• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

OK, after marinating for a day, I feel like I have to get some thoughts out of me before I can go back to launching hot one liners (because, like James, Net_Wrecker's cool, he's always been always cool)

Damn good TV.

thumbs-up-header.jpg

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Latest interview with Fenn, post episode 16

“Um, David is very interesting, he’s very abstract. In the same way that you can meet a close friend 10 years later and it’s the same, it’s that. Because David saw something in my soul that connected with his soul. I think his daughter said it was like a first crush he had when he was young, or something like that. That’s why David’s work is so memorable. It’s never weird for the sake of it – everything is very deeply soul-based. That’s why it’s as intense as it is. That’s why it evokes big reactions, of love or hate.

“So being back in there, there was a road to get there that we had to walk on. Because it was happening, and then it wasn’t happening, and then it was happening… and I had some frustrations dealing with the whole show, with David, I just had feelings about it. So finally we came to terms with what we were doing, and he wrote this beautiful stuff for Audrey to do, that was upsetting and sad and haunting. It was David again. You go over to David’s pool and you dive in.

“One time I was supposed to do this scene, and I don’t think I was there at all, or I intellectualised it too much. It’s just this short scene where she gets really upset and she gets really lost. We went to shoot that, and we ended the day, and he knew subconsciously it wasn’t right. The next day I was totally lost and he said ‘well that’s the one’. And he didn’t say anything, we just knew. He’s a little maestro, a little magician.

“Understanding with David is overrated, don’t try to understand it. There’s no one way to understand it – however you interpret it, he would tell you that’s correct, and mean it. It’s not about his ego getting one thing across. He’s about all of us being connected on a larger level.”

Nothing about this ending makes S4 in any way realistic.

I think there is definitely room for a fourth season, however, I think we all agree it would have to step into a much more conventional direction which I don't know Lynch and Frost would be happy with. IMO the show in a way went over the point of no return after introducing time travel and dream/alternate reality stuff, seeing how crazy The Return has become after embracing the series' mythology the next part would be truly insane.

In all honesty I think it would've been perfect if the season would've been better distributed, we all wanted to see more about the townspeople et all and we simply didn't get it. Still baffled we got more Shelly and Steve which pretty much didn't add anything than, dunno Ben Horne, James or Audrey. Lots of characters that served virtually no purpose, Ben's assistant and his husband, the drug dealer guy with the coin... Richard with that ending. Even Andy getting his infodump didn't amount to pretty much anything.

Season was amazing but all over the place.

Vectorman

Banned
This has been my favorite take on the finale so far. It views the finale through a lens that results in an interpretation of Twin Peaks I'm most fond of: Not Laura as some Christ-like figure, just a girl who wasn't helped.

Then it's pretty much just 'it was all a dying girl's dream' trope. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DyingDream

Honestly I might like the ending better had we actually explored why Laura, her mother, her father, the Lodges, and the town are all so important in the first place. The majority of the season I felt did not set that up well.

Anyone here read up on Bill Hastings blog when we first heard about it?

I'm trying to find a specific article linked in it but I can't find it.

It's about those dual planets that Jeffries showed a diagram of when Coop talked to him in episode 17.

Not sure a lot of people read up on that but it was pretty awesome to see the planets and their gravitational path? in the show.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Turns out Julee isn't happy with how she was treated either. There's a post up on Reddit. Check it out.

I only got teary eyed on like 3 occasions in the season, it was with Sharon Von Etten's performance and this. It's a shame she felt she didn't get enough. But I feel it's probably the most important performance along with Eddie Vedder's and Audrey's Dance (although I'd say Julee's is thematically the most important).

I wonder what she had in mind. She was very hyped two days ago, saying in Instagram how she was hoping she'd done a good job. EDIT: Also, it's incredibly how everyone who finds fault in the show says it's David Lynch just slapping everyone in the face. Doing one's stuff without any external pressures probably gets those kind of responses.

Levito

Banned
I started thinking that most Lynch films give me this feeling.

Inland Empire did that to me... sort of. But this was on another level, Twin Peaks is so near and dear to my heart and it was way more harrowing than just being confusing.

Like the Log Lady said "the stars and electricity are dying" or something to that effect in one of the earlier episodes. Then the series ends with all lights going out, Cooper not at all in control of the situation, and Laura screams... chilling stuff.

Joqu

Did they overdub Julee with the original audio like they have done with (some?) other performances? I honestly can't tell, but maybe that's what's upsetting to her?

I wonder what she had in mind. She was very hyped two days ago, saying in Instagram how she was hoping she'd done a good job. EDIT: Also, it's incredibly how everyone who finds fault in the show says it's David Lynch just slapping everyone in the face. Doing one's stuff without any external pressures probably gets those kind of responses.

Yeah, I don't know. Maybe they recorded more stuff but that's all that made it onto the show? Maybe she just hated the finale?

I don't even know. There seem to be some indications that things weren't necessarily pleasant on set, but it's all very vague.

Levito

Banned
I know it doesn't really matter but it's kinda crazy to me that I think the only mention of Donna was the flashback to FWWM in episode 17....

YOU'RE MY DADDY

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I don't know. Maybe they recorded more stuff but that's all that made it onto the show? Maybe she just hated the finale?

I don't even know. There seem to be some indications that things weren't necessarily pleasant on set, but it's all very vague.

I guess it's possible. I also want to add that she had cosmetically the best performance. I love how she's highlighted with the rest of the band being just dark silhouettes.

Talking about extra recorded stuff: was the Pete fishing footage ever featured in any episode in the original run?

Audioboxer

Just finished the episodes. I'm up early tomorrow so I probably should have waited and been sleeping by now lol.

I don't quite know what the fuck I just watched. Episode 17 is such a contrast to 18, but even some things in 17 were making my head spin.

The what year is it followed by the screaming is one hell of a bitch of a cliffhanger lol. If Lynch ends Twin Peaks here fans will be hounding him till he is sadly no longer with us.

Jesus, Julie is pissed. Lynch and her were estranged at another point in time but squashed it. It seems like she's upset about how much screentime she got and doesn't think she was treated with the proper respect. She also thinks Lynch did it on purpose as a slap in the face to her.

I was hoping for a new collaboration between her, Angelo, and David but thought that using The World Spins again was good. Especially in the context of how it was used. It's not like she was thrown in at the end of some filler episode, it was right in the middle of the finale. I don't know what she was expecting unless there's more info we don't know.

On this thread: From moment 1, there's been a feeling that some have been downplaying the praise as Lynch fanboys losing sight of his failings, or falling victim to hyperbole, or whatever, and it's annoying. I'm not going to go back through 2 OTs and thousands of posts to pick fights and call people assholes, but there have definitely been more than a few posts displaying asshole tendencies, at the very least (and if you're feeling a type of way right now, it was probably you. Yes you, with all that salt in your veins). To these people I say- Get a grip. Open your eyes to the fact that other can earnestly enjoy something you don't, and find meaning in something you can't. That doesn't mean anyone thinks you're dumb, it's just means it's not for you. it's possible to discuss what you didn't like about the season without attacking the people who did. Lynch operates on emotion, sometimes putting sequences together purely to stimulate something in you, disregarding narrative logic to take you to a dream place and express ideas abstractly. This will not hit everyone the same way. He knows this. You should know this. It's OK to not like this. We've been here before. If Lynch makes something else, we'll be here again.

Good post.

Just finished the episodes. I'm up early tomorrow so I probably should have waited and been sleeping by now lol.

I don't quite know what the fuck I just watched. Episode 17 is such a contrast to 18, but even some things in 17 were making my head spin.

The what year is it followed by the screaming is one hell of a bitch of a cliffhanger lol. If Lynch ends Twin Peaks here fans will be hounding him till he is sadly no longer with us.

That's just the way he would want it. He never offers up explanations for... well... anything he's ever done! Pointless to even ask honestly. It's such a Lynch way to end things. Way more uncertain than season 2 which was just a pretty standard cliff-hanger ending. This is much more... troubling.

Vectorman

Banned
Well people, it's been a pleasure watching this season with you all. I hope I wasn't too much for those who were positive about the season. While I may not have enjoyed the season, I throughly enjoyed reading your theories, live reactions, and hot takes. If this is to be the final season...well it was something alright. At least we got some sweet music out of it. Even if we didn't get enough Angelo...;_;. I should probably stop myself before I get sad again lol. Cheers, TPGAF.

Joqu

I can't know what went down behind the scenes, but I feel like Julee's performance capping off episode 17 is about as respectful as it gets, she basically got the most important credits performance aside from maybe the first chromatics one.

So it's a shame she feels the way she does. I loved having her back though, I thought it was pretty powerful stuff.

spiders was the dreamer

think about it

Y'all this entire mythology was just Leo trying to convince Shelly that THIS IS WHERE WE LIVE.

leo's new shoes are the dreamer

Levito

Banned
Well people, it's been a pleasure watching this season with you all. I hope I wasn't too much for those who were positive about the season. While I may not have enjoyed the season, I throughly enjoyed reading your theories, live reactions, and hot takes. If this is to be the final season...well it was something alright. At least we got some sweet music out of it. Even if we didn't get enough Angelo...;_;. I should probably stop myself before I get sad again lol. Cheers, TPGAF.

Cheers friend, thanks for stickin around.

New interview with Kyle:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...e-explained-kyle-maclachlan-interview-1035013

He talks about his thoughts on the ending and confirms there have been "no discussions" about a season 4.

swIk4vL.gif

that moment is even more profound now than it was when it aired. Back then I cheered with tears but now it's just tears. What an amazing moment, not just because Dale Cooper got back but because he got back at a time when we needed him the most. Only for things to go south pretty quickly.

Joqu

Vectorman was always cool. no worries

stuminus3

one of my favourite shots of the whole show:

Screen_Shot_2017_09_04_at_06_04_27.png
This is a good catch! I just watched that scene again and the camera clearly pans to focus on the tree/light and stays focussed there for a couple of seconds after Cooper drives away.

From the angle Cooper would see them at together they'd look like the Arm. Curious that the tree's branches have been cut.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I don't think I can ever watch part 16 again. I was on such a high during that. It was like I was in a...dream. and for everything to happen after that the way it happened....i don't even know.

swIk4vL.gif

that moment is even more profound now than it was when it aired. Back then I cheered with tears but now it's just tears. What an amazing moment, not just because Dale Cooper got back but because he got back at a time when we needed him the most. Only for thing to go south pretty quickly.

In retrospect this is a very bitter-sweet moment. He probably already has everything planned out in his head, ready to execute and save the day (and past). In the end, his overconfidence gets the better of him.

Gah, I love this finale so much.

Audioboxer

On a rewatch it seems like the Fireman basically set a trap for Evil Coop all along. As soon as Evil Coop travels through the portal into what I presume is the white lodge, we see him stuck in some kinda cage, which is then immediately spat out directly at the entrance to the Twin Peaks sheriff station. Everything the Fireman has done has been to get this specific set of people to be at the station at this exact point in time, to kill Evil Coop and BOB, and it works pretty much perfectly.

I take episode 17 as almost a satire of the upbeat, happy ending to the series we probably all thought we wanted. After the above reunion, Cooper travels back in time, finds Laura on the night of her murder, and saves her life this time, altering the future like Marty McFly. With the music building up, and the scene of Pete going out fishing that morning, it's a beatiful moment. In many ways, that's your ending right there - and I think a certain type of audience member could definitely stop watching The Return at that point and call this a great success, with everyone living happily ever after. But having watched it twice now, I'm glad that's not what happens.

My take on ep 18 is that when Judy realises Cooper has changed the course of events and saved Laura from ever dieing, she yanks her away and traps her in basically a dream world prison alternate universe kinda thing. That's where Coop and Diane go in the final ep, to rescue Laura 'cos - presumeably - she's some kind of force for good or ultimately a weapon that will stop Judy permanently.

Coop thinks that finding trapped Laura in the dream world and driving her back to her house will snap her out of whatever spell she's under and whatever fake life she's living there, but when they arrive he realises it ultimately doesn't matter that they've driven all this way - they are still trapped in a fake reality in a fake time. I wonder if the more time he spends there the more he forgets that he's Coop too and sucumbs to this alternate world himself as well (drifting in and out of becoming "Richard"). We see this happen to Diane basically the first night they arrive and she bails on him.

I think it's ultimately an upbeat ending though, albeit a major cliffhanger, 'cos Laura does seem to snap out of it at that very final moment when she screams. I presume if we were to see just 10 more minutes of screen time, this fake prison dream world would come crashing down right there (which we see happening to the house), and Cooper and Laura would most likely be alive and well in the present, ready to face Judy. But we don't get that far.

----

Random other things; is Audrey also trapped in a similar kinda prison world? If so why/how?

Additionally, in ep 18 could Coop's change of persona from positive cheerful good old Coop, to somber serious Coop, also coincide with the birth of the new Dougie 2.0? Perhaps Cooper had to sacrifice some of himself to "give" to Dougie when creating him - the price he had to pay. Dougie sure seems happy when he shows up at the door, whereas our Coop doesn't crack another smile from that point on. In fact he's 100% ice cold for the rest of the ep.

Fresh off watching and briefly checking some of the last few pages of this topic, this post reads pretty well.

Can anyone explain to me what was going on with Sarah Palmer though? Was she replaced? A doppelganger? Or something else?

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
swIk4vL.gif

that moment is even more profound now than it was when it aired. Back then I cheered with tears but now it's just tears. What an amazing moment, not just because Dale Cooper got back but because he got back at a time when we needed him the most. Only for things to go south pretty quickly.

Coop seemed so sure of himself and in control of the situation that we were all lulled into a false sense of security. "holy shit, he remembers everything and has a plan! maybe he's actually got this! he IS the FBI!"

noap.

Levito

Banned
So I just rewatched it again to confirm but when epsiode 18 concludes, the light in the Palmer house actually shuts off, then there's a bright flash of light, then every light source in the shot does after. It wasn't just like a fade to black editing thing.

Log lady's message:

"Hawk. Electricity is humming. You hear it in the mountains and rivers. You see it dance among the seas and stars and glowing around the moon, but in these days the glow is dying. What will be in the darkness that remains? The Truman brothers are both true men. They are your brothers. An the others, the good ones who had been with you…Now the circle is almost complete. Watch and listen to the dream of time and space. It all comes out now, flowing like a river. That which is and is not. Hawk. Laura is the one."

The song that plays at the end of the episode was called No stars....

Did Cooper just like inadvertently destroy the universe or something?? lol

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
swIk4vL.gif

If you notice, after S1 finale, Cooper just tries to get back into the game and try to get ahead, just for it to screw him over.

First he got shot twice. Then he got locked up in a purgatory for 25 years. And now he's possibly destroyed his own reality, all while losing his personality. If there was an S4, with how things are progressing for him, I'm half expecting him to be brutally dismembered in that finale.

Top Bottom