• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

So apparently only 2 of the strikes were on being germane so they stole 1 from her (3rd was on assistance, but the rule is 3 related to being germane)

Zebra

The names by which Texans break down the state into regions are somewhat nonsensical. East Texas has a very specific meaning in Texan parlance. It only refers to that strip of land east of Dallas and Houston. It's the most religious and conservative part of the state, with way more ties to the Old South than the rest of Texas, so it would be really weird if it hosted all of the state's abortion clinics. For more madness, Dallas is considered North Texas, while the actual northernmost part of the state is just called the Panhandle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JREkqCvLzSo

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
In whatever rule book, it says "his" when referring to Senators? Instead of "his or her"? Is this correct?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The inquiry right now is pointing out that the rule is 3 strikes related to germaneness so assistance doesn't matter as it relates to the 3 strikes

Thanks for the clarification, that seems to be exactly it.

The inquiry right now is pointing out that the rule is 3 strikes related to germaneness so assistance doesn't matter as it relates to the 3 strikes

Yeah, i see that now.

ASK HIM TO QUOTE THE RULE HERE

edit: he just dodged her question on the rule. What the fuck...

the debate has been like this for hours

the dems are trying to stall until midnight, while the Republicans are trying to bust the filibuster

Oh okay. I missed almost the whole day of this then. I must admit, I'm entertained.

When they say filibustering means talking a bill to death, they really mean it. This conversation is hilarious.

cashman

Banned
The names by which Texans break down the state into regions are somewhat nonsensical. East Texas has a very specific meaning in Texan parlance. It only refers to that strip of land east of Dallas and Houston. It's the most religious and conservative part of the state, with way more ties to the Old South than the rest of Texas, so it would be really weird if it hosted all of the state's abortion clinics. For more madness, Dallas is considered North Texas, while the actual northernmost part of the state is just called the Panhandle.

Nobody cares about the Panhandle, but generally I hear the new people call DFW North-central Texas..

Enron

Banned
The president of the Texas Senate literally doesn't know how the Texas Senate works. She tells him the rules.

This is pretty much how it is in all houses of government - there's so many procedures and rules written none of the elected officials read and remember them, there's full time staff that takes care of that for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom