• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 188: Champion vs Champion |OT| Fake Mexicans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or does a lot of the Cain hate seem to be thinly veiled racism? The guy is one of the most humble fighters in the UFC yet there is always strong hate for him.

Over the past few days, all I'm reading is posts talking about him being a fake Mexican, how he's a racist (because brown pride and white pride are obviously the same), people saying they're going to eat some tacos to celebrate him losing, etc.

I think most of the hate is simply cause he's injury prone and fights very infrequently.

The fake mexican thing is just trash talk from Werdum. Just trying to sell wolf tickets.

The brown pride tattoo definitely isn't a good look though.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I don't think people hate Cain, more enjoy seeing UFC's grand plan of exploiting Cain's parents' place of birth as a way to get a foothold in Mexico blow up in their faces.

I think most of the hate is simply cause he's injury prone and fights very infrequently.

The fake mexican thing is just trash talk from Werdum.

The brown pride tattoo definitely isn't a good look though.

The brown pride thing is overblown. People equating it to White Pride sound like the same kind of people who ask stuff like "Why don't we have a White History Month?!?" in February.

The brown pride thing is overblown. People equating it to White Pride sound like the same kind of people who ask stuff like "Why don't we have a White History Month?!?" in February.

It comes off as noxious. Look, you can point to Conor McGregor and he shows up as an Irish guy and he's proud of his Irish heritage and speaks about it with the media and that's totally okay. And Cain can do the same, and nobody's gonna have an issue with that.

But Conor would never get into the Octagon with WHITE PRIDE tattooed across his chest (and not just cause he's busy filling it up with dumb looking animals).

Fitts

Is it just me or does a lot of the Cain hate seem to be thinly veiled racism? The guy is one of the most humble fighters in the UFC yet there is always strong hate for him.

Over the past few days, all I'm reading is posts talking about him being a fake Mexican, how he's a racist (because brown pride and white pride are obviously the same), people saying they're going to eat some tacos to celebrate him losing, etc.

I'm not a fan of Cain because I've never thought he was a very good fighter and the amount of promotion he receives from the UFC is incredibly disproportionate to his abilities. Maybe that isn't exactly his fault, but he could've at least made an attempt to polish his skillset to live up to the hype. Instead, he's doing shit like actively ignoring advice to train at altitude for the Werdum fight.

I don't think people hate Cain, more enjoy seeing UFC's grand plan of exploiting Cain's parents' place of birth as a way to get a foothold in Mexico blow up in their faces.

Goes hand in hand with this.

It comes off as noxious. Look, you can point to Conor McGregor and he shows up as an Irish guy and he's proud of his Irish heritage and speaks about it with the media and that's totally okay. And Cain can do the same, and nobody's gonna have an issue with that.

But Conor would never get into the Octagon with WHITE PRIDE tattooed across his chest (and not just cause he's busy filling it up with dumb looking animals).

That's because White Pride has been appropriated by white supremacists and neo nazis. Brown pride has not been appropriated by any sort of mexican hate groups in this same way. The only other time you'll probably see it is at car shows. They aren't 1:1 comparisons.

That's because White Pride has been appropriated by white supremacists and neo nazis. Brown pride has not been appropriated by any sort of mexican hate groups. The only other time you'll probably see it is at car shows. They aren't 1:1 comparisons.

The very existence of white pride as a symbol of white supremacy makes a connection with brown pride. When people see that "brown pride", there's an immediate connotation of it being a variation of white pride. That's like, obvious. And I don't think Cain is that ignorant or oblivious.

It shows a very distasteful and divisive side to him and his thoughts on race. And he's putting it out there on front street.

The very existence of white pride as a symbol of white supremacy makes a connection with brown pride. When people see that "brown pride", there's an immediate connotation of it being a variation of white pride. That's like, obvious. And I don't think Cain is that ignorant or oblivious.

It shows a very distasteful and divisive side to him and his thoughts on race. And he's putting it out there on front street.

But it's not. Like I said would you equate a "White History Month" on the same level as "Black History Month"?

Reg

Banned

HAHAHA. No!

I was speaking on a technical level and stand by my original statement, those fighters I mentioned have better striking than werdum. Even cro cop, though I will agree he is irrelevant now. make no mistake, in no way am I saying werdum isn't a decent striker, he's improve greatly and is very effective, but it comes down to his body type/size/reach etc. he uses his tools very well.
I disagree, technically, Werdum showed me superior technical striking in the fights with Browne and Cain.

As others have noted, his reach isn't better. Werdum is simply using superior distance management which makes his reach look far longer than it actually is.

Fusebox

Banned
Well, then I guess nobody has any problem with Cain's tattoo, and it's never come up as an issue.

I thought it said Brown Urine when I first saw it.

Still looks like it too...

cain-velasquez-5.jpg

THRILLH0

Banned

Get the fuck outta here. If you connect Cain's tattoo with neo-nazism you're a clown.

But let's say you're right and it is a deliberate "fuck you" to the skinheads. Who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom