• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

the final shot made me think of this

6889590_f1024.jpg

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING

WE'RE VERY LATE
WE HAVE MILES TO GO

Vectorman

Banned
That's interesting to read about Johnny Jewel and all the music he recorded. Speaking of, there's been a few OST moments that I've been meaning to look more into. Like when the Fireman brought forth the Laura Palmer orb in episode 8 or the music that played during the end credits of the finale. They were haunting and beautiful and I need more. Does anybody know if those are Jewel tracks? Badalamenti tracks? Lynch/Hurley tracks? Or from somewhere else maybe?

Best bet are newer Badalamenti tracks.

hughesta

Banned
British One Punch Man showing up to defeat Bob is the sort of thing that should really rub me the wrong way, but just... doesn't. I don't really know why, either. Maybe it's because I felt he was built up enough, maybe I just fully bought into him as a wacky agent of the Lodge... I don't know. Freddie could have his own spinoff series about his meeting with the Fireman and his journey to twin peaks and I think it'd be very interesting. It's like if the original show was focused entirely on Annie with us getting a season and a half of her life normally but then suddenly this Dale Cooper dude shows up and is able to save her by doing things he shouldn't be able to do.

British One Punch Man showing up to defeat Bob is the sort of thing that should really rub me the wrong way, but just... doesn't. I don't really know why, either. Maybe it's because I felt he was built up enough, maybe I just fully bought into him as a wacky agent of the Lodge... I don't know. Freddie could have his own spinoff series about his meeting with the Fireman and his journey to twin peaks and I think it'd be very interesting.

I wasn't thrilled while it was happening, but as soon as Cooper's head was superimposed on the screen, I came right around on it. As an idealized dream, it's perfect.

I did always like Freddie, though. British accents are the best.

kevin1025

Banned
British One Punch Man showing up to defeat Bob is the sort of thing that should really rub me the wrong way, but just... doesn't. I don't really know why, either. Maybe it's because I felt he was built up enough, maybe I just fully bought into him as a wacky agent of the Lodge... I don't know. Freddie could have his own spinoff series about his meeting with the Fireman and his journey to twin peaks and I think it'd be very interesting. It's like if the original show was focused entirely on Annie with us getting a season and a half of her life normally but then suddenly this Dale Cooper dude shows up and is able to save her by doing things he shouldn't be able to do.

I'd definitely take a Heather Graham-starring Twin Peaks spinoff, sign me up.

Chitown B

it's almost like the 430 was a trap. Coop thought it was a way to bring Laura back, but really it was the entrance to an alternate dimension. Sure the human is alive but she's not Laura. Then the alternate dimension of our TP seeps in through her mind...

it's almost like the 430 was a trap. Coop thought it was a way to bring Laura back, but really it was the entrance to an alternate dimension. Sure the human is alive but she's not Laura. Then the alternate dimension of our TP seeps in through her mind...

It might have been a trap, but Coop knew it was an alternate dimension. He and Diane make it clear that they're crossing over some threshold after which things will change.

Bob getting shattered by One Punch Man is the only villain who was defeated the way that the show built up to. Richard died via fireworks. Hutch and Chantel were killed by random accountant. Mr. C got shot by Lucy.

Taken from reddit:

"We will have to reconcile with the question that if someone from outside our familiar world gains access to our plane of existence, what ramifications will that entail? There might be forces at work from deep dimensional space, or from the future…or are these one in the same? Think of the events that could have splintered time? The things that could have laid the seed for a starting point for this development? Perhaps technological innovations or the assassination of President Kennedy?" -Bill Hastings

Time is fractured every time a Blue Rose event occurs. The happenings in 1956. The release of BOB into the world. The disappearance of Chet Desmond. The initial disappearance of Phillip Jeffries, the death of Laura Palmer, the release of the Doppelganger from the black lodge, and on, and on.

As the emissaries of the Black and White Lodge do things that alter events, certain timelines flicker in and out of existance.
The numbers on the electrical sockets and the transformers denote what particular version of events we're in at any given moment.

In one reality, Cooper defeats his Doppelganger. In another, Cooper enters the Black Lodge from under the Great Northern with Diane and Gordon left waiting and finally meets Phillip Jeffries who holds the key to all these timelines. In another Cooper enters the Black Lodge with Diane waiting outside and re-emerges unscathed.

The only way to eliminate all this fractured time is to stop the initial fracturing from happening.

Phillip Jeffries tried to do this and time continued to slip away from him to the point where it drove him mad. Now Dale Cooper is playing the role of Phillip Jeffries, trying to fix fractured time. He determines the source event to be the death of Laura Palmer, and goes back in time to prevent that from happening, but it's not. The source goes back to at least 1956, possibly further back. So Dale makes the same mistake Phillip made and is now chasing time.

When Carrie Page recalls who she really is, the timeline at the end ceases to exist and the consciousness of both Dale and Laura are thrown into another.
This could go on forever if Dale fails like Phillip did. Or it could all be healed if Dale finds the source of everything (which is the entrance of Judy into our conventional space and time).

-----------

This sounds pretty much on the money to me too. Perhaps he has to stop that bomb?

Unfortunately for Cooper, he is running out of sand. He's already in his 60s. Even if there is still a path toward victory, how much longer will he be able to travel it?

If he gets trapped in the Lodge again, he's pretty much done.

hydruxo

Honestly I thought the Freddie vs Bob showdown was awesome and a highlight of the season. I didn't expect it at all but it was pretty cool lmao. It made sense once you factor in the whole destiny thing, I just didn't think he'd be the one to take him down in the end.

Chitown B

It might have been a trap, but Coop knew it was an alternate dimension. He and Diane make it clear that they're crossing over some threshold after which things will change.

True, but what they thought was that it would be a reality where Laura just didn't die, but everything else was the same (with some slight changes). Not that she would be an entirely different person.

oh and what the fuck was the fly frog, and who was it inside of?

Vectorman

Banned
FYI, if you want to buy the albums on vinyl, be sure to try to get them at record stores. They got some exclusive colored variants coming out.

twinpeaks-limitedevent-indie_1200x.jpg

twinpeaks-musicfrom-indie_1200x.jpg

sappyday

Bob getting shattered by One Punch Man is the only villain who was defeated the way that the show built up to. Richard died via fireworks. Hutch and Chantel were killed by random accountant. Mr. C got shot by Lucy.
I'd argue Mr. C getting taken out by Lucy was part of the Fireman's plan.

True, but what they thought was that it would be a reality where Laura just didn't die, but everything else was the same (with some slight changes). Not that she would be an entirely different person.

oh and what the fuck was the fly frog, and who was it inside of?

The only clues we have regarding the frogsquito thing point to Sarah being its host, but it's not proven by any means. Sarah has always been connected to that white horse, and the Woodsman's chant says "the horse is the white of the eyes". And after the frogsquito entered the girl and the camera was still focused on her, there was neighing.

There were also screencaps of the frogsquito/jumping man's proboscis poking out of the darkness behind Sarah's face in the bar, but I've been too lazy to check if it was legit or just a photoshop.

Chitown B

The only clues we have regarding the frogsquito thing point to Sarah being its host, but it's not proven by any means. Sarah has always been connected to that white horse, and the Woodsman's chant says "the horse is the white of the eyes". And after the frogsquito entered the girl and the camera was still focused on her, there was neighing.

There were also screencaps of the frogsquito/jumping man's proboscis poking out of the darkness behind Sarah's face in the bar, but I've been too lazy to check if it was legit or just a photoshop.

maybe. but then that would have meant she was always evil through TP1&2 which doesn't track.

Not sure if this was posted, Kyle interview:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...e-explained-kyle-maclachlan-interview-1035013

Chitown B

man, Ashley Judd's "story" was a total waste of space and a cameo wasn't it? So many things this season that amounted to nothing. The whole Becky and Steven bullshit. Waste of time and no resolution. Etc.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
That sequence was profoundly hilarious. Its so, so dumb as the 'answer' to the conundrum of Twin Peaks, and Lynch wants us to know it. He's taken the spectacle of the uncanny even further than the robins in Blue Velvet or Naomi Watts' soap opera performance in the first half of Mulholland Drive. That whole ridiculous troupe of heroes, the oversaturated colours, "ya did good Freddy!", the special effects, the punching, Andy's face... Good lord.
It will be better on rewatch, knowing for certain that Lynch is in on the joke.

aravuus

Any word on a bluray release yet? Only way I can watch this in Finland is streaming on HBO Nordic, and their stream quality is fucking awful. I've only seen the first 4 episodes, don't want to experience the rest that way.

maybe. but then that would have meant she was always evil through TP1&2 which doesn't track.
She wouldn't have to be evil. Just corrupted. Sick. It was literally eating away at her from the inside, until all that was left was a black void of evil. How long that process took is up in the air, especially since she still seemed to have some level of control.

At no point in the series could Sarah be described as "well." Our assumption has always been that Leland and the death of Laura broke her, but what if she had always been unbalanced?

How could they not be with the ministration of the three ladies they have with them? They will be fine.
What did he mean by this?

I really did not like the Bob fight on my first viewing. On paper it's as silly as can be. Besides, Twin Peaks has never been the kind of show that has the typical hero vs villain showdown. Rewatching it though, I think it's executed well for being as silly as it is. The direction is unnerving, and for only being able to use archive footage they did a good job by making me feel that Bob was actually there. They could have just slapped a still of Frank Silva's face on there and called it a day, but i believe Bob's feral nature was captured by the way they did it. I couldn't immediately recognize where the footage was sourced from either so I think they pulled it off.

Of course, it's still a floating Bob ball fighting a one punch man. Maybe it would have been better if they did some hectic scene involving mirrors or morphed Doppelcoop's face again. Either way I'm glad that Lynch/Frost went for it other than not having Bob involved at all. He's been such an amazing villain since the pilot and it's hard to match up to him. Hell, Wyndom Earle tried to and look what happened there, which also brings me back to Twin Peaks not having the typical hero vs villain showdown.

Linkin112

man, Ashley Judd's "story" was a total waste of space and a cameo wasn't it? So many things this season that amounted to nothing. The whole Becky and Steven bullshit. Waste of time and no resolution. Etc.
I remember in the first episode Becky was introduced, some were predicting she'd be the Laura of this season. Lol, oh how wrong we were.

hughesta

Banned
I like Becky's arc. A lot of the stuff in Twin Peaks involving older characters seems to be about how, while they might be older, they aren't necessarily wiser. Only Bobby really seemed to escape his old life in the 25 year gap we see. Ed and Norma still pined for one another, and Shelly still wanted the bad boy (and this ultimately influenced her daughter to follow her footsteps.) Ed and Norma ultimately manage to break their seemingly endless cycle of longing, and Nadine seems happier than she ever has before, suggesting that there is hope in finding a better life for yourself, no matter how old you get. Becky and Steven's plotline isn't related in any way to our core story, but the end of it is this: he was abusive, and now he's gone. Just as Bobby was able to move on, just as Ed and Norma were able to be together, we can have hope that the residents of Twin Peaks are able to learn from their mistakes and find something better for themselves. There is hope that Becky can get her life back together. There is hope that Shelly can stop going after drug dealing bad boys. Maybe there's hope for us all, as we age and wonder what our lives could have been.

That just might be the ultimate message of the show. The past cannot be changed, no matter how hard we try or how many dimensions we traverse. But we can strive to make things a little bit better for ourselves and the people around us every day. No matter how old you get, there's no reason your best days can't be ahead of you still, so long as you focus on making the most of them.

Just finally caught up and saw the ending. Holy shit! I love everything about this show! I just binge watched the last five episodes, and there is too much to process.

Vectorman

Banned
I like Becky's arc. A lot of the stuff in Twin Peaks involving older characters seems to be about how, while they might be older, they aren't necessarily wiser. Only Bobby really seemed to escape his old life in the 25 year gap we see. Ed and Norma still pined for one another, and Shelly still wanted the bad boy (and this ultimately influenced her daughter to follow her footsteps.) Ed and Norma ultimately manage to break their seemingly endless cycle of longing, and Nadine seems happier than she ever has before, suggesting that there is hope in finding a better life for yourself, no matter how old you get. Becky and Steven's plotline isn't related in any way to our core story, but the end of it is this: he was abusive, and now he's gone. Just as Bobby was able to move on, just as Ed and Norma were able to be together, we can have hope that the residents of Twin Peaks are able to learn from their mistakes and find something better for themselves. There is hope that Becky can get her life back together. There is hope that Shelly can stop going after drug dealing bad boys. Maybe there's hope for us all, as we age and wonder what our lives could have been.

That just might be the ultimate message of the show. The past cannot be changed, no matter how hard we try or how many dimensions we traverse. But we can strive to make things a little bit better for ourselves and the people around us every day. No matter how old you get, there's no reason your best days can't be ahead of you still, so long as you focus on making the most of them.

That's fine if the arc ended properly. There's nothing really resolved between Becky and Steven or Bobby and Shelley. It simply just got cut off as if it was mere window dressing. And if the message of the show is to move on, well I guess that's an effective way of moving on from this show, splitting the fanbase and making people talk for years on end.

hughesta

Banned
That's fine if the arc ended properly. There's nothing really resolved between Becky and Steven or Bobby and Shelley. It simply just got cut off as if it was mere window dressing. And if the message of the show is to move on, well I guess that's an effective way of moving on from this show, splitting the fanbase and making people talk for years on end.
Steven kills himself, so Becky is no longer stuck living in a shitty trailer park with him, and no longer living under the threat of his abuse. Is it really so important to know exactly what she does after that?

I want to say the Becky/Steven arc was my least favorite of the whole season, but then I remember how much I enjoyed Becky's rampage in episode 11. 🤔

sappyday

I'm very curious as to how the viewing experience is if it's seen in one go.

Gonna have to do it when the blu ray comes out

robotrock

Banned
I want to say the Becky/Steven arc was my least favorite of the whole season, but then I remember how much I enjoyed Becky's rampage in episode 11. 🤔

exactly. despite not getting resolution on a ton of stuff, a lot of the plot lines were fun to follow and produced great and satisfying moments

That's interesting to read about Johnny Jewel and all the music he recorded. Speaking of, there's been a few OST moments that I've been meaning to look more into. Like when the Fireman brought forth the Laura Palmer orb in episode 8 or the music that played during the end credits of the finale. They were haunting and beautiful and I need more. Does anybody know if those are Jewel tracks? Badalamenti tracks? Lynch/Hurley tracks? Or from somewhere else maybe?
I thought the track that played during the fireman orb scene was the same that played at the very end of FWWM when Cooper is standing by Laura with the angel. I remember it really stood out like it did when I saw the movie.

I want the finale credits track.

Vectorman

Banned
Steven kills himself, so Becky is no longer stuck living in a shitty trailer park with him, and no longer living under the threat of his abuse. Is it really so important to know exactly what she does after that?

Considering that Lynch introduced Becky to the story, I was hoping there was a reason he was focusing on her. Instead, Steven just shoots himself dead and we don't see how she reacts. Maybe she's happy, maybe she blames herself etc. But Lynch decided not to and doesn't even attempt to even give us an idea. So why bother with these characters at all if they were just world building scenes? But again, this goes back to the subpar plot but I'm not gonna bother with that again.

When the BOB Dragon Ball attacks Coop for a brief moment there are two faces in the ball. Has anyone figured out who the second face is?

It's just overlapping BOB faces. Something I missed first time, before he gets punched for the final time B(L)OB says "I'll catch you with my death bag".

This finale is going to be stuck in my head for a long time. Whether we got a fourth or even fifth season is moot - the only thing for sure is any new season will have a headfuck ending. It's like Jeffries infinity sign and moving ball was a 'headfuck ending selector'.

Isn't it implied that Steven killed Becky?

Btw, for those of you who live in LA, I highly suggest you clear your schedules on 9/8 and 9/22. David will be signing records and one extra item at Amoeba Records. I presume you can give him your praise (or grievances) in person. https://www.amoeba.com/live-shows/upcoming/detail-4181/

Don't s'pose Dave has time to fly over to the south west of the UK for a signing?

robotrock

Banned
It's just overlapping BOB faces. Something I missed first time, before he gets punched for the final time B(L)OB says "I'll catch you with my death bag".

This finale is going to be stuck in my head for a long time. Whether we got a fourth or even fifth season is moot - the only thing for sure is any new season will have a headfuck ending. It's like Jeffries infinity sign and moving ball was a 'headfuck ending selector'.

I love getting those endings though

Top Bottom