• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea how you got the impression that I had something to discuss with you on this issue or any other.You are apparently unable to distinguish between abhorrent positions and individual abhorrent people and tarring an entire group of people. It is rude and ignorant of the reality that many people hold very complex identities which are constructed by a number of factors, only some of which they have control over. Even those who engage in dirty tricks to pass these policies are doing so because at their core they truly believe they are doing the right thing to satisfy their underlying moral beliefs. They should be educated as to the emotional and physical harm they are causing and the ineffectiveness of their policy options, but they should not be treated as lesser humans or threatened with jail or called scum. You are engaging in hurtful and unhelpful rhetoric and you are not showing human compassion. Everyone is capable of being better than this and you are choosing not to be.

give this man a medal

antonz

People like Kermit Gosnell and Douglas Karpen in Houston make it very hard to be against enhanced standards for clinics even if it will close those that refuse to or cannot cooperate with new standards.

Doctors must have admitting privileges to a hospital within 30 miles if they are performing an abortion. Remember, a lot of abortions can happen just with a pill.

Abortion clinics must have hallways that meet a certain width and stuff.

But the 30 miles requirement means well...no rural areas where this can happen.

ivysaur12

Banned
People like Kermit Gosnell and Douglas Karpen in Houston make it very hard to be against enhanced standards for clinics even if it will close those that refuse to or cannot cooperate with new standards.

I don't really understand what that has to do with undue burdens with the sole purpose of closing the majority of rural abortion clinics in the state. This isn't about safety, it's about limiting access to a medical procedure.

antonz

I don't really understand what that has to do with undue burdens with the sole purpose of closing the majority of rural abortion clinics in the state. This isn't about safety, it's about limiting access to a medical procedure.

That may be the case but even if it was nothing more than improving standards it would still be attacked as trying to limit abortion.

AMUSIX

I'd be curious to hear an unbiased rebuttal to these points on a fact by fact basis, but they do sound overboard.

Still, abortion should be very limited and only allowed in very regulated facilities.
There's not much of a rebuttal to the points. These laws have been pushed through in other states (Virginia, Louisiana, North Dakota) and the republicans go on record saying that the entire reason for the law is to abolish abortion in the state. They specifically say that its designed to shut down the clinics, not improve care or give more oversight.
There's a difference between enhancing standards to prevent the horrors like Gosnell and Karpen from happening and putting in something that is unobtainable. Admitting privileges is an absurd requirement. Also, most abortions are non-surgical procedures, so why insist that every abortion clinic have a multi-million dollar surgical center?

Hell, in other states, they were insisting that abortion clinics needed a certain amount of closet space, and that compliance was due within two days of the law passing. There's a reason these laws got the acronym TRAP.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to regulate the clinics that are operating today, the vast majority of which are safe, out of existence is going to create more situations like that in Kermit Gosnell's clinics. They're not going to stop abortion. They're just going to make it less safe.

The fuckwit who sponsored all the terrible anti-abortion bills in my state used this same awful line of logic today when discussing the goals of their bills. You can wish this would be the case, but I assure you, it won't be.

That may be the case but even if it was nothing more than improving standards it would still be attacked as trying to limit abortion.
If they had showed any interest at all in giving one fuck about people's health instead of a radical anti-abortion agenda perhaps it wouldn't always be seen as an attack on reproductive rights.

I'd be curious to hear an unbiased rebuttal to these points on a fact by fact basis, but they do sound overboard.

Still, abortion should be very limited and only allowed in very regulated facilities.

It was a Republican that bragged about it closing 30 clinics.

AUSTIN — Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst set folks a-Twitter on an abortion bill approved by the Senate, boasting Wednesday on social media that the bill would virtually eliminate statewide access to the procedure.

Dewhurst and other Republican backers have adamantly fended off Democratic attacks on the bill, saying that requiring stricter standards for abortion clinics is not about limiting access but about protecting women’s health.

But on Wednesday, hours after the Senate passed the bill almost entirely along party lines, Dewhurst posted on Twitter that the bill was about closing down clinics.

He posted a Planned Parenthood release showing that more than 30 abortion providers that would be shuttered by the legislation, along with a caption reading that the bill “would essentially ban abortion statewide.” Dewhurst wrote: “We fought to pass SB 5 thru the Senate last night, & this is why.”
BNIVNeaCMAArB96.jpg

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...ll-eliminate-statewide-access-to-abortion.ece

antonz

Trying to regulate the clinics that are operating today, the vast majority of which are safe, out of existence is going to create more situations like that in Kermit Gosnell's clinics. They're not going to stop abortion. They're just going to make it less safe.

The fuckwit who sponsored all the terrible anti-abortion bills in my state used this same awful line of logic today when discussing the goals of their bills. You can wish this would be the case, but I assure you, it won't be.

Problem is people like Gosnell were allowed to happen because ideologues in charge of making sure it didn't happen specifically decided not to enforce inspections or pursue complaints because in their own words it would interfere with the right to access abortion.

Chumly

Problem is people like Gosnell were allowed to happen because ideologues in charge of making sure it didn't happen specifically decided not to enforce inspections or pursue complaints because in their own words it would interfere with the right to access abortion.
I didn't realize that inspections happened anywhere in Texas for anything.

Before Davis began speaking, her chair was removed. CBSDFW.com reports that Davis must speak continuously -- and stay on topic -- the entire time. She is not allowed to lean against something for support. And she will not be able to stop or take a break, not even for meals or the restroom, during the entire 13-hour ordeal.

Davis offered some insight to her plans Monday night on Twitter:

Wendy Davis @WendyDavisTexas

The leadership may not want to listen to TX women, but they will have to listen to me. I intend to filibuster this bill. #SB5 #txlege
9:06 PM - 24 Jun 2013​

When combined in a state 773 miles wide and 790 miles long and with 26 million people, the measures would close almost every abortion clinic in Texas. A woman living along the Mexico border or in West Texas would have to drive hundreds of miles to obtain an abortion if the law passes.

Damn, those are some tough rules. In US Senate (when they actually had to speak) they used to just start reading from the phone book. They didn't have to stay on topic.

Some more pics

Not sure if these supporters don't know that it was wire coat-hanger (perhaps they are too young) or perhaps they couldn't find any wire coat-hangers.
Qx1Xi.St.58.jpeg

But it makes me happy that they've never known a reality with wire coat-hangers as a possibility.

Is that a member of Pussy Riot?

Also: Go Wendy Go.

lj167

How long would it take to vote? Like, if she has to sit down at 11:57, could they get the bill through or would it take too much time?

Is she ever afraid of running out of things to say? I'd like to know if she has an outline of her speech or if she really just makes it up as she speaks.

Zutroy

Someone asked earlier but I didn't notice a reply. If she fails, what's stopping another dem from taking the floor and delaying it?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Someone asked earlier but I didn't notice a reply. If she fails, what's stopping another dem from taking the floor and delaying it?

I think someone has to be on the schedule to address the group. If she did fail, I have a feeling the people in the gallery would just be so unruly that they wouldn't be able to take a vote anyway.

It's worth noting that Davis was a single mom at 19. Got herself through community college, undergrad (top of class), and Harvard Law.

Fusebox

Banned

I disagree. Abortion should be available to anyone who needs it, whenever they need it and I don't see a need for more regulation than any other equally serious medical procedure.

mackaveli

Are they trying to find a rule to get her to shut up so she can't speak for 4 to 5 hours left?

Now they are takinga bout Paper and comparisons to Ipad and laptop HAAHAH.

this is nuts haha

Are they trying to find a rule to get her to shut up so she can't speak for 4 to 5 hours left?

Now they are takinga bout Paper and comparisons to Ipad and laptop HAAHAH.

this is nuts haha

Yup. The man is arguing what kind of material she can read from so she can stop standing up and talking for 13 hours to prevent a law from being put in place.

Is there any place in the world that this doesn't sound absolutely stupid?

mackaveli

Yup. The man is arguing what kind of material she can read from so she can stop standing up and talking for 13 hours to prevent a law from being put in place.

Is there any place in the world that this doesn't sound absolutely stupid?

I don't even know who is a supporter of her cause and against when each person is asking about the rules and what they actually mean.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wait, why'd she stop talking!? She didn't get shut down did she?

They're arguing if she can read from an iPad because it's not "paper", thus she wouldn't be able to read testimonies that are being sent to her.

Granted, her staff could always just print them out and plop them on her desk.

antonz

They're arguing if she can read from an iPad because it's not "paper", thus she wouldn't be able to read testimonies that are being sent to her.

Actually I think its the opposite. They are saying if you stop her from reading from the paper that ipad etc are not paper. They are trying to be smartasses over the rules being enforced so by the letter

mackaveli

Is she allowed to sit when they talka bout the rules? it seems like this pause in her speaking is ruining her flow.

Now she might be over thinking and isn't in rhythm and might slip up.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

started with Paper, then was asked "what about digitally (computer/IPAD) and they said "well, that shit wasn't invented then, but it means the same thing so no"

Read like Paper was out, or could be out, or something.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Amazing how this illustrates a bunch of antiquities of law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom