• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

I love getting those endings though

I'm fine with it, it's clearly the Twin Peaks way. I wish we had an episode of classic coop interacting with old friends before reality collapsed on itself though, instead of things moving so quickly that he didn't even acknowledge frickin' Albert!

hughesta

Banned
I don't think Steven killed Becky. He seemed remorseful for doing something to her, but I think his depressed, suicidal high made him aware that his constant abuse, lying, cheating, and supplying her with drugs was ruining her life.

I want to bring up the drugs again too. We know they're a bigger problem in Twin Peaks than ever before, and that they were brought to the town by Red. Steven seems to be on them in the end, and talks about seeing the Rhinoceros when he dies. In Part 9, the two randoms at the roadhouse also mention animals. One asks the other if she's seen that "the zebra is out there," and later in the conversation the other girl asks the first if she's seen the penguin, and looks disturbed when that first girl appears confused. What are these animals?

EdmondD

I don't think Steven killed Becky. He seemed remorseful for doing something to her, but I think his depressed, suicidal high made him aware that his constant abuse, lying, cheating, and supplying her with drugs was ruining her life.

I want to bring up the drugs again too. We know they're a bigger problem in Twin Peaks than ever before, and that they were brought to the town by Red. Steven seems to be on them in the end, and talks about seeing the Rhinoceros when he dies. In Part 9, the two randoms at the roadhouse also mention animals. One asks the other if she's seen that "the zebra is out there," and later in the conversation the other girl asks the first if she's seen the penguin, and looks disturbed when that first girl appears confused. What are these animals?

When Leland drugs Sarah she sees the white horse.

I feel like this ending is far more hopeless than 2x22. That's part of why it's so haunting to me.

Thinking back, Cooper was really stupid. He messed with supernatural forces and was trapped for 25 years in who knows where. When he finally gets to return back and defeat Mr. C, what does he do? In just a few minutes he messes up again with supernatural forces beyond his understanding, with pretenses of a mere human like him defeating a big bad evil from another dimension. End result? He gets trapped again, this time in another dimension or whatever.

He didn't get how incredibly lucky he was for getting out alive in the first place, and they never got close to the root of the evil, Judy, in Sarah.

Slaythe

I feel like this ending is far more hopeless than 2x22. That's part of why it's so haunting to me.

I don't know.

Evil Cooper free = horrible for everyone Cooper cared about, Annie got killed, Diane and Audrey raped etc...

Cooper stuck in alternate dreamality = it kinda sucks for him and Laura

hughesta

Banned
When Leland drugs Sarah she sees the white horse.
Excellent point. We see that white horse in the Lodge, and it's likely the horse that the Woodsman referred to with his chant. So hmwhat does this mean? Are the animals lodge spirits, spirits that people can only see when attuned to a more psychic plane and ripped loose of some of their senses? Sarah has always been psychically inclined, I wonder if Red's drug has something in it that makes Lodge forces a bit more... perceivable? Maybe they're horrible spirits like BOB but they're only perceived by people as these animals.

Vectorman

Banned
Thinking back, Cooper was really stupid. He messed with supernatural forces and was trapped for 25 years in who knows where. When he finally gets to return back and defeat Mr. C, what does he do? In just a few minutes he messes up again with supernatural forces beyond his understanding, with pretenses of a mere human like him defeating a big bad evil from another dimension. End result? He gets trapped again, this time in another dimension or whatever.

He didn't get how incredibly lucky he was for getting out alive in the first place, and they never got close to the root of the evil, Judy, in Sarah.

He had no choice the first time he went into the Black Lodge. It was to save Annie and stop Earle. Him trying to change the past by saving Laura is definitely an actual fuck up on his part.

Exodust

Banned
Coop was so weird after him and Diane crossed over. First he was menacing as hell during the sex scene, then in his interaction with Carrie he was super understated, almost came off as depressed. He wasn't acting like Coop but he thought he was Coop.

I think it has a lot to do with him becoming "Richard" then it does with merging with Mr. C like some are speculating.

Slaythe

I think it has a lot to do with him becoming "Richard" then it does with merging with Mr. C like some are speculating.

That's dumb.

If Diane somehow got all memories of Linda then he should have gotten Richard's. He ignores who those people are and refers to himself specifically as Dale.

On top of that, Cooper started being weird BEFORE the motel swap.

TheWraith

What was Richard & Linda, 2 birds with one stone about now? I know Richard and Linda signify Cooper and Diane in the alternate reality, but why the two birds phrase?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I'm very curious as to how the viewing experience is if it's seen in one go.

Gonna have to do it when the blu ray comes out

I'm really excited to soon be able to talk with a friend of mine who's also a huge Twin Peaks fan. He decided to wait until all episodes are out and binge-watch the whole thing. I imagine it will be a lot to take in. lol

Dalek

I'm really excited to soon be able to talk with a friend of mine who's also a huge Twin Peaks fan. He decided to wait until all episodes are out and binge-watch the whole thing. I imagine it will be a lot to take in. lol

I feel that really does the series a disservice. Having it broken up into one episode a week and then having everyone in here discuss it and theorize is half the fun of the show.

hughesta

Banned
I have to wonder if Cooper was replaced by Richard when he goes out of view to get the motel key. I know he refers to himself as Dale afterwards and it's almost certainly not true, I just think it's an interesting choice to have no Dale onscreen and two Diane's - Diane and Linda

I still think the intercourse between two worlds was Diane becoming one with Linda and Cooper becoming one with Richard, but maybe Cooper and Richard merged when he was offscreen. Cooper retained his memories but displays most of Richard's mannerisms and Diane retained Linda's memories, and that's why she refers to Cooper as Richard, and how he seems different. And much like how Carrie Page still carries Laura's trauma within her, Linda carries Diane's trauma as well - someone who was brutally raped by someone who looks exactly like Richard.

Exodust

Banned
That's dumb.

If Diane somehow got all memories of Linda then he should have gotten Richard's. He ignores who those people are and refers to himself specifically as Dale.

On top of that, Cooper started being weird BEFORE the motel swap.

As soon as he entered the alternate reality, yes. And he specifically pointed out before the jump that they'll "become" different people. I never said anything about Linda's memories or Coop getting Richard's. All Diane wrote was that she couldn't recognize him and feels different.

Diane couldn't handle the new reality so she noped out of it, Coop could because he was so adamant about his mission. It explains why he was acting somewhat differently.

JohnDoe

Banned
What was Richard & Linda, 2 birds with one stone about now? I know Richard and Linda signify Cooper and Diane in the alternate reality, but why the two birds phrase?
My interpretation is that it's from Judy's perspective.
Laura and Cooper are stuck in the alternate world. Two birds with one stone.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The moment that stood out to me that had me wondering if that was really coop was when he goes into Judy's Diner and when the waitress asks if he wants coffee, he just kinda shrugs all uninterested, when just last episode we saw coop asking Lucy on the phone if the coffee was hot as if it was just as important as the reason he was heading over.

Dalek

The moment that stood out to me that had me wondering if that was really coop was when he goes into Judy's Diner and when the waitress asks if he wants coffee, he just kinda shrugs all uninterested, when just last episode we saw coop asking Lucy on the phone if the coffee was hot as if it was just as important as the reason he was heading over.

Also when Mr. C is in Truman's office, Andy asks him if he'd like a coffee and Mr. C couldn't care less about coffee.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I feel that really does the series a disservice. Having it broken up into one episode a week and then having everyone in here discuss it and theorize is half the fun of the show.

Oh, I agree completely. That was part of the fun for me too, reading all the theories and speculations.

Dalek

I'm strongly considering driving from San Francisco down to LA for that David Lynch signing at Amoeba records-I just want to put him on the spot and answer one of our questions!!

I'm gonna walk in the room like Phillip Jeffries. "Who do you think that is, there?"

Slaythe

As soon as he entered the alternate reality, yes. And he specifically pointed out before the jump that they'll "become" different people. I never said anything about Linda's memories or Coop getting Richard's. All Diane wrote was that she couldn't recognize him and feels different.

Diane couldn't handle the new reality so she noped out of it, Coop could because he was so adamant about his mission. It explains why he was acting somewhat differently.

But then Diane wouldn't have used names Cooper didn't know.

Diane literally went to hell and back for Cooper, she wouldn't have noped out.

EGM1966

BTW I think it's interesting to apply T.E Lawrence's quote to the dreaming angle so prevelant in Twin Peak and in particular S3.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."

I believe Lynch was very much applying the aspect of dreaming during the day - i.e. of daring to make real your dreams and to change the world according to them.

This is exactly what's happening in EP17 and why we have Coop's face superimpossed over the events and why he refers to dreams and change and why everything seems to be going so well: most of the events in EP17 are directly driven by Coop's desirses as made real as he acted his dreams with eyes open.

Then of course we get that creep shot of the jumping man coming down the stairs after Coop and Mike go up them and the abrupt change to Coop's dreams and intents in the forest at the end of EP17. EP18 shows us continued positive effects of some of Coop's actions - dreams made real - but all too soon the mood changes and we end with Coop's dreams unrealized and Coop himself lost as his attempts to exert his dreams on the world to change it seem to have either backfired or been nullified by another force, another dreamer essentially.

JohnDoe

Banned
Fans: I bet after a cliffhanger like 2x22, Lynch is going to give us an ending with closure that won't leave us devastated.
Lynch: Hold my plot threads.

Slaythe

Also, we have seen Sarah make a dream come true.

She didn't physically bite off that guy's throat. Yet it manifested in the real world.

Daffy Duck

I think the reason the transformation happened with Cooper between 17-18 was he gave up the good Coop part of him for the seed creation to send that part of him off to Janey-E and Sonny Jim.

superfly

Throughout the show I found it odd that the black lodge was seemingly helping Cooper.

Now we're finished I wonder if in fact he was always being manipulated. The lodge had effectively given Cooper two tasks. Firstly to not die and to ensure Mr C return to the lodge. I presume this was to prevent Mr C from reaching Judy which the lodge wanted to protect.

However Cooper's second task was to save Laura. This was made clear right from the start. Was this a ploy set out by the lodge knowing that through messing with time that evil would reign supreme?

I thought the track that played during the fireman orb scene was the same that played at the very end of FWWM when Cooper is standing by Laura with the angel. I remember it really stood out like it did when I saw the movie.

I want the finale credits track.

Nope, that track is "The Voice of Love" which is one of my favorite Badalamenti tunes actually. I can't think of another series that can come close to the quality of music on Twin Peaks. It's almost not even fair.

Prurient

Banned
But then Diane wouldn't have used names Cooper didn't know.

Diane literally went to hell and back for Cooper, she wouldn't have noped out.

I think the problem is that she noped out on Richard, not Cooper IMHO. I think she becomes Linda fully during the intercourse that merged them, whereas somehow Cooper did not. She has no idea she was ever Diane, but still knows something has gone terribly wrong between them.

Slaythe

I think the problem is that she noped out on Richard, not Cooper IMHO. I think she becomes Linda fully during the intercourse that merged them, whereas somehow Cooper did not. She has no idea she was ever Diane, but still knows something has gone terribly wrong between them.

I agree but my point is that Cooper is not Richard and started acting weird before they even had sex.

So people trying to force Cooper's cold demeanor as part of Richard's personality doesn't fit IMO.

That was my interpretation as well. I also thought the doppelgänger Diane saw at the Hotel might have been Linda before the two merged somehow during the intercourse.

Audioboxer

Damn Lynch, igniting the internet for years to come with everyone's plausible theories.

It doesn't seem to matter much as it's overwritten with good explanations of the ending, but the way the women at the Palmer's house was talking to a concealed figure and answering abruptly rubbed me wrong. Probably just done for effect to give the viewers that sense of dread.

Reminded me a bit of Sarah Palmer refusing to let Hawk in or to get full answers. Presumably as Judy was involved at that point/Woodsmen or whatever else was going on inside that house.

I still don't get the sex scene.

There's lots of theories for it. When you read them it actually makes sense and is an important scene. I'd dig them all up for you but I'm on mobile.

Diane seeing herself outside the gas station leads up to the importance of the sex scene too.

Edit: Some chat about it above on this page even.

hughesta

Banned
I still don't get the sex scene.
The motel is a place between the real world of Twin Peaks and the fantasy of Laura's dream. Cooper and Diane go there together to bring Laura out from her dream to help them defeat Judy, but they know things will be different once they cross over. Outside the motel Diane sees herself - Linda - waiting for her to step foot inside the motel. Cooper and Diane go inside, and this is where the "intercourse between two worlds" that the Arm mentions in FWWM takes place. Coop becomes one with Richard, and Diane becomes one with Linda, as they assume their role in Laura's dream. But Diane is traumatized from her rape at the hands of Mr. C. She covers Cooper's face because he reminds her too much of her attacker, and once the sex over she, as Linda, leaves.

the lyrics to the song used intermittently throughout the scene - the same song used in Part 8 - are horrific in this context, especially the line "you'll always be there" as she covers his face and weeps. The song also mentions "a dream that's divine."

Klocker

. Snip....

Most of the disappointment I feel regarding the finale (and it's not all disappointment either) is the threads they left hanging. I don't really give a shit about Red or the weirdo in the jail cell or all the towns people we hear about but never see so much. It'd be interesting to find out, but I don't really need closure there. The Experiment, the girl from Episode 8 with the bug in her, and Sarah, on the other hand, I really could have used some more information on. I'm a fan of Lynch and while I don't need the entire story to be wrapped up and easily summed up on a wiki, it seems at the very least wasteful to introduce things as interesting as these and then never fully capitalize on it when you had 18 fucking hours to do so. I'd put the Woodsmen up there too or at least what the fuck was up with their intervention in Episode 8.
These are exactly my most frustrating unresolved moments.

tumblr_ovs6e8QXVD1qe3gfao1_540.jpg

Atleast Dougie is okay :')

Scarecrow

Everything feels so pedestrian after watching Peaks. Eraserhead is the only Lynch movie I've seen. If I can only watch another one, which should I choose? MD, IE, BV, or LH?

hughesta

Banned
Everything feels so pedestrian after watching Peaks. Eraserhead is the only Lynch movie I've seen. If I can only watch another one, which should I choose? MD, IE, BV, or LH?
Mulholland Drive is perhaps his greatest work, although I prefer the unrelenting nightmare of Inland Empire.

Watch all of those but Inland Empire which is terrible.

Twin Peaks season 3 dips in and out of the same inspiration pools as Mulholland Dr and Lost Highway. Blue Velvet is like a more optimistic proto-Twin Peaks. All great films except Lost Highway which is a bit of a hot mess but still fun.

Inland Empire is this horseshit digital camera experiment wank-fest. Avoid.

superfly

Keep the twin peaks spirit alive and watch wild at heart which has a number of returning cast

Scarecrow

Thanks for the suggestions. I might have to wait a while before dipping into Lynch again. I just feel so drained after TP.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Mulholland Drive is perhaps his greatest work, although I prefer the unrelenting nightmare of Inland Empire.
Me too.
This last two hours felt to me like Inland Empire in terms of technique, like Lost Highway in terms of setting and narrative, and like Mulholland Drive emotionally.

So in general terms, my opinion.

I don't agree with the general fan sentiment of the season being "oohh soo good! 10/10!". It has its fair share of flaws. In fact, my biggest problem isn't with the end itself, which was fine in the typical David Lynch way, but the slow pace in almost half the episodes, because all the secondary character and secondary plot threads that existed, and that in the end were kind of worthless.

Comparing the season to the original series (first season), in Twin Peaks the story extended to a big cast of characters in a natural way, as the series starts looking into the lives of families that interacted with Laura, and Cooper were around in the town trying to solve the crime. So it transitions to be about the lives of the people of the town in general more or less elegantly.

But in this season, I feel as if the main plot is much more laser-focused, in Cooper's return, Mr. C and the doppelgangers (and Gordon and Hawk related investigations). Therefore switching back to new secondary characters that were hundreds of miles away of the real protagonists, and that barely intersect in the main plot in the most roundabout ways (if any) is silly. And sorry to say, some of the old returning character and scenes are just pure fanwank/nostalgia fodder. I don't really care for what happens to this secondary character for 25 years ago.

And that's not taking in account how long run some scenes... (typical Lynch, I know) for what I think is little payoff.

Maybe increasing the run of the season from 9 to 18 episodes was a curse, not a gift.

On the other hand, when the season had a 'high point', it was really high. Some really good scenes contained in this season.

Top Bottom