• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they keep up that cheering for 11 more minutes, I'd seriously record myself eating raw onions. I can't cheer for more than 3 minutes without my throat being in major pain.

Rayis

This is just glorious, I haven't seen anything like this ever, it's kind of like the Brazil protests at a smaller scale

Wallach

Destroyed. Republicans come out looking like fucking clowns. This is not the story they wanted to wind up on the news tomorrow.

bonercop

Not really when the majority of the state is in favor of the bill and there are the votes to pass it. This is mob mentality of who showed up

nah buddy, protesting is essential for a real democracy. For once, we're seeing poeple rather than private interests dictating things.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Amazing. Downright amazing. I wish I was there right now, just to be clapping. Brilliant :lol

Koomaster

That line and now this clapping. The most amazing. Wow, I can't stop smiling over that line. Holy shit; the best ice cold burn in political history.

iammeiam

Holy shit that must sting. Not only the burn itself, but people cheering for it for minutes on end.
I think he fucked himself over by trying to call for the final vote during the cheering--it's now literally the crowd screaming to keep the vote from finishing. 9 minutes!

Not really when the majority of the state is in favor of the bill and there are the votes to pass it. This is mob mentality of who showed up

Wrong: http://gqrr.com/images/documents/061913_TX_ACLU__FQ_public.pdf

Most Texas residents don’t support Senate Bill 5, the omnibus anti-abortion bill currently advancing in the legislature, according to a new bipartisan poll. In fact, 80 percent of Texans don’t want their lawmakers to be considering abortion-related bills during the special session that Gov. Rick Perry (R) convene

Jintor

I don't even know if the crowd is doing anything right now, but it's some great theatre

Welcome to the Texas Legislature where the rules are made up and the points of order don't matter

I want to thank all of you for calling attention to this tonight. I saw a quick blurb about it in the PoliGAF thread, but didn't think much about it. Now, I've been watching it for the last 2 hours. This has been fascinating and educational. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom