• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Worlds II |OT| QA Tested, Jerry Approved

Dennis

Banned
bloke said:
Yeah one of the game issues there's not much variety in weather, it's like always sunny, definately needs more gloomier weather here and there. Risen and Arcania definately did better job there.
The lighting in Risen can still blow me away. And yeah, the lighting in TWII could be better.

If there was an option to cut off 10-15 fps for better lighting I would take it :lol

syllogism

That was already discussed earlier, but regardless the sad thing is if the island had simply not been in the game, there would have been no issue

Mr_Brit

Banned
The guys on that board are saying that this cuts the in game content down severly and makes the game more of a 30 hour game. TBH it would have been better if they'd delayed the game to Early 2011 as it's clear it still has some technical issues(at least on the PC side). With a bit more polish it could go from high 80s to mid 90s. Who knows, a delay may even mean that they'd be able to fit the whole of the main island in.

Dennis

Banned
syllogism said:
That was already discussed earlier, but regardless the sad thing is if the island had simply not been in the game, there would have been no issue
Exactly. Who gives a fuck if the map is accurate or not? The game is still more than 20 hours and most likel at least twice that for most people.

Some shit always fucks it up for Euro-RPGs :mad:

Now this is all people are going to talk about, just like everyone thought Crysis was basically unplayably demanding.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So let me get this straight (ive been up all night).. somebody used cheats to get to a place on the map that wasnt supposed to be reachable and its not populated so people are complaining?

syllogism

Mr_Brit said:
The guys on that board are saying that this cuts the in game content down severly and makes the game more of a 30 hour game. TBH it would have been better if they'd delayed the game to Early 2011 as it's clear it still has some technical issues(at least on the PC side). With a bit more polish it could go from high 80s to mid 90s. Who knows, a delay may even mean that they'd be able to fit the whole of the main island in.
There are no technical issues, unless you count the interface, which is an issue in pretty much every modern game

Mr_Brit

Banned
water_wendi said:
So let me get this straight (ive been up all night).. somebody used cheats to get to a place on the map that wasnt supposed to be reachable and its not populated so people are complaining?
A lot of people also think that they'll release it later on as DLC. It is a fair comment as the devs did say it was a go anywhere, do anything game and not having the main landmass accessible isn't exactly following that spirit.

water_wendi said:

No, the biggest landmass which has been shown on the map in PR and is shown ingame is EMPTY. Nothing is there. Seems like they ran out of time.

Game is still small-medium sized depending on who you ask though.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Mr_Brit said:
A lot of people also think that they'll release it later on as DLC. It is a fair comment as the devs did say it was a go anywhere, do anything game and not having the main landmass accessible isn't exactly following that spirit.
:lol Oh come on. Just because a game its open world doesnt mean that there arent places you cant go.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
jakershaker said:
No, the biggest landmass which has been shown on the map in PR and is shown ingame is EMPTY. Nothing is there. Seems like they ran out of time.

im not seeing the problem unless you are just playing the game and content just stops midway through the game. Like if you got a quest to go to a new area and it wasnt populated or something.

Mr_Brit

Banned
water_wendi said:
:lol Oh come on. Just because a game its open world doesnt mean that there arent places you cant go.
I'm not disputing that this isn't a great game(it's great), I'm just saying that these customers do have valid concerns.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Mr_Brit said:
I'm not disputing that this isn't a great game(it's great), I'm just saying that these customers do have valid concerns.
Fallout 1/2/Tactics had a gigantic world map with almost nothing on it. About 10-15 locations per game.

water_wendi said:
im not seeing the problem unless you are just playing the game and content just stops midway through the game. Like if you got a quest to go to a new area and it wasnt populated or something.

Of course the game can be just as good etc anyway but when you have an open world rpg and you show a map, usually people expect to be able to explore that map. Perhaps not 100% as there are natural barriers and so on but at least more then what they've done here. They should have redesigned the map before release. Not seeing how this could be anything but a pr blunder and lack of time for the devs.

Mr_Brit

Banned
water_wendi said:
Fallout 1/2/Tactics had a gigantic world map with almost nothing on it. About 10-15 locations per game.
People have much higher expectations from games these days, especially 3D open world RPGs.

syllogism

Mr_Brit said:
People have much higher expectations from games these days, especially 3D open world RPGs.
The game seems larger than Oblivion though, the only issue is that the island exists in the game at all and was used for marketing.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Mr_Brit said:
:lol Okay.

If the game isnt designed around going to those places that have nothing i dont see the problem.

Corto

Mr_Brit said:

The most prominent dev of the genre, Bethesda, just crushes those expectations every game they release, in terms of technical problems with their software. So maybe the costumers can endure some technical problems and content inconsistencies if the game/story/world are worth it.

jakershaker said:

What the FUCK. That huge island is empty? I couldn't have waited one more fucking day to buy it. God damn it.

Lebron

Thought the first game was absolute hobbit balls, but this seems to be a lot better. Game really does look great.

Lebron

water_wendi said:
What else is better about it other than the graphics?
Well, I'm not banging my head in frustration like I was with the first. The controls feel better(control lag seems to be not as bad) and the story is more interesting I think.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Lebron said:
Well, I'm not banging my head in frustration like I was with the first. The controls feel better and the story is more interesting I think.
Thanks! i picked up little bits of people going crazy over the game earlier. i attributed most of it to "shiny new" goggles and havent been in the thread since then. Control and story upgrades are definitely something i can get on board with.

water_wendi said:
What else is better about it other than the graphics?

Never played the first one, but enjoying this game right now.

My main problem right now is that I abandoned my Horse somewhere, and I can't do the Rustler's Run quest. The Horse controls should have been better.

I find the game world to be nicely immersive.

I mean, I am having fun playing it. Levelling up is rewarding, the crafting upgrades works nicely, good variety of weapons to use.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
dak1dsk1 said:
As far as I understand, people are complaining that the locations in the map you link to, aren't in the final game?
From what i gather those places are in the final game but there isnt access to everywhere on the island. i think its places like the area to the far west where there are no map markers. i could be wrong since i havent bought the game yet but thats what i can tell.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
cartoon_soldier said:
Never played the first one, but enjoying this game right now.

My main problem right now is that I abandoned my Horse somewhere, and I can't do the Rustler's Run quest. The Horse controls should have been better.

I find the game world to be nicely immersive.

I mean, I am having fun playing it. Levelling up is rewarding, the crafting upgrades works nicely, good variety of weapons to use.

Press H. I think he can come up to you then.

wwm0nkey

Am I the only one not freaking out at the island being too small? I still think im getting my moneys worth and most likely will be put back in as DLC. I mean the game is 3.6 gigs no one could have been expecting that entire island to be explorable.

Minsc

Gold Member
wwm0nkey said:
Am I the only one not freaking out at the island being too small? I still think im getting my moneys worth and most likely will be put back in as DLC. I mean the game is 3.6 gigs no one could have been expecting that entire island to be explorable.

Risen is only 2.1 gigs, doesn't have to be 10+ gigs to be a large game.

Edit: Didn't mean to make it sound like you were complaining, sorry, just read this post from a link above, and felt like pointing out Risen's size, since it amazes me it is so little compared to like the 15GB+ size of Dragon Age.

Clevinger

I got it yesterday and don't quite get the praise. I don't know, maybe it's just not my thing. It's just really bland so far. The combat, the quests, the story etc. It looks nice (in terms of graphics, but the art direction is still bland as hell), though I'm not sure why people have praised other aspects. It's a big step up from the first game, but pretty much anything would be. Like, the developer smearing shit on blank DVDs would be a step up from the first game.

A plus, though, is that the performance is nice. Rock solid framerate and no crashes or anything yet. I'm going try to keep pushing through and see if my opinion changes.

wwm0nkey

Minsc said:
Risen is only 2.1 gigs, doesn't have to be 10+ gigs to be a large game.

Edit: Didn't mean to make it sound like you were complaining, sorry, just read this post from a link above, and felt like pointing out Risen's size, since it amazes me it is so little compared to like the 15GB+ size of Dragon Age.
Yeah some games really do take up a lot of space but I just dont get how RISEN and Tw2 got away with getting such a big and good looking game out on such small space, I mean hell they could put it on a 360 disc twice if they wanted too :lol

Dennis

Banned
The guy who said he finished the game in 20 hours also claimed he ended at level 41. How the hell is that possible. I am at level 9 at 10 hours.

Dennis

Banned
PC game: 20-50+ hours "OMG its a scam!"

Console game: 5 hours "OK, thats fair"

Also, you guys are mean to Jerry. I put him in the enclosure where I got him and close the gate. When I return he is still there.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
piratepwnsninja said:
That stuff is there, just not in the single player. The co-op is its own separate story and uses this space.
Oooh thats kinda cool that there is a side-campaign thats co-op only.

DennisK4 said:
PC game: 20-50+ hours "OMG its a scam!"

Console game: 5 hours "OK, thats fair"
True :lol im not even concerned with length of most games. If i ever get a game made im going to have a mode that double the amount of playtime by halving the walking speed of the character :lol

Also, you guys are mean to Jerry. I put him in the enclosure where I got him and close the gate. When I return he is still there.
Is the horses name in-game Jerry? :lol

Lebron

Took me about 6 "game overs" after getting two hit killed by these high level groms to realize I could use the teleport stone to get the fuck out of that area. It's been a long week...

Top Bottom