• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
LOL.

On another note: as a pro-lifer, I love me some limiting of abortions. :)

Outside of life of mother/baby unable to survive without machines sort of thing.

Definitely a rarity on GAF, I know, but that's me.

(to counterbalance the incoming hate, I am against the death penalty, pro gay-marriage, for legalization of most drugs, etc.)

Dewhurst said that the 3rd PoO needed to face a floor vote if sustained. It was sustained, but not voted on floor. Dewhurst unilaterally attempted to end filibuster. He is lying and I'm very glad to see Kirk Watson (Austin) challenge him on that point.

Watson and Van De Putte (San Antonio) can stretch this out.

boiled goose

good with gravy
LOL.

Outside of life of mother/baby unable to survive without machines sort of thing.

(to counterbalance the incoming hate, I am against the death penalty, pro gay-marriage, for legalization of most drugs, etc.)

so you want to limit the freedoms of those that disagree with you? be against it all you want, but do you think that your views should be imposed upon others?

Oh lord. What the hell is going on...?

She was talking about a previous abortion law in the context of how this new law piles upon that law thus severely limiting access to abortion and they are claiming that talking about the previous law was not germane.

Which seems pretty fucking ridiculous.

Alexlf

So the motion to overturn the third PoO will, for all intents and purposes, extend the filibuster, right?

Yep, now they either need to succeed in overruling it, giving her another chance to speak, or they just need to hold it out until midnight.

mackaveli

Is this chick asking for them to debate everythign for her since she was left.

and explain everything to her haha.

Keep stalling hahaha.

LOL.

Congratulations. Keep your values out of my mother/daughter/girlfriend/wife's bodies.

Timeless

Guys what if the anti-abortion advocates advocated for better sex education? One would assume that an abortion is the result of poor planning / education before having sex. Maybe the best way to make sure that unborn babies aren't killed is to make sure they never existed in the first place.

Of course, most of the anti-abortion sentiment comes from religious conservatives who think it's immoral to wear a condom or teach others about them.

Fracas

#fuckonami
My connection is too bad to watch the stream, can someone summarize?

In an hour and 43 minutes, the vote can't be held, right?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys what if the anti-abortion advocates advocated for better sex education? One would assume that an abortion is the result of poor planning / education before having sex. Maybe the best way to make sure that unborn babies aren't killed is to make sure they never existed in the first place.

Of course, most of the anti-abortion sentiment comes from religious conservatives who think it's immoral to wear a condom or teach others about them.

Easy to fix, just ban pre-marital sex!

Yeah I'm Canadian but US politics is entertaining to watch but damn it seems like a horrible place to live in (Some states that is).

Every country is a horrible place to live if you look in the right places. Man I wish Sweden's politics were this exciting at times though :p

Cartman86

Banned

No.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
so you want to limit the freedoms of those that disagree with you? be against it all you want, but do you think that your views should be imposed upon others?

In this case: yes. In all other cases: no.

Might as well call me JayDubya on the point of abortion. It is senseless.

An-Det

Hearing the faint chants of "let her speak" still going on in the distance is fucking awesome. Shame they broke the fillibuster, still over 2 hours to go. Really cool that this is streamed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom