• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
People think feminism is over or unnecessary, they've said so on this very board, what do people think is the point?

It's time for women to take abortion out of the closet. An abortion pride movement, torn from the page of the gay rights movement. Hopefully, this may be the beginning.

Doesn't the GOP literally understand how big of a story this is going to be? Even if they pass it, its going to be a Pyrrhic victory at the best.

It would be way worse to pass it in this situation in my opinion. Just put it off and call another special session if they really refuse to wait until the next regular session.

Talon

THIS IS NEOGAF DUDE

Honestly, the senators look all confused now. This has probably never happened to any of them before in their memory.
Evan Smith is the Editor of the Texas Tribune and formerly EiC for Texas Monthly, and he's a very well-regarded guy in Journo circles.

His thoughts: Have seen nothing like this in #txlege in 22 years. Not even close. Waiting for someone to yell "Attica."

Getting upset

Jim Vertuno ‏@JimVertuno 1m

Campbell yelling at security to remove cheering crowd "We're losing time! I want them out!" #txlege

And DPS have now LEFT the gallery. No longer taking people out.

DGRE

Banned
It's time for women to take abortion out of the closet. An abortion pride movement, torn from the page of the gay rights movement. Hopefully, this may be the beginning.

Are you joking? You are proud of abortion? I've never heard anyone claim that they were pro-abortion, just pro-choice.

DrBo42

Is there no one in the room that can keep the President's rulings honest? The fact that it has reached this point is fucking insane. The system is so broken.

Enron

Banned
Doesn't the GOP literally understand how big of a story this is going to be? Even if they pass it, its going to be a Pyrrhic victory at the best.

Is everyone going to move to Texas and vote them out of office? I think not.

Nationally, it won't be as big of a story as GAF thinks. No outlets are even covering this at the moment, and it wasn't a national story in the other states where it's been tried. It might warrant a blurb on the news that will be forgotten in 3 weeks by the majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom