• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Virginia television journalists fatally shot in on-air attack[READ OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well, if the guy is an ex-employee at least they know exactly who he is, and can hopefully catch him quickly.

I really hope they catch him alive, and he doesn't get the quick way out.

rjinaz

If you're a responsible gun owner, vote for politicians who want common sense reforms and make sure the lawmakers who represent you know how you feel.

And if you're an NRA member, cancel your membership.

Fuck the fringe. They can go live on Cliven Bundy's ranch for all I care.

The rest of us want to live in a civilized society.

Yeah I'm a gun owner, but frak the NRA. They help stop reasonable gun control laws and help sustain this gun obsessed society

Starviper

I can't even imagine what the producer/fiance must be going through right now, that is absolutely horrible.

Yeah I'm a gun owner, but frak the NRA. They help stop reasonable gun control laws and help sustain this gun obsessed society

I feel the same way. There needs to be stricter regulations on how people obtain weapons. Not that people can't own a gun, just make things more difficult for crazy people like this to get them. I know that is easier said than done, but looking at someone's medical history should be done at the very least.

tanooki27

it is quick, and it is brutal. very thin skin between banal normality and absolute chaos.

scary. no samaritan with a concealed-carry permit could have prevented something like this.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Situation is so bad right now that anyone with a gun can enter any metro train or airport before check in and start shooting.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This is horrible.

How many more people have to die before we start to talk about our gun issues? While we bend over backwards to not "politicize" tragedies like this, people are being killed, yet when this isn't happening (which is becoming increasingly rare these days), no one wants to have a discussion about it.

I worry for people that can't just go to work, do their jobs, and get home safely because some asshole with a gun and a grudge decides to use it to vent.

My heartfelt condolences and prayers go out to the family and friends if the victims, and I hope their killer is caught.

This just makes me incredibly sad.

This is my wake up call to leave the news industry but it's further than this.

I lost 2 co-workers last year(same company) and I lose another one.

Yes, I knew Allison Parker; we worked at the same station. WCTI 12 she was there before she went to the station she was at.

This is sad snd my prayers go out to the family. Why would you take out one of your co-workers? While I don't know the whole story, Allison wouldn't hurt a fly.

RIP girl.

It really sucks.
My condolences man. Very sad.

Viewt

Ugh, this is harrowing. Knowing that the cameraman's fiance saw it happen live in the control room... That's unreal. I can't even imagine what that feels like. I don't understand how you wouldn't just break at that point. How could you come back from that?

Fury451

Banned
That video made me physically ill. Horrifying, and such heartbreak for those losses- hope the other woman pulls through and they throw the guy away for good. A truly evil monster.

KingGondo

Banned
I will never be a NRA member and i do vote and i do actively go out and try to make a difference. Shit needs to change and it needs to change now.
Good for you. Seriously.

Fenderputty said:
Those are?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...stralia-banned-lots-of-guns-after-a-massacre/

We don't even have to do anything that drastic anyways. Mandatory background checks on all firearm sales (including at gun shows and between private parties) would be a good start.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Do they have a motive yet?

VA Governor is saying the man was a disgruntled ex-employee of the New Station. Which makes it even more horrifying. Guys in the news room probably saw that frame of his face seconds after the shooting, and knew exactly who it was.

tbro777

Neo Member
Looks like they are currently in a chase with the shooter, they didn't specify if it's a car chase or foot chase but they should have him caught or killed soon

Update, they clarified it is a car chase

zeemumu

VA Governor is saying the man was a disgruntled ex-employee of the New Station. Which makes it even more horrifying. Guys in the news room probably saw that frame of his face seconds after the shooting, and knew exactly who it was.

Disgruntled employee

Former employee.

Did this reporter have any hand in firing him? Or did he just see the news crew and decide that it was easier than going after the station itself?

Squalor

Did this reporter have any hand in firing him? Or did he just see the news crew and decide that it was easier than going after the station itself?
We don't have the information yet, obviously.

We don't even have a name, not publicly.

KingGondo

Banned
Is it really necessary to respond like an asshole to someone who was responding to your original point in an appropriate manner?

Things get so hostile in threads like this because people are so adamant about making a damn point that they forget to show respect to other posters.
I wasn't being sarcastic. Sorry if I came across that way.

Wow just got an update.

We're hearing that it's a possible mental health issue.

Here's where it's fucked up, he used to work at the rival station to Alison and I. Which happens to be a sister station of the place I work now.

I can't dp this.

Is it really necessary to respond like an asshole to someone who was responding to your original point in an appropriate manner?

Things get so hostile in threads like this because people are so adamant about making a damn point that they forget to show respect to other posters.

EDIT: We good.
lol..

It's like "good for you" can be read either way, and you took it the complete wrong way.

cirrhosis

Wow just got an update.

We're hearing that it's a possible mental health issue.

Here's where it's fucked up, he used to work at the rival station to Alison and I. Which happens to be a sister station of the place I work now.

I can't dp this.

bonkers level shit.

Take a break if you need to decompress and sort this out for yourself. GAF will be here when you get back. We'll be here for you if need it later.

daveo42

Banned
Saw this on CNN this morning and thought maybe they were following a more dangerous story, but watching the video...fuck. They were covering a resort area. So senseless and brutal. No one even saw it coming.

I feel for their families and loved ones.

Fuck...at least they know the guy and will be able to find him.

Zyae

Suspect they are chasing: Lester Lee Flanighan light skinned black make 6'3" 250lbs 2009 Ford Mustang gray in color VA license plates: WZE-8846

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom