• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 159 |OT| The Great White Hopeless

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Is this really any more of a joke fight than Rampage and Vitor fighting Jones? People up
in arms like this is such a travesty.

You forgot Machida.

1-2 and he got a title shot, simply because there was no-one left.

But Jones is the one fighter in the world that is immune from the whole "who did he beat?" game, simply because at this point, there's no other fighter that looks even remotely capable of beating him.

yogloo

To see everyone picking jones as the obvious winner makes me think that chael is going to win. Something is not quite right.

Macattk15

To see everyone picking jones as the obvious winner makes me think that chael is going to win. Something is not quite right.

Obvious winner is obvious.

Do you compare Jon Jones to Michael Bisping or Brian Stann?

I'll watch this one on First Row ... not worth paying.

You expecting a swerve? This ain't wrasslin'.

EDIT: To clarify, Jones looking vastly superior to Sonnen isn't because Uncle Dana wants to swerve the smarks.

Batman

Banned

Considering that Belfort almost beat Jones in that submission you never know what surprises Sonnen has. I think this is a trap fight for Jones and he will lose tomorrow.

Maxxan

Considering that Belfort almost beat Jones in that submission you never know what surprises Sonnen has. I think this is a trap fight for Jones and he will lose tomorrow.

Thing is, Belfort is a BJJ black belt, and Jones was able to endure a very tight armbar. Sonnen is more the ground-and-pound type. I have no idea how Sonnen could possibly win this, but kudos to him if he does.

Dysun

image.php

Thing is, Belfort is a BJJ black belt, and Jones was able to endure a very tight armbar. Sonnen is more the ground-and-pound type. I have no idea how Sonnen could possibly win this, but kudos to him if he does.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Chael pushing the pace hard and fast could end up working Jones into a wrestle friendly sub. And with Jones admittedly being more willing to take an injury than he is to tap, Sonnen's going into this knowing that any sub he puts on Jones will have to break something or put Jones out cold to get the win.

I can see an arm triangle victory for Chael on the longshot. It seems more likely than a KO victory though anyone can be knocked out.

Takuan

SHALE BY DESTRUCTIVE KO, +10000000

Seriously, I might put $10 on him just for shits and giggles. Thinking of plopping $100 on Belcher, but I have no idea how well (or poorly) he performed in his last few fights.

Heel

have him cut a promo at the old school NWA grey set, with Schiavone and Dave Crockett.

Chael Sonnen, the living legend. Not Anderson Silva. Not Jon Jones. Not Paulo Filho.

You know, at the University of Oregon, the girls call me cool. At that real estate agency where I committed a felony, the girls call me slick. And all the other women around the world just say, "There goes the man, Chael Sonnen. The light heavyweight champion."

Dmented

Banned
If you think the article is accusing Sonnen of being racist, then you don't understand the article.

No, but I'm saying if Sonnen is using racically coded language to get title shots, then why hasn't he for Jon Jones, who's also a black man?

Why did they point out him calling Jones a “little, entitled, bratty kid” and not his praise for him?

No, but I'm saying if Sonnen is using racically coded language to get title shots, then why hasn't he for Jon Jones, who's also a black man?

Why did they point out him calling Jones a “little, entitled, bratty kid” and not his praise for him?

The situations leading to the shots are different. When Chael was promoting for Silva he needed something to seperate him from the rest in the public's mind. So not only did he trash talk but he trash talked in a way to garner support. It's a classic heel tactic because no matter what you say, there's going to be contingent that agrees with your bs.

But why go with bottom rung material like that? Stuff that was obviously borderline hatespeech. He's not a stupid man so he knows how that came across. He did it because he thought there was a contingent of fans that would eat it up and he was right. He became a name based on the trash talk alone and his performance in the first fight simply cemented him there.

He doesn't have to do that as much with Jones because he's established his name already. I mean he didn't even have to fight at LHW once to get this fight. No one wanted Jones. So he's got the fight and with the fallback career of announcer in the bag he's set no matter what. All he needs to do now is stoke the coals a bit while distancing himself from his more offensive persona just enough so that when he transfers over to announcer he can transition to the charismatic nice guy persona he's been cultivating ever since he put on the Blazer and sat behind the desk.

It's fine for a fighter to be mean and ornery. But sports analysts need to be charismatic and friendly to last. Look at guys like Lederman and how their popularity has dropped as fans lose respect for them when they're jerks.

Interesting take on how Sonnen got the title shot. Claims he uses racially coded language. A lot of stuff he's said is racist imo.

Dumb. Ignorant of the key fact in that promotion tactic.

The key fact the author is missing is the fact that the original long-term booking behind Sonnen was to get him to be the heel in a fight in Brazil that was supposed to take place in a massive soccer stadium. That's the sole reason for Sonnen's anti-Brazilian promos. He wanted to make himself the biggest heel in Brazil, so they could seek out the biggest gate in UFC history.

It would have worked too, if the UN summit hadn't interfered with the plan.

Sonnen wasn't using language to get the shot. He already had the shot. He was positioning his heel run for the Brazil super card.

Hex

Banned
Waiting for Jones to do his crouch walk thing and Sonnen to rush for a surprise takedown.
Really think the only chance Sonnen has in hell is getting in and getting Jones down right away, though what will he do with him when he has him down? Five round point humping is not happening.

And I really can not believe people still using the term wolf tickets. Even the cess pool of mma Sherdog already burnt it out of their system a week or two after the Diaz /GSP fight.

VoxPop

Hope Chael pulls off the monumental upset via split decision in a close fight. I think it would be okay to take some momentum off of Bones for 1 fight and let the greatest talker in the biz also be the best LHW in the biz. Maybe a Matt Serra moment one more time with Bones coming back even better than before.

Hope Chael pulls off the monumental upset via split decision in a close fight. I think it would be okay to take some momentum off of Bones for 1 fight and let the greatest talker in the biz also be the best LHW in the biz. Maybe a Matt Serra moment one more time with Bones coming back even better than before.

Except that Matt Serra moment didn't make GSP better than before. It removed his killer instinct entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom