• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I think killing people is wrong. I don't think blastocysts or zygotes are people, for example, but once they have normal-human characteristics, they are people to me.

It is the same reason I am avidly against the death penalty, anti-war, etc.

ok so blastocysts and zygotes are not people.
so abortion is ok at some stages of development and not others.

Where do you draw the line personally, and where do you think the law should draw the line?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can someone explain to me how this entire super long debate thing works, I'm lost. The original plan was to have her talk non stop for hours until the other senators said 'fuck it' to the vote and cancel the bill?

I just dont understand how this works and why its valid?

Basically they have until midnight Texas time to vote for the bill until the legislative session ends and they have to start from the beginning next time they are in session. So she decided to filibuster the bill by just talking until midnight which would kill it. Then some asshole decided to try and bend the rules to try and end her filibuster which led to what is going on now.

This stalling is hilarious, and what's even better is that they're totally in the right, the motion to table was not in order.

Can you explain what that means? As I was watching it seemed like I understood this point and then somehow the discussion moved past it. But I was never clear what the point actually was, only that it seemed persuasive.

Filibusters are one of the worst tools in American politics. It's the equivalent of taking your ball and going home when you're losing.

Actually it is more like taking your ball, standing in the midst of everyone, and saying "come and fucking get it."

Avoiding a quorum is taking your ball and going home when you're losing.

marrec

Banned
Can someone explain to me how this entire super long debate thing works, I'm lost. The original plan was to have her talk non stop for hours until the other senators said 'fuck it' to the vote and cancel the bill?

I just dont understand how this works and why its valid?

Dem Senator wanted to talk for hours straight in order to push a vote on the bill being debated past the time that it could be voted on. They have to let her do this, but they can be dicks about it by basically giving her three strikes. If she pauses, rests, or goes off topic, they can give her a strike and if they deem that she's done that three times then they can vote on cloture (cloture is ending debate).

Now other Dems are stepping up and appealing the third strike and we've gotten stuck in parliamentary procedure.

You're out of order! You're out of order!

you-re-out-of-order-o.gif

Being Lt. Gov. in the State of Texas must rank near the bottom of desirable jobs

It's one of the three power jobs in the state.

They are, Lt Gov, Speaker of the House, and Railroad Commissioner.

The only reason Perry has power is because he has been there for so long, he has appointed the entire bureaucracy at this point.

Iksenpets

Banned
what made these people vote republican before? Or anyone with a shred of decency (in my opinion) for that matter?

Texas has super low voter turnout. Republican domination is mostly a result of the fact that most of the people who turn out to vote are a old white people.

Chichikov

Filibusters are one of the worst tools in American politics. It's the equivalent of taking your ball and going home when you're losing.
True, but if we're bound to have them, at least make a talking filibuster, so at least it's entertaining.

Fuck that procedural crap the US Senate has.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dem Senator wanted to talk for hours straight in order to push a vote on the bill being debated past the time that it could be voted on. They have to let her do this, but they can be dicks about it by basically giving her three strikes. If she pauses, rests, or goes off topic, they can give her a strike and if they deem that she's done that three times then they can vote on cloture (cloture is ending debate).

Now other Dems are stepping up and appealing the third strike and we've gotten stuck in parliamentary procedure.

Which basically seems to be turning into another filibuster since it's amounting to exactly the same thing: running out the clock.

True, but if we're bound to have them, at least make a talking filibuster, so at least it's entertaining.

Fuck that procedural crap the US Senate has.

Damn straight!

joe2187

Banned
The fuck is going on

The motion to table is being appealed but they want to appeal the decision to appeal the motion to table but they're debating the appeal of the appeal of table motion, tapes records appeal chair motion table wing zap doodle bang wollygag.

RyanDG

They have their purpose though. Direct democracy and majority +1 for all legislative purposes are dangerous tools.

Rayis

what made these people vote republican before? Or anyone with a shred of decency (in my opinion) for that matter?

I honestly don't know, the comments I read didn't specify the reason, but my guess is due to being raised by Republican-voting parents and just continuing with the tradition.

ok so blastocysts and zygotes are not people.
so abortion is ok at some stages of development and not others.

Where do you draw the line personally, and where do you think the law should draw the line?

Actually, it's way more clear cut then that and is what doctors use in most places where abortion access is not subject to bullshit rules, like in CA. The rest of the argument is non-doctors and scientists arguing semantics ie most pro-lifers. Their ignorance of simple reproductive biology and rejection of empiricism is amazing.

aceface

Is this woman in white the parliamentarian?

How can she allow a motion to table when the other guy didn't yield the floor?

I have no idea what's going on.

Tamati

Neo Member
Heard someone around the office talking about this and noticed that it made the front page of a major news website in my country (New Zealand)

mackaveli

This fucking chair guy is stupid man. They wasted like 20 minutes debating something just go over the damn receipts already.

Still on parliamentary inquiry of what haaha.

marrec

Banned
"I want to raise a point of order on your decision to recognize the motion to table"

Holy shit this guy is a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom