• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Worlds II |OT| QA Tested, Jerry Approved

nataku said:
So no way to force AF without losing paralax mapping?

I'm not sure I'm liking the savannah area so far. The forest island was beautiful, but the savannah looks kind of ugly so far. Especially the grass... it just doesn't look right with the HDR shimmering when it moves.

Looks alot better when you get past the gate, i like the look of the run down quasi-jerusalem. That's when the game really starts to open up as well.

i also think the shimmering is caused mostly by low precision AO.

Mr_Brit

Banned
lastplayed said:
Was TW1 a fully open world like Oblivion? It's been so long I can't remember. :lol
That's because you forced yourself to forget that nightmare. I literally can't believe that the same people made these two games, was everyone from the first game fired and replaced with someone competent?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This game actually doesn't have the same open ended feel as the the Bethesda or Pirahana Bytes games, really. It feels like it's a big world map for you to explore but the there is very much a deliberate purpose for all of the locations. It is quite well designed , I think. Exploring sometimes leads you to caves and what not but there are a lot of locked dungeons that I find out later on will be opened up for quest. The game does a wonderful job of leading you into content and transitioning you to new questlines or branches off of the main questline.

Mr_Brit said:
That's because you forced yourself to forget that nightmare. I literally can't believe that the same people made these two games, was everyone from the first game fired and replaced with someone competent?

I think you're overstating how bad the first game was and how good the second game is. If anything it's unbelievable that the people who gave us what was a completely free open-world game with a great UI has taken such a huge step backward with this one.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
cartoon_soldier said:
How can you add damage crystals to your weapons?

You have to upgrade them first. One or two upgrades should open up the crystal slot then just fit it in.

AppleMIX

I don't know, I can't say I'm very impressed with this game.

The wrirting and voice acting is straight up mediocre. Which I usually don't mind but this is a RPG.

Still leaps and bounds better than the first.

keuja

I love the magic system, just created an AoE spell that rains anvils around me then used another to make a tornado shield with the anvils lol

Unicorn

Once they release the mod tools I can't wait to see what the community puts out... after all the nude mods are out of the way, of course.

Randy

Kinda spooky, yet so atmospheric. I murdered out the fishingvillage, music stops playing and I only hear the slow footsteps of my horse on the sand, wandering between corpses towards the see to eventually stand on a rock and look at the ocean. <3

120tb0y.jpg

Oh why the hell did I click on this thread?! I've got so many games to play as it is, and now here's another to add to the list.

zlatko

Banned
So I'm a bit torn between this and getting Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition. I completely missed out on DA, and these both seem to have the kind of RPG I want to invest a hundred hours into, but not sure which I should go for.

_tetsuo_ said:
Solid writing.

Solid writing but I'd say poor voice acting for the most part. Some is just average while some is just god-awful. Some of the guards in the Savannah are absolutely hilarious to me! Other than that though, I don't have many complaints about the game. It's such a huge improvement over the first game that all you can do is give them praise and congratulations.

The last enemy in the pain dome is really kicking my butt. Hardest enmy i've encountered in the game yet.

zlatko said:
So I'm a bit torn between this and getting Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition. I completely missed out on DA, and these both seem to have the kind of RPG I want to invest a hundred hours into, but not sure which I should go for.

Get Dragon Age first. It's an excellent RPG and you will get 100 hours out of it for sure. There is still a big questionmark behind the game lenght for Two Worlds 2, possible balancing issues later in the game etc.

TW2 gives me great impressions so far but it still has to proof itself in the long term.

fizzelopeguss said:
How do you combine gems, i heard an orc say you can make bigger ones....but i wasn't paying attention. >.>

Collect multiple of the exact same type, learn the melt skill. Then you can just select to melt them when you hover over the stack in your inventory.

Ceebs

zlatko said:
They are completely different games to be honest. Dragon Age has a ton of issues that will drive you mad if you plan to spend 100 hours with it. The most notable being the combat ends up being rather broken and mindless in what is supposed to be a combat and tactics driven RPG. The whole thing falling into the same Bioware game progression flowchart as everything they have made since KOTOR does not help either. I am about 14 hours into TW2 and it has several faults starting to show as well.

My suggest is if you have a capable PC pick up Risen.

Which has better writing: Dragon Age or Two World II?
I am on the edge about getting Two World II. I have a lot of games in my backlog, but winter break is approaching and all of my friends will be in different states! And, a month and a half long break.

Ceebs

Lebron said:
Dragon Age.

TWII is still decent though(better than first for sure). The subpar VA is what kills it.
This is not really saying much however. Outside of a few characters, Dragon Age's writing is almost entirely your standard fantasy tropes repackaged wholesale.

It's not a bad game, but it's nowhere near the shining beacon of WRPGs you see it held up as.

Lebron

Ceebs said:
This is not really saying much however. Outside of a few characters, Dragon Age's writing is almost entirely your standard fantasy tropes repackaged wholesale.

It's not a bad game, but it's nowhere near the shining beacon of WRPGs you see it held up as.

Never said it was, but it's definitely better than TWII's. Was just answering his question.

Attackthebase said:
Bad voice-acting has never been too big of issue for me.
Cool, then you shouldn't have a problem. You really wouldn't go wrong playing either, both are a must play.

timkunedo

The voice acting is really good imo, especially considering how bad it was in the first one. I've yet to hear a foresooth or a methinks.

LOVE the dice minigames in the first town you get to. I'm kind of getting a witcher vibe from this game right now. my GOTY so far.

Attackthebase said:
Which has better writing: Dragon Age or Two World II?
I am on the edge about getting Two World II. I have a lot of games in my backlog, but winter break is approaching and all of my friends will be in different states! And, a month and a half long break.

DA has more interesting characters and conversations. The dialogue in TW2 is a little stiff.

Lebron

Attackthebase said:
Well, when it comes out in NA, I will buy it on Steam. I will never be free of my backlog. :'-(
The joys of good 100+ hour RPGs :)

Also, I know people have mentioned it already, but it really is impressive how much Reality Pump was able to improve from TW to TWII. I hope this game gets the attention it deserves.

I think people should start posting their settings when they post an SS. It would help as I haven't tweaked PC settings in a long time and not even sure what half of the stuff does.

It would be appreciated!

I am just using the ones posted earlier personally in a settings.txt file I just use the @settings.txt command

Engine.ParalaxOnTerrain 0
Engine.GrassUserDistance 10
Engine.GrassUserMultiplier 1
Engine.FarPlane 4000
Engine.MaxAnisotrophy 16
Engine.dstfarplane 9000

lastplayed said:
DA has more interesting characters and conversations. The dialogue in TW2 is a little stiff.

There were some great parts for sure (haven't finished it yet) but what really killed it for me was "ENCHANTMENT?!"

EDIT: I'm stuck in a real slow walk, is there a hotkey that toggles this?

Ceebs

flyinpiranha said:
OMG, you're a lifesaver, I was getting so annoyed. It would have become a 400+ hour game :lol ... for all the wrong reasons!
Haha. I only know this because I was running it through Steam earlier to talk to someone and it would toggle to walk every time I brought up the overlay.

nataku

flyinpiranha said:
I think people should start posting their settings when they post an SS. It would help as I haven't tweaked PC settings in a long time and not even sure what half of the stuff does.

It would be appreciated!

I am just using the ones posted earlier personally in a settings.txt file I just use the @settings.txt command

Engine.ParalaxOnTerrain 0
Engine.GrassUserDistance 10
Engine.GrassUserMultiplier 1
Engine.FarPlane 4000
Engine.MaxAnisotrophy 16

Hmm. Is Engine.MaxAnisotrophy 16 not equal to 16x AF? I can see it working in game, but it definitely doesn't have the appearance of 16x AF. I have ParalaxyOnTerrain set properly and all the other settings take effect.

zlatko

Banned
Thanks for the responses to those who commented. What was the cause of the delay for the USA release again? Any chance the game will be tweaked a great deal till USA gets it or just a few bug fixes?

Mr_Brit

Banned
zlatko said:
Thanks for the responses to those who commented. What was the cause of the delay for the USA release again? Any chance the game will be tweaked a great deal till USA gets it or just a few bug fixes?
Main Island is Gamestop pre order exclusive.

Danneee

zlatko said:

DA is a much better game overall. That said, I'm having a LOT more fun playing this than I ever had playing DA.

Danneee said:
DA is a much better game overall. That said, I'm having a LOT more fun playing this than I ever had playing DA.
True for me as well. Just like how Mass Effect 2 is a "better" game but I had more rpg fun in ME1. :lol

Top Bottom