• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 146 |OT| Frunk Mur Gets Legit Killed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Buffalo Wild Wings a good place to watch UFC? Do they typically have a cover charge or anything? I've only gone once to see UFC at a bar/restaurant and want to see tomorrow's event.

I guess its a good sign that when I was doing my picks just now I feel like there won't be many decisions tonight. Hopefully I'm right.

And my 'upset' picks for tonight: Sass (only 26% pick him to win?), Johnson, Miocic, and Herman

Hunter S.

Is Buffalo Wild Wings a good place to watch UFC? Do they typically have a cover charge or anything? I've only gone once to see UFC at a bar/restaurant and want to see tomorrow's event.

It is great for the Wings. I used to watch most UFCs there, but I had to go to the bar/food joint 3-4 hours early to ensure getting in and eventually went to sports bars that had less people. I found that bars with younger crowds were a lot harder to get in while bars with older crowds were a lot easier to get in. Vote for Buffalo Wild wings and younger crazier crowds though if you willing to pay a lot of money for food and booze waiting for the event.

Edit: No cover charge at the one I go to. Too popular for that.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I like JDS unorthodox boxing over Mir's bone breaking BJJ.
Mir only chance is pulling guard as soon as he can as he said.

Cigano highlight

Carwin to JDS on last episode of Primetime: "My face still suffers from you."

And the Countdown show...Big Country's kung fu session vs. Herman's slamball variant. Incredible.

Heel

Sass vs. Volkmann is really interesting on paper, but if Volkmann has his way it won't be pretty. Sass has been a sicko on the ground so far, though.

Remembered to put some picks in this time!

http://mmajunkie.com/news/28852/ufc...r-johnsons-strikeforce-losses-are-telling.mma

LAS VEGAS – Stefan Struve (23-5 MMA, 7-3 UFC) is by no means overlooking Lavar Johnson (17-5 MMA, 2-0 UFC) this Saturday, but the 24-year-old Dutch fighter doesn't see Johnson – or any other heavyweight for that matter – beating him once he couples all his physical tools together.

"I think on a good day I can beat anybody in the division if I can use my physical abilities to the point that I should use them," Struve told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today. "I'm not worried about fighting anybody on the ground.

"It's just about being confident and leaving it all in the cage. If I do that, I don't see anybody (beating me)."

At 6-foot-11, the Dutch-born fighter nicknamed "Skyscraper" has an attribute that few other fighters can emulate.

That length, coupled with his solid jiu-jitsu, add difficult dimensions for Johnson to counter during their UFC 146 match, which airs as part of the pay-per-view main card at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

"He's going to come in here and swing," Struve said. "I think he knows if this fight hits the ground, he's in a world of trouble. I'm gong to throw any submission I know at him."

Earlier in today's media sessions, Johnson challenged his opponent to keep the fight standing and "put on a show," but Struve just shrugged off the similar comment he heard from each of his past two opponents in Pat Barry and Dave Herman.

"Pat Barry said the same thing," Struve said. "He invited me to a boxing match, I invited him to a grappling match. Dave Herman said [Brazilian jiu-jitsu] doesn't work in MMA, and I think I proved those guys wrong.

"This is a fight. If he (Johnson) doesn't want to go to the ground, he should go box or kickbox or whatever. If I take him down, he's mine."

Struve, who is coming off a second-round TKO of Herman and second-round submission win over Barry, admitted Johnson's powerful striking ability makes him a worthy opponent — but also one-dimensional.

"People say he hits so hard, but he hits so hard because he throws everything he's got," Struve said of his opponent, who has won his first two UFC fights since switching over from Strikeforce in January. "He has no ground game. He's looking for the knockout. That's all he's got.

"I think if I use my reach and use my height the way I should, he's not even touching me."

Struve said Johnson's wins over Barry and Joey Beltran weren't as telling of the type of fighter he is compared to his last two losses in Strikeforce, which came via submission to Shawn Jordan and fellow UFC 146 contestant Shane Del Rosario.

"I think a lot of fans know Lavar because of his last two fights (in the UFC)," he said. "If you only look at those fights (in Strikeforce, then he looks good). In his last two fights last year in Strikeforce, he lost via submission. Then he almost got submitted in his fight against Pat Barry. That tells me a lot."

Struve, who said he walks around near 280 pounds and currently weighs 260, believes his maturation physically and mentally has made him ready to continue his ascent up the heavyweight ranks and move into talk of title contention.

"There's a lot of things coming together," he said. "I've been adding muscles to my frame. It's very hard to use a frame when you're not strong enough. I'm strong enough now.

"I plan to pick him a part from the outside and show him how good I am."

Oh struve.

BrettWeir

Being the BJJ guy that I am, I hope Mir takes another arm home for his mantel.

Dan Hardy needs to be released if he loses.

Zeliard

That Miocic - del Rosario fight is gonna be awesome. Shane del Rosario is impressive; dude was getting the better of even Lavar Johnson in the standup during their fight.

Heel

That Miocic - del Rosario fight is gonna be awesome. Shane del Rosario is impressive; dude was getting the better of even Lavar Johnson in the standup during their fight.

Yeah, if he comes back the way he was before his accident he'll be a beast. Miocic has a bright future too. Definitely the fight im looking forward to on this card. Kinda surprised they matched these guys up instead of trying to build them up separately. Not gonna complain though!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Think Mir's gonna get knocked out..He's just a slow starter and seems to need to be smacked around abit to wake up..I don't think JDS will give him the time honestly.

Cains gonna destroy Silva..big foot Is like Nelson..just not a top tier Heavy.

Hope Nelson takes it..he needs a win.

really hope Mayhem has a better showing.

And i'm thinking Lavar is gonna easily school Struve..should be a fun fight

TheNatural

My Member!
uh oh

Super, ridiculously, incredibly, amazingly hot UFC ring girl Arianny Celeste was arrested early this morning for allegations of domestic violence ... TMZ has learned.

According to the website for the Clark County Detention Center, the unbelievably hot Celeste was taken into custody at 7:30 AM and held on $3,000 bond. She is still behind bars.

If Celeste does not post bond within 48 hours, her fine self will go before a judge.

In addition to her work with UFC, Celeste has modeled for Maxim, FHM, Sports Illustrated and Playboy.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Facebook fights...why haven't they started yet?

Tell me about it
f5.gif

and just like that..the music starts ;)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
You guys laugh at it but i had a GF that liked to beat me up while doing 'things'. It was quite awful for me. :(
At one point i avoided any kind of intimate contact with her @__@

It's too bad the thread title didn't reference gassing...
It says Frunk Mur right there in the title.

You guys laugh at it but i had a GF that liked to beat me up while doing 'things'. It was quite awful for me. :(
At one point i avoided any kind of intimate contact with her @__@

See I'm into that shit. I had a chick bite the shit out of me before. Scratches, bites, slaps, and all that other shit. Love it.

Fersis

See I'm into that shit. I had a chick bite the shit out of me before. Scratches, bites, slaps, and all that other shit. Love it.
Yeah a bunch of people are into that kind of stuff. Im quite vanilla :3
She asked me to hit her and it was really awkward because it isnt in me to that kind of stuff.
K' back to UFC! WAR CIGANO!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Someone on wiki having fun.

idpKZQbgkoU7p.png

I'll join nerd chat when the FX portion starts. Facebook prelims are dead to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom