• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter being rebranded to “X”, bird logo going away

I actually like the new name and think Twitter deserves a rebranding. I'm just here for the ride and if Elon actually kills X/Twitter then whatever it's not the end of the world.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
mRP95os.jpg

videos on twitter gonna be called x videos. joking aside i can see the idea that he is 'supposedly' trying to implement but there was no reason to change one of the biggest brands in the world

NickFire

I think we're either watching the start of his next big thing or we're about 1/2 way through a massive train wreck.

I wonder if the other investors are lighting cigars, shitting their pants, or a little of both today?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Maybe to prove to the world that he shouldn't have been ousted from his old CEO gig at X/Paypal, where he had an ambitious plan for X to take over the legacy financial world. You would do payments, checking, savings, stock trading, and insurance through one app. He's talking similarly now about Twitter being a do everything convergence app.

Would anyone want to use Twitter 2.0 (aka X) as a shopping/banking/trading platform when there's always the risk your account could get banned for whatever reason? Make a few bad jokes, get a temp ban and the result is you're financially fucked?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Would anyone want to use Twitter 2.0 (aka X) as a shopping/banking/trading platform when there's always the risk your account could get banned for whatever reason? Make a few bad jokes, get a temp ban and the result is you're financially fucked?
Yes. Same problem that Meta has where if you get suspended from Facebook you can no longer use your Quest 2 or play any of the games you bought.

Convergence is bad for end-users. I'd rather have a compartmentalized payments app of my choice, a stock app of my choice, a bank app of my choice, etc.

dorkimoe

He is the biggest dumbass on the planet, this is second to HBO removing HBO from their name.
The bird logo and name are all he had, he literally has nothing now. The app was already dying and this might have finished it off.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Yes. Same problem that Meta has where if you get suspended from Facebook you can no longer use your Quest 2 or play any of the games you bought.

Convergence is bad for end-users. I'd rather have a compartmentalized payments app of my choice, a stock app of my choice, a bank app of my choice, etc.
That's a really good point.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Maybe to prove to the world that he shouldn't have been ousted from his old CEO gig at X/Paypal, where he had an ambitious plan for X to take over the legacy financial world. You would do payments, checking, savings, stock trading, and insurance through one app. He's talking similarly now about Twitter being a do everything convergence app.
That Paypal X doesn't sound like the worst idea I've ever heard.

I don't have much of an opinion on extending Twitter's tendrils into other types of social media or whatever the vision here is.

Dropping the Twitter branding for the fucking letter X though? That just seems lame... Though back when it launched I thought Twitter was an incredibly stupid name and that nobody would ever talk about "tweets" out loud and here we are.

The X thing reminds of playing R6 Siege on Xbox (I wonder if this happened in other games), where for some reason all the kids on that game were obsessed with getting as short of a gamer tag as possible, and would send you hate mail from their account, with, for example, the gamertag 'yhqd' and try to tell you that you're jealous because you can't afford a 4-letter gamer tag and they paid like $150. Quite the flex bro.

Imagine getting permanently locked out of your e-mail when you're waiting to hear back from a job you applied to, or you're trying to pay some bills that you have setup to be e-mailed to you, or any number of other reasons why it might be really important to access your e-mail account.

Now imagine the reason you were locked out of your e-mail is because you were guilty of the crime of spamming emoticons in the chat of a you tube stream, because the person hosting the stream was playing a video game and asked viewers to post a green emoticon for choice A, or a blue emoticon for choice B. Because that really happened to hundreds of google users several years ago. It took weeks for them to get their accounts back, and the only reason they did is probably because the streamer was famous and created some bad PR for the company.

So yes, I fully agree convergence is a really bad thing.

0neAnd0nly

Imagine getting permanently locked out of your e-mail when you're waiting to hear back from a job you applied to, or you're trying to pay some bills that you have setup to be e-mailed to you, or any number of other reasons why it might be really important to access your e-mail account.

Now imagine the reason you were locked out of your e-mail is because you were guilty of the crime of spamming emoticons in the chat of a you tube stream, because the person hosting the stream was playing a video game and asked viewers to post a green emoticon for choice A, or a blue emoticon for choice B. Because that really happened to hundreds of google users several years ago. It took weeks for them to get their accounts back, and the only reason they did is probably because the streamer was famous and created some bad PR for the company.

So yes, I fully agree convergence is a really bad thing.

Heck, there are some "controversial" political figures that have been banned from banking or opening credit cards with virtually all of them, all due to their views on a podcast, youtube video, etc.

Regardless of ones takes, as bad or good as they are - as long as they aren't illegal... that's a pretty friggin scary reality literally occurring right now.

So yes, though I am not one who thinks Musk is all of a sudden "stupid", regardless of how these moves he is making end up, I still don't like mass centralized control over massive sectors.

I do think his vision was extraordinary on the PayPal thing though. I never knew that until I read it in this thread. His vision, though certainly something I don't like, was very ahead of the game.

Last edited:

Tams

His original proposal predates WeChat by many years, but yeah, it's not novel anymore and isn't something anyone should want after seeing how it's misused by authoritarian regimes to completely strip you of privacy and autonomy.

-50 X-points.

You can't drive for six months.

VN1X

Banned
Bluesky (Apple's version of twitter, yes I don't know it either) calls their tweets "skeets" (lmao). So now I hope that X's tweets will instead be rebranded as "scats".

Thirty7ven

Banned
I think we're either watching the start of his next big thing or we're about 1/2 way through a massive train wreck.

I wonder if the other investors are lighting cigars, shitting their pants, or a little of both today?

Oh is this what we are doing?

🚀 🌙 💎 🙌 🦍 💪

Top Bottom