• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Muslim mothers attacked in Brooklyn, "Get the fuck out of America, bitches"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

So this is what these people are like in real life. I see them in comments like on youtube and yahoo all the time and yet somehow I always thought they couldn't really be this bad when they aren't on the internet.

...and it's because of cases like these that every single public demonstration of one's religion or spirituality should be forbidden by law (at least for now) in the public space. There's just too much hate, fear and bigotry all around to believe that somehow that kind of behavior will disappear without serious cultural countermeasures: Either everyone displays their religion and expect respect (enforced by law), or ban every religious symbol and clothes so no one can discriminate one from the other. As simple as that. With people like that on the lose, there's no more place for a "middle ground". =(

And the worst part is that those are the very same people that are fueling Trump's campaign (and every far-right european candidate and party).

...and it's because of cases like these that every single public demonstration of one's religion or spirituality should be forbidden by law (at least for now) in the public space. There's just too much hate, fear and bigotry all around to believe that somehow that kind of behavior will disappear without serious cultural countermeasures.

And the worst part is that those are the very same people that are fueling Trump's campaign (and every far-right european candidate and party).

You want to curb people's rights because of mentally unstable bigots?

Even if you think all Muslims are evil, backward terrorists, why would you target the women? In the extremist circles women are gonna be the most underpowered individuals. People like this attacker are cowards.

You want to curb people's rights because of mentally unstable bigots?

Why would those rights be curbed? It's actually really simple: public space is everyone's space, and that means everyone has to make sacrifices in order to live in society and keep things at peace. That's why there's also the private space, where we can do whatever the hell we want.

In time I have learned that school bullys never learn and later in life become the bigots we see in this case and everywhere. And those people simply don't want to understand. They don't care. For them, everyone who's even a tiny bit different is an enemy.

Cut them the hating material supply and they'll be tamed. That's why the public space must be as neutral as possible. And that's a gargantuan task, because bigots have to restrain themselves from bigotry and the rest of us have to restrain from expressing whatever the hell we want to express (either religious or whatever).

Maybe that's why today's different rallies doesn't have the power or the significance that they did in the past: there's been a loss of respect to the public space

Angel_DvA

Why would those rights be curbed? It's actually really simple: public space is everyone's space, and that means everyone has to make sacrifices in order to live in society and keep things at peace. That's why there's also the private space, where we can do whatever the hell we want.

In time I have learned that school bullys never learn and later in life become the bigots we see in this case and everywhere. And those people simply don't want to understand. They don't care. For them, everyone who's even a tiny bit different is an enemy.

Cut them the hating material supply and they'll be tamed. That's why the public space must be as neutral as possible. And that's a gargantuan task, because bigots have to restrain themselves from bigotry and the rest of us have to restrain from expressing whatever the hell we want to express (either religious or whatever).

Maybe that's why today's different rallies doesn't have the power or the significance that they did in the past: there's been a loss of respect to the public space

You make too much sense for this world dude, let it go.

Edit: not sure if I'm still feeling it after reading more of your thoughts...

sirap

This is dumb. Innocent people shouldn't have to sacrifice anything for bigoted fools.

Should black people not be allowed to walk in public places to stop racists from acting up? Should wives and daughters be locked at home to stop rape from happening?

Your solution for "peace" seems to be exactly what bigots and racists want--a world where they don't have to see or deal with people they hate.

This is dumb. Innocent people shouldn't have to sacrifice anything for bigoted fools.

Should black people not be allowed to walk in public places to stop racists from acting up? Should wives and daughters be locked at home to stop rape from happening?

Your solution for "peace" seems to be exactly what bigots and racists want--a world where they don't have to see or deal with people they hate.

I'll give you a perfect example: Should an atheist go and yell every christian, muslim, jew or whatever in the street that they're wrong, that their religion sucks and that they should go back to caves? Nope, they do not, because first and foremost public space is everyone's space and they cannot say or do that out of respect and as an implicit rule to live in society. Should the christian guy that yells and preaches at the public square do that? nope, he shouldn't, because he's occupying public space with his own views and creeds that others may not agree with. The same can be said about everything.

I, for one, am open minded and tolerant, but I don't know if the guy/girl next to me is as well, nor if the guy/girl in front of me is a bigot. Given that scenario, I take the necessary precautions before going out in the street, to respect public pace and to "not give food to the troll".

Heck, some summers I've even considered going out in the street in just underpants (because of the heat) and it's only out of decency and respect to other people that I haven't done it.

DonMigs85

em3.jpg

It's a shame an animal lover like her could be such a hateful bigot to fellow humans.

sirap

I'll give you a perfect example: Should an atheist go and yell every christian, muslim, jew or whatever in the street that they're wrong, that their religion sucks and that they should go back to caves? Nope, they do not, because first and foremost public space is everyone's space and they cannot say or do that out of respect and as an implicit rule to live in society. Should the christian guy that yells and preaches at the public square do that? nope, he shouldn't, because he's occupying public space with his own views and creeds that others may not agree with. The same can be said about everything.

I, for one, am open minded and tolerant, but I don't know if the guy/girl next to me is as well, nor if the guy/girl in front of me is a bigot. Given that scenario, I take the necessary precautions before going out in the street, to respect public pace and to "not give food to the troll".

Heck, some summers I've even considered going out in the street in just underpants (because of the heat) and it's only out of decency and respect to other people that I haven't done it.

So people shouldn't wear religious garbs in public out of respect to bigots? Come on dude, rethink your argument. You're not making any sense.

Are you secretly trolling us? You can't be serious...right?

You're asking people to accomodate racism and bigotry. If I see two gay men holding hands in public, I'm not going to run up to them and punch them in the dick. That's crazy and homophobic, and there should be no reason why they shouldn't be able to be together in public just because of my prejudice.

Don't dress sexily if you don't want men to rape you.

Don't grow a beard and have brown skin, people might think you're a terrorist.

Don't be black, you're gonna get shot in public.

Angel_DvA

I don't think it's what he's saying... I think he's just talking about religion appartenance stuff like cross, Kipa, Islamic veil etc...

sirap

I don't think it's what he's saying... I think he's just talking about religion appartenance stuff like cross, Kipa, Islamic veil etc...

You're not hurting anybody by wearing those things.

How far do you take it? Women shouldn't be allowed to wear scarves or hijabs because it hurts a racist's feelings?

That's like saying women shouldn't show cleavage or wear skirts because of rapists.

So people shouldn't wear religious garbs in public out of respect to bigots? Come on dude, rethink your argument. You're not making any sense.

What I'm ultimately saying is that living in society requires an effort from everyone and bigots can be bigots all they want...at their home, in private. Out in the street, they have to keep their mouth shut and hands in their pocket. The same can be said for anyone displaying anything (religious or not) that could differentiate significantly from the rest, because it will inevitably raise tensions. For how I see it, it's the only way multiculturalism could work: with a neutral ground for everyone to interact in.

And you can't compare what are obvious crimes such as rape or discrmination by race with wearing or not any garment or accessory. There are implicit dress codes within societies that one must follow in order to "go unnoticed" within the masses. Heh...where I live, even catholic nuns have to wear "regular clothes" when they leave the convent to go buy something at the pharmacy or supermarket (even though the majority of the country is catholic). The only thing that differentiates them is an accessory and a little cross that you really have to notice, otherwise they'd go by unnoticed.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I was not mocking her for having a foreign name or her ethnicity, Jpop. I was drawing attention to the hilarity and irony of someone with such an obvious foreign heritage going on a violent crusade against black people and muslims that ultimately ended in this assault.

My name is Aaron. My middle name is Joseph. My last name is Irish. Yet someone named Emirjeta Xhelili feels the need to tell people like me and Muslims to "get the fuck out of America." That's funny to me, and I have no problem partaking in that amusement.
This.

Even if you think all Muslims are evil, backward terrorists, why would you target the women? In the extremist circles women are gonna be the most underpowered individuals. People like this attacker are cowards.
Yep, they'll pick on the easier targets. Of course Muslim men rarely display their faith visibly, unlike hijab-wearing women, but I bet even if they did, these cowards would pick on women more regardless.

sirap

What I'm ultimately saying is that living in society requires an effort from everyone and bigots can be bigots all they want...at their home, in private. Out in the street, they have to keep their mouth shut and hands in their pocket. The same can be said for anyone displaying anything (religious or not) that could differentiate significantly from the rest, because it will inevitably raise tensions. For how I see it, it's the only way multiculturalism could work: with a neutral ground for everyone to interact in.

A black man shouldn't be allowed into a predominantly white neighborhood, because the color of his skin makes him different from 99% of the people there? Got it.

People aren't the same. We come in all colors, shapes and sizes and subscribe to different beliefs and tastes.

I wore a fucking Mickey mouse tshirt and jeans the last time I went to Disneyworld and got called a sand nigger. That verbal attack had nothing to do with clothing. The racists who called me that did so because of my complexion and beard. Am I supposed to bleach myself and shave off all facial hair?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm sorry, but you have to be a real asshole to come into a thread about an attack on women and children and go, "you know, maybe it would be better if they weren't allowed to wear their religious/culturally identifiable clothing in public."

If that's where your head is on this, fuck off.

AxelFoley

Speaking as a non-white Canadian with a very Asian first name and a very Asian last name, I think some of you are missing the point.

I don't think posters are attacking her solely for having a very non-Anglo-American name. They are attacking her hypocrisy of being violently Islamophobic and xenophobic when she herself has a very non-Anglo-American name - from a Muslim majority country, no less!

It's like when a rabidly homophobic Republican gets caught with another guys cock up his ass. He gets mercilessly mocked, and the mockery isn't coming from a place of homophobia, but from a disdain for hypocrisy.

Exactly

Zubz

Banned
I hope the poor victims and their families are ok. And that the assailant learns a lesson moving forward. She almost certainly won't, though.

masud

Banned
What are people shocked at her hypocrisy? The quickest way for white immigrants to rank up in America is to shit on people less white than them. It's been this way since this country's inception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom