• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

EdmondD

This whole season I was wondering if they would mention the Chalfonts/Tremonds and how they would portray them. It blows my mind that they would end up being mentioned at the very end. Such a great ending.

s_mirage

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah, it was pointed out on Reddit that she was saying nothing but positive things until it seems that she actually saw the show. Was she expecting more screen time? Was the audio overdubbed and she's pissed about that? Is she mad because she didn't get an introduction like Nine Inch Nails. Eddie Vedder, James Hurley (lol), etc?

Her appearing meant a lot more than any of the other people though so I don't understand why she thinks Lynch disrespected her in any way, her music act was the big finale of sorts.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This whole season I was wondering if they would mention the Chalfonts/Tremonds and how they would portray them. It blows my mind that they would end up being mentioned at the very end. Such a great ending.

You know, they're more mysterious than The Fireman. I still don't understand them. They saw how Leland was "inspired" to kill Laura. Didn't do anything then, but did help her (maybe? I guess the ring did give her the choice of dying or being possessed). And now might have hindered Cooper's search for Sarah.

Weird as fuck.

tumblr_nd0y6vS3hg1sqtow1o1_500.gif

fire_walk_with_me_circle-01.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You know, they're more mysterious than The Fireman. I still don't understand them. They saw how Leland was "inspired" to kill Laura. Didn't do anything then, but did help her (maybe? I guess the ring did give her the choice of dying or being possessed). And now might have hindered Cooper's search for Sarah.

Weird as fuck.

tumblr_nd0y6vS3hg1sqtow1o1_500.gif

fire_walk_with_me_circle-01.gif

They're weird in the original series, but the movie made them a lot more interesting.

And it's interesting they aren't mentioned all season until the very end, and notable since they apparently also owned the trailer in Deer Meadows.

Levito

Banned
Now's the time to admit that I thought the Fat Trout Trailer Park was in Deer Meadows and not Twin Peaks(until this season).

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
They're weird in the original series, but the movie made them a lot more interesting.

And it's interesting they aren't mentioned all season until the very end, and notable since they apparently also owned the trailer in Deer Meadows.

Also that! They might have had a role in Chester Desmond's disappearance.

EdmondD

Another thing I was anticipating this whole season was a Julee Cruise performance. I thought her scene was done beautifully. I don't get why she is mad.

Joqu

You know, the OT title is rather fitting with how the season ended.

I'm rather pleased it's the one I went with, yeah. Ended up being more appropriate that I could have ever predicted.

Now's the time to admit that I thought the Fat Trout Trailer Park was in Dear Meadows and not Twin Peaks(until this season).

The sign said "new" so a move sounds canon to me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Going to rewatch 17 and 18 tonight. Looking forward to it. I've really enjoyed reading some of the reviews and analysis.

stuminus3

It seems like the Experiment ended up inhabiting her after leaving New York. The "do you want to fuck with this" voice sounds a lot like the voice of the fake Philip Jefferies in episode 2.
I'll be watching closely for this for any hints of it in my rewatch but yeah I'm pretty sure Sarah wasn't possessed or whatever until after the New York scene. It doesn't make sense that Mr C wouldn't know where to find her otherwise.

Now's the time to admit that I thought the Fat Trout Trailer Park was in Dear Meadows and not Twin Peaks(until this season).
It was. This is one thing that I didn't get. Did Carl just up and move the trailer park?

EDIT:
The sign said "new" so a move sounds canon to me.
Ah, I didn't catch that for some reason.

Joqu

Oooooh ok now it makes way more sense. It was kinda weird cause I thought "wait that means Cooper went to Twin Peaks looking for Chester Desmond in FWWM???"
Ay. I guess it's easy enough to move a trailer park. Carl should probably avoid the ominous electric poles by now though!

XvsFDaf_d.jpg

Dalek

So what caused Coop to become more "Mr. C"-like in the other reality?

Why did Diane cover his face during sex and then leave the next day? Is she trapped in this new reality?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Many theories:

- Cooper became a new character: Richard.
- Cooper is in focused mode and has no time for BS.
- Cooper has become an amalgamation of his doubles (which could be Richard).
- Cooper was replaced by someone named Richard (while he goes in to get the key to the motel room, and just like Diane could have been replaced by the other Diane who was staring her).

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Why did Diane cover his face during sex and then leave the next day? Is she trapped in this new reality?

Because they're Richard and Linda. While Coop still retains enough of his Coop'ness to not be Richard enough for Linda, which is why she leaves him.

hughesta

Banned
one thing eludes me: why was Dougie's ring in Briggs' stomach? A plant from Mr C to get Dougie dealt with? Wouldn't he have known the FBI would get involved and realize that he looked suspiciously like Cooper?

traveler

Not Wario
Why is Mr. C's head imprisoned once in the White Lodge(?)?

Is Major Briggs' head's presence supposed to indicate a kind of ascension?

hamchan

Clearly the fact that Cooper is teleported to Odessa means only one thing...

Twin Peaks takes place in the Heroes universe. Anything "supernatural" is simply the work of various superpowered humans. Bob is Skylar. Cooper has dream related powers. Everything makes sense now.

When Laura screamed and shut down the dream at the end, Cooper went to the same place that Peter Petrelli's Irish girlfriend went to.

EdmondD

From the Twin Peaks wiki: Sarah stood in her kitchen the next morning, February 24, 1989. She impatiently called for her daughter to wake up, but received no answer. After searching for Laura, she could not find her anywhere in the house.

Jeffries seconds before he disappears and after talking about dreams: "February 1989."

This shit just keeps getting crazier.

Blader

Why is Mr. C's head imprisoned once in the White Lodge(?)?

Is Major Briggs' head's presence supposed to indicate a kind of ascension?

Briggs escapes to the White Lodge using the coordinates he has Bill Hastings and Ruth Davenport get for him. The same coordinates that Mr. C is following.

The Fireman traps Mr. C once he enters the White Lodge and then sends him down to the sheriff's station to be killed.

From the Twin Peaks wiki: Sarah stood in her kitchen the next morning, February 24, 1989. She impatiently called for her daughter to wake up, but received no answer. After searching for Laura, she could not find her anywhere in the house.

Jeffries seconds before he disappears and after talking about dreams: "February 1989."

Wait a minute...

I was born in February 1989.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Levito

Banned

It's amazing how twisting the lore is now. In the international pilot, they find out Bob is the killer but he's just a guy that lives in the Great Northern's basement. Nothing supernatural. We've come a long way.

Joqu

You know, I always liked the interpretation that Cooper's darkness took over at the end of season 2, meaning Mr C absolutely is Cooper in the end and not so much some supernatural lodge being.

If "Richard" truly is an amalgamation of the two, perhaps that just means Cooper is whole again after his Doppelganger burns in the black lodge. I know Cooper seems different in the finale, but his shadow self did have 25 years to grow after all so maybe that's what's having an effect. Cooper very much was a personification of goodness for most of this season which does seem true to the character, but he did have his flaws in the original series and right at the end of this one. It works for me.

Cheebo

Banned
Am I the only one who sees how Audrey's scenes tie in to what we witnessed in episode 18? I am surprised how almost no one else is talking about it. Audrey's scenes tie very well to the journey across universes we see in episode 18.

Let's see:
In Audrey's scenes we witness an Audrey who seems confused about herself. Not quite sure who she is or what is real.

Who does she remind you of? Laura, Cooper, and Diane when they are in the "Odessa" universe as Carrie, Richard, and Linda.

And what happens when Audrey realizes her reality isn't real? It goes black and she snaps back to her reality. An Audrey that doesn't look like the one we know. Straight hair, no makeup. Perhaps in an institution.

What we witnessed was an Audrey from one universe "dreaming" of herself in the other reality. Somewhat confused and losing sight of who she was before a sudden realization and snapping back to her reality, wherever it may be.

This gives the final scene hope. Laura's scream and the house going dark is much like when Audrey realized her reality at the bang bang bar with Charlie wasn't her reality and suddenly woke up.

Perhaps like Audrey, Laura snaps back and awakens right there on the steps of the Palmer household but in her reality, with Judy inside?

When the Arm repeats Charlies line of "Is this the story of the little girl down the lane?" it is Lynch's clue to us. The answer was in the Audrey's scenes. We witnessed someone traversing one reality to another to be an alternate version of them self before the Odessa scenes, with Audrey. And she was able to wake up. Which means Laura too can wake up. And perhaps that is what we witnessed at the very end giving hope to the battle against Judy.

I really don't see how Cooper is anyone other than himself. Just rewatch when Laura opens the door and see his facial expression of joy and the earnestness he continues to have in explaining things to her in spite of her responses.

Before he sees who is behind the door at the Palmers when the door starts to open he shows a slight hint of optimism again before he sees it's not Sarah and directly refers to himself as Dale Cooper.

He is acting differently because he feels in his gut something is deeply wrong but when he sees glimmers of hope he lets down his guard. I'd feel pretty worried if I woke up in a room i didn't go to sleep in that someone snuck out of and found a letter from a woman with a different name to a man with a different name.

Ashby

I swear, the only glimpse of true reality we saw this entire season was Audrey in the white room looking into the mirror.

hughesta

Banned
I wonder if the Roadhouse scene at the end of Parr 9 has anything to so with Steven's scene prior to his death. He mentions going up to see the rhinoceros, and the girls in Part 9 talk about zebras and penguins, and mention that they've been doing drugs lately.

Damn! Now this is really something interesting to think about!

EdmondD

He changes as they are having sex which is why she becomes distressed and covers his face. When Richard/Coop wakes up the motel he leaves is a completely different motel and the car was a different car. He told Diane , "It could be different over there." I think it changed more than they were expecting or were ready for.

Big One

Banned
I see a lot of people saying the Coop overided the current Twin Peaks timeline, but I really don't think this was the case. Remember, Episode 18 opened with the creation of Dougie 2 by Mike to return to his family. This means that Dougie 2 and the original timeline still exists.

I think what happened is that Cooper created another timeline, but instead of being Twin Peaks w/ Laura Palmer, it was Twin peaks w/o Laura Palmer. This is why Laura disappeared once Coop was taking her to Jack Rabbit's Palace. Sarah aka Judy reacted negatively to this, and basically used her power to erase Laura Palmer from existence.

However this doesn't mean Laura is down just yet. Laura, afterall, was created by the Fireman back in the 1950s. It's possible Carrie Page is just an incarnation of "Laura" like the original Laura Palmer was. This might be the miscalculation on Judy's part, where she tried getting rid of Laura Palmer by erasing her existence all together, but "Laura" still exists, just like how "Bob" exists no matter what body he's housed in. "Laura" just happens to be the light that shines on darkness.

I think what happened is:

- "Laura" was created by the Fireman to combat "Bob".
- Coop went into the Black Lodge to save "Laura" by going into the past.
- Coop tried to change the timeline, but Judy changed it instead, creating a world without Laura Palmer.
- "Laura" however wasn't erased, and became Carrie Page in this new reality. Likewise, Dale Cooper became Richard and Diane became Linda (maybe Judy tried erasing them too).
- Cooper and Diane were driving on the road thinking they were going to be able to go to the new timeline Cooper thought he created and bring an adult Laura back to Twin Peaks.
- Things didn't go his way, because the new timeline isn't one he created, it was created by Judy.

As for Audrey who in the hell knows at this point.

Top Bottom