• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UHD Blu-ray Game Consoles shipped in 2013

482755c4-01d4-4bc6-ac42-8833229a6880.gif

5H393Aj.gif

foltzie1

At this point I would ask Jeff this:

At this point even if we assume that Mr. Penello is for some reason making everything up about the original Xbox One limitations for UHD BR and HDMI support and that the actual limitation is concern about say heat dissipation issues or other performance concerns. . .

So what?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Can you answer some polite questions that may help me understand the Microsoft Xbox PRODUCT PLANNING? And sorry for outing the 2010 Xbox 720 powerpoint a few years ago.
Falling back on something from 6 years to save face is not a good look. I wonder if PowerPoint zune-related by any chance, and "connected the dots."

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
At this point I would ask Jeff this:

At this point even if we assume that Mr. Penello is for some reason making everything up about the original Xbox One limitations for UHD BR and HDMI support and that the actual limitation is concern about say heat dissipation issues or other performance concerns. . .

So what?

Yeah, there's no distinction to make between "The X1 can't support UHD BD" and "The X1 won't support UHD BD" when the premise of the thread is:

Either they will or they won't -- and we have an unequivocal "No" for the X1. The why is tangential at best.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I laughed at Penllo during his pre 8th gen time here on GAF, but i give you mad props for coming in and putting a stop to Jeff's nonsense. Who knows what amount of people have gotten fooled thinking this guy's ramblings were something real. Close enough to MisterX to be concerning

*EDIT* and of course credit to Stinkles for coming out early

c0de

He's actually playing the movie on an original Xbox One just out of shot.

Stinkles updated the bone firmware and the drive firmware all by himself, using the arm tee, black coding and HTML tags to play HDR blurays with the old system.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Guys
in denial
, just lookup that even AMD has confirmed a some time ago that the HDMI in the Xbox One is NOT upgradeable to HDMI 2.0. Period.

https://community.amd.com/thread/193341

Give it a end and deal with it.

I hope you know my post was heavily sarcastic and I'm no way in the Jeff Rigby reality denial/evil company denying us stuff group like the other poster quoted? Just checking!

Guys
in denial
, just lookup that even AMD has confirmed a some time ago that the HDMI in the Xbox One is NOT upgradeable to HDMI 2.0. Period.

https://community.amd.com/thread/193341

Give it a end and deal with it.
Why didn't you post this earlier? This plus Microsoft stating the XB1 is HD in their compliance report I'd consider have more weight.

Anyway, my bad for coming to the conclusion that the 2013 Xb1 could support UHD media. Adam, I'm sorry that I dismissed several of your finds and statements particularly Microsoft labeling the 2013 XB1 as HD in the compliance report. You were correct,

Jinflash, the features in the XB1 match more with the 2010 Leaked Xbox powerpoint than the XB1 Slim does now that we know it's a HD console. The HDMI pass through is only needed till Cable moves to all IPTV which started earlier this year with Comcast saying the infrastructure will be in place by the end of 2017. When Consumers use Cable TV apps (now available on select STBs and TVs) on the XB1 then there is no longer any need for a HDMI pass though from Cable box to TV.

What everyone understands or should understand is that both Microsoft and Sony have always planned to support UHD media and UHD BLu-ray on the XB1 and PS4 as soon as possible. They have departed from the traditional Game Console model and are now offering Apple like feature and power upgrades with new models. Where I went wrong was before this was obvious with the announcement of the Xbox Slim and leaked NEO, Scorpio and PS4 Slim. Many here correctly understood the XB1 Slim was an upgrade to support UHD BLu-ray because the 2013 XB1 couldn't.

Why didn't you post this earlier? This plus Microsoft stating the XB1 is HD in their compliance report I'd consider have more weight.

Anyway, my bad for coming to the conclusion that the 2013 Xb1 could support UHD media. Adam, I'm sorry that I dismissed several of your finds and statements particularly Microsoft labeling the 2013 XB1 as HD in the compliance report. You were correct,

Jinflash, the features in the XB1 match more with the 2010 Leaked Xbox powerpoint than the XB1 Slim does now that we know it's a HD console. The HDMI pass through is only needed till Cable moves to all IPTV which started earlier this year with Comcast saying the infrastructure will be in place by the end of 2017. When Consumers use Cable TV apps (now available on select STBs and TVs) on the XB1 then there is no longer any need for a HDMI pass though from Cable box to TV.

What everyone understands or should understand is that both Microsoft and Sony have always planned to support UHD media and UHD BLu-ray on the XB1 and PS4 as soon as possible. They have departed from the traditional Game Console model and are now offering Apple like feature and power upgrades with new models. Where I went wrong was before this was obvious with the announcement of the Xbox Slim and leaked NEO, Scorpio and PS4 Slim. Many here correctly understood the XB1 Slim was an upgrade to support UHD BLu-ray because the 2013 XB1 couldn't.

Fair Play Jeff,

I think everyone has had a good laugh but you make a good point (can't believe I'm saying this)

This generation is very different to previous now that we're moving to mid gen upgrades - who knows what would have happened if it wasn't for these upgrades.

However, that has been my point all along - technical ability didn't come in to it - there was just no way from a business sense that it would happen.

Who knows if MS or Sony could make it work (understand they can't right now), but if this console was saying put for the next few years without an upgrade they MAY have put more effort and resources to try find a way.

This thread is now officially over for me guys - its been frustrating, its be funny and now we also have the truth and even Jeff saying 'My Bad' This thread had it all and will be remembered in 5 yrs from now

But one more question........ Thats Microsoft so are you saying there is still a chance for the PS4???? lol

so+you're+telling+me+there's+a+chance.jpg

Fair Play Jeff,

I think everyone has had a good laugh but you make a good point (can't believe I'm saying this)

This generation is very different to previous now that we're moving to mid gen upgrades - who knows what would have happened if it wasn't for these upgrades.

However, that has been my point all along - technical ability didn't come in to it - there was just no way from a business sense that it would happen.

Who knows if MS or Sony could make it work (understand they can't right now), but if this console was saying put for the next few years without an upgrade they MAY have put more effort and resources to try find a way.

This thread is now officially over for me guys - its been frustrating, its be funny and now we also have the truth and even Jeff saying 'My Bad' This thread had it all and will be remembered in 5 yrs from now

But one more question........ Thats Microsoft so are you saying there is still a chance for the PS4???? lol

so+you're+telling+me+there's+a+chance.jpg
Yes since the media TEE is in Southbridge. Southbridge is smaller and less complicated than the APU and should have a higher yield and faster turnaround. It should not have needed the lead time the APU would need.

The drive for the PS4 was made by Sony which was supposed to have gotten out of the Blu-Ray drive business before the PS4 launch and Sony has a licence for UHD PC drives which is not needed for Embedded/Game Console.

Does the 2013 or 2015 PS4 support UHD disks?

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/videos/videodisc.html said:
Playback of the following types of discs is not supported.
CD
BD-RE ver.1.0
BD-R/RE XL
This is why it's confusing; Sony says they do not support CD disks here but, Androvsky found that the PS4 manual says it supports CD. CD disks use the DVD laser so Drive software upgrade for this coming too? No BD-RE vers.1 but it supports version 2 same as the PS3 which was upgraded to support this in 2008. No XL support which means it does not support three layer Version 2 disks. BD-RE Version 3 is a 2010 standard that supports XL disks (4 layer) and 3 layer version 2 disks that multiple cites say modern drives support with a firmware update. Ito says the PS4 can't read three layer disks which is now true but with firmware update they may at least support version 2 UHD disks for game media if nothing else.

Apparently Jeff still doesn't understand that the media block (VCE/UVD, H.264/265) is in the AMD GPU (which is part of the APU), not the southbridge.

Mr. Penello, can you please clarify this?

Steven Hawking and Albert Einstein could do the Dragonball Z fusion dance, then categorically deny UHD is coming for 2013 consoles, and somehow this thread would continue on.

Gaenor

Banned
That was quite an entertaining thread, so much so that I will grace it with my first ever post and forever be linked with it.

Colbert

Banned
I hope you know my post was heavily sarcastic and I'm no way in the Jeff Rigby reality denial/evil company denying us stuff group like the other poster quoted? Just checking!

Misinterpretation by me. Sorry!

Jeff, do you want to blame me that your "research" was flawed by not asking AMD about this in the first place or lookup if somebody already did? At least this would be something I would do as my first task if I wanted to proof something instead of derive information "between the lines" from reports doesn't say anything about the actual technology in the consoles.

Edit:
Jeff, just that you understand why I would have asked AMD first:

For UHD HDMI 2.0 is a pre-requirement. So if the technology in the console does not meet that requirement which is the case for OG Xbox One and the PS4 (HDMI 1.4) its not gonna happen to have UHD on such a console even the BluRay drive would be able to play UHD media.

Its a simple check because its on the critical path of the data to be displayed. Normal standard approach to test a hypothesis.

Yes since the media TEE is in Southbridge. Southbridge is smaller and less complicated than the APU and should have a higher yield and faster turnaround. It should not have needed the lead time the APU would need.

The drive for the PS4 was made by Sony which was supposed to have gotten out of the Blu-Ray drive business before the PS4 launch and Sony has a licence for UHD PC drives which is not needed for Embedded/Game Console.

Does the 2013 or 2015 PS4 support UHD disks?

This is why it's confusing; Sony says they do not support CD disks here but, Androvsky found that the PS4 manual says it supports CD. CD disks use the DVD laser so Drive software upgrade for this coming too? No BD-RE vers.1 but it supports version 2 same as the PS3 which was upgraded to support this in 2008. No XL support which means it does not support three layer Version 2 disks. BD-RE Version 3 is a 2010 standard that supports XL disks (4 layer) and 3 layer version 2 disks that multiple cites say modern drives support with a firmware update. Ito says the PS4 can't read three layer disks which is now true but with firmware update they may at least support version 2 UHD disks for game media if nothing else.

What about 8k Jeff?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/7942277634/here-it-comes-japanese-network-begins-8k-broadcasts

Colbert

Banned
Apparently Jeff still doesn't understand that the media block (VCE/UVD, H.264/265) is in the AMD GPU (which is part of the APU), not the southbridge.

Mr. Penello, can you please clarify this?

Actually there are two blocks that handles HDMI in the OG Xbox One. One is in the Southbridge and I would assume it is a HDMI receiver that deals with HDMI In.

Secondly there is something like a HDMI transmitter/controller on the SOC as part of the incorporated "northbridge" that deals with the HDMI out signal. The media block on the GPU itself has nothing to do with the HDMI. I will lookup a picture to illustrate this and attach it to this post.

Actually there are two blocks that handles HDMI in the OG Xbox One. One is in the Southbridge and I would assume it is a HDMI receiver that deals with HDMI In.

Secondly there is something like a HDMI transmitter/controller on the SOC as part of the incorporated "northbridge" that deals with the HDMI out signal. The media block on the GPU itself has nothing to do with the HDMI. I will lookup a picture to illustrate this and attach it to this post.
Yeah, I wasn't talking about the HDMI circuitry though...

Colbert

Banned
Yeah, I wasn't talking about the HDMI circuitry though...

I know, but nonetheless the overview diagram I provided supports your statement that those blocks you referred to are on the SOC and not on the southbridge. I also wanted to point out in my comment what parts referring to pixel output are on the south- and northbridge. Thats why I brought in the HDMI.

This will likely be my final post on the topic. Not because it's not fun, but because at this point I don't think we actually make any progress. I will follow this with great enthusiasm, however.

I won't comment on what Sony can / can't /will / won't / should / shouldn't do. I don't know and I've learned my lesson. If they do it I will be surprised, but it won't be the first time.

For Xbox One, I'll state this. We never discussed UHD Blu-ray when we built the first Xbox One. Internal component designs are spec'd years before the box hits shelves. UHD specs didn't exist, there were no discs to test against, and there was only a vague notion it was coming in the future. So there was no planned obsolescence, no secret components in there that we hid "just in case", nothing of the sort. It wasn't even on our radar. The drive is different, HDMI version is different, and the security is different.

HDCP 2.2 didn't even ship until after we launched - HDCP 2.2 TV's didn't really show up until 2014, and at that point TV manufacturers were also saying that the older sets were not firmware upgradeable. So it seems strange to assume we had the HW in place years before that, and all the testing done, just ready to go, and decided not to unlock it.

You can choose to believe that statement or not. I understand that people are dubious of my claims, fair enough, but I'm not sure how much more clear I could be.

5taquitos

This will likely be my final post on the topic. Not because it's not fun, but because at this point I don't think we actually make any progress. I will follow this with great enthusiasm, however.

I won't comment on what Sony can / can't /will / won't / should / shouldn't do. I don't know and I've learned my lesson. If they do it I will be surprised, but it won't be the first time.

For Xbox One, I'll state this. We never discussed UHD Blu-ray when we built the first Xbox One. Internal component designs are spec'd years before the box hits shelves. UHD specs didn't exist, there were no discs to test against, and there was only a vague notion it was coming in the future. So there was no planned obsolescence, no secret components in there that we hid "just in case", nothing of the sort. It wasn't even on our radar. The drive is different, HDMI version is different, and the security is different.

HDCP 2.2 didn't even ship until after we launched - HDCP 2.2 TV's didn't really show up until 2014, and at that point TV manufacturers were also saying that the older sets were not firmware upgradeable. So it seems strange to assume we had the HW in place years before that, and all the testing done, just ready to go, and decided not to unlock it.

You can choose to believe that statement or not. I understand that people are dubious of my claims, fair enough, but I'm not sure how much more clear I could be.
Lock it up.

Gamezone

Gold Member

Just curious if Microsoft is planning to go multi disc this generation with the lack of UHD support for games? These 50 GB Bluray discs are kinda starting to push the limit.

Top Bottom