• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2187

Banned
So.. what's going on?

1352830592-mr_smith_goes_to_washington.jpg

Rayis

I'm just loving how the Democrats are standing up against Republicans, especially in such an state like Texas, I really hope Democrats do better in statewide elections (they definitely have my votes), we're tired of being led by these terrorists. I'm seeing people in the comments saying that they will now vote Democrat after being life-long Republicans, if that means something.

IJoel

Absolutely deplorable how they are trying to just jam this ridiculous legislation through. I hope the stalling continues and the filibuster is successful.

I don't understand this moon speak they are talking about yielding and table and motion... and I know what they mean individually but... in this.. case... wtf is happening.

Slacker

How many times is Mr. President going to mistakenly say that Watson motioned to table? Going on like 50 times so far.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I'm just loving how the Democrats are standing up against Republicans, especially in such an state like Texas, I really hope Democrats do better in statewide elections (they definitely have my votes), we're tired of being led by these terrorists. I'm seeing people in the comments saying that they will now vote Democrat after being life-long Republicans, if that means something.

what made these people vote republican before? Or anyone with a shred of decency (in my opinion) for that matter?

Zaptruder

Banned
Absolutely deplorable how they are trying to just jam this ridiculous legislation through. I hope the stalling continues and the filibuster is successful.

Technically, Davis has already failed.

But the rest of the Dems are chucking up obfuscating stone walls as replies in kind to the bullshit that the Republicans pulled.

Fair cop!

mackaveli

This is so stupid.

This guy doesn't know the sequence of events.

This is a travesty if they table the motion with the wrong sequence of events.

WTF.

shuri

Banned
Can someone explain to me how this entire super long debate thing works, I'm lost. The original plan was to have her talk non stop for hours until the other senators said 'fuck it' to the vote and cancel the bill?

I just dont understand how this works and why its valid?

Yo dawg. I heard you like an appeal so I put an appeal in your appeal so you can motion to the table while you appeal to the appeal due to the motion to the table.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
so orange tie guy says he did not yield except for parliamentary things, but was the lady with the funeral stuff, was that all relevant inquiry?

Geez, all of this is brain blasting.

Koomaster

My brain officially hurts now. >___<

Also if this guy is so sure he's right, why not check the tapes, it would be a lot faster than letting people ask about the sequence of events over and over and he could get on with his life. But, he of course knows he is wrong and has slipped up and won't check the transcript because he would be effed.

PogiJones

Banned
Filibusters are one of the worst tools in American politics. It's the equivalent of taking your ball and going home when you're losing.

Alexlf

Can someone explain to me how this entire super long debate thing works, I'm lost. The original plan was to have her talk non stop for hours until the other senators said 'fuck it' to the vote and cancel the bill?

I just dont understand how this works and why its valid?

Originally she planned to talk about the bill until the time is up. Then they planned to talk about why she should be able to keep talking about the plan until time is up. Now they plan to keep talking about why they should be able to overrule the motion to overrule why she should be able to keep talking. It's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom