• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Listening to Chromatics' Shadow...

You're in the water
I'm standing on the shore

Still thinking that I hear your voice
Can you hear me?
Can you hear me?
Can you hear me?
Can you hear me?

At night I'm driving in your car
Pretending that we'll leave this town
We're watching all the street lights fade
And now you're just a stranger's dream
I took your picture from the frame
And now you're nothing like you seem
Your shadow fell like last night's rain

For the last time
For the last time
For the last time
For the last time

David Lynch, you motherfucker you!

I said it on the original thread, but shadow hits home for me way more than it should, and it will forever be one of my favourite things that have come out of this season for me.

anaron

Bummed as hell about Audrey not appearing and having no scene with Coop but damn....that was haunting.

It was obvious "Shadow" was lyrically indicative of something major the longer the season went on which I love.

hughesta

Banned
Tell me this will be continued somehow.
it will not. we will be getting a book from Mark Frost next month that reveals some things that happened before the start of the season, but unless a season 4 somehow happens, this is the end. and it's a perfect end.

jett

D-Member
I said it on the original thread, but shadow hits home for me way more than it should, and it will forever be one of my favourite things that have come out of this season for me.

The two-episode opener is still what I've liked the most this season. How it ended with Shadow was pretty much perfection.

Also, let's not forget Cooper communicated with Diane on a daily basis throughout the original run. Maybe we never got to see her but I wouldn't be surprised if they were intimate with each other then. There's also this scene.

For me personally it also works on a metatextual level, with MacLachlan and Dern being Lynch's two most prominent actors in his work, so them starting out as this naive couple chicken walking in Blue Velvet maturing in Lynch's mind to the solemn couple fucking in a grimy ass motel we saw last night is fulfilling in some weird, Lynchian way.

In Diane's story about her assault, she says that they only kissed once before. I find it unlikely that they boned, and even if they had, it would have only been one time. And in the series, we see Cooper's romantic involvement with Audrey, Annie, and Caroline, while remaining ever formal and professional with Diane over the tape recorder.

If Cooper was devoted to Diane, he would never have gotten so close to Audrey or fallen in love with Annie.

it will not. we will be getting a book from Robert Frost next month that reveals some things that happened before the start of the season, but unless a season 4 somehow happens, this is the end. and it's a perfect end.

I didn't know he was a Peaks fan :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age
it will not. we will be getting a book from Robert Frost next month that reveals some things that happened before the start of the season, but unless a season 4 somehow happens, this is the end. and it's a perfect end.

Wow, the Robert Frost?

Speaking of lyrics, I keep coming back to the song 'A Violent Yet Flammable Future' by Au Revior Simone.

Tonight I sleep to dream
Of a place that's calling me
It is always just a dream
Still I cannot forget what I have seen
The crowd's hard to believe
At their faces I'm looking
But your feet I'm following
In soft steps on a path the way you lead

I don't want to lose myself
It's a whisper
It's a funny thing
We fold like icicles on paper shelves
It's a pity to appear this way

Heartbreaking.

Shame this isn't on the Roadhouse Soundtrack release. I think it's a much better fit than Lark.

jett

D-Member
so is the Sarah Palmer scene in 17 "Judy" realizing its plan has been thwarted?

What is her plan though. Does she have a plan? What was Mr. C's plan anyway? Just fucking around?

Biggest question I have though is what happened to the thing that escaped from the glass box in the first episode. Did it go back to its home planet?

Linkin112

so is the Sarah Palmer scene in 17 "Judy" realizing its plan has been thwarted?
I took it as her realizing Cooper is trying to save Laura, so her stabbing the photo is her taking Laura back and (depending on which theory you subscribe to) sending her into a new reality/dream.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What is her plan though. Does she have a plan? What was Mr. C's plan anyway? Just fucking around?

Biggest question I have though is what happened to the thing that escaped from the glass box in the first episode. Did it go back to its home planet?

at this point it sure seems like the Experiment from the glass box is Judy and it made its way to Twin Peaks after the NYC incident to possess Sarah and get BOB back

JC Sera

I took that scene as the last vestiges of sarah herself struggling
in the grocery shop scene, you can see a part of her is still there, getting confused by jerky

Chitown B

Also, let's not forget Cooper communicated with Diane on a daily basis throughout the original run. Maybe we never got to see her but I wouldn't be surprised if they were intimate with each other then. There's also this scene.

For me personally it also works on a metatextual level, with MacLachlan and Dern being Lynch's two most prominent actors in his work, so them starting out as this naive couple chicken walking in Blue Velvet maturing in Lynch's mind to the solemn couple fucking in a grimy ass motel we saw last night is fulfilling in some weird, Lynchian way.

they weren't diane and cooper at that motel. they were richard and linda. You can tell by the way Cooper acts - not himself.

Chitown B

Once Bob was killed that plan of evil ended. In addition, then Coop making it so Bob could never have his victim in Laura (the golden girl) that sealed everything. So at that point, all had been wiped. Her death set off the chain of events to Bob's destruction, but saving her altered reality. I'm not really sure the logic here but I assume it can't be good for Sarah-Judy.

jett

D-Member
at this point it sure seems like the Experiment from the glass box is Judy and it made its way to Twin Peaks after the NYC incident to possess Sarah and get BOB back

Right, guess it could be Judy. So it just moved itself to Twin Peaks.

Do we know that Judy wanted Bob back? What for?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The Veil's Axolotl describes Richard and Audrey and Mr. C pretty well:
I'm glowing bright, obsidian
Axolotl amphibian
Un-elemental chemical
Got me growing six black tentacles
A little nightmarish, a little maudlin
Good golly go get that kid some laudanum
Salvation's more than I can afford
Who needs the Devil when you've got the Lord?

Oh my soul
Losing control
Who built this heart?
Oh my God

Now sister Maggie's coming in fleet-foot
Baby's got a belly full of black soot
I got the feeling I better just stay put
And she'll love you better than any real man could
An accidental amphibian
I'm growing giddy as a Gideon
Another head for the chopping board
Who needs the Devil when you've got the Lord?"

Poor Audrey :(

hughesta

Banned
I still don't get what Andys visions of Lucy were about.
he saw a vision of him moving her. I'd have to go back and watch it again but I think the idea was to make sure she stayed by the phone, to make sure Truman got the phone call from Coop.

Linkin112

Right, guess it could be Judy. So it just moved itself to Twin Peaks.

Do we know that Judy wanted Bob back? What for?
If you choose to believe that the fake Jeffries that called DoppelCooper was actually Judy, then yes. And maybe she just wanted her offspring back to be at full power, just as I assume DoppelCooper wanted to find Judy in order to gain full power from her. They were both after the same thing, just had different intentions.

EdmondD

When the BOB Dragon Ball attacks Coop for a brief moment there are two faces in the ball. Has anyone figured out who the second face is?

Chitown B

If you choose to believe that the fake Jeffries that called DoppelCooper was actually Judy, then yes. And maybe she just wanted her offspring back to be at full power, just as I assume DoppelCooper wanted to find Judy in order to gain full power from her. They were both after the same thing, just had different intentions.

No, I think he wanted to confront Judy, and she wanted him back in the lodge and Bob to be with her again.

I still don't get what Andys visions of Lucy were about.

Andy is the one putting all the pieces in place at the station. He gets Mr. C the chair, he runs to get Hawk which leads him downstairs to make sure Chad is KO'd, he either physically moves Lucy to the door or keeps her at the phone for Coop's call, he brings everyone up from the holding cells for the big showdown, he meets Coop at the door.

I'm guessing the vision was shorthand for "It's up to you to make sure this goes down correctly."

3ceb29a457ddef90615f25fe4a89d303--twin-peaks-show-rest-in-peace.jpg

Could Mrs. Chalfont/Tremond be Mother?

I don't think her being namedropped in the final minutes of the show was just non sequitur fanservice.

Has anyone mentioned how the closer we got to the end of episode 18 the more real things felt? Like this was the reality, and twin peaks is just a fun and silly tv show. Of course there is no Sarah Palmer, that's silly. Everything in that sequence felt like that to me.

One thing which sticks out that ties to that is how emotionally unfulfilling that ending is to me. Like a bad dream that felt real while you were in it and when you wake up you very much want to forget it as quickly as possible. Lynch did do something really interesting here, but it's such a shitty feeling that I'm still really dissatisfied with it. I never expected plot resolution, but feeling this complete opposite of emotional closure has made me really bummed out about the series, if this really is the end.

anaron

I don't think it's been discussed much but this season has also highlighted how much Sheryl Lee looks like Grace Zabriskie. The resemblance wasn't as obvious in the original run due to the crazy hair but man that was such good casting.

Kyle Maclachlan pulled a tour de force with the amount of roles he had to carry. God I hope he gets a emmy, dude was like modern Peter Sellers.

Seamless in this series and was funny when he needed to be (Dougie).

kevin1025

Banned
Kyle Maclachlan pulled a tour de force with the amount of roles he had to carry. God I hope he gets a emmy, dude was like modern Peter Sellers. Seamless in this series and was funny when he needed to be (Dougie).

If he does get nominated, it'll be 2018's, unfortunately. There's always the Golden Globes, though!

stuminus3

Am I the only one who sees how Audrey's scenes tie in to what we witnessed in episode 18? I am surprised how almost no one else is talking about it. Audrey's scenes tie very well to the journey across universes we see in episode 18.

Let's see:
In Audrey's scenes we witness an Audrey who seems confused about herself. Not quite sure who she is or what is real.

Who does she remind you of? Laura, Cooper, and Diane when they are in the "Odessa" universe as Carrie, Richard, and Linda.

And what happens when Audrey realizes her reality isn't real? It goes black and she snaps back to her reality. An Audrey that doesn't look like the one we know. Straight hair, no makeup. Perhaps in an institution.

What we witnessed was an Audrey from one universe "dreaming" of herself in the other reality. Somewhat confused and losing sight of who she was before a sudden realization and snapping back to her reality, wherever it may be.

This gives the final scene hope. Laura's scream and the house going dark is much like when Audrey realized her reality at the bang bang bar with Charlie wasn't her reality and suddenly woke up.

Perhaps like Audrey, Laura snaps back and awakens right there on the steps of the Palmer household but in her reality, with Judy inside?

When the Arm repeats Charlies line of "Is this the story of the little girl down the lane?" it is Lynch's clue to us. The answer was in the Audrey's scenes. We witnessed someone traversing one reality to another to be an alternate version of them self before the Odessa scenes, with Audrey. And she was able to wake up. Which means Laura too can wake up. And perhaps that is what we witnessed at the very end giving hope to the battle against Judy.
This was one of the first things I realised post-18. I was disappointed that we didn't see more of Audrey past her "awakening" and felt like the "sidewards flash" thing should have been written in earlier than the last episode then I realised that the whole concept had been telegraphed all along, long before Audrey even actually appears on screen, and that it didn't really matter where Audrey actually is because she had served her purpose. Pretty cool.

Listening to Chromatics' Shadow...

David Lynch, you motherfucker you!

The relevance of that song's lyrics is crazy to me. Realizing that the song played at the end of Part 2, and Part 2 has the scenes that are reworked in Part 18, just gives it an extra punch.

I still have mixed feelings about the end, but I'm starting to appreciate how some of these musical numbers weaved into the show's thematic and emotional tapestry.

jett

D-Member
Once Bob was killed that plan of evil ended. In addition, then Coop making it so Bob could never have his victim in Laura (the golden girl) that sealed everything. So at that point, all had been wiped. Her death set off the chain of events to Bob's destruction, but saving her altered reality. I'm not really sure the logic here but I assume it can't be good for Sarah-Judy.

I mean yeah but we don't know anything about their plans. But it was bad enough for the white lodge (?) to send their own countermeasure.

So it's Judy that Bob's running away from at the beginning? Thinking about this season makes me want to rewatch, but I also really don't want to. :p

Fake Jeffries though, what did I miss?

Kyle Maclachlan pulled a tour de force with the amount of roles he had to carry. God I hope he gets a emmy, dude was like modern Peter Sellers.

Seamless in this series and was funny when he needed to be (Dougie).

Honestly I never thought much of MacLachlan's acting abilities before this season, but he's really fantastic. Maybe S3 will lead to better opportunities for him. Seems he doesn't really work on movies. The last thing I saw him in was Desperate Housewives lol.

Oh and I just want to say that despite all the craziness this show brought us, Gordon Cole's Monica Bellucci dream scene is still my favorite thing from The Return. The close ups, the black and white visuals, the hugely important dreamer quote, Lynch turning around to see his younger self, the incredibly menacing droning score, etc. etc. Just greatness.

hughesta

Banned
Oh and I just want to say that despite all the craziness this show brought us, Gordon Cole's Monica Bellucci dream scene is still my favorite thing from The Return. The close ups, the black and white visuals, the hugely important dreamer quote, Lynch turning around to see his younger self, the incredibly menacing droning score, etc. etc. Just greatness.
Gordon seeing himself gets even better when you realize that the building directly behind that cafe irl is Lynch's art museum

That's interesting to read about Johnny Jewel and all the music he recorded. Speaking of, there's been a few OST moments that I've been meaning to look more into. Like when the Fireman brought forth the Laura Palmer orb in episode 8 or the music that played during the end credits of the finale. They were haunting and beautiful and I need more. Does anybody know if those are Jewel tracks? Badalamenti tracks? Lynch/Hurley tracks? Or from somewhere else maybe?

Top Bottom