• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

mKuqIrL.gif

I totally thought this was going to happen when Diane saw herself at the Motel.

Javier23

Banned
After the finale yesterday i started to watch some of Lynch's shorts, and I found this one on youtube which was never credited anywhere else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLVH4BXlPc4

Does anyone know if this is a scene from Inland Empire? That's his one movie i still have to watch, and if it's like that scene, then i better get on it
Not in Inland Empire. Pretty sure the location is in it though, and it does feel very Inland Empire-ish. I love that movie.

Slaythe

Ok guys something weird happened.

I was rewatching the finale, and at the end, when Dale asks about Sarah Palmer, my phone that was charging, picked up his voice and thought it was me.

And so my phone said " what would you like to know about Sarah ?".

I freaked out. The funny thing is that it does it whenever I replay the scene, but I admit I was puzzled for a few seconds because I forgot that was even a feature of my phone.

edit :

Wait a second, Sarah Palmer is in the credits of the finale, where was she exactly ?

Every other character is very noticeable. There were only a handful in that last episode...

Sarah Palmer called Laura in the last scene which is what precipitated her scream.

You can hear a faint 'Laura....'. I guess she wakes up then and remembers everything.

Frost_Ace

I was rewatching the finale, and at the end, when Dale asks about Sarah Palmer, my phone that was charging, picked up his voice and thought it was me.

I freaked out. The funny thing is that it does it whenever I replay the scene, but I admit I was puzzled for a few seconds because I forgot that was even a feature of my phone.

edit :

Wait a second, Sarah Palmer is in the credits of the finale, where was she exactly ?

Every other character is very noticeable. There were only a handful in that last episode...

When she destroys Laura's picture in the house? Or was that episode 17?

edit :

I've heard some say that the voice that yells "Laura" from inside the house is Sarah. Maybe that's a clue to confirm it.

Slaythe

That was 17.

Sarah Palmer called Laura in the last scene which is what precipitated her scream.

You can hear a faint 'Laura....'. I guess she wakes up then and remembers everything.

I've heard some say that the voice that yells "Laura" from inside the house is Sarah. Maybe that's a clue to confirm it.

Well this makes things even creepier.

I thought it was a Leland scream, but since Sarah is seen nowhere else, she's the only possibility.

That makes the ending more chilling.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
So in general terms, my opinion.

I don't agree with the general fan sentiment of the season being "oohh soo good! 10/10!". It has its fair share of flaws. In fact, my biggest problem isn't with the end itself, which was fine in the typical David Lynch way, but the slow pace in almost half the episodes, because all the secondary character and secondary plot threads that existed, and that in the end were kind of worthless.
On the other hand, when the season had a 'high point', it was really high. Some really good scenes contained in this season.
The show for sure has a lot of flaws. Like, a lot. But the high points are so extraordinary that they stand up there as the greatest filmmaking I've seen in years. I'm thankful enough for those moments that I can't help but view the entire endeavour as a roaring success.

Nibel

The more I think about the ending, the more I love it. I accept E17 as the ending of the season and E18 as some kind of epilogue (or intro for a new season)

Fantastic television. I'll remember that last scene with Coop and Laura forever

I have a theory... mostly because I still can't get over that finale.

If it were to move into s4 I'd predict things might be explained like this. Elaine Page is Laura Palmer possessed by Bob. Instead of dooming Laura to be murdered, all Cooper achieved was dooming her to be possessed. It would explain the dead body in her house, and her sketchy behaviour. It would also explain her horrified explosion at the end, hearing her mums voice and possibly being flooded by memories of her old life. I reckon she probably ended up murdering her own family, and leaving Twin Peaks and disappearing ala Mr C. It explains why her family no longer exist in Twin Peaks, yet other characters possibly do (the glimpse of The RR Diner) and why a Black Lodge resident had ownership of their house. In a way it resets everything in the story, and Lynch likes his circular stories.

EGM1966

In EP18 you hear what sounds like Sarah Palmer calling for Laura so I presume it's that in terms of the credit mention.

EDIT: on another topic regarding that did I read that the woman in possession of the house is the actual owner in real life? That's pretty quirky. Hope she doesn't end up with a lot of Peaks fans seeking her out now to have their own doorstep conversation with her!

Flipyap

What was Richard & Linda, 2 birds with one stone about now? I know Richard and Linda signify Cooper and Diane in the alternate reality, but why the two birds phrase?
Maybe it was meant to remind him of his original plan, to give him some direction? It's something he would definitely understand, unlike the Richard and Linda part which was a mystery to him until it happened.

What I want to know is... what is in our house now? How and when did it get there? What is our house? When is now?
Judy (or Experiment, if they're different beings) would be the most impactful option, but that requires so much conjecture to answer any of the other questions, it becomes utterly meaningless. It's hard to even call it a mystery when both the question and the answer aren't worth pondering.
The doppleganger would be a more logical answer (yeah, I know... logic), but I don't know how "now" would work if our house is the black and white place, because the Fireman seemed a little bit busy when Doop popped in, it also doesn't seem like it's even worth mentioning if they had it under control with their floating cage thing.

That was 17.

Well this makes things even creepier.

I thought it was a Leland scream, but since Sarah is seen nowhere else, she's the only possibility.

That makes the ending more chilling.

It's not just that Sarah is calling Laura that made it unsettling for me, but that it's a sample of Sarah calling Laura from the pilot, when she is looking for her at home on the morning she was found dead.

I can't really read the topic as I don't want anything spoiled, but I started this season very late and I'm currently on episode 11. It's absolutely batshit insane so far. Episode 8 felt like I was losing my mind. I'm honestly not sure I'm enjoying it yet as it's so fucking weird, but I have to see it through to find out what happens.

Slaythe

I can't really read the topic as I don't want anything spoiled, but I started this season very late and I'm currently on episode 11. It's absolutely batshit insane so far. Episode 8 felt like I was losing my mind. I'm honestly not sure I'm enjoying it yet as it's so fucking weird, but I have to see it through to find out what happens.

LEAVE THIS FUCKING THREAD YOU FOOL

Audioboxer

LEAVE THIS FUCKING THREAD YOU FOOL

I did a blind post yesterday to say I was watching the finale later :p You've got to watch where you look!

On a potential new season/movie, Lynch would be best focusing on staying inside Twin Peaks.

Does anyone know if he's commented on location choices for season 3? Was it all by choice to spread out and explain everything in a bigger context? Or was there maybe budget issues filming wherever all the season 1/2 buildings/environments are? I don't think there needs to be another season/movie, but if anyone can do it Lynch can. Probably won't happen though due to contractual complications, actor ages/actors who have died, budget and so on.

hughesta

Banned
it's definitely Sarah's voice that wakes Laura up, and that's the part that frightens me, so much I can't sleep. That pitched down "Laura" is absolutely chilling, and the bloodcurdling scream that comes from Laura Palmer as she realizes all at once who she is, where she is, and what's been done to her, as the dream shuts down and the lights black out, is maybe the scariest thing that's ever been on television.

Slaythe

I did a blind post yesterday to say I was watching the finale later :p You've got to watch where you look!

On a potential new season/movie, Lynch would be best focusing on staying inside Twin Peaks.

Does anyone know if he's commented on location choices for season 3? Was it all by choice to spread out and explain everything in a bigger context? Or was there maybe budget issues filming wherever all the season 1/2 buildings/environments are? I don't think there needs to be another season/movie, but if anyone can do it Lynch can. Probably won't happen though due to contractual complications, actor ages/actors who have died, budget and so on.

I think it's a mix of both. They certainly couldn't get everyone there but there was also the will to mix it up.

Also, now that we have a new reality (even if he gets out of this nightmare, which is a big IF, he still erased Laura's death which would lead to a whole new timeline), I don't think "actors aging / dying" is a problem.

It's basically a clean slate at this point. Just need Kyle and Sheryl.

It's not just that Sarah is calling Laura that made it unsettling for me, but that it's a sample of Sarah calling Laura from the pilot, when she is looking for her at home on the morning she was found dead.

Oh that's sick

Fantastic television. I'll remember that last scene with Coop and Laura forever

That last scene is probably my favorite final scene in series finale history now even over Sopranos and Mad Men.

rewatched that moment a few times now and its still one of the creepiest things I've seen from Lynch. something about how hopeless Coop looks when he asks "what year is this?" and then hearing Sarah (Judy?) faintly yell Laura with Laura then giving a god-tier scream as she realizes she's in a nightmare...and then that oppressively downbeat end credits sequence.

god damn. I'm not forgetting that.

at least he gave us a nice ending for the Jones family and the people at the Sherriff's station.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, or what it means, but when Cooper and Diane "cross over" I had the strong feeling they were going back in time to the fifties, back where it all began. Then Cooper wakes up in the present.

Oh and I just want to say that despite all the craziness this show brought us, Gordon Cole's Monica Bellucci dream scene is still my favorite thing from The Return. The close ups, the black and white visuals, the hugely important dreamer quote, Lynch turning around to see his younger self, the incredibly menacing droning score, etc. etc. Just greatness.

I'm glad somebody else thought so, too. I was totally enraptured by that scene! That was just a really good episode overall, and ended up being one of my favourites!

gun_haver

i've thought about it a little more now, knowing everything, and in retrospect

guys this whole thing kind of blows.

it always kind of blew, but i was waiting for it to be complete and well

it just kind of blows. there were good parts, but most of it was boring bullshit and it isn't about anything. that's all i've got to say, after all.

Audioboxer

i've thought about it a little more now and in retrospect

guys this whole thing kind of blows.

Season 2 finale was probably a bigger cliffhanger. This is still a god-tier cliffhanger too but it's based in enough substance for fans to all come up with plausible theories.

Lynch has actually explained quite a bit this season. It's just done in his style and as always not everything is spoon fed to the audience.

I forgot to say yesterday episode 17 flashbacks to season 1 being melded with the current were awesome. Back when James was cool.

I would have liked to have seen some more traditional twin peaks scenes in here, particularly with the characters from the first two seasons.

but still, there were some brilliant moments of filmmaking in this season AND all of the humor was a big hit as well imo. Some if it among the funniest things this show (or any show) has ever had, particularly anything involving the Jones family and Vegas.

hughesta

Banned
yeah i will inevitably think a bit more but when the necessity is to 'think until you like it' maybe the simpler option is just, nah it sucked.
actually this season is incredible. but it is also very trying, perhaps the most trying season of television to ever air. Some people don't like that, and that's okay. but you can't just flatly say that it sucked, because it certainly didn't do that.

That final scene is going to stick with me forever. Unquestionably haunting.

gun_haver

also i want to point out my initial reaction to the finale and the season in general was that i liked it, but now that i've got the whole thing in my view and have had a day to process it, i don't like it. i think it's pointless. it doesn't say anything, it doesn't have a core. it's just random weird shit and a few effective moments. dave's a good director, and in the past he's been a good writer too, but here, he just kind of went into random directions and it didn't amount to anything meaningful after all.

hughesta

Banned
also i want to point out my initial reaction to the finale and the season in general was that i liked it, but now that i've got the whole thing in my view and have had a day to process it, i don't like it. i think it's pointless.
you think it's pointless? I'm curious what your interpretation is of the ending.

That last scene is probably my favorite final scene in series finale history now even over Sopranos and Mad Men.

rewatched that moment a few times now and its still one of the creepiest things I've seen from Lynch. something about how hopeless Coop looks when he asks "what year is this?" and then hearing Sarah (Judy?) faintly yell Laura with Laura then giving a god-tier scream as she realizes she's in a nightmare...and then that oppressively downbeat end credits sequence.

god damn. I'm not forgetting that.

at least he gave us a nice ending for the Jones family and the people at the Sherriff's station.

The very end is definitely bleak, but man the entire drive with Carrie/Laura is unnerving as hell. I'm looking at the immediate reactions to those scenes and people are complaining about being bored with the driving scenes and it's like.... how. There's a strange sense of almost apocalyptic normalcy to those scenes. By the time they cross the bridge into Twin Peaks and Coop is asking Laura if she recognizes anything with this sort of subtly desperate tone, the magic of Twin Peaks has been totally stripped away. When they're standing in the street looking at the classic Palmer house, it's just nothing. No sound, no overt creepiness. Just dead. 2 people out of their reality.

And that gas station that seems to exist in the void? Bruh.... Lynch get me outta here.

Flipyap

Also, now that we have a new reality (even if he gets out of this nightmare, which is a big IF, he still erased Laura's death which would lead to a whole new timeline), I don't think "actors aging / dying" is a problem.

It's basically a clean slate at this point. Just need Kyle and Sheryl.
I can't imagine a continuation without Grace Zabriskie. If something were to happen, I don't think I could survive seeing another important character being portrayed by archival footage projected on some random thing, even if it's as cool as Jumpy-kun.

Welp, watched 18 yesterday and now having some time to sleep on it, Sarah calling Laura's name at the end and the light's going out is disturbing the shit out of me, damn, didn't expect that to resonate with me so much.

Audioboxer

The very end is definitely bleak, but man the entire drive with Carrie/Laura is unnerving as hell. I'm looking at the immediate reactions to those scenes and people are complaining about being bored with the driving scenes and it's like.... how. There's a strange sense of almost apocalyptic normalcy to those scenes. By the time they cross the bridge into Twin Peaks and Coop is asking Laura if she recognizes anything with this sort of subtly desperate tone, the magic of Twin Peaks has been totally stripped away. When they're standing in the street looking at the classic Palmer house, it's just nothing. No sound, no overt creepiness. Just dead. 2 people out of their reality.

And that gas station that seems to exist in the void? Bruh.... Lynch get me outta here.

Yeah, Lynch is fantastic at creating oppressive scenes. Dread and horror are his expertise. He does it in ways that don't require Holywood shock scares or overusing creepy monsters. Although, designs like the Woodsmen are creepy af.

The drive eats away at your sanity. You sit there knowing something is very wrong whilst also cursing Lynch for "eating up" finale time with this! Where's the humour? Where's the happy ending? What the fuck is going on? I don't like this! Sometimes the things you hate are the most effective. It's like driving yourself to your own funeral.

I wish there weren't so many pointless boring subplots. A lot of stuff in the Return is very difficult to watch.

I kind of feel like it blows as well but I also really liked how it ended, so I dunno.

gun_haver

Might be a Danganronpa fan. Feel the ultimate despair. Lynch is the ultimate despair.

i don't know what that is

you think it's pointless? I'm curious what your interpretation is of the ending.

well as far as the ending specifically, and sure i might be wrong i'm totally open to that but

it seems like dale basically crossed over into an alternate reality with diane, and then diane assimilated into this new reality and found him strange (this is why she left), but dale remained himself, so he went to find laura, and he did find her. he takes her back to her house - i don't know why he does this, if the intention was to remove the trauma of her abuse and death, why does he reintroduce her to it at all? - and she pretty much doesn't know who he is or what's going on at all, because this is an alternate world where she is someone else, until the last moments when she hears the echo of her other life and she screams in terror

like, it's an effective moment, but there's nothing to it. it doesn't say anything, unless you want to go into the 'abuse victims create escapist worlds but can't ever escape the pain' route, but even then, it doesn't justify how boring and irrelevant most of the season was to that particular end, because the alternate world only exists in ep 18 and not the whole series, which was depressing and dark.

so i'm left thinking, okay maybe the finale had a point, but it also kind of doesn't. so what's the point of the other 14 hours in the middle. i can't think of one - all of the plots are pretty much left unfinished, except ed and norma, so that's one thing. but even when you go to the cooper and blue rose stuff...it doesn't mean anything man. it's just lore, it's just hocus pocus.

it just seems pointless and like a tossed off bunch of bullshit david lynch came up with, it's not up to the quality of his pre-inland empire work.

but even when you go to the cooper and blue rose stuff...it doesn't mean anything man. it's just lore, it's just hocus pocus.

This is it for me. The problem I think is that Lynch's intuition for this sort of abstract art doesn't always neatly converge with I guess might be Mark Frost's interest in creating a deep mythos for the world that the series' takes place in. A lot of speculation is ongoing on as to what the 'Experiment' and 'Mother' is but I'm fairly sure that neither of these two things were actually mentioned in the series itself and are just things that people lifted from Mark Frost's book and which were then projected onto things that people saw in the TV series. It's all such a wild goose chase to me. It reminds me of Dharma Initiative stuff

Like on the one hand there is this suggestion of a deep backstory going back decades that involves demons who feast on people's misery but on the other you can't help but feel that from the director's POV none of this stuff is really crucial to what Twin Peaks is. But in season 3 these two viewpoints feel constantly in conflict with each other. This is how I feel anyway.

hughesta

Banned
I don't think most of the plotlines were left unfinished at all. BOB/Mr. C is the core plot thread of the season and it gets resolved. A lot of what people are viewing as unfinished plot is just a window into the lives of these people as an exploration of the shows themes of aging and trauma. Sure, a lot of scenes in this might not mean anything directly relating to the plot, but for myself and many others they carried with them some emotional resonance. Sure, there may have been no point to Carl helping that guy not sell his blood anymore, but it's a great scene that shows a man who's been through hell doing what he can to make the lives of others better. And that's just one scene. There's a lot going on that might not mean something to the plot of Twin Peaks, but that mean something to me, and that's what art is all about.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Right now I feel that S3/18 is the best episode of Twin Peaks. It carried over the profound emotional release of episode 17 and spun it into unbearable tension, instilled into every movement of the actors. Lynch can turn a long car ride, or a walk across the front of a motel, into an unspeakable moment of dread.
Every scene was great. It gave me a similar feeling to Inland Empire, my favourite Lynch work, in that it's him doing everything that he's great at, and nothing that can drag his work down. Lynch distilled, the best of what he can offer.
The extended take aesthetic of the new series totally justifies itself in the way that it's here used to bring you into the mind state of a severely mentally disturbed person. Endless paranoia, terror, at...what? It's not going away.
The ending furthers Fire Walk With Me's goal of elevating Laura's suffering above plot instigator and convey the raw horror of familial abuse. Laura can try and take on a different persona to escape from the pain of being Laura Palmer, but one can't ever break free and lead a worthwhile life if they're suppressing that much pain.
Agent Cooper can never free Laura of that pain. That a soul had to bear such agony is too awful an idea to think about - it calls into question our belief in justice and goodness. Agent Cooper, a hero for his pursuit of goodness, loses sight of himself by pursuing his ideal too blindly. He can't wrap his mind around the existence of such pain, that he can't do anything to fix it. The pain he's been witness to is too much for him to rectify with his worldview. He is too emotionally shallow to grieve. Suppressed pain gets the better of him, but unlike Laura, he had a choice. He never needed to make himself collateral damage to Laura's tragedy.

I think it's Lynch's most mature work.

anaron

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, or what it means, but when Cooper and Diane "cross over" I had the strong feeling they were going back in time to the fifties, back where it all began. Then Cooper wakes up in the present.
It seemed like that too with the song from 8 playing.

What I thought was going to happen was, that Coop and Diane were going to 'wake up' to the still sleeping fifties confirming that everything in the world of TP was created through the endless dreams of the people put to sleep by the charcoal guy/Judy.

It would explain the fifties aesthetic rampant across the series too despite the modern setting.

gun_haver

This is it for me. The problem I think is that Lynch's intuition for this sort of abstract art doesn't always neatly converge with I guess might be Mark Frost's interest in creating a deep mythos for the world that the series' takes place in. A lot of speculation is ongoing on as to what the 'Experiment' and 'Mother' is but I'm fairly sure that neither of these two things were actually mentioned in the series itself and are just things that people lifted from Mark Frost's book and which were then projected onto things that people saw in the TV series. It's all such a wild goose chase to me. It reminds me of Dharma Initiative stuff

Like on the one hand there is this suggestion of a deep backstory going back decades that involves demons who feast on people's misery but on the other you can't help but feel that from the director's POV none of this stuff is really crucial to what Twin Peaks is. But in season 3 these two viewpoints feel constantly in conflict with each other. This is how I feel anyway.

yeah, i mean i don't line up exactly with what you're saying because i haven't read any of the books or any extended material at all really, i've only seen the original series, the movie (both of which i loved by the way) and this, and i find myself in this weird conflict in my head which is just - okay so this might have meant that, but wait that doesn't line up with this other thing, or wait it was trying to seem like something else, no that doesn't make sense hold on why was this part even in this and so on, and so on

and this isn't a feeling i have about things like mulholland drive or blue velvet, his two masterpieces. they are both ambiguous and strange but clearly have a core to the story which is very important and effective.

so i'm left thinking, either i actually am completely missing the point here and david lynch just pulled something off that i cannot understand on any real level

or

it just kind of blew.

Audioboxer

Are there any credible theories to who the little girl from the past is? (one the bug goes into) Or is it just thought she's just part of trying to show how some things began?

I just watched that crazy episode without over thinking it or even discussing it. In fact, I've hardly done any discussing for the season. I preferred just to see it all first in case Lynch answered something the following week (lol).

I should say I haven't read the Frost books at all, it's just that I don't remember these names for the spirits ever being mentioned other than 'Judy'.

I don't like chasing lore stuff really and I don't think it's what Lynch intends us to do with this series.

Top Bottom