• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Worlds II |OT| QA Tested, Jerry Approved

ram

BitchTits said:
o_O

This doesn't gel with the positive impressions of the game so far.

Did you play the first game, it was horrible on the 360, but everything so far has pointed to the sequel being better. I assume those were PC impressions though.

bolded the truth

the game is enjoyable on ps3, but also a heavy mess. the framerate drops down to 5fps in cities and the overall performance is poor (shit streaming). the story is horrible (i am on chapter 3 (and i dont have a fucking clou about), i didnt play the first game. cutscenes are horrible, but i like the writing and speach in the german version.

subversus said:
always welcome
Yeah but taste doesnt explain everything. The game is objectively not a putrid mess on all levels on 360 for example.
Also, expressions what?

ram said:
the story is horrible (i am on chapter 3 (and i dont have a fucking clou about), i didnt play the first game. cutscenes are horrible
Yeah pretty much.
but what's a clou??

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Fistwell said:
Yeah but taste doesnt explain everything. The game is objectively not a putrid mess on all levels on 360 for example.
Also, expressions what?

you know I think there's no such thing as "objectively-something" if we talk about entertainment. The player could fail at understanding core mechanics and the game IS A PUTRID PILE OF SHIT for him.

poisonelf

I finished the game about a week ago. These are my general RPG preferences so you get a sense of where you stand regarding my tastes and view of Two Worlds 2 (excluding really oldies): Loved Dragon Age, Risen, Gothic 1, liked Gothic 2, disliked Gothic 4, hated Oblivion.

So, regarding Two Worlds 2:

+ Diverse environments. Not a single western Europe forest, but forests, savannas, jungles, swamps, rockies etc.
+ No monster leveling. There are areas early game that you must avoid or you'll get one-shot killed, and when you over level-up you can return to these same areas and destroy every moving thing. They won't have gained power just to spite you.
+Beautiful graphics, excluding animation and most characters. Nice textures and lighting.
+ Imaginative and beautiful magic system.
+Great summons.
+ Nice quests, general sense of a thought out society. Nothing original in the cultures, but it seemed generally alive.
+ Lots of quests, nice main story, long game unless you are going for endless exploration, at ~20-25 hours.

- This kind of animation, while normal for a euro-rpg, is starting to become annoying when compared to what is possible today.
- Awful character designs for most NPCs, blocky hands and faces.
- Meaningless exploration, especially after a point. While the world is beautiful all the important areas or dungeons are locked unless you've received the appropriate quest. Almost nothing to discover or gain if moving through the game without being sent via a quest.
- Broken balance, at least with a fighter, on Normal. After chapter 2 or so (having done all quests of chapter 1 and having upgrades armor, weapons etc), there was literally no challenge. I would receive minimal amounts of damage while killing everything with a couple of blows.
- Lying developers/publishers. This is important to me, and has nothing to do with the main island thing. I never got the big island complaining, so there is an empty island on the map, so fucking what? As long as the game lasts as long as they said.
But the thing is, it doesn't. They claim 20-25 hours for main quest and 100+ (or 150+ ?) if exploring and completing side quests. It was 22 hours for me with countless of side quests completed. It's still good for me, I get bored of never ending games, but why the fuck blatantly lie ?
- Infuriating inventory system.
- An RPG with no total statistics. You have endurance, strength etch, but no overall armor, resistances, only a damage per hit statistic and percentages that mostly make no sense regarding each piece of armor or piece of magical jewelry.
- Bugs, though nothing game-breaking, and having to hack your way to options that should be available, such as AF.

I still cannot decide about the combat. It certainly wasn't great, but some of the special moves options were nice. You can knock down, attack multiple enemies etc, but block and dodge are hardly necessary while there is no locking on specific enemies and you just slash away.
The greatest, by far actually, combat ever for me still remains that of Severance: Blade of Darkness. Just had to say this.

Overall, while the negatives seem to add up now that I look at it, it's a good game, certainly worth buying for anyone who enjoyed euro-RPGs.

GavinGT

Banned
I only played about 2 hours of the 360 version, but the game felt clunky and unremarkable. The combat wasn't engaging and the visuals were seriously lacking in polish. What I saw did not compel me to continue.

poisonelf said:
- Lying developers/publishers. This is important to me, and has nothing to do with the main island thing. I never got the big island complaining, so there is an empty island on the map, so fucking what?

Well it ties directly into some of your other complaints. A lot of people, myself included, saw the world map and assumed the game would actually be that size, that there would be a lot of land to explore with a lot of things to find that would contribute to that 100+ hour figure.

Tr4nce

Really looking forward to playing this game, and submersing myself into a new RPG finally. Can't wait. Anyway: is it possible to play in first person as well, or only third person?

Edit: never mind. No 1st person camera it seems.

timkunedo

I made it to New Ashos over the weekend and wow....what a beautiful city! I love the new environment around the city because i was getting bored with the desert look and feel.

poisonelf

szaromir said:
Sales-age - TW2 hits 1M units sold before US and UK release
http://www.gry-online.pl/S013.asp?ID=55598

It's not said if it's shipped or sold through (I assume it's shipped). Still, the publisher is happy with sales.
So, yet another single player (mostly) euro-RPG, with 000.1% of the marketing budgets of behemoths like EA or Activision, and I guess with 1/100 of the production costs of some games, makes it to a 1M.
And this time without the US or UK release.

Unbelievable, according to everything we are being told by publishers. Great fucking news.

So perhaps it's not so much that single player games, PC gaming, and gritty RPGs are dead, but perhaps it's about DEVELOPING GOOD GAMES.
But hey, go ahead and try to produce a fast-developed, all target groups inclusive, politically correct, console-y/action RPG and the whine about piracy. Assholes.

I can't help but think what The Witcher or Two Worlds 2 would sell globally with, for example, Halo level marketing, if it can reach 1 million with almost zero marketing and being mostly a PC game.

Dennis

Banned
poisonelf said:
So, yet another single player (mostly) euro-RPG, with 000.1% of the marketing budgets of behemoths like EA or Activision, and I guess with 1/100 of the production costs of some games, makes it to a 1M.
And this time without the US or UK release.

Unbelievable, according to everything we are being told by publishers. Great fucking news.

So perhaps it's not so much that single player games, PC gaming, and gritty RPGs are dead, but perhaps it's about DEVELOPING GOOD GAMES.
But hey, go ahead and try to produce a fast-developed, all target groups inclusive, politically correct, console-y/action RPG and the whine about piracy. Assholes.

I can't help but think what The Witcher or Two Worlds 2 would sell globally with, for example, Halo level marketing, if it can reach 1 million with almost zero marketing and being mostly a PC game.
Hello there. I don't know you poisonelf but welcome to RPG-NeoGAF. The club for discerning gentlemen and lady gamers.

poisonelf

DennisK4 said:
Hello there. I don't know you poisonelf but welcome to RPG-NeoGAF. The club for discerning gentlemen and lady gamers.
Why thank you, let me pocket my monocle and light my cigar, proud to be a member :D

Really though, after following Dragon Age 2's development this made my day.

Corto

shuri said:
is the ps3 version region free?

I'm sure it is. I can't remember a PS3 BD game that was region locked. Multiplayer though can have region specific servers like Demon's Souls.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Go gamer a legit site? And i'm a massive stupid fan of Morrowind and Oblivion, will I enjoy this? Never played the first one.

I'm itching for a game like this, though..

Quickie: Sitting on a 965 black, 4 ddr3 gigs and an HD 5700. What sort of performance should I hope for?

rObit

Banned
EvaPlusMinus said:
Go gamer a legit site? And i'm a massive stupid fan of Morrowind and Oblivion, will I enjoy this? Never played the first one.

Quickie: Sitting on a 965 black, 4 ddr3 gigs and an HD 5700. What sort of performance should I hope for?

Yeah gogamer is legit. I bought a game from them awhile back, something was messed up with their item tracking but when I called and asked about it they fixed it immediately and when the game got here they had packed in one of their sale games for free because of the error. Seems like they're still getting stuff figured out, but great service in my case.

Ceebs

EvaPlusMinus said:

It will run great. on that setup btw.

Guys seem to be having a good time with this one. Im glad :)

Are there any improvements expected for the January 1st release?

What could this people acomplish with a good budget? ... i wonder.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Meaningless exploration, especially after a point. While the world is beautiful all the important areas or dungeons are locked unless you've received the appropriate quest. Almost nothing to discover or gain if moving through the game without being sent via a quest.

:(

putarorex

I bought the 360 version of this at an import shop in Akihabara. Despite the clunky animations, mispelled English, and cruddy voice acting, I am really liking it. I have played it about six hours total so far. Based on the map, the game seems pretty big.

The problem is that I have hit a game-ruining bug. There is a zone that causes my xbox to freeze up whenever it loads. I wouldn't mind that so much (it was just a shopping area in a big village), but I need to get back to that zone to progress the main story. The game's official forums show that others are facing the same problem.

I suppose I can keep leveling my guy by killing baboons and rhinos until they patch the game. :lol

Dennis

Banned
This is what I found with the DX10 .exe.

With this you get an ingame 4xAA option but the most important thing by far is that Parallax Occlusion Mapping is now compatible with Anisotropic filtering.

Looks great with 16xAF and POM on.

Supposedly a DX11 patch will emerge some time.

Man

This game is good looking on the PS3 system. Quite better looking than those other open-end rpgs of fame. Will be interesting to see how ES5 compares next year.

Alucrid

Banned
Relix said:
Bizarro world indeed

To be fair, for all its faults, I liked the first game. I have yet to play this one, though from gaffers reactions it sounds far better. But yes, bizarro world indeed.

This game, even though the dude runs like a weird rubbery thing, it's such an improvement over the first that I just have to love it...I need to play more when I return home.

Hammer24

Banned
The FUCK with this Minstrel Hero achievement.
I´m using the drums (just two buttons to press, the guitar is a fullblown nightmare in comparison), and I´m hardpressed to even get 2/3 of the notes right.
Any tips or tricks?

Horns

Alucrid said:
To be fair, for all its faults, I liked the first game. I have yet to play this one, though from gaffers reactions it sounds far better. But yes, bizarro world indeed.

I enjoyed TW1 as well. I got it the first day and was so let down, but I wasn't going to waste $60 so I pushed through it. It kind of grew on me, especially after turning all the NPC voices off.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Hammer24 said:
The FUCK with this Minstrel Hero achievement.
I´m using the drums (just two buttons to press, the guitar is a fullblown nightmare in comparison), and I´m hardpressed to even get 2/3 of the notes right.
Any tips or tricks?

What????

Man

Prime crotch said:
Saw this game out on retail stores here for the ps3, no idea what language is it in though.
It has the five main European languages including English (and you choose them individually for spoken and subtitles).

Top Bottom