• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Virginia television journalists fatally shot in on-air attack[READ OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My general stance is that I hate reactionary legislation and solutions. Recent history shows that it is generally terrible for everyone. Items like the Patriot Act and TSA regulations at airports bring prime examples. Basically being acosted and shit on in the name of safety and protection. I can't support that even with gun regulations.

My other concern is usually they are misguided. Yes, lets target long rifles and magazine capacity even though they are by far in the minority of actual gun crimes. Less than 4-5% to be more exact. It strikes me as hollow and attention grabbing because people erroneously associate them with most crimes or high profile crimes. So by targeting those, a politician stands to gain more because people think he or she is actually doing something useful. It's just theater.

Yes, mental health is a massive issue. And Republicans are terrible on this. However, as usual, democrats don't do themselves any favors by sitting on their thumbs during mid term elections. Helping to ensure nothing is done at all.

I do think all straw purchases should be outlawed and all transactions must be accompanied with an official transfer complete with expanded background checks. Including the mental health issue, those are about my limits on reforms I'm open to and would support.

Oh and yes, the NRA sucks and is probably racist. The most effective way to limit gun ownership is probably by arming blacks more. After all, it is the inspiration for California's existing gun regulation stances. So I suppose that avenue is a good one to take for additional reforms too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...stralia-banned-lots-of-guns-after-a-massacre/

We don't even have to do anything that drastic anyways. Mandatory background checks on all firearm sales (including at gun shows and between private parties) would be a good start.

They banned semi automatic rifles and shotguns? Yeah that's never gonna happen. Nor should it.

I'm fine with further regulations, testing and closing gun show loopholes, but everyone in these threads all want unrealistic bans.

Liamario

Banned
That was absolutely terrible. Very surreal... It's like something you'd see in Robocop. These are real people and it's not a movie. As the NRA and its supporters look at this video in the comfort of their homes, like they are indeed watching a movie, maybe some of them will realise that their needs to be far greater gun control.

Gun crime in Ireland between ordinary citizens is pretty much non-existent.
While Ireland isn't the UK, this quote is very telling from 2014-

“According to VPC’s analysis.....The nationwide gun death rate was 10.38 per 100,000. The total number of Americans killed by gunfire rose to 32,351 in 2011 from 31,672 in 2010,” it found. “America’s gun death rates—both nationwide and in the states—dwarf those of most other Western industrialized nations. The gun death rate in the United Kingdom in 2011 was 0.23 per 100,000 while in Australia it was 0.86 per 100,000.”

this is beyond terrible

and the girl Adam is with in his facebook isn't alison and are pretty recent...hope the station didn't unintentionally reveal something there :(

edit: mistaken gratefully!

Zaptruder

Banned
Jesus... that is a heartbreakingly chilling video, knowing their fates before hand and watching how non-chalantly they go about their day, only to have it turn south in an instant.

Fuck.

Krejlooc

Banned
This is my wake up call to leave the news industry but it's further than this.

I lost 2 co-workers last year(same company) and I lose another one.

Yes, I knew Allison Parker; we worked at the same station. WCTI 12 she was there before she went to the station she was at.

This is sad snd my prayers go out to the family. Why would you take out one of your co-workers? While I don't know the whole story, Allison wouldn't hurt a fly.

RIP girl.

It really sucks.

My condolences

Looks like Reddit ruined another person's life the name gong around earlier isn't even the suspect at all.

You'd think at some point the people of Reddit would realize that they've never been right about this stuff, they will almost certainly never be right and they are just hurting more people than they help.

rjinaz

The Lester guy, that can't be him. I have the name but I'm not putting it out.

Interesting. I'm sure the real name will come out soon enough.

Edit: CNN just said the name going around IS NOT THE SUSPECT. Assuming that is the dude in the facebook link posted earlier. CNN already talked to him.

Badgerst3

Getting quicker updates on GAF than anywhere else.

Today's instant media feels voyaristic at times like this.

We live in rapidly evolving times. Tragic story.

You'd think at some point the people of Reddit would realize that they've never been right about this stuff, they will almost certainly never be right and they are just hurting more people than they help.

Mods need to disable commenting during events like this until the suspect is captured. Reddit has proved time and time again that they are the Mr. Magoo of detectives.

Thought it was funny..I'm sorry, boss. Minding my own..sheesh.

Dude, it's no biggie. I can be stupid sometimes.

Yup. Nothing will change. In any borderline rational society, that would have been a tipping point.

The only thing I can see tipping pro-gun opinion is an incident where someone who is armed is attacked and his weapon doing nothing to help in the situation. And even then, I'm sure there would be excuses as to why the armed victim was unable to fight back. Obviously I don't want this to happen to anyone, but it's the only thing I can see that might have a chance at swaying the current gun control temperature.

Garlador

Human psychology. People would rather "win" than admit they were wrong.

If children massacred while in school won't change the laws on the books, I don't know if anything will.

Depressingly accurate. It doesn't help when you have people that actually see that event as a conspiracy, the fact they would actually accept a fairytale instead of the truth because it doesn't fit into to their world view. Some of these complete and utter dipshits are able to spread this fairytale because they are famous without any action taken against them by their employers just exacerbates it further.

Wait, they are not chasing the right guy ? Telling the authority would be really important.

Don't even. Let the police do their job.

My god, has no one learned a damn thing since everyone started going after the wrong person following the Boston Marathon bombing?

Squalor

Huh, I wonder where that name came from then. Is it confirmed this chase is related to the shooting or is the media attempting to put 2 and 2 together?
Not the ex-reporter that they're chasing, guys. State patrol put out his name on their radio a bit ago and it's a different guy.
Womp, womp, NeoGAF.

Spreading that guy's name for nothing. Then you act as though we're better than the people who do it on Reddit. Okay.

KingGondo

Banned
They banned semi automatic rifles and shotguns? Yeah that's never gonna happen. Nor should it.

I'm fine with further regulations, testing and closing gun show loopholes, but everyone in these threads all want unrealistic bans.
The overriding point is that there are logical, realistic reforms that can be made.

Unfortunately, the typical response of many legislatures is to do nothing, or even make access to firearms easier for "law-abiding citizens."

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
What. The. Fuck. The video is as disturbing as they get. What a horrible way to go.

Really hoping they lock that sick fuck up for life.

Malvolio

I'd be stunned if he doesn't off himself before capture. This was such a cowardly act that I can't see him having the fortitude to deal with the results of his actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom