• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldcommando

Banned
ilE2vOx.jpg

I was waiting for that one to show up

Guys, take a look at Holm's abdominal muscles. That is not natural. She's clearly on PEDs, which will give Ronda a clean slate for the rematch.

Megatron

No. That's how boxing is. And boxing is actually worse for your health/brain because of it. It's actually safer to get knocked out once, than to get knocked out, allowed to get back up, and knocked out again.

Yeah, that's a different sport.

You want the concussed person to be stood up, given 8 seconds to shake the cobwebs off, then get concussed again? Because that's boxing. And boxing is more brutal than MMA. At least in MMA when you get KO'd the first time they stop the fight. I've seen boxers go down like Ronda, stagger back to their feet, and get knocked down again and again in fights. It's not better.

And that makes sense, but still, wouldn't then the right thing to do be give her a concussion test and if she fails, the fighting over? What boxing does is bad, but that doesn't mean we should let people get punched in the head when they're unconscious.

And yes, I know we don't have fool proof concussion tests out there, but if think we know enough about them that we could have three doctors on hand who can rule on whether or not she can get back in the ring.

Ronda was knocked out, she wasn't getting back up. That isn't what boxing does in that case. A knock out means the fight is over.

Also, I appreciate the two of you talking about it rationally and not throwing out insults for whatever reason like 12-year olds like some other posters are doing,

charsace

I can't wait to come back to this thread in a few months for some quotes.

Ok? Ronda got tagged a few times, didn't learn anything from it, and kept running straight at Holm. Watch Holm other fights in the UFC. They stayed out of range from Holm and didn't chase her around the ring. You see the same thing every time with counter strikers.

And that makes sense, but still, wouldn't then the right thing to do be give her a concussion test and if she fails, the fighting over? What boxing does is bad, but that doesn't mean we should let people get punched in the head when they're unconscious.

And yes, I know we don't have fool proof concussion tests out there, but if think we know enough about them that we could have three doctors on hand who can rule on whether or not she can get back in the ring.

Ronda was knocked out, she wasn't getting back up. That isn't what boxing does in that case. A knock out means the fight is over.

Also, I appreciate the two of you talking about it rationally and not throwing out insults for whatever reason like 12-year olds like some other posters are doing,

in the heat of a fight the opposing fighter doesn't know if someone is out, or how quickly they can recover. You have the benefit of watching a gif over and over. For Holly all of that happened in the blink of an eye. Fighters are taught to fight until the bell or until the ref stops it. It's not a perfect solution by any means, but fighting is a dangerous sport and the fighters know that going in.

cdyhybrid

It's easy to say she was obviously knocked out from your couch after watching the replay 100 times.

Not quite the same if you're in the ring and have the adrenaline pumping. You're trying to finish the fight.

Honestly, if they're not willing to accept the risks they should choose another career. Fighting is inherently dangerous, nothing is going to change that.

NYR

Holly Holm is pure class. Ronda needed some fuel and talked shit for no reason, that is one of the reasons she has so many haters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom