• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Virginia television journalists fatally shot in on-air attack[READ OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

UPDATE: Police think the shooting suspect headed north on I-81 and is in Staunton or Waynesboro near I-64.

Starting to get all jumbled. Before it was Police were actively in pursuit with arrest imminent. Now it seems they are guessing directions

TS-08

My general stance is that I hate reactionary legislation and solutions. Recent history shows that it is generally terrible for everyone. Items like the Patriot Act and TSA regulations at airports bring prime examples. Basically being acosted and shit on in the name of safety and protection. I can't support that even with gun regulations.

My other concern is usually they are misguided. Yes, lets target long rifles and magazine capacity even though they are by far in the minority of actual gun crimes. Less than 4-5% to be more exact. It strikes me as hollow and attention grabbing because people erroneously associate them with most crimes or high profile crimes. So by targeting those, a politician stands to gain more because people think he or she is actually doing something useful. It's just theater.

Yes, mental health is a massive issue. And Republicans are terrible on this. However, as usual, democrats don't do themselves any favors by sitting on their thumbs during mid term elections. Helping to ensure nothing is done at all.

I do think all straw purchases should be outlawed and all transactions must be accompanied with an official transfer complete with expanded background checks. Including the mental health issue, those are about my limits on reforms I'm open to and would support.

Oh and yes, the NRA sucks and is probably racist. The most effective way to limit gun ownership is probably by arming blacks more. After all, it is the inspiration for California's existing gun regulation stances. So I suppose that avenue is a good one to take for additional reforms too.

The Patriot Act/TSA examples are poor because they were immediate reactions to specific and largely unprecedented events. Shootings like this happen with frequency and Americans have been discussing and debating policy solutions for a long time. So long, in fact, that the talking points were probably bouncing back and forth in your head like a ping pong ball the second you began considering this discussion.

My general stance is that I hate reactionary legislation and solutions. Recent history shows that it is generally terrible for everyone. Items like the Patriot Act and TSA regulations at airports bring prime examples. Basically being acosted and shit on in the name of safety and protection. I can't support that even with gun regulations.

My other concern is usually they are misguided. Yes, lets target long rifles and magazine capacity even though they are by far in the minority of actual gun crimes. Less than 4-5% to be more exact. It strikes me as hollow and attention grabbing because people erroneously associate them with most crimes or high profile crimes. So by targeting those, a politician stands to gain more because people think he or she is actually doing something useful. It's just theater.

Yes, mental health is a massive issue. And Republicans are terrible on this. However, as usual, democrats don't do themselves any favors by sitting on their thumbs during mid term elections. Helping to ensure nothing is done at all.

I do think all straw purchases should be outlawed and all transactions must be accompanied with an official transfer complete with expanded background checks. Including the mental health issue, those are about my limits on reforms I'm open to and would support.

Oh and yes, the NRA sucks and is probably racist. The most effective way to limit gun ownership is probably by arming blacks more. After all, it is the inspiration for California's existing gun regulation stances. So I suppose that avenue is a good one to take for additional reforms too.

It's not reactionary at this point though. Insane mass shootings have been happening for decades in this country. It's a problem that has and will continue to repeat itself and needs to be addressed, not a one off case.

params7

Banned
Killing him will achieve nothing. Obviously people are angry and want to see him burn.

Prosecuting him and learning his motives can at least help us learn more about his fucked up psychology that leads to events like this, so maybe we could make at least some headway towards preventing it in the future.

This is sad. It's unbelievable. We as a society can't be trusted with guns it seems. Heart goes out to the loved ones. Hope they catch the guy.

People need to stop being junior detectives and let people work.

I know right.

"look at this personal comment he left on his Facebook page, he self incriminated himself, see, he sounds like a fucking murderer, burn him with fire.... i'm sure glad I took the time to read that or nobody would have known he's a killer"

cwmartin

I for one am glad we have people listening to police scanners to spread misinformation instantly to millions of people on the internet.

FFS you're part of the problem.

Terrible tragedy, I really wish something would change about this country's view of guns.

It's not reactionary at this point though. Insane mass shootings have been happening for decades in this country. It's a problem that has and will continue to repeat itself and needs to be addressed, not a one off case.

Exactly this. 10k deaths a year and 10k suicides per year is astronomically higher than any other country with sane gun laws.

When it comes to abortion or gay weddings conservatives will happily lobby for bans all over the place. Guns? "They'll just find a way to get them anyway, nothing you can do"

TraBuch

Banned
Another in the "this is my local news station" camp here. Absolutely horrifying. Condolences to their friends and family. The world's a fucked up place.

MikeDown

Banned
Killing him will achieve nothing. Obviously people are angry and want to see him burn.

Prosecuting him and learning his motives can at least help us learn more about his fucked up psychology that leads to events like this, so maybe we could make at least some headway towards preventing it in the future.
There was I time where I would have disagreed with you, but working in a mental hospital has opened my eyes.

The Lester guy, that can't be him. I have the name but I'm not putting it out.

I guess I don't understand the context of your statement but are you suggesting that you have evidence of who the shooter is and you are withholding that information from authorities?

Holy fuck. RIP to them, hope they catch the guy and throw him in prison for life. Man this put a damper on my mood. That shit is inexcusable. I feel so bad for the families.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I guess I don't understand the context of your statement but are you suggesting that you have evidence of who the shooter is and you are withholding that information from authorities?

Hes withholding it from internet authorities.

Pretty sure he would have gotten the name from news/authorities. He's just not posting the name in this thread.

Reacting to tragedies caused by flaws in society by taking rational measures makes too much sense, you're right. It's not like Australia banned guns after one massacre and they have yet to see another occur in over a decade. Oh wait...

Future

There was I time where I would have disagreed with you, but working in a mental hospital has opened my eyes.

It's really the core of humanities problem. Some people cannot empathize unless they themselves have been in the appropriate shoes. Otherwise people freely judge from a distance thinking they know all they need to know.

That's what education should be about IMO. Showing people things they aren't exposed to normally to help them empathize

loki 16

fucking unbelievable, killed on air. We need stricter gun laws or shit like this is going to keep happening.

Alur

I am from this area and people back home are devastated and absolutely shocked. The majority of the area WDBJ broadcasts to is very, very rural. They are not used to hearing about violent crime except on the national news...

I feel terrible for the victim's families and their co-workers. They were so young. Absolutely senseless.

People shouldn't name people until the police confirm it.

I remember the Boston bombings, where a few innocent people were getting named including a guy who ran away and committed suicide.

The Patriot Act/TSA examples are poor because they were immediate reactions to specific and largely unprecedented events. Shootings like this happen with frequency and Americans have been discussing and debating policy solutions for a long time. So long, in fact, that the talking points were probably bouncing back and forth in your head like a ping pong ball the second you began considering this discussion.
Nah, not really. Post took a few minutes on my phone to write. So no need for the snark.

And generally, discussions/proposed legislation like this revolve around high profile events. Not the gun violence that occurs everyday in individual crimes. So its not really much of a stretch.

The US has had terrorist events happen before, especially in the 1990s. High profile and high loss of life. Foreign and domestic. WTC was even attacked before. Although loss of life wasn't nearly as high or anything. But the motivations leading up to 9/11 were similar. And the legislation was done under the guise of protecting the people. And continues to be a massive miskate nearly 15 years later. I guess at least with the TSA I get to pay $50 for the privilege of not being acosted.

Reactionary legislation = bad.

I'm getting this from the guy who anchors at the last. I'm sure they're on it but I'm saying that I will not put it on neogaf.

Squalor

It's really the core of humanities problem. Some people cannot empathize unless they themselves have been in the appropriate shoes. Otherwise people freely judge from a distance thinking they know all they need to know.

That's what education should be about IMO. Showing people things they aren't exposed to normally to help them empathize
Actually, there are people who simply can't empathize at all. Experience doesn't matter sometimes.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Fucking awful. There is nothing to stop some asshole who doesn't care about life from getting a gun and killing anyone he can. The media coverage of such attacks and the general public reaction I think encourages this shit.

Enron

Banned

pretty sure the authorities already have that info too.

Everyone that works in tv in that area probably knows who it is, too. I spent nearly 6 years during college working in radio, the broadcasting world is a small one and everyone really does know everyone else.

Holding it in at work right now. This is such a disgusting act and all you have here are gun supporters coming at the people who want gun control but they can't take their head out their asses and blame the crazy SOBS who's going around and giving "guns" a bad rep. Fuck that, the whole entire reputation about a gun has no positives to it on its own.

These fucks only care about themselves and think leaving everything the way it is is fine. Let's blame the government for lack of mental health help when some of these same dumbass supporters hate free health care because they don't want to help pay for someone to get the help they need. Fuck all of them. Screw this whole situation. What's next? Where is the next place a shooting will happen before this is addressed? On a moving Rollercoaster... This is ridiculous

The majority of Americans support the 2nd ammendment. And I am think I read that even African americans, the one group that suffers from gun violence the most, has surged in its support. So good luck on that one.

The majority support gun control though.

gun-control-policies.jpg

PreFire

Just watched the video.. fuck.

They were just doing their jobs, minding their businesses and enjoying a conversation. Fucking sickos like this disgust me and also make me look over my shoulder even when I'm waiting to cross the street.

RIP

My condolences to their fiancées and family :(

Hope they find the killer soon (if they haven't while I type this)

Reacting to tragedies caused by flaws in society by taking rational measures makes too much sense, you're right. It's not like Australia banned guns after one massacre and they have yet to see another occur in over a decade. Oh wait...

I can tell you right know a complete banning of guns will lead to disaster here in America. The land of the free will always find a way to feel free. So expect the black market to implode and possibly more deaths in result.

America is fucked on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom