• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.
De-values UFC and her name brand. She is recognizable, as you stated, you are perfect example of that. No one wants to watch a loser and her losIng makes her look bad and thus UFC look bad since they have so much invested in her.

People say stuff like this but I hope they aren't serious about it. UFC is the only show in town for top talent in MMA. Bellator is leaning into theatrics and entertainment more than UFC has done in decades. Every other organization is at best a feeder into the UFC.

They're not hurt at all by one UFC fighter beating another. They'll advert the shit out of the rematch and if Holly wins, they just adjust the PR to make Holly seem untouchable. Just like they've done every other time a seemingly unbeatable champ gets beat (Barao, Faber, Silva, Cain, etc...).

And Ronda thought she could enter the sport of boxing next.

Speaking of boxing... Ronda reminded me of Tyson tonight. All those first round finishes, never went into championship rounds, the controversies surrounding her camp, the less than great shape she's usually in... It all contributes to a magnificent fall.
Holly...amazing focus and impressive technical striking.

Yeah there was some talk about this leading up the fight from some MMA journo's. The parallels to Tyson are kind of striking

MastAndo

Pretty sure Ronda was trying to prove to the world that she could win via standup, which was a silly mistake. Don't box with a boxer when you aren't one.

Much credit to Holly Holm though. She essentially fought the perfect fight she needed to defeat Rousey, and did it convincingly. That was amazing.

6cAYys5.png

Ronda's mom has some pretty beefy forearms and some serious hands.

Her mom is pretty badass at judo.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I wonder how much her schedule is going to change? Before the fight she was saying that UFC 200 would probably be her earliest return date because she was planning on shooting movies during that period. So it definitely seems like she was planning on just steamrolling Holly like she did with every other opponent. But now it's pretty clear that she needs to make some pretty dramatic changes to her game if she's going to be able to compete with Holly.

She's probably going to have a lot more time on her hands now. Lot less offers will becoming her way.

No, she wouldn't have. Holm is a much better technical striker who uses movement. Cyborg runs forward and gets tagged. She almost lost the Gina fight because of it. She got mauled by that kick boxer when she tried to press forward relentlessly.

This is dumb Cyborg would have destroyed Ronda. I agree Cyborg is not as good technically as Holly but, she is a legit really good kick boxer with incredible power. As for that kick boxing match with Jorina Baar( the undefeated kick boxing champion) people keep bringing up you do realize she was not out classed and pretty much almost won it was 48-47 in her third kick boxing fight where as it was Jorina's 36th fight.

She's probably going to have a lot more time on her hands now. Lot less offers will becoming her way.

Yeah to be frank, this doesn't really hurt the UFC at all. They get a huge rematch out of it and there are other stars still like McGregor.

For Rousey though? This loss is devastating to her entire career. Her acting, everything. People were pitching her offers because she was the "it" thing. Not so much anymore.

This is dumb Cyborg would have destroyed Ronda. I agree Cyborg is not as good technically as Holly but, she is a legit really good kick boxer with incredible power. As for that kick boxing match with Jorina Baar( the undefeated kick boxing champion) people keep bringing up you do realize she was not out classed and pretty much almost won it was 48-47 in her third kick boxing fight where as it was Jorina's 36th fight.

She did not almost win that fight regardless of the scorecards. She got tooled all over the place in that fight.

And I guarantee that Ronda wouldn't have tried to stand and trade with Cyborg, who is a hell of a lot stronger than Holm is.

paskowitz

Just as a casual observer, one of the first things I noticed was the difference in physic between Holm and Rousey. Rousey looked rather soft compared to what I have seen of her in the past. Holm on the other hand looked like a freeclimber. She had muscle definition in every group and in general, looked like she was in much better shape.

Yeah to be frank, this doesn't really hurt the UFC at all. They get a huge rematch out of it and there are other stars still like McGregor.

For Rousey though? This loss is devastating to her entire career. Her acting, everything. People were pitching her offers because she was the "it" thing. Not so much anymore.

ANd I think that's why she has to come back, if she doesn't her rep could be dead.

Rousey got wrecked and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person. She talks like she has game like Floyd but unlike Floyd she can't back up her shit. Good stuff from Holm, it wasn't even a close fight.

D i Z

How about in a stunning twist, Ronda swallows her pride and goes to work with Floyd on boxing and footwork. Rocky 3 style. The Mayweathers "teach her to fight like a colored fighter."

That would print money across all media.

Not true, there were quite a number of times I was worried about Holm's hands, since Ronda kept slamming her face into them over and over again.

I said GODDAMN!!!!

Rousey got wrecked and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person. She talks like she has game like Floyd but unlike Floyd she can't back up her shit. Good stuff from Holm, it wasn't even a close fight.

Not true, there were quite a number of times I was worried about Holm's hands, since Ronda kept slamming her face into them over and over again.

KingBroly

Banned
I'd like to think Ronda goes to a different trainer and starts fixing some of her problems before a rematch. Dunno if she'll do that, though.

Ronda should definitely wear those "Do Nothing Bitch" shirts now.

Please. I get that many of you are excited that an arrogant person like Rousey got humiliated tonight, but let's not be ridiculous. She makes her living getting in a cage and fighting people. Most people don't have the guts to do that. She's the opposite of a DNB.

My hope is that she takes this serving of humble pie and comes back stronger for it. I look forward to her rematch with Holm. It became glaringly obvious tonight that Rousey's striking is leagues behind Holms' skill level, but she's still a very dangerous grappler. I think we have a potentially great rivalry here.

Please. I get that many of you are excited that an arrogant person like Rousey got humiliated tonight, but let's not be ridiculous. She makes her living getting in a cage and fighting people. Most people don't have the guts to do that. She's the opposite of a DNB.

My hope is that she takes this serving of humble pie and comes back stronger for it. I look forward to her rematch with Holm. It became glaringly obvious tonight that Rousey's striking is leagues behind Holms' skill level, but she's still a very dangerous grappler. I think we have a potentially great rivalry here.

No, she should wear a "Do Nothing Bitch" shirt because bitch did nothing in that fight.

Mory Dunz

Hm, she probably will still get all the offers imo. Movies, interviews, whatever.

The thing is, if she lost to someone who talked even more trash than her, had a bigger "personality" than her, was a hype machine like her, and was more attractive than her (I don't find either good, but people appearently think Ronda looks good which has added to her fame a little), then all the companies and sponsorships would be jumping all over Holly. Cause that's what they want.

But as it stands, holly is likely still seen as "boring" despite winning, from a marketing standpoint. So Rousey will still be the go-to face for women's mma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom