• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. I shouldn't be able to make an accurate parallel between an abortion case and a season of Dragonball Z

This is great though.

GokuChargingGenkiDama..png

Huh.

Jhriad

I love knowing there's a vocal progressive presence in Texas. This is amazing to watch, even if the ending will just be a continuation of ass-backwards Republican bullshit.

Practically all the major metropolitan areas are Democratic in addition to the border areas of the state. If it wasn't for all the gerrymandering Texas would be a battleground state already.

kendrid

Banned
You just have to remember that when the Republicans do this in the not too distant future it was 'cool' tonight. Really. It will be used by both sides.

Talon

Is everyone going to move to Texas and vote them out of office? I think not.

Nationally, it won't be as big of a story as GAF thinks. No outlets are even covering this at the moment, and it wasn't a national story in the other states where it's been tried. It might warrant a blurb on the news that will be forgotten in 3 weeks by the majority.
This may be the case but wonks and political journos are all over this story tonight. HuffPo, Politico and BuzzFeed Pol will run with it in the morning at least.

DGRE

Banned
Abortion rights are tied to women's health in general.
Those with more lenient rules on abortion and those who give out free and low cost contraception have the lowest abortion rates. This is according to the World Health Organization study.

I agree that legislation doesn't solve the issue, but abortion is nothing to be proud of. I'm not saying a woman must be ashamed but let's not start printing stickers and t-shirts just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom