• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 152 |OT| Jones vs Belfort: Who Does God Love More?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormer

I've been following mma since 2002 but lately UFC has been boring the hell out of me..

Not sure why, but my interest level has gone down big time... could be the fighters that are around now but really I want to see a super fight. Pride was so much more fun than UFC, way more hype.

wow at the lack of hype for this UFC....mma going downhill?

It's called the "Dana White Effect". How much hype would there be for the Super Bowl if the commissioner of the NFL talked trash about one of the teams before hand, questioning if they even were "Real Football Players" and then proceeded to insult his own fans by saying they are stupid for booing at boring main events that they paid top dollar to attend? (meanwhile he feeds into the mindset that leads to the booing by trashing every fighter who doesn't win by KO as "boring" on the latest season of TUF) The man is incompetent as fuck, he's taken the UFC as far as his feeble mind can and it's only down from here.

Got my picks in.

My 'upset' picks:

Noke over Brenneman
Thoresen over Baczynski <-- thinking of reversing this though
Swanson over Oliveira

pel1300

It's called the "Dana White Effect". How much hype would there be for the Super Bowl if the commissioner of the NFL talked trash about one of the teams before hand, questioning if they even were "Real Football Players" and then proceeded to insult his own fans by saying they are stupid for booing at boring main events that they paid top dollar to attend? (meanwhile he feeds into the mindset that leads to the booing by trashing every fighter who doesn't win by KO as "boring" on the latest season of TUF) The man is incompetent as fuck, he's taken the UFC as far as his feeble mind can and it's only down from here.

I doubt that has anything to do with it...if anything, the main event is the only fight people are really interested in for this fight.

I think it's more to do with the fact that there have been so many watered down cards and fights cancelled due to injury...people are just a little sour on MMA these days.

ShaneB

I doubt that has anything to do with it...if anything, the main event is the only fight people are really interested in for this fight.

I think it's more to do with the fact that there have been so many watered down cards and fights cancelled due to injury...people are just a little sour on MMA these days.

The injuries are the primary reason for me. It's getting harder and harder to get excited for any sort of event when it seems like a 100% chance the fight won't happen anyway.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Having the head of the product, actively trash talk the product, its competitors, its champion, openly to the press is just not good business. Sure it's funny to see Dana get red in the face, but at the end of the day he is the face of MMA because his promotion is the biggest. He damages the interest in the sport as a whole when he opens his mouth with bad things to say. Not forgetting to mention that he will point the finger at everyone else and never try to take any blame. We've just seen this very thing happen when he shit talked Jones, then turned around and shit talked Jones trainer, then finally shit talked Hendo.

Then you've got him over-saturating his own product with so many events that fighters can't even get built as legitimate contenders. So what does he turn around and do? He cancelled 151. Why? Because he had no fighters who could build interest in the PPV as a result of his own booking.

I think in their pursuit of expanding their market and obtain more mainstream penetration, the UFC has over saturated their audience with too many cards. Too many cards has introduced weak fight lineups, lower buy rates as fans are selective to what cards they buy and the Fox deal hasn't done anything to increasing their audience.

This card doesn't look bad though. The next big card is probably the next Fox card and the end of the year PPVs.

Edit: I agree that Dana shouldn't have thrown Jone under the bus, especially when he had Testosonnen, Overeem, Dos Santos ducking Velasquez, Diaz, etc.

thirty

Banned
The team I run just shipped a UFC app - IT'S FREE - called "UFC on Xbox LIVE". If you've got a gold account, you can make picks on who's going to win, how they're going to win, and earn points based on your accuracy. Leaderboards track you and 99 of your Live friends as well.

great app guys for you Windows Phone users ...all 11 of us.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/ufc-on-xbox-live/3ee3de07-3bbb-4928-97c2-376fd42596bc
UFC-On-Xbox-LIVE-620x499.jpg

I might come home early from the beach to watch this but only so I can complain about how UFC sucks now.

What sucks? The sport, the fighters haven't changed. Maybe the organization running the events has.

I still love MMA, but its just the over saturation and the quality of the cards that has me less interested in UFC. But I sure as hell tuned in to see Silva/Sonnen 2 and the Rousey/Kaufmann fights recently.

Pimpwerx

2 fights, 2 finishes. Pretty standard prelim fare. Twiggy got blasted in the face and choked the fuck out. All that length for nothing. I don't even think he landed. PEACE.

tass0

Banned
Noke stoppage was bs, tbh.

Picks:

Jones > Belfort
Mouse > Benavidez
Bisping > Stann
Oliveira > Swanson
Hamill > Hollett
Pokrajac > Magalhaes
Hettes > Brimage

Pimpwerx

Brimage got that. Instead of running, though, I think he should have used the leg kicks more to check Hettes' progress. Then circle around. Judges can't rob him though. Striking stats have to be heavy in his favor. PEACE.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
great fight. brimage for sure, but hettis definitely took rd 2

Jones right on again. Drinking and driving is the best way to feel free. All the kids should look up to his example if you really want to feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom