• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.
ygkfouxr5u.gif
SMOKEY

Hm, she probably will still get all the offers imo. Movies, interviews, whatever.

The thing is, if she lost to someone who talked even more trash than her, had a bigger "personality" than her, was a hype machine like her, and was more attractive than her (I don't find either good, but people appearently think Ronda looks good which has added to her fame a little), then all the companies and sponsorships would be jumping all over Holly. Cause that's what they want.

But as it stands, holly is likely still seen as "boring" despite winning, from a marketing standpoint. So Rousey will still be the go-to face for women's mma.

I doubt she's going to get a flood of new movie offers after this. She's terrible at it. She was getting the offers because she was the "it" girl.

If UFC are smart they do Ronda vs Holm 2 for the buy rate and then have Meisha face the winner since she is the 2nd most popular fighter in Womens MMA

KissVibes

Banned
If I was one of the producers on 'Road House' and 'Mile 22' I'd be looking for a way to drop Rousey immediately. Her acting ability is fucking non-existing like her striking, so now that people are going to be doing a complete 180 on her after this fight, her brand is significantly tarnished.

Man, either holly improved by leaps and bounds or ronda is the worst striker ever. Holly looked awful prior to this fight.

She didn't though. You could tell Holly was skilled. Her earlier fights might not have been exciting, but she won those matches easily. The only difference between those fights and this one was the fact that the other girls at least made an effort to freakin' dodge a punch. Rousey's head never went off the center plain, her gloves were never up and she kept walking into punches like an idiot. It was easy pickings for Holly.

MastAndo

Please. I get that many of you are excited that an arrogant person like Rousey got humiliated tonight, but let's not be ridiculous. She makes her living getting in a cage and fighting people. Most people don't have the guts to do that. She's the opposite of a DNB.

My hope is that she takes this serving of humble pie and comes back stronger for it. I look forward to her rematch with Holm. It became glaringly obvious tonight that Rousey's striking is leagues behind Holms' skill level, but she's still a very dangerous grappler. I think we have a potentially great rivalry here.

Holm basically fought a perfect fight, and upon second viewing I'm even more impressed. She picked apart the greatest female fighter in history and made her look like an amateur. It was a clinic. That said, I do believe part of that was Rousey trying to beat Holly at her own game and she paid dearly for it. Holm did stuff a toss attempt and even took Ronda down once, but it was pretty clear Ronda was hell-bent on going toe to toe with Holm. If she scraps that idea in a rematch and just plays to her strengths, I would image a second fight could turn out much differently.

Yeah to be frank, this doesn't really hurt the UFC at all. They get a huge rematch out of it and there are other stars still like McGregor.

For Rousey though? This loss is devastating to her entire career. Her acting, everything. People were pitching her offers because she was the "it" thing. Not so much anymore.

I wouldn't say devastating. Isn't she already signed on to do a Roadhouse remake? She'll be fine if she can make a creditable comeback or one of her next round of movies does well. But, yes, a run of bad luck from now onwards and she could fade away much quicker than anyone thought.

Mory Dunz

I doubt she's going to get a flood of new movie offers after this. She's terrible at it. She was getting the offers because she was the "it" girl.

If UFC are smart they do Ronda vs Holm 2 for the buy rate and then have Meisha face the winner since she is the 2nd most popular fighter in Womens MMA

Maybe not immediately, but after some time she might.
I agree that's she's taken a hit. But the person who beat her most likely won't take the crown of "it" girl. And you mentioned Tate, but she's not really mainstream.

Hm, it'll be interesting.
Maybe there just won't be an it girl.

Carano got movie offers even after losing to Cyborg (honestly she didn't start getting until she lost).

Then again Carano is much more attractive and while she isn't a great actress she's much better than Ronda.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, your PAGE ONE WINNERS:

#3:
Holly has legit credentials from outside the ufc. She will be the best striker she has faced.

Bold prediction time:

The fight will end in under a minute... With Ronda rushing in and getting clipped.

Petruzelli'd

And your THREAD CHAMPION:

Well they don't really have a choice when Ronda destroyed everyone #1-8 except Nunes. The division is a joke but Holm definitely has the most marketability, tools, and skills out of all these other women.

There are many ways this fight can go down unlike her other fights.

1. Ronda gets the submission in under a minute.

2. Ronda KO's a pro boxer with some ugly shot and her popularity skyrockets even more to an unbearable point.

3. Holm who actually has some striking prowess unlike all of Rousey's previous opponents picks her apart for 5 rounds with body shots and tepid jabs to win a split decision.

Holly_Holm_vs._Allanna_Jones_2_medium.gif

thus killing women's MMA and Ronda's career

Congratulations to VoxPop!

Maybe not immediately, but after some time she might.
I agree that's she's taken a hit. But the person who beat her most likely won't take the crown of "it" girl. And you mentioned Tate, but she's not really mainstream.

Hm, it'll be interesting.
Maybe there just won't be an it girl.

I'm not sure some people realize how many fans Meisha has.

1.5 million Followers on her Official Fan page on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/mieshatatefanpage/

She is BY FAR the 2nd most popular women's MMA fighter.

Holm basically fought a perfect fight, and upon second viewing I'm even more impressed. She picked apart the greatest female fighter in history and made her look like an amateur. It was a clinic. That said, I do believe part of that was Rousey trying to beat Holly at her own game and she paid dearly for it. Holm did stuff a toss attempt and even took Ronda down once, but it was pretty clear Ronda was hell-bent on going toe to toe with Holm. If she scraps that idea in a rematch and just plays to her strengths, I would image a second fight could turn out much differently.
I rewatched it as well, and it looks like Ronda got seriously rocked midway through the first round. I think she would've had more success standing in front of Holly if she... stood in front of her instead of chasing her wildly. In Holly's previous UFC fights, she didn't inflict much damage on her opponents at all, choosing to score points and be elusive. Rousey gave her easy counter punching opportunities by chasing after her... a few good shots, and Rousey became even less elusive.

great night. ronda dethroned in spectacular fashion (and over the course of 6 minutes so we get to enjoy it) and hunto wins without incurring much damage.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I want to know how much money VoxPop made as he is a betting man and has been known to bet the house on ocassion.

tkscz

She's a woman, so I think it comes off as empowering?

Holly is also a woman, and she seems way more humble (unless she has tweets or something disproving that), she seems empowering. Also, I never understood how being arrogant is the same as empowering. Arrogant is crossing the line of confidence, confidence I can see being empowering.

My thoughts exactly. And that's why I think it could be such a good rivalry. Holms is a super dangerous striker, and Rousey is a super dangerous grappler. A rematch where Rousey has a gameplan that doesn't include trying to outbox a world champion boxer would be great to watch.

So since GAF apparently wanted Ronda to lose who else does GAF want to lose like that? I'm curious.

Rousey got harder and harder to get behind. I was a fan of hers in the beginning, but she just became way too obnoxious and disrepectful to root for.

Not touching gloves?

Taking cheap shot on Holly after the first round bell clearly rang?

gtfo

Eh.. Meisha is the second most well known to the general public. I don't know that that necessarily makes her popular. J.J. will be well known after tonight and you'll see a few others get more shine if they continue winning (Paige Van Zant and Rose Namajunas).

zewone

Holly is also a woman, and she seems way more humble (unless she has tweets or something disproving that), she seems empowering. Also, I never understood how being arrogant is the same as empowering. Arrogant is crossing the line of confidence, confidence I can see being empowering.
I'm not saying it is, but I'm also not a women.

Plenty of women have considered her an empowering figure though.

http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-193-ronda-rousey-inpsired-young-girls-begin-revolution?id=

http://empowering.hearst.co.uk/be-inspired/6-reasons-to-love-ronda-rousey/

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ronda-rousey-ufc-sxsw-women-s-empowerment-gender-barriers-031615

Eh.. Meisha is the second most well known to the general public. I don't know that that necessarily makes her popular. J.J. will be well known after tonight and you'll see a few others get more shine if they continue winning (Paige Van Zant and Rose Namajunas).

Neither of those fighters are in the same stratosphere as Meisha in popularity.

Like not even remotely close.

I'd say most are waiting for Conor McGregor to go down in similar fashion.

McGregor needs to lose because he reminds me of my neckbeard hipster coworker who think he's the best thing since toasted bread with honey butter.

In the beginning Ronda was confident and people loved it especially in comparison to many of the women she was facing who were talking trash and saying all kinds of crazy shit being completely disrespectful during weigh ins, etc. But as she racked up wins she became more and more arrogant and literally became just like the chicks she previously beat. She started buying into her own hype of being unbeatable.

holm has theconditioning to do 20 rounds of her pitter patter point karate mcdojo bullshit, but I doubt she'll look fresh after a round or two of grappling with Ronda. she's shown nothing in all of her ufc appearances so far, and her only knockouts and TKOs have been to the canniest cans I've ever seen. I do hope she proves me wrong, though cuz fuck dana and fuck the police

lol

Mory Dunz

I agree that's pretty high.
Will she (or does she already) get called for intervews with Jimmy Fallons, etc, commercials, movies though? I don't follow mma much so I'm asking

That's what I more meant by mainstream. Now will Ronda get that stuff/promotion after this rekt session? I'm not positive, but I say she has more of a chance.

Revisionist history.

She squeaked out a split decision victory against a TUF opponent in February.

You know.. that actually reminds me of Pettis, who everyone lauded as amazing because of his two fights with Bendo... and they convienently forgot about his less than stellar performances against Clay Guida and Jeremy Stephens.

My thoughts exactly. And that's why I think it could be such a good rivalry. Holms is a super dangerous striker, and Rousey is a super dangerous grappler. A rematch where Rousey has a gameplan that doesn't include trying to outbox a world champion boxer would be great to watch.

I don't get this thought process. Ronda absolutely tried to take her down multiple times. She even got her down once and Holm escaped and then took her down. Ronda tried to clinch. She tried takedowns. Holly either stuffed the takedowns/throws, or she made Ronda pay for trying to clinch and circled away. Ronda tried to grapple Holly. She failed.

Neither of those fighters are in the same stratosphere as Meisha in popularity.

Like not even remotely close.

I didn't say they are currently. They're also not in the same division as Ronda or Meisha. But they will continue to gain popularity as they win and they don't carry the reputation baggage that Meisha has within the sport.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You know.. that actually reminds me of Pettis, who everyone lauded as amazing because of his two fights with Bendo... and they convienently forgot about his less than stellar performances against Clay Guida and Jeremy Stephens.
We just gonna ignore his wins against Gilbert, Cerrone and Lauzon?

I agree that's pretty high.
Will she (or does she already) get called for intervews with Jimmy Fallons, etc, commercials, movies though? I don't follow mma much so I'm asking

That's what I more meant by mainstream. Now will Ronda get that stuff/promotion after this rekt session? I'm not positive, but I say she has more of a chance.

Oh I'm not saying Meisha is on Ronda's level of popularity. No way. Ronda broke the "Sports" and "Fighting" barriers. She is a legit celebrity.

I'm just saying besides Ronda Meisha is the next biggest thing. That's why she should get the winner of Ronda vs Holm 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom