• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter being rebranded to “X”, bird logo going away

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Where did you see that twitter lawyers in court ever claimed that the twitter files were filtered before being given to journalists, and why would that possibly legally benefit them to even make that claim?

I also do get that Twitter lawyers in court might agree that the government did not FORCE twitter to do anything. That is not the accusation. The accusation is that the government influenced and directed twitter to remove legal speech under the threat of removing twitter's legal protection and using the press to pressure the company and create bad publicity for them, all of which circumvents / violates the first amendment of the constitution.

If we were talking about Russia, and their government said to facebook "we're going to make it so people can sue you, unless you remove more of the posts we tell you to remove" no one in the US would be defending that, and they don't even have a first amendment to prevent that sort of thing. It's authoritarian behavior for a government to dictate what their citizens can say on the internet like that, and that's especially true when it censors particular government criticism, which is what the US government did with twitter.
In that court filing I linked earlier.

In that court filing I linked earlier.
Well, okay then. It doesn't seem like a thing to focus on, here. Lawyers for Fox News and MSNBC have both said that those two are entertainment companies rather than news companies, in order to shield them from the consequences of their actions. Microsoft lawyers claimed that internal discussion about destroying playstation though buying massive 3rd party publishers was just a "thought exercise."

I'm a lot less interested in the justifications used by lawyers than I am actual proof, and I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Well, okay then. It doesn't seem like a thing to focus on, here. Lawyers for Fox News and MSNBC have both said that those two are entertainment companies rather than news companies, in order to shield them from the consequences of their actions. Microsoft lawyers claimed that internal discussion about destroying playstation though buying massive 3rd party publishers was just a "thought exercise."

I'm a lot less interested in the justifications used by lawyers than I am actual proof, and I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise.
I’m the opposite. I don’t really care why moderation on any website does what they does. I’m just here for the chicks.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
All right, now this I take issue with. Absolutely abhorrent.

Twitter came under renewed fire Thursday over its handling of child sex abuse imagery after it reinstated the account of a right-wing influencer who had tweeted an image of a toddler being tortured.

“Only people on our CSE team have seen those pictures,” Musk tweeted, referring to the company’s child sexual exploitation staff. “For now, we will delete those posts and reinstate the account.”
In fact, the image in question had drawn more than 3 million views and 8,000 retweets, according to Twitter statistics on a cached version of the tweet from Tuesday.

Experts said that even photos that are partially obscured, such as the image shared by the influencer, typically qualify as illegal child sex abuse material, or CSAM.

Last edited:
I see they have changed the tab name to X now instead of twitter.

still showing as twitter.com even if i go to x.com

ios app still has blue bird logo and in app and still called twitter. waiting patiently for them to get rid of the bird and rename it to X.

in all my days of internet browsing and being on twitter since 2007, it was recently (few weeks ago) on twitter that i saw CSAM. i couldn't believe what i was seeing and was shocked/disgusted. i swore that if i ever had to see that shit again i would immediate close my account.

all i did was click on one of the trending topics. if i remember right it was "Discord". there were 3 different posts. i think they were bots as they all had a huge list of hashtags (including #discord of course) and then a video of the content :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited by a moderator:
ios app is now got the X logo and called "X".

How long is it going to take them to get rid of all mentions of Twitter/tweets though? If Elon wants to go all in with this X shit then do it right fuck sake.

Chittagong

Gold Member
My app icon just changed. I will be a contrarian and say that the rebrand is better than no rebrand.

1 - Nobody would buy a Twitter crypto or a Twitter Pay. See Facebook. X crypto on the other hand, for sure.

2 - X clearly distances itself from all the toxic culture of Twitter and communicates this is a different organisation.

3 - X and black colour associate with Space X, Tesla and Starlink.

4 - X is an iconic name and logo, if you can own the mindshare (never mind the actual IP).

The actual rollout was underwhelming with no new “X features” introduced, and clearly basic due diligence not done.

If this works, most people stay on, and the brand successfully expands to banking and commerce, this will be seen as an effective, unprecedented way to jumpstart an user base.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If this works, most people stay on, and the brand successfully expands to banking and commerce, this will be seen as an effective, unprecedented way to jumpstart an user base.

I'm interested to see how this experiment plays out. Is the inertia of the pre-installed user base great enough to power through the transition? We shall see. Either way it's not my money so I'll enjoy the show. In 10 years, this will be talked about in the business textbooks as either brilliant or monumentally stupid.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

remember me futurama GIF

Toons

My app icon just changed. I will be a contrarian and say that the rebrand is better than no rebrand.

1 - Nobody would buy a Twitter crypto or a Twitter Pay. See Facebook. X crypto on the other hand, for sure.

The people who are willing to buy Elon crypto would buy it whatever its called.
Elon IS Twitter now, hes seen to that. Hes made himself synonymous with it, which is why a rebrand at this stage is nonsensical.

2 - X clearly distances itself from all the toxic culture of Twitter and communicates this is a different organisation.
It replaces something people were at least cognizant of, something that literally became a verb, with something vague and having no identity at all. Thats the worst thing a brand can ever do.

3 - X and black colour associate with Space X, Tesla and Starlink.

Which 90% of the user base have little to no interaction with, aside from tesla. And even then... that stigma can't reflect well on an already toxic app.

4 - X is an iconic name and logo, if you can own the mindshare (never mind the actual IP).
Its not iconic, its just everywhere becayse it means nothing and everything. Its like a placeholder. X means multiply, means x men, means extreme, means anything.

Last edited:

Red5

No amount of rebranding is going to help. The platform turned into a bot filled trash dump and sprinkled with child abuse videos, conspiracy theory nutjobs and bitcoin shills. Sooner or later all major news outlets are going to jump ship to another platform as soon as they take off.

Twitter or X has become a vanity project for Musk at the expense of the platform itself.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Chittagong

Gold Member
How is he so fucking bad at everything he does? lol

Bad? I can’t think of a rebrand where the installation of a sign on top of the HQ would have warranted its own AP story, and then some

A minor fine (at worst) will be a cheap price for the earned brand recognition.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I'm sure the people of San Fran are ecstatic that the city government has jumped on this important safety issue of a moderately sized sign on top of a building.

Meanwhile

San-Fransisco-Accident-min.gif

Nobody_Important

Bad? I can’t think of a rebrand where the installation of a sign on top of the HQ would have warranted its own AP story, and then some

A minor fine (at worst) will be a cheap price for the earned brand recognition.
"Brand recognition"? lol

The world is openly mocking how stupid all of this is. Twitter was already not even close to being worth 44 billion BEFORE he bought it and every since then every move he has made has tanked the value even more. Trying to get rid of the iconic Twitter logo and the name itself is the dumbest shit he has done so far.

Trying to twist this circus into a positive is ridiculous.

Last edited:

JonSnowball

Evidently, a great many don't understand what false equivalence is. I'm looking forward to the AP article on Elon Musk violently shitting his pants at a public event, it'll further his reputation as being able to attract press attention. 4D chess mother fuckers!

YCoCg

Here's a crazy idea, all of those things are bad.

The case in this thread though is specifically talking about Twitter/X and doesn't exclude the fact that Elon did this without getting the proper planning permission which lets be fair, for a guy who has that much money could've pushed it through ASAP, instead he decided to be all "LOL I'M REBEL!" and just do it without even telling the landlord.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I just don’t understand the point of this rebranding. What’s the endgame here? X sounds so incredibly dumb to use in a conversation

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

I just don’t understand the point of this rebranding. What’s the endgame here? X sounds so incredibly dumb to use in a conversation
I'm convinced that the ship is sinking and Musk knows it. He is just trolling and having fun on the way down.

It's only plausible explanation as to why he would intentionally do so much damage to the company and brand like this.

I'm sure the people of San Fran are ecstatic that the city government has jumped on this important safety issue of a moderately sized sign on top of a building.

Meanwhile

San-Fransisco-Accident-min.gif

One of the people who carjacked and crashed this car was violating parole, and yet somehow they still couldn't figure out how to arrest and detain them 🤡🤡🤡

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So yeah, it just changed Twitter to X on my Android app a couple of days ago.

Screenshot-20230729-191944.jpg

Last edited:

"Boy I can't wait for Twitter to die so I can go be censored by The Zuck instead"
"Look all the brand damage he is doing, BILLIONS in brand damage"

This confused me quite a bit until a clicked on the tweet. Also X is still twitter to me, and likely always will be. Same for meta, which is still facebook. I won't play your stupid rename games.

Last edited:

Cha

Oh shi-, this is real! Just saw it on the app So, are "tweets" gonna change to "posts", or "xeets"?
I wouldn't mind a name change if it wasn't more than superficial. The Twitter name was hella strong. And the idea of calling our tiny voices on the internet "tweets" seems carefully thought out. But "X" is a severe downgrade of a name that I feel is gonna get lost in the sea of other "X" branded things.

Edit: Well, for now, the twitter search bar still says "search twitter, and our posts are still called tweets. This just like a logo rebrand or what? Will just have to wait and see how this ends.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
People being legitimately angry and upset that Twitter is now X and a Tweet is now a Post as if this change impacts them or their lives in any way whatsoever is hilarious to me.

"Noooo, the app icon is now an X instead of a blue bird, this is the worst noooo" dude do you know how ridiculous you sound? Take a step back and reevaluate your emotional investment in this application.

Last edited:
People being legitimately angry and upset that Twitter is now X and a Tweet is now a Post as if this change impacts them or their lives in any way whatsoever is hilarious to me.

"Noooo, the app icon is now an X instead of a blue bird, this is the worst noooo" dude do you know how ridiculous you sound? Take a step back and reevaluate your emotional investment in this application.
I think you're misunderstanding the issue here. They don't care about Twitter or X or anything like that. Their fundamental issue is they hate Elon Musk for some reason or another and are looking for ways to justify and spread their hatred. It was never about Twitter from the beginning.

YCoCg

I've heard Elon is planning on getting some stadium speakers installed on the roof so he can play this 24/7

Top Bottom