• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

Slaythe

Some of you'd buy a used Jigsaw from Lynch and upon finding out that half the pieces were missing and that it looked nothing like the box art would proclaim him a genius.

latest

I shit on Lynch plenty for episode 5 6 and 12. I thought part 18 was fantastic TV. "Bad conclusion" or not.

I still want to know how Annie is.

She was killed by bad Coop 25 years ago.

Cooper moved on off screen.

Really, that's the only logical explanation.

gimmmick

So for the 21 percent of people that actually care, what the fuck happened to Audrey at the end of episode 15 or 16? (one where she was dancing and at the end takes her to a white room where she is screaming).

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Speaking of Phyllis, what was that line Mr. C said to her just before he killed her? Something about her "acting human quite well"? What was that about?

"You follow human nature perfectly" and that he was using George's gun to shoot her. And then her body hit the ground like 90% of the season's plot threads.

A lot of you are talking about TP lore and multiverse but can anyone succinctly try to summarise what Lynch is trying to say about the world? If anything at all.

Airola

So let's reflect on what hopes I had here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=247735286&postcount=795

My realistic expectations:

-Bob shows up in a horrifying scene. The mirror scene in episode 5(?) used Bob way better than I ever hoped this season would show him. Even though it was a great and quite creepy scene, it wasn't even nearly as frightening as some of the stuff seen in season 2 though. So I'm expecting at least one more use of Bob and I'm expecting it to be amazingly creepy. I expect his laughing face from episode 14 to appear somewhere.

Lol.

-A new place in the Lodge we have never seen before. There will also be a new way how time and space are going weird. Just like the "Purple Room" scene was made in a completely new way, I expect there to be another new idea brought in the last two episodes.

Didn't happen.

-Another appearance of Wally Brando. And if not appearance, he will be mentioned/acknowledged in some fashion (I will accept even showing how he never was in the picture with Andy and Lucy, if there happens to be some sort of a "dream fantasy" plot going on).

Nope.

Oh wait, I think Lucy mentioned Wally. Or did she?
So that would go to acknowledging him.
I watched the episode twice but can't remember :/

-Cooper and Gordon Cole meet and their chemistry is as great as it ever was. There needs to be a scene where the exact opposite to the "Cole meets Mr. C" scene happens.

Lol, no.

We got
Cooper: "Gordon."
Gordon: "Coop."

We really got none of the moments I hoped Cooper would get to have in the town of Twin Peaks. A car drow fast past the Twin Peaks sign. Cooper ran in the sheriff station. He tripped there. And he was gone.

It kinda sucks that only Mr. C got the best interactions between Gordon Cole and the people in Twin Peaks. And even those were quite a small things.

-Philip Gerard shows up in the real world.

No.

-We get to see/hear what happened to Donna.

Well at least her name was mentioned in FWWM flashback, lol.

My unrealistic expectations:

-For some reason the cold feeling of the Red Room in this season has been intentional and they'll suddenly bring back the same warmth and closed feeling seasons 1 and 2 and FWWM had. The coldness has been because of some plot reason and now that plot advances and we get to experience the Red Room in the way we used to.

Oh I wish.

-Annie appears (dead or alive - probably dead)

hehe

-Ontkean as Truman makes a quick appearance. Maybe dies and appears in the Lodge after that.

Nope.

-Sam Stanley and Chet Desmond make an appearance.

No.

-Windom Earle is seen in some form or another in the Lodge.

Nope.

-Leo is acknowledged.

Yes!
Just an old scene in a flashback but damn it I loved to see him being there.

-The Annie/Lana Miss Twin Peaks weirdness from the Secret History is explained at least a bit.

Well kinda, sorta...
In the most vague possible way.

-We see a "what if" kind of scene that shows the Palmer family as if Laura had never been killed, and Bob will be part of that scene.

Could've gone there but never did.

liquidtmd

Banned
A lot of you are talking about TP lore and multiverse but can anyone succinctly try to summarise what Lynch is trying to say about the world? If anything at all.

The past and the things we once sought solace in can still be glimpsed fleetingly, akin to Cooper waking as perfect OG Coop and Audrey dancing her dreamy dance both in EP 16 - but they aren't real. The real world has become a darker place.

We can never go home or back, and if we try we will find the truth unsettling

I think this David Lynch production might be about the encroaching evils that exist below the surface of the facade of Americana.

Flipyap

I hate the concept of "Judy." It's so disappointing that the Twin Peaks universe has a "Big Bad" now. It's such a conventional trope. Fuckin' Coop is now just a galant knight that needs the help of the princess to slay the dragon.
I'm fine with the concept (though I don't really see it as a "big bad," the thing is so ill-defined, it's hard to think of it as one concrete thing), but the exposition introducing it was handled incredibly poorly with some of the clunkiest writing I've heard in a very long time. All of the metaphysical technobabble delivered by Gordon on this show was the absolute worst. Incidentally, it sounds a whole lot like the actual real world David Lynch trying to explain his sad cultish delusions of how the science works.

Wondering if anyone picked up on the fact that the RR2Go sign is missing on the side of the diner in the Part 18 universe version of Twin Peaks.

Kurdel

Banned
Some of you'd buy a used Jigsaw from Lynch and upon finding out that half the pieces were missing and that it looked nothing like the box art would proclaim him a genius.

You need to be delusional if you thought this ending would be anything else.

nachum00

You need to be delusional if you thought this ending would be anything else.
Seriously. Going into pretty much any of Lynchs work expecting answers and everything to be to tied up in a pretty little bow is insane. You'd have to be completely unfamiliar with him to expect that. But that's obviously not the case for most of these people griping about it.

DJMicLuv

What is the point of this? Is it okay if some people enjoy something you don't? Because this certainly isn't criticism of Lynch/Frost.

I just don't get why people want to belittle those for connecting to a piece of art.

It's fun to speculate and find meaning in something.

How fun is it to find meaning in something that has no meaning? And I generally like/love Lynch stuff, even Inland Empire, but there are posters here who are reading so much into so little, I don't think even Lynch knows what half of the imagery actually means - listen to him talk about meditation and the sea of universal consciousness, he ascribes meaning to things that he thinks are subconsciously meaningful even if he doesn't understand how. I know my Lynch and if I'm belittling anyone it's the folks who expect Lynch to have designed every aspect of the show and how they're eager to call 'genius' about anything that they personally don't understand. To me, Inland Empire worked where this series of Twin Peaks didn't. The main storyline could have been told in half as many episodes but because it was called 'Twin Peaks' it had to revolve around Twin Peaks and seemed like 17 episodes of desperately trying to make a new series that married the original with everything Lynch has done since and who he is now. So we got forced 'soap opera' sections that led nowhere, characters that appeared important but disappeared after one episode, 'mysteries' that were never explored, random 'red herrings'. The Lynch bits - episode 8, etc - were great and if we'd had another FWWM style movie to finish the story then it would probably have worked well - but there was too much that, when the final credits rolled, added up to nothing. The current ending has one version of 'the dream', but not the version we spent 16 episodes watching fail but one that meant that none of the events of season 1-3 of Twin Peaks actually happened.

So I'm not a big fan of the ending and think it sort of ruins the series for me but to imagine that all the missteps and mistakes were part of Lynch's genius master plan is as silly as it's always been and I don't mind taking the piss out of it

Blader

I hate the concept of "Judy." It's so disappointing that the Twin Peaks universe has a "Big Bad" now. It's such a conventional trope. Fuckin' Coop is now just a galant knight that needs the help of the princess to slay the dragon.

Now? Twin Peaks has always had a "big bad." It used to be BOB, now it's Judy. And Judy is a big bad in less of a final villain way and more of an elemental evil way.

The gallant knight who goes to slay the dragon and rescue the princess is basically exactly what happens in the S2 finale.

I've been pretty critical of the finale, but I still found it to be really unsettling and haunting. Granted, the car scene where they were being "followed" didn't spook me at all.

Did you watch it in a well lit room with distractions or something? I watched it in the middle of the night with headphones and I couldn't turn the lights on fast enough after the episode ended.

Dark, barley lit room. Unsettled is more accurate. That's how the last scene felt. That was the only scene though.

Tall4Life

When I was watching Season 2 for the first time this summer, I thought the final episode was a pretty conclusive ending to a lot of what had been going, it felt like a great culmination. Of course there was the cliffhanger with Boop at the end, but I was satisfied. This last episode has yet to leave me completely satisfied, though the analysis over the next few years will probably help that

Kayhan

where does the season 3 finale rank

Very high actually. Not as high as the end to The Shield but definitely top tier television.

I was enthralled from the start of Episode 17 to the end of Episode 18.

There is nothing else like this. And what a treasure it have been getting a show like this on the air.

I think the show ended very strong. There was a few stinker episodes here and there but overall I think the show was on an upward trajectory.

Episode 8 is an outstanding singular episode though.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Should have ended with Coop eating a piece of cherry pie, drinking a coffee, giving the camera a thumbs up, Andy tripping over the RR threshold, Lucy falling back in her chair, Leo walking into the scene with new shoes. The End.

gun_haver

It's a good point to bring up, and I think it's at the core of why a lot of people are having negative reactions to not just the finale, but the season in general: it isn't clear what this is about at all, except fear and dreams and decay. That's enough for some people, other people want a theme that they can actually look at and think about. Other Lynch stuff manages to have both worlds, but this one doesn't. It's kind of pure emotion/dream world logic all the way.

I think it's a flaw. Looking at it as a whole, if you remove the 'this is made by david lynch' aspect of it, this is a hugely flawed piece of work with a few high points.

Ashby

When I was watching Season 2 for the first time this summer, I thought the final episode was a pretty conclusive ending to a lot of what had been going, it felt like a great culmination. Of course there was the cliffhanger with Boop at the end, but I was satisfied. This last episode has yet to leave me completely satisfied, though the analysis over the next few years will probably help that

Season 2 finale was such a staggering work of art that there's a part of me that wants to cross over into the timeline where it (combined with the astounding final scene of FWWM) is still the finale of Twin Peaks.

How fun is it to find meaning in something that has no meaning? And I generally like/love Lynch stuff, even Inland Empire, but there are posters here who are reading so much into so little, I don't think even Lynch knows what half of the imagery actually means - listen to him talk about meditation and the sea of universal consciousness, he ascribes meaning to things that he thinks are subconsciously meaningful even if he doesn't understand how.

I don't think it makes much sense to say a piece of art has no meaning. If someone finds meaning, then it has meaning.

What's wrong with ascribing meaning to things that are sensed to be subconsciously meaningful?

liquidtmd

Banned
Should have ended with Coop eating a piece of cherry pie, drinking a coffee, giving the camera a thumbs up, Andy tripping over the RR threshold, Lucy falling back in her chair, Leo walking into the scene with new shoes. The End.

A happy ending that is a pastiche - I realise you may be mocking those wanting things tied up nicely and a happy ending in itself, but I don't agree it would have had to go that far.

I think thematically it would have been nice for Mr C and Coop to re-enter the Lodge and this time, over the years, Cooper didn't give into his fear.

Instead of getting punched by a guy with a glove, Bad Coop was beat by good Coop growing and facing down his fear.

The bittersweet ending of Coop pulling Laura away that night, her disappearing and him realising you can't change the past would have sat better than what we got as a closer but I never went into the finale expecting clear lines

nachum00

You forgot Annie walking into the RR and making out with Coop like 25 years never passed.

Kayhan

How fun is it to find meaning in something that has no meaning?

I think at the very least this show argues, or examines the argument, that

You can't really change the past
You can't ever really go back or home again. You have changed so things can't ever be the same again.

And from an artistic standpoint Lynch is clearly, explicitly, making the argument that providing explanations for art in absolute terms is a very negative force. That the mystery is part of the art and makes you think for yourself.

Linkin112

I wonder if the Final Dossier will detail this meeting between Briggs, Cooper, and Cole where Briggs seemingly just gave them an info dump of what would happen in Part 17 lol.

gun_haver

if nothing else, and it did give more than this, but i am glad it gave us adult bobby. what a nice man he turned out to be. i wish we'd seen a lot more of him.

smisk

There's some stuff I'm unsatisfied with, like never resolving whatever the fuck is going on with Audrey, but overall I thought the last episode was great.
The way they ended it with Coop trapped in an unfamiliar reality was just chilling.

Also regarding young Laura, it was definitely a different actress, there's a second Laura Palmer in the credits, and you could tell when she was facing the camera. Still really impressed with how they integrated that old footage.

Vectorman

Banned
if nothing else, and it did give more than this, but i am glad it gave us adult bobby. what a nice man he turned out to be. i wish we'd seen a lot more of him.

Yeah they just stopped with that arc he had with Shelley/Red and his daughter issues. Unless it's for later seasons idk.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
“Is it the story of the little girl who lived down the lane? Is it?”

TCcx7Ao.gif

wJCjt2Y.gif

c2QTN7C.gif

are Audrey and the Arm...are they one in the same...?

call for help

EdmondD

This is what I said last night.

I felt the same. I was actually interrupted during the end of 17. My brother and friend came over. So I had some time to digest ep.17 on it's own. It felt like a perfect bittersweet ending to season 3. Episode 18 felt like the beginning of season 4 mixed with Lost Highway 2. The more I think about the more I like it. I can't wait to rewatch it. I already rewatched some of ep.17 and the start of 18.

You forgot Annie walking into the RR and making out with Coop like 25 years never passed.
As opposed to Coop walking into the station and making out with Diane like 25 years never happened.

It's telling that a lot of the responses to criticism of the new season are absurdly exaggerated strawmen and nonsequiturs.

I don't think it's that simple.

It's not ALL a dream. I think reality and the dreamscape merged at the end of the season.

Episode 17 was absolutely a dream (the over the top cartoony sequences + the giant Cooper head kind of imply that), the result of the reality being broken / slipping into something else.

Episode 18 is not a dream anymore as reality shifted towards something else.

There's also the possibilities that the creations of the mind, those "dreams", also create actual realities. Kinda like Audrey's thing and now "Carrie"'s.

That being said, they did alter the original reality by preventing Laura's body from being found. So it's hard to say what remains of it. There might be no Dougie at all, Bobby might still be shit etc..

Yeah I totally get that but there are still too many loose ends to actually make somewhat of a concrete answer on the whole thing unlike the other seasons or Lynch's other works in general(Mulholland Drive for example). Like episode 17 doesn't just exist in a vacuum, it exists because of all the events that happened before it. Things are kind of all over the place now if you tried to piece it all together. In a way I'm hoping for a S4 but expecting nothing and that's fine, it just makes it hard to care that much about the events of S3 when you look at the entire piece. I enjoyed my time with S3 and overall, I love it even with its nonsense. I look forward to reading theories and shit.

e: The thing I keep thinking about is if the lodges posses that much power(dimensions, time travel, tulpas.etc) then what other things they could do? Adding to that why do they even have rules if they posses this much power over the world or whatever.

gun_haver

Yeah they just stopped with that arc he had with Shelley/Red and his daughter issues. Unless it's for later seasons idk.

yeah, man, shit. that stuff is all just left in the lurch.

i mean i liked the last 2 episodes but what the fuck was dave thinking just leaving a lot of this stuff completely unresolved. not in a 'wow, mysteries' kind of way but a 'uh i liked that story why did it just stop' kind of way.

nachum00

As opposed to Coop walking into the station and making out with Diane like 25 years never happened.

It's telling that a lot of the responses to criticism of the new season are absurdly exaggerated strawmen and nonsequiturs.
And vice versa?

You could go through my post history if you want. But I've definitely criticized the show. I actually hate Laura Derns' Diane. But I think expecting him to get together with Annie 25 years later is just as stupid as him making out with Diane.

The God

The ending just brought out a big "that's it?" from me even for a show that usually leaves more questions than answers

They dropped the ball with Evil Cooper imo. Was hoping we'd find out what his ultimate motivation was but we didn't even get that

Flipyap

More like, as if a different show aired 25+ years ago, because that wasn't a continuation of the Twin Peaks we knew.

It was fascinating watching responses to criticism evolve from dismissing anyone who wanted Classic Peaks back, to hostility against anyone who wasn't interested in fanservice and back to this.

gun_haver

More like, as if a different show aired 25+ years ago, because that wasn't a continuation of the Twin Peaks we knew.

It was fascinating watching responses to criticism evolve from dismissing anyone who wanted Classic Peaks back, to hostility against anyone who wasn't interested in fanservice and back to this.

a lot of people were convinced that it was going to circle back and make sense in a way they understood, and ep 16 really made it seem like it was headed in that direction, but i've always said - nothing they could do could make up for the huge amounts of clearly wasted time going on. this is a deeply flawed and at times outright bad 18 hours of weirdness.

and i'm one of the motherfuckers who actually like it.

I hope we don't get a season 4. Despite the colossal fuck up with Diane, I found the finale to be incredibly conclusive in the same way that the original finale was. Even after 25 years and knowing what was coming, Cooper was defeated once more. Laura cannot be saved. There is no happy ending for Twin Peaks. Love is not enough.

Any continuation would either be redundant or disappointingly upbeat.

Top Bottom