• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Worlds II |OT| QA Tested, Jerry Approved

Some video of the water physics during the night/day cycle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyyVdHcqO10

It's a pity the Moon disappears before it sets though. :lol

btw, does it ever rain in the game? I'm a sucker for some nice rainy weather in games, but I haven't seen a drop of it yet. :( Maybe that's why I liked Gothic 4, it had a good thunderstorm every 5 minutes.

nataku

Do I need to create an account through the German proxy to buy this or something, or can I just go through the US site to make an account and then use the proxy to buy it?

lastplayed said:
Some video of the water physics during the night/day cycle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyyVdHcqO10

It's a pity the Moon disappears before it sets though. :lol

btw, does it ever rain in the game? I'm a sucker for some nice rainy weather in games, but I haven't seen a drop of it yet. :( Maybe that's why I liked Gothic 4, it had a good thunderstorm every 5 minutes.
Man I loved it when it rained and stormed in The Witcher, so good, especially in the swamp.

Any other graphics tweaks besides these what ive got?

Engine.ParalaxOnTerrain 0
Engine.GrassUserDistance 10
Engine.GrassUserMultiplier 1
Engine.FarPlane 4000
Engine.MaxAnisotrophy 16
Engine.dstfarplane 9000

DennisK4 whats in your settings file?
Your screenshots look sweet

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Can the OP be updated with all the tweaks that have been found till now? please? Its kind of confusing to look around here and there.

nataku

Well, I'm getting some kind of error on the german proxy site when trying to buy it. I get to the page where it tries to redirect me to finish my payment and it never goes, so I click the link to do redirect myself and I get an error from the proxy site. I see the word "banned" in the URL so I'm guessing it's not going to let me buy it.

Guess I'll just wait until it hits the US.

keuja

nataku said:
Well, I'm getting some kind of error on the german proxy site when trying to buy it. I get to the page where it tries to redirect me to finish my payment and it never goes, so I click the link to do redirect myself and I get an error from the proxy site. I see the word "banned" in the URL so I'm guessing it's not going to let me buy it.

Guess I'll just wait until it hits the US.

use the proxy only for adding the game to your cart. Disable it after that.

syllogism

Hmm, apparently the main quest doesn't take you to that huge "main" island at all. Sounds like they were a bit overly ambitious with the content and ran out of time. The official map is definitely misleading as there's, supposedly, pretty much no content on the main island even if you go there. In fact, you pretty much can't explore the island besides a few isolated areas.

http://b.imagehost.org/0007/SCREEN_0001.jpg

This is a great looking game with excellent performance. There are issues with the gameplay, of course. And your characters hands are tiny!:lol But it is a very good game. I'm really digging these WRPG's more and more. I might get Risen too once I've finished this.

Danneee

syllogism said:
Hmm, apparently the main quest doesn't take you to that huge "main" island at all. Sounds like they were a bit overly ambitious with the content and ran out of time. The official map is definitely misleading as there's, supposedly, pretty much no content on the main island even if you go there. In fact, you pretty much can't explore the island besides a few isolated areas.

Wow, thats weird. Do not see myself paying for anything more, the game is way too unpolished for that.

ram

played the ps3 version for a bit and wow - i cant believe the ratings. its an improvement over the first game (which isnt hard) but its not a polished triple a game experiance. cutscenes are laughable bad, the animation is wonky and the controls are a bit laggy. also the story is crap (i can say that after watching the intro) and the font size is to small.

overall it feels more like a 7/10 game.

syllogism

"Triple A" game experiences are generally laughably bad. The animation criticism especially is rather odd considering the standard of animation in the genre.

UrbanRats

ram said:
played the ps3 version for a bit and wow - i cant believe the ratings. its an improvement over the first game (which isnt hard) but its not a polished triple a game experiance. cutscenes are laughable bad, the animation is wonky and the controls are a bit laggy. also the story is crap (i can say that after watching the intro) and the font size is to small.

Who gives a shit about cutscenes, in an open world rpg?

Mr_Brit

Banned
syllogism said:
I guess you are still waiting for the first open world rpg with a good story then
Elder Scrolls says Hi! I know GAF is all about lambasting game stories on one hand and praising tripe like Zelda on the other hand but some of us actually like involving game stories and rich lore. I know I don't need to defend my position as the mass market seems to agree with me.

Danneee

syllogism said:
"Triple A" game experiences are generally laughably bad. The animation criticism especially is rather odd considering the standard of animation in the genre.

I don't even want to know what you base your first statement on but ok.

And considering the time the developer spent on graphic fidelity I think it is kind of strange that the animations isn't very good. What the "standard of animation in the genre" is shouldn't matter if you want to do something better than the competition.

I feel that I maybe could have put my £30 to better use, not that the game is bad but large unexplorable areas and a lot of graphic glitches does not make me too comfortable with my purchase.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mr_Brit said:
Elder Scrolls says Hi! I know GAF is all about lambasting game stories on one hand and praising tripe like Zelda on the other hand but some of us actually like involving game stories and rich lore. I know I don't need to defend my position as the mass market seems to agree with me.

:lol

Mr_Brit said:

The Nerevarine agrees.

Mr_Brit said:

ROFL! :lol

ram

syllogism said:

since its a third person view, you will see all the talking and stuff - and this is were it looks really odd and unrealistic (and has stuttering and pop ups). even fallout new vegas makes such things better - and i think its a mediocre rpg with a lame story - at least its execution.

and yes, i give much for a good story in an open world rpg, because without it, the game starts to become boring very fast for me. like reading a mediocre book till the last page.

overall - you will have enough fun for your money, but with these glowing reviews, i thought it would be a better game.

and you shouldnt give to much into reviews from german magazines - because like all of them are written from job trainees. :lol

ram said:

Give it a bit more time. It gets much better after the prologue. It's up there with the best in the genre imo (i will have to wait and complete it first to be 100% sure about that tho). Consider that Bethesda RPG's also have trouble with animations, voice over etc. Bioware RPG's are more polished but they are not open world which means they can throw more ressources towards polish.

UrbanRats

Mr_Brit said:
Stop talking for eveyone, I'm one of those people that care about stories in an open world RPG.
English is clearly not my mother language but, how is: "who gives a shit?" --> "talking for everyone"?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
That's terrible about the middle island. From what I have played so far, this game is beautiful in a gameplay and graphical sense. Had another 5+ hour session on stream tonight and the time flew by, everyone watching having nothing but good things to say about the game. 14 hours in and I am at the end of chapter 1. There are like 8 or so quest left to do but i was kinda powering through the main questline for the stream towards the end and I STILL couldn't get through to the end :lol

Vlodril

Had the same feelings with this that i had with Risen. Great graphics, fantastic lighting, open world to explore, mediocre story and lousy controls. Too bad. But people seemed to love Risen so to each their own i guess :D

Dennis

Banned
The game is divided into five single-player chapters, plus prologue and epilogue.

I have clocked 10 hours and am not even halfway through Chapter 1.

I can't say for certain that it isn't possible to speedrun through in 20 hours if you explore nothing, do no sidequests and only do main story line quests.

OK then, 20 hour game.....but who the FUCK buys an open-world exploration-RPG to just speedrun through without exploring and questing?

After the lush forests of the first island comes the dry Savannah and then comes SPOILER!

jungle, swamp and medieval sections

Dennis

Banned
This is fucking Risen all over again. An absolute gem few people bought that got mediocre reviews and with people not buying because they saw, or heard about, some little bit about the game they didn't like.

Can't wait for the 60-70% review scores from people who would nut themeselves if this was called Elder Scrolls V, "OMG - 98%!!"

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
DennisK4 said:
This is fucking Risen all over again. An absolute gem few people bought that got mediocre reviews and with people not buying because they saw, or heard about, some little bit about the game they didn't like.

Can't wait for the 60-70% review scores from people who would nut themeselves if this was called Elder Scrolls V, "OMG - 98%!!"

When somebody offers up lameass criticisms like "the animation is a bit wonky" and "the font size is too small" you have somebody who either A) is looking for reasons to dislike something or B) desperately wishes they were a reviewer and treats game criticism like the fine people at IGN. Don't worry. Not everybody is going to like the game, but I doubt even the professional reviewers can find much to hate about this. There hasn't been a better open world RPG in years.

Sorry, Risen's combat was broke. As in, barely worked. Pretty game and everything, but IMO the review scores for that were justified.

Danneee

DennisK4 said:

Probably, I'll hang in there a little while still. Just discovered the joy of going on a safari hunt with magic. Good times killing rhinos with fireballs :lol

edit: and I love it when people who like a game can't handle other people criticizing it and feel the need to put those people down.

Dennis

Banned
Look, lets be honest. The game is a generic fantasy game and its not going to win any awards for story or Pixar-grade animation.

What makes this game great are the open-world gorgeous enviroments and that it is difficult at least initially to force you to do RPG-like stuff like Alchemy, Crafting and Leveling up, just to survive.

When you gain a level you are happy!

Explore and enjoy the sights. Take your time. Do all the sidequests. And the game is quite challenging, at least on Hard. I have died lots of time.

Yeah, I mad. Euro-RPGs always get unfairly treated.

Randy

From twoworldsvault.ign:

There's 27 spell cards total. Amulet works like a castable spell slot (the more amulets you get, the more spells you can cast). There's 15 effect cards (which define the effect and school of the spell). 6 carrier cards (AOE, ray, missile etc.) and 6 modifiers (e.g. homing, multiplicating, ricocheting etc..). While this system allows for around 500 unique spells, you can also increase them in power (by placing up to 10 cards total into the amulet), and a single amulet can hold up to THREE different unique spells at once (to be cast as one, or have an up to three-stage effect) - which is the reason for millions of possible combinations.

And some example vids: http://twoworldsvault.ign.com/fullstory.php?id=58969

*Respeccing to mage.*

Hey guys I'm playing Risen currrently, is this basically a way better version on that style of game?

Cause Risen seems ok so far, just started, but I would really like a better playing, better combat game of this style.

WanderingWind

DualShadow said:
Hey guys I'm playing Risen currrently, is this basically a way better version on that style of game?

Cause Risen seems ok so far, just started, but I would really like a better playing, better combat game of this style.

Yes.

Mr_Brit said:

You make some of the funniest posts at times. :lol :lol

Keep dishing out the entertainment.

ram said:

So basically, its an Eastern European PC game?

WanderingWind

Why are we even giving any credence to that guy? "The story is crap (I can say that after watching the intro)" Get the hell out of here. :lol

Corto

ram said:

Wow... Where can I get the PS3 version? Is it out already or is it a review copy?

Dennis

Banned
ram said:

So after having seen the intro cutscene and pushing you Dualshock around some, you are comfortable in giving the game a 7/10 score.

Seems fair.

bloke

lastplayed said:
Yeah one of the game issues there's not much variety in weather, it's like always sunny, definately needs more gloomier weather here and there. Risen and Arcania definately did better job there.

syllogism said:

Fail if true, maybe that main island will be one big fucking DLC/addon :lol

TheVampire said:
Any other graphics tweaks besides these what ive got?

Engine.ParalaxOnTerrain 0
Engine.GrassUserDistance 10
Engine.GrassUserMultiplier 1
Engine.FarPlane 4000
Engine.MaxAnisotrophy 16
Engine.dstfarplane 9000

DennisK4 whats in your settings file?
Your screenshots look sweet
Since I started using these, the game has been shutting down on me every other 10 minutes or so. Anybody else?

Top Bottom