• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

Does the parliamentarian have to rule on whether the point of order is valid before they vote on it, or no? If they just vote, I'm sure the outcome is obvious

jaxword

What's going on with the livestream? No sound and no talking?

Oh those scumbags are trying to say she went off topic...

Wallach

What's going on with the livestream? No sound and no talking?

They are discussing the last point of order made questioning the relevancy of her last topic to the bill she is filibustering. I'm pretty sure this would be the final warning if it goes against her...

Haha, from the comment feed: "BTW, Wendy, your hair still looks amazing!"

It does look amazing.

The big question is whether Rick Perry will immediately demand another special session. Could go either way. He'll look like a dick if he does, IMHO, but he seems to relish that role.

They are discussing the last point of order made questioning the relevancy of her last topic to the bill she is filibustering. I'm pretty sure this would be the final warning if it goes against her...

It would be, at which point they could vote to end filibuster.

What are Perry's options, if Davis' filibuster succeeds? Can't he just create another special legislation period in order to ram this through, as early as tomorrow? It doesn't seem like his behavior will stop him from being re-elected anyway.

sangreal

What are Perry's options, if Davis' filibuster succeeds? Can't he just create another special legislation period in order to ram this through, as early as tomorrow? It doesn't seem like his behavior will stop him from being re-elected anyway.

Probably, but it is more about bringing attention to the issue

e:
Perry added abortion restrictions to the agenda of the special session on June 11. If the legislation fails, he could choose to call the Legislature back for another 30-day special session at any time.

I might have missed this, but why can't anyone else take the floor to keep the filibuster going? No one else willing to take a stand like Sen. Davis or is it a rules issue (i.e. each side gets X minutes, but the last speaker can't be cut off, only X number of speakers per side, etc...)?

Slacker

I was wondering that too, Squirrel Killer.

Dewhurst basically said earlier that abortion was on topic, so I don't see how they rule against her here. And it seems like if they shoot her down for some bullshit rules violation they're just going to mobilize the left in TX even more.

Perry could call for the deaths of all minorities and he would still win in this goddamn state. :|

C'mon . . . she was discussing how this law piles upon an earlier law and thus what she was talking about was quite germane. Let her keep rolling. Unless you are giving her a break.

OH WTF?!?!?! YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!

mackaveli

That chick is a bitch.

I don't understand how any woman can support the bill.

Like wtf.

There should be mass riots man.

Good thing I am Canadian.

Wow, so they just ended her filibuster.

GG democracy.

Texas onlookers should cause a riot and make it impossible to finish. non-violent riot, of course. Just a huge disruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom