• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Muslim mothers attacked in Brooklyn, "Get the fuck out of America, bitches"

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Yes, their are a lot of catholic Muslims. Still weird that she has so much hate for a religion that makes up a large part of her culture though. The physical assault part makes me think that she's probably not right in the head anyway, so god only knows what her logic was.
This isn't logical or empirical.

Yes, their are a lot of catholic Muslims. Still weird that she has so much hate for a religion that makes up a large part of her culture though. The physical assault part makes me think that she's probably not right in the head anyway, so god only knows what her logic was.

Didnt know there were many catholic muslims

You learn something new every day

EMT0

Banned
Sorry, doesn't excuse or justify it.

Also it isn't about making fun of her name, it is about making fun of someone for having g a foreign name. As if that even means anything.

You realize...that I'm pointing out her name to point our hypocrisy, right? Not because I think foreign-sounding names are inherently 'Un-American'

hiryu64

I don't care.

People have foreign names, and are American citizens, it is a part of their identity and heritage. Attacking someone and belittling them over that is mean-spirited, narrow-minded, and disrespectful.

It also just shows that you aren't above discriminating against someone based on a superfluous detail. Just like she wasn't above discriminating against people for being different.

But okay, haha it's funny her name is different.

I must admit, your posts come across as you having a major chip on your shoulder. While the argument you're making isn't wrong (speaking as someone who caught a lot of hell for his name growing up), I think you're missing the forest for the trees, here. There's a profound irony in someone with a non-traditionally American name, born outside of the country (and therefore likely a first-generation immigrant) saying, and I quote, "This is America — you shouldn’t be different from us." I'm pretty sure that's what most posters are zeroing in on when they point out her name and heritage.

If she's Albanian, then wouldn't this be a case of self-hating Muslim or something? Or does Albania have a christian minority?
It's not self hating. I'm a Turkish Atheist and identify as culturally Muslim, but I'm not too fond of overtly religious Muslims. There are even believing Turks that don't like overtly religious people either. Does that make us self-hating? I don't think so. Just critical of religious people.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
So just so we're clear, you're putting people on the same wavelength as her attacking people for being Muslim because her name is wack

Obviously I'm fucking not. I'm saying I is discrimination all the same.

Don't make someone for having a foreign name
Don't attack someone for being different
Don't hate on someone for the color of their skin ect..

They are different levels of discriminatipn, but by finding it more acceptable for less offensive forms of discrimination you create a culture where it is okay to discriminate.

So all I'm saying is don't fucking discriminate against people period. I dot care how unassuming you think it is.

Edit:

This is coming from someone who was forces to change their name as a kid after 9/11 to something more American so I wouldn't be discriminates and harassed.

So, yah I do find it fucking offensive.

Rymuth

Chris-Rock.gif

Sorry, doesn't excuse or justify it.

Also it isn't about making fun of her name, it is about making fun of someone for having g a foreign name. As if that even means anything.
I was not mocking her for having a foreign name or her ethnicity, Jpop. I was drawing attention to the hilarity and irony of someone with such an obvious foreign heritage going on a violent crusade against black people and muslims that ultimately ended in this assault.

My name is Aaron. My middle name is Joseph. My last name is Irish. Yet someone named Emirjeta Xhelili feels the need to tell people like me and Muslims to "get the fuck out of America." That's funny to me, and I have no problem partaking in that amusement.

The Kree

Banned

While she might not be born in America, believe it or not natural born Americans do have foreign names.

I myself do, and find you laughing at that as a bit disrespectful. I guess I should change my name to John, bill ect...

Edit:

Can the posters attacking her for her name not. Americans can have foreign names, I do and so do plenty others. It is short-sighted and just and disrespectful of you guys.

This is what it looks like when irony goes over your head. Don't let it happen to you.

Sai-kun

Banned
“This is America — you shouldn’t be different from us,”

lmfao okay good one Emirjeta. you got me.

fuck this lady.

_Ryo_

What a disgusting piece of shit,disguised as human flesh this woman is.

Unfortunately, I doubt jail time is gonna rid her of her bigotry.

I was not mocking her for having a foreign name or her ethnicity, Jpop. I was drawing attention to the hilarity and irony of someone with such an obvious foreign heritage going on a violent crusade against black people and muslims that ultimately ended in this assault.

My name is Aaron. My middle name is Joseph. My last name is Irish. Yet someone named Emirjeta Xhelili feels the need to tell people like me and Muslims to "get the fuck out of America." That's funny to me, and I have no problem partaking in that amusement.

Its tough being an immigrant in america. To go up in status you need to have something against black people and muslims

Okay, have fun in this thread with your diet discrimination. Because irony.
Please detail what discrimination is taking place in the act of drawing attention to the foreign heritage of a person attacking others with foreign heritage.

Please detail what discrimination is taking place in the act of drawing attention to the foreign heritage of a person attacking others with foreign heritage.
I'm not sure that many of the first posts commenting on her name were doing that, but that's neither here nor there.

Davidion

Poor victims...hope they and their babies are ok.

Also hilarious that she's pulling this shit where all the Eastern Europeans and Asian people are. The fuck is she thinking? This woman is not helping to disprove the insane Albanian stereotype.

Regginator

Not trying to stoop to her level, but what's up, Emirjeta Xhelili doesn't even sound "American" if you're gonna be nitpicking, lol.

Glad she's behind bars, fuck that bigotry.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

The act of the matter is that that is a pretty commonplace western name.

I grew up, Jalal Adullatif Hassan.

So people saying oh, irony makes it funny. It doesn't. Not to me, as someone who has grown up face to face with discrimination, racial profiling ect... BASED, not off the color of my skin but the name on my birth certificate, on my IDs ect..

My name was changed as a child to circumvent that. As an adult I've reclaimed my name and my heritage as my own.i will be damned if I don't call people out for what I grew up experiencing.

So yeah sorry if I ruined your guys fun, but it isn't funny it is offensive.

FreezeSSC

So people saying oh, irony makes it funny. It doesn't. Not to me, as someone who has grown up face to face with discrimination, racial profiling ect... BASED, not off the color of my skin but the name on my birth certificate, on my IDs ect..

My name was changed as a child to circumvent that. As an adult I've reclaimed my name and my heritage as my own.i will be damned if I don't call people out for what I grew up experiencing.

If I heard someone named jalal attacked a muslim for not being american I'd find it ironic too but w/e you say.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, Emirjeta Xhelili.

Good lord, her name looks like the leftover pieces from a Scrabble game

Emirjeta Xhelili

Okay. American. Lol

This lady:
burqa10n-2-web.jpg

Attacked 2 Muslim women in Brooklyn, a city in America. With this name:

And this Facebook post:

With this name for a Facebook page:

Did she get lost moving to Brooklyn? Did she meet a stripper named Brooklyn and decided it must be a nice place to move? Did she get to Brooklyn and wonder where all these Muslims and Blacks came from?

I'm sorry to the Muslim people. This is too much.

Because it only became irony after people go t called out. But sure whatever, I'm out before I say something that will get me banned.

Raguel

You really need to calm down because i think you're missing the point of why people find it ironic. Most here are not making fun of her name. They are pointing out that her, being "different," is attacking other people who are "different" just because they are not "american" enough. They are attacking the hypocrisy of her actions not her name. If someone thinks her name is funny, then you are in the right to criticize that person. But I don't think most people here are doing that.

As for experiences with names, my name is distinctively foreign, being of asian descent. I grew up in a small town full people who were not used to asians. The racism I experienced everyday from not only whites, hispanics, and blacks was a...fun time. I know what its like to have a foreign name. But when it came time for me to have the opportunity to change it, I'm like fuck that. It's who i am. Its my heritage.

reKon

Banned
Good lord, her name looks like the leftover pieces from a Scrabble game

And as fucked up as it is, I'm laughing at how they just grabbed her a half hour later at the same damn spot. Like you just fucking attacked someone, shouldn't you leave

Lmao

I don't care.

People have foreign names, and are American citizens, it is a part of their identity and heritage. Attacking someone and belittling them over that is mean-spirited, narrow-minded, and disrespectful.

It also just shows that you aren't above discriminating against someone based on a superfluous detail. Just like she wasn't above discriminating against people for being different.

But okay, haha it's funny her name is different.

I think it's more the irony that she herself is not American, and yet is attacking these women and telling them to get out of the country because they're not American.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom