• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mory Dunz

Sheesh,
I don't know if it was her camp, or the media doing it, but it was an (annoying) marketing machine.

Oh I'm not saying Meisha is on Ronda's level of popularity. No way. Ronda broke the "Sports" and "Fighting" barriers. She is a legit celebrity.

I'm just saying besides Ronda Meisha is the next biggest thing. That's why she should get the winner of Ronda vs Holm 2

got it.

I don't get this thought process. Ronda absolutely tried to take her down multiple times. She even got her down once and Holm escaped and then took her down. Ronda tried to clinch. She tried takedowns. Holly either stuffed the takedowns/throws, or she made Ronda pay for trying to clinch and circled away. Ronda tried to grapple Holly. She failed.

I'm with you. Ronda did try, it didn't work. She was at a loss and you could tell she was desperate. I kinda felt bad for her after that wiff, that was humiliating. Along with watching her chasing after Holly flailing about hitting nothing but air, just sad.

You know.. that actually reminds me of Pettis, who everyone lauded as amazing because of his two fights with Bendo... and they convienently forgot about his less than stellar performances against Clay Guida and Jeremy Stephens.

Pettis has had more impressive than unimpressive performances. Bendo (twice), Cerrone, Lauzon, Gilbert. Pettis struggles against a specific type of fighter, but he absolutely deserves to be lauded.

Turin

Banned
Revisionist history.

She squeaked out a split decision victory against a TUF opponent in February.

And Cassius Clay squeaked by Doug Jones before the Liston fight.

Now hold on. I'm not saying she's the next goat. My point is you have to fight the fights. Sometimes there's unexpectedly tough ones.

Maybe she'll flop like Buster Douglas. Maybe not. I think Holly has a good chance to make a name for herself if she keeps working to improve. She's very talented.

Could you imagine a rematch scenario where Rousey submits Holm and wins?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for days. A trilogy would make stupid amounts of money.

-MD-

Lol you guys actually think holly has a shot in hell?

Oh I'm sorry. THIS will be the massacre in Melbourne.

26924a.gif

zewone

And Cassius Clay squeaked by Doug Jones before the Liston fight.

Now hold on. I'm not saying she's the next goat. My point is you have to fight the fights. Sometimes there's unexpectedly tough ones.

Maybe she'll flop like Buster Douglas. Maybe not. I think Holly has a good chance to make a name for herself if she keeps working to improve. She's very talented.
That would be great if Holm did become the GOAT.

I love watching amazing athletes shine. Which is what initially made me a Ronda fan.

But to say that Holm her previous two fights easily while conveniently forgetting she got a split decision over someone who lost in the TUF house?

I don't get this thought process. Ronda absolutely tried to take her down multiple times. She even got her down once and Holm escaped and then took her down. Ronda tried to clinch. She tried takedowns. Holly either stuffed the takedowns/throws, or she made Ronda pay for trying to clinch and circled away. Ronda tried to grapple Holly. She failed.

Ronda was absolutely determined to strike. She didn't start trying to clinch at all until after she was dumping adrenaline. If she was determined to grapple.. there would've been a lot more calculated attempts than what we saw.

We just gonna ignore his wins against Gilbert, Cerrone and Lauzon?

Lauzon was a good highlight reel kick. Cerrone was in the middle of his Yips phase. Even after those fights, Pettis was still in the bottom half of the top 10 and got leapfrogged up based on his WEC fight with Bendo. Melendez is pretty clearly a middle roader in that division. 2/5 in the UFC and one of those was over Diego the human punching bag. Point is, people hyped Pettis up because he's flashy but he's got holes like everyone else. Holm's win was impressive tonight but she hasn't been Jones/Silva/GSP/etc.. the division.

She doesn't have to, but she's already said in the post-fight presser that she would because if she were in the same position she would want one, and she feels Ronda deserves one after being so dominant for so long.

Yeah both Holm and Dana want the rematch. Its all down to Rousey now.

UFC 200. Book it.

Orca

She tried a handful of times but her focus seemed to be staying on her feet. After she started getting tagged constantly I figured she would go for broke with double legs or something, but she stayed at range and got picked apart.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
"@MMASupremacy: Heard from behind the scenes UFC made it a point to get Holly Holm fully tested by USADA after Rousey fight. Rousey sent to Hosp #mma #ufc"

If Holly comes up positive I'm done with this sport brehs.

Jezbollah

Jesus.

So not only did Rousey lose, it was by headkick KO, it's a KO of gold photoshop material, but she also got a trip to the hospital.

I can only get so erect.

Holly isn't going to test positive. They need to test Ronda cause she was clearly on some shit. I mean what else would explain her insistence on trying to out box a boxer.

Turin

Banned
That would be great if Holm did become the GOAT.

I love watching amazing athletes shine. Which is what initially made me a Ronda fan.

But to say that Holm her previous two fights easily while conveniently forgetting she got a split decision over someone who lost in the TUF house?

Indeed. We'll see what happens.

"@MMASupremacy: Heard from behind the scenes UFC made it a point to get Holly Holm fully tested by USADA after Rousey fight. Rousey sent to Hosp #mma #ufc"

If Holly comes up positive I'm done with this sport brehs.

I highly doubt she would pop positive.

But if so.........my god the fallout would be catastrophic.

DMczaf

No idea why Dana is chasing to discredit Holly.

Wouldn't a Holly Holms positive test destroy the UFC womens division even further?

tkscz

McGregor needs to lose because he reminds me of my neckbeard hipster coworker who think he's the best thing since toasted bread with honey butter.

In the beginning Ronda was confident and people loved it especially in comparison to many of the women she was facing who were talking trash and saying all kinds of crazy shit being completely disrespectful during weigh ins, etc. But as she racked up wins she became more and more arrogant and literally became just like the chicks she previously beat. She started buying into her own hype of being unbeatable.

It sounds like a movie when you look at it like that.

MastAndo

I only saw one failed toss attempt, one take down by Holm (and rather easily at that) and a couple of clinches. I don't see where Rousey tried to take her down multiple times. I sincerely believe she wanted to beat Holm via strikes, just to show that she could. It's most definitely just an opinion based on what I saw, and not to discredit Holm in any way (she was amazing), but I think the grappling/toss attempts that did happen were half-hearted and not really part of her game plan.

zewone

But is she really undefeated?

#AskingQuestions

#Investigating
lol
But the GIFs would live forever, and her brand still tarnished. No amount of drugs in Holly's body would ever explain how shit Ronda was.

However a bunch of drugs in Ronda's body on the other hand...

Yeah, her brand/mystique is done regardless.

I don't think they're actually trying to burn Holm anyways. It's standard procedure now.

I think this loss by Ronda makes what Jon Jones does so much more impressive. He straight up beats people by doing what they are good at and making them look like children at it.

zewone

I think this loss by Ronda makes what Jon Jones does so much more impressive. He straight up beats people by doing what they are good at and making them look like children at it.

Jon Jones is the GOAT.

I can't wait for him to come back and humble the pretender.

It's crazy how arrogant Cormier became with his welfare belt.

I agree that's pretty high.
Will she (or does she already) get called for intervews with Jimmy Fallons, etc, commercials, movies though? I don't follow mma much so I'm asking

That's what I more meant by mainstream. Now will Ronda get that stuff/promotion after this rekt session? I'm not positive, but I say she has more of a chance.

Ronda will be out of the public eye until a rematch is near because no fighter wants to talk about how they got their ass kicked and thats all ay interviewer will want to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom