• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
Guys what if the anti-abortion advocates advocated for better sex education? One would assume that an abortion is the result of poor planning / education before having sex. Maybe the best way to make sure that unborn babies aren't killed is to make sure they never existed in the first place.

Of course, most of the anti-abortion sentiment comes from religious conservatives who think it's immoral to wear a condom or teach others about them.

Condom usage and birth control? Haha. Okay.

Regardless of how this turns out, it's a giant black eye on the republican party nationally. Good luck ever winning the female vote in a national election.

boiled goose

good with gravy
In this case: yes. In all other cases: no.

Might as well call me JayDubya on the point of abortion. It is senseless.

Care to justify your position?

Guys what if the anti-abortion advocates advocated for better sex education? One would assume that an abortion is the result of poor planning / education before having sex. Maybe the best way to make sure that unborn babies aren't killed is to make sure they never existed in the first place.

Of course, most of the anti-abortion sentiment comes from religious conservatives who think it's immoral to wear a condom or teach others about them.

Better education (regarding pretty much any topic) is always a good thing.
Regarding reproductive rights: accidents happen, even when birth control is used. Even in the case of an accident, I consider it extremely immoral to force a woman to carry a child to term.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
The internet is so amazing. We get to watch what happens all over the world and even in Texas when 15-20 years ago this would be just some article in a tiny corner of the newspaper after the fact.

#obvious observation

mackaveli

the republicans come across so villainous in all this. the dems are so desperate.

this is just plain good tv

Yeah it's a great movie.

I don't know much about US politics but I hope with internet, social media, etc, that more people will care about politics and get more involved and things will change not immediately but in 5 to 10 years.

iammeiam

Hahaha now they're arguing about who gets to talk first, this is amazing. They are not letting this get to a vote, and it is amazing.

I do find it amazing that they're counting the backbrace as a digression from topic, based on those rules.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Care to justify your position?

I think killing people is wrong. I don't think blastocysts or zygotes are people, for example, but once they have normal-human characteristics, they are people to me.

It is the same reason I am avidly against the death penalty, anti-war, etc.

Why can't someone make a 2 hour parliamentary inquiry?

lol @ this guy asking the same thing over and over eventually by asking to look at the transcript.

This is all hilarious.

We're all watching on YouTube! Give us instant replay!

And isn't it nice that we're all learning parliamentary procedure approaching midnight EDT?

Watson made the motion to appeal, and then someone made an enquiry, right? So yeah, Watson should still have the floor, as his argument was interrupted by the enquiry.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I think even Kafka would be puzzled by this.

Zebra

As a Texan, I am really hoping for the best out of all this.

I am super proud of Sen. Davis no matter what the turnout.

Zoe

Aw man, why did this have to get interesting after I left work. Still not home yet to truly follow :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom