annie? She was his lover when he left this plain of existence for purgatory in the lodge.

My brain hurts.

I don't know if it's about starting another time loop, I think it's just symbolic of how this whisper tied to their fates together and damned them forever, in all worlds.

It makes it really easy to spot who's just a Lynch fan. The hyperbole is palpable.

With the exception of Mulholland Drive (which I liked but had an overall very peculiar experience watching it) I hadn't seen anything from Lynch before this year, until I went through Twin Peaks and Fire Walk With Me in just a couple months before The Return started. So this show, and particularly this season, actually turned me into a Lynch fan, haha.

Airola

The real ending of the show is not the cheesy hokey way to tie up loose ends, it is Dale realizing that Laura Palmer can't be saved and he sacrificed himself (and possible the whole twin peaks timeline) by trying to do so.

This should've been the premise of season 3.

Things that happened in between the first few episodes and the last two aren't really necessary at all for this show to tell that to us.

With the original two seasons the ending of season 2 made the whole experience of what happened before it much more interesting than before. Now the ending of season 3 doesn't make me interested at all in watching the whole season again. Knowing the ending makes the things that were already boring during the first viewing more boring.

The ending only makes me feel this is how the season should've started.

Also while I loved Cooper as senile Dougie, I can't get anything out of the normal Dougie getting back to Janey and Sonny Jim. That makes even watching the Dougie plotline something that will have a disappointing ending.

I'm cool with how things turned out though. It's Lynch's and Frost's story to tell after all. The biggest take away from watching this series for me was, not everything has to make sense or have a crystal clear answer. I guess we kinda expect that with our entertainment, we want resolution for everything, we're so used to that comfortable small bubble it creates where we are told everything we want to know, eventually. Lynch, at times, ventures into the unknowns that plague our own realities and existence, some of which have no clear answers, and sprinkles them into his storytelling. Just like dwelling on our own unknowns can be uncomfortable, season 3 made us feel that as well. Can't say that's a bad thing.

Things not making sense isn't what the problem of season 3 was.

I can fully accept being showed things that don't make sense at all. Those things just have to be interesting to me. Lynch and Frost told a story and it ended up being more a miss than a hit. There is no way around that for me. Even if Season 4 would give context to everything it would not make this season be any better than it now is.

They even managed to make previous nonsensical mysteries less interesting.
Questions like "what Judy means", "what Blue Rose means", "why Laura screamed in FWWM" and "who is Diane" all have now given answers that made those go in directions I'm not interested to follow.

And it's not that I'm frustrated that some plotlines and characters shown in this season went nowhere. It's not that I need a resolution to those things. It's just that now those things are just boring to watch again. They could've been interesting things that never get a conclusion. But now they are boring things that never get a conclusion. There's the difference.

I feel the same, more or less, I just think a lot of the knee jerk reactions to the ending -- including my own! -- of "Please tell me there will be a S4!!" is kind of predicated on the idea that a fourth season would then resolve this cliffhanger. Which, maybe it would, but then there'd just be another one after that.

No it wouldn't have to resolve that cliffhanger. It could just show us them being in that reality. Nothing has to be solved there. Just give us something interesting to watch.

Some people are going to write this opinion off as pretentious bullshit, so I just want to preface it by saying I didn't love this season and I thought several episodes were boring and pointless, and it might still be pointless overall - but here it goes:

I think typical prestiege TV drama fans just don't know what to make of this thing. I don't think they get it. They talk about it in terms of 'villains going out like bitches' and 'og coop is back baby!' etc, and that's just not the field this this was playing in. It wasn't a continuation of Twin Peaks the 90's sensation, either, it was something else. It was an alternate reality Twin Peaks, from the start. It might actually be a very deep and interesting thing, I can't say right now because I just saw it and haven't thought about it, or it might not be. The only thing I know is that this is arthouse cinema masquerading as a premium cable TV drama, and people who don't know how to take arthouse cinema don't know how to deal with this, so you just get a bunch of dissatisfied people and the consensus will eventually be that this season was bad, but it actually wasn't bad, it just wasn't Twin Peaks season 3.

I've watched my share of arthouse stuff and I can take things that make sense and things that don't make sense and anything in between.

I don't need to have "normal tv" for me to like it.

This season just wasn't that good. Not as a season of Twin Peaks and not as another show.

There were good moments here and there but it was a disappointment no matter what angle I want to look at it. It's a disappontment in two ways. One is that I have certain expectations for Twin Peaks as I've been a huge fan since 1991 when I was 8-9 years old and I've been reading about it and watching everything about it all these years in between. So in that level it didn't give me much at all.
Another disappointment is that whenever I start to watch anything, I will expect it to be at least interesting. If it's not, I don't like it. So even outside the context of Twin Peaks this show left me cold. And I'm all for weird arthouse shit. This left me quite cold even as that. Sure, there were good moments here and there, but overall it just wasn't that good. It left me no interest to watch the season again.

This? We'll be debating for years, until the day when if we are really lucky, more comes along. We'll have a lot of answers about season three... but I'll be expected to be left with a whole host of questions when that hypothetical season 4 ends.

I'm afraid I lost my will to debate about Twin Peaks with season 3.
For the past 15 years or so I've been active in reading things about Twin Peaks and discussing about all kinds of theories. Now for the first time ever I have the feeling that I'm not into doing that anymore.

I think it's because I feel the new mysteries drowned the old mysteries with less interesting things there used to be. The answers and new questions put the old mysteries in less interesting directions.

The War on Enthusiasm marches on

Blader

Somehow got teleported to Wyoming. They solved that but didn't discuss what the humming noise in the Great Northern was about.

It's the door in the boiler room that leads into the same convenience store/motel world that the Doppelganger visited and where Jeffries lives.

No it wouldn't have to resolve that cliffhanger. It could just show us them being in that reality. Nothing has to be solved there. Just give us something interesting to watch.

Showing any more would resolve the cliffhanger just by virtue of showing more.

9Tk9kA2.png

Bill: I have to tell you something.
Bill: I wasn't there, but I had a dream that night.
Bill: That I was in her apartment.
Phyllis: You were there.
Phyllis: Your fingerprints are there.
Bill: No, I swear to you, I wasn't there.
Bill: I swear to you, it was a dream!

I mean, kind of? It doesn't really justify his aimless wandering in the forest. His arc literally ends with "He's naked and lost in Wyoming".

Also that Room 315 key just materialized into Coop's hands as he teleports to that boiler room.

I don't feel like any of the individual stories actually DID come together at the end. It just kind of happened. Evil Coop teleported to the sheriff's station and uhh... Lucy killed him. Then Cooper arrived, and Gordon, and Hawk, and Bobby just kinda stumbles in, and there you have it. That phone call in the beginning with Gordon and how all of a sudden there's a few beep bloop beeps and Tammy and Albert suddenly know everything was really badly written.

Truman gave Coop the hotel key.

Evil Coop was teleported to the sheriff's station by the Fireman, the coordinates were a trap to send him to the Fireman, to then send him to Cooper to be destroyed with the owl ring. He's killed by Lucy because she "figures out how cell phones work" which was actually a surprisingly funny and neat callback, ha ha.

I don't actually disagree with your issue that there was a ton of arbitrary resolution during the season but it also sounds like you got bored/frustrated with the finale and missed some stuff.

Truman gave Coop the hotel key.

Evil Coop was teleported to the sheriff's station by the Fireman, the coordinates were a trap to send him to the Fireman, to then send him to Cooper to be destroyed with the owl ring. He's killed by Lucy because she "figures out how cell phones work" which was actually a surprisingly funny and neat callback, ha ha.

I don't actually disagree with your issue that there was a ton of arbitrary resolution during the season but it also sounds like you got bored/frustrated with the finale and missed some stuff.

No, of course I caught those things. I just mean that nothing felt of importance, everything was casual like "oh by the way, here's a key" and "Yes I must go now" strangely clairvoyant Cooper.

I understand why Evil Coop was transported, too, I just mean that everything was far too contrived/convenient. Like Lynch/Frost were like "Okay time to wrap this up"

Vectorman

Banned

Honestly don't understand why they wasted time with Hastings having a wife especially with how Doop just shoots her dead and they sweep that 'she's cheating with his friend' plotline under the rug. He doesn't even teally mention her in the interview with Tammy. He could have easily been single and you could still get the same conversations with the cops etc.

So many unresolved issues, I wish Bobby and Hawk got more involved. That zombie lady in the car still confuses me.

I am very grateful though that Miguel Ferrer got to be in the entire season.

Top Bottom