• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter being rebranded to “X”, bird logo going away

ahtlas7

6CPOLv0.jpg

Twitter is crossing the threshold. Becoming one of us.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's odd that Twitter is losing so much money when they have great advertisers like this

F15BzJXWcAAIPiH
The surge of "as seen on tv" items being advertised on Twitter is killing my budget. Finally they're advertising stuff I can use.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Pretty sure college athletes are drug tested regularly.

As for Musk's tweet - I don't think what he said is controversial at all. It's certainly something to consider when an 18 year old is collapsing from cardiac arrest. Bad timing with the tweet though.
I don't know anything about sportsball but I know sports are a big business. Nose Candy is my guess.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Pretty sure college athletes are drug tested regularly.

As for Musk's tweet - I don't think what he said is controversial at all. It's certainly something to consider when an 18 year old is collapsing from cardiac arrest. Bad timing with the tweet though.
No it’s anti-vaxxer gaslighting to the same people on his platform spreading conspiracy theories that Damar Hamlin is really dead and it’s being covered up by “big pharma”.

Can being a billionaire really be this boring?

I could think of so much fun stuff to do.
if i had the money he has then i could see myself doing something similiar for a bit of fun and to fuck about with. i'd have bought Meta instead and ran that shitshow into the ground. $40 billion is a lot even to Elon but if he doesn't make any money back then he's not going to miss it. $40 billion isn't going to leave him broke lol.

and i'm sure he's having fun with SpaceX. i think it'd cool to be a billionaire and have my own space company.

not defending him but just pointing out that with that kind of money this whole twitter thing is probably him messing about with shit for fun and to troll people.

Think after a few months of doing it all it starts getting old and you start getting bored

that's probably what has happened. he's bought it and got bored so that's why he got that CEO woman in to run it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyberpunkd

No, it is controversial and stupid. All vaccines apart from being tested in the lab are also given to hundreds of millions of people each year. 18-year old collapsing from cardiac arrest most likely indicates undetected heart condition, simple as that.

Vaccines work, it's not a controversial opinion (nor is it in fact an opinion).

What the fuck does this mean?

ngl an art deco design would be vastly preferable to the flat design of the last 7+ years. Flat design is the ugliest and most soulless shit Ive ever seen, and has taken the corporate internet by storm.

Art Deco with all depictions of humans being statuesque and beautiful, plz.

Corian33

Just got an amber alert that was in my area. Tried to click the link to get more information. Aaaand of course it goes to a page telling me I need to be logged into X/Twitter to see the post.

I’m sure that since Elon is very concerned about the children and everything he’ll get right on fixing this completely foreseeable, very tangible, and completely solvable problem. Any minute now I bet…

justonething

Jada's BFF
Just got an amber alert that was in my area. Tried to click the link to get more information. Aaaand of course it goes to a page telling me I need to be logged into X/Twitter to see the post.

I’m sure that since Elon is very concerned about the children and everything he’ll get right on fixing this completely foreseeable, very tangible, and completely solvable problem. Any minute now I bet…
It's your stupid council's or government's fault for putting it on Xitter and not their official website and nothing to do with Elon who is a shitbag but not to blame here.

Corian33

It's your stupid council's or government's fault for putting it on Xitter and not their official website and nothing to do with Elon who is a shitbag but not to blame here.
It’s almost like he’s undermined the most valuable contribution of Twitter to society. Being a means to rapidly, openly communicate information to the entire world. Such that governments and institutions came to trust and rely on it.

Sure, they could/should have their own website, but Twitter was perfect for this purpose. I read an article discussing if they did use a regular website it would just crash immediately from all the traffic when an alert goes out. Twitter is can handle that kind of traffic, which made it valuable. Not so much anymore.

I think it's in Twitter/Xs best interest to just info dump the exchanges. We're only seeing what a few journos thought was interesting, which was already filtered by Elon and his team to call out bans/moderation that he disagreed with.

The argument that the twitter files were filtered by Musk before providing them to journalists is unproven speculation. Here's an old post of mine that addresses that topic:

I'd recommend watching the timestamped video in that post for full context. The only thing I'd add is that the mainstream media couldn't even fairly or accurately report on the twitter files when it was made a story for them, so I wouldn't trust them in the least with thousands upon thousands of e-mails to use to tell their predetermined narrative. We'd just get the "horse de-wormer" version of the twitter files, and screw that. For that reason alone, I'm against an info dump.

However, there are plenty of the people on the left who were also banned for challenging establishment power, and I would love for more of those people and the journalists who are sympathetic to their situation to be given access to the twitter files. The more they can show this was about power and not partisanship, the better.

Last edited:

justonething

Jada's BFF
It’s almost like he’s undermined the most valuable contribution of Twitter to society. Being a means to rapidly, openly communicate information to the entire world. Such that governments and institutions came to trust and rely on it.

Sure, they could/should have their own website, but Twitter was perfect for this purpose. I read an article discussing if they did use a regular website it would just crash immediately from all the traffic when an alert goes out. Twitter is can handle that kind of traffic, which made it valuable. Not so much anymore.
Governments are fully responsible for disseminating important information, period. No ifs no buts. If your government is not even competent enough to be on top of these things, know what's going on with the tools they use and have information on their own self-hosted platform and instead rely on one social media platform that's going through a transition - your government needs changing as that's probably far from the begining of their problems.

DrFigs

I remember like during 2020, there was so much discussion about Twitter being regulated like a utility or even the government taking it over because it was so vital for communication. It is pretty incredible how quick the discourse changed. and that like in the next year or two, it'll be like digg or myspace.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

It’s almost like he’s undermined the most valuable contribution of Twitter to society.
There is none, except if you count a simplified clickbait thoughts 140 characters in length “contribution”.

Also the government should spread important info via forced SMS messages all carriers should be obliged by law to distribute, not on a fucking social media platform.

Last edited:
No, it is controversial and stupid. All vaccines apart from being tested in the lab are also given to hundreds of millions of people each year. 18-year old collapsing from cardiac arrest most likely indicates undetected heart condition, simple as that.

All I have to say as a person who's gotten all the vaccines - where did the mercury go?

MrMephistoX

Just wanted to say despite all the dumb shit Twitter is still kicking Threads Ass when it comes to discussing news: like I’ve seen one or two posts about the UAP hearings, McoNnel having a stroke on LIVE TV apparently and other news but it’s still mostly just hot takes from influencers even with the follow tab. I’ve even seen way better coverage on non politics stuff on Twitter like Sports, the SAG strike and the unfortunate passing of Sinead O’Conner today whaich all you guessed it broke first on Twitter. I’ve said it before but Twitter good or for ill is the standard for LIVE actual news just like CNN where it gets weird is when there’s nothing really topical going on: and even then I’m not going there to read comments I’m there to discover all the news in one place instead of opening up web browser tabs for CNN Fox and the NYtimes and letting it be curated based only on what they put on the front page.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There is none, except if you count a simplified clickbait thoughts 140 characters in length “contribution”.

Also the government should spread important info via forced SMS messages all carriers should be obliged by law to distribute, not on a fucking social media platform.
If Twitter disappeared, the only loss for me would be skimming sports articles and sometimes they embed a tweet of a scoring highlight. Much better and faster than waiting for a sports site to do it. But pending the tweet, some are region locked anyway which is stupid. So I cant view any ESPN-based MMA highlight tweets anyway.

Since I dont have a twitter account and get locked out of 95% of tweets (although some allow me to read or view the video. I'm not sure why as I thought all non-members have to sign up), I dont care. My life hasnt changed one bit since I've viewed fewer tweets.

At the end of the day, it's just goofy entertainment. Most people wont remember 99% of it the next day. Just fill your time with something else. It's like people saying junk food is empty calories. I agree. Most social media is empty too.

Toons

No it’s anti-vaxxer gaslighting to the same people on his platform spreading conspiracy theories that Damar Hamlin is really dead and it’s being covered up by “big pharma”.

Exactly. Its antivaxxer nonsense lmao. Elon doing what Elon does, saying the dumbest thing imaginable and completing shirking his responsibilities as a head of this major site.

Toons

Governments are fully responsible for disseminating important information, period. No ifs no buts. If your government is not even competent enough to be on top of these things, know what's going on with the tools they use and have information on their own self-hosted platform and instead rely on one social media platform that's going through a transition - your government needs changing as that's probably far from the begining of their problems.

You missed the point.

They were using it because it offered a quicker and convenient way to reach a lot of people efficiently. It operated as such for years, but only now because of these changes that is no longer the case.

Sure they can make their own system for this. But thats your tax dollars going to it. It was better for everyone involved when it was Twitter allowing his services to be of use for stuff like this.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

You know what we know causes a dramatic increase in the risk of heart problems?

Getting COVID

Hence, vaccines.

Just going by what X Corps lawyers are saying in court.
Where did you see that twitter lawyers in court ever claimed that the twitter files were filtered before being given to journalists, and why would that possibly legally benefit them to even make that claim?

I also do get that Twitter lawyers in court might agree that the government did not FORCE twitter to do anything. That is not the accusation. The accusation is that the government influenced and directed twitter to remove legal speech under the threat of removing twitter's legal protection and using the press to pressure the company and create bad publicity for them, all of which circumvents / violates the first amendment of the constitution.

If we were talking about Russia, and their government said to facebook "we're going to make it so people can sue you, unless you remove more of the posts we tell you to remove" no one in the US would be defending that, and they don't even have a first amendment to prevent that sort of thing. It's authoritarian behavior for a government to dictate what their citizens can say on the internet like that, and that's especially true when it censors particular government criticism, which is what the US government did with twitter.

Top Bottom