• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UHD Blu-ray Game Consoles shipped in 2013

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I should know. I'm not dumb (at least I don't think I am) and I'm wrong all the time. Sometimes even on public gaming forums.

It's cool man, this thread has more than redeemed you IMO :)

Jeff has to get an epic tag out of this one.

c0de

Just like there was no way you were giving up a 30% performance delta? You don't exactly have a reputation for telling the truth, Penello.

Yours,
BradleyLove
Europe

Bish checked, once again.
So no matter what, you won't believe him? I mean, then why do you even care to reply to him?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I'm really not trying to slam anyone or discredit any posters. It's just I was reading this back when it was first posted, and I knew it wasn't correct.

Whenever these changes happen (slim consoles, new features) people who bought the original console can feel left behind. I think most people understand however that technology progresses and so you adopt the latest stuff when you can.

It's worse if they think we are purposely holding some features or performance back from them, which we aren't. And I wasn't exactly going to say "I saw this guy on NeoGaf post and he was all wrong".

So to be perfectly clear, the BD drive in the existing Xbox One console is NOT upgradeable to read UHD discs. We are not withholding that ability from current owners to get people to upgrade. And even then, we don't have the right HDMI version or the correct security in place to output the image.

All of those standards were not complete when our component designs locked in the original console.

You don't get it. You guys knew that so implemented a way to upgrade your HDMI and HDCP to 2.0 and 2.2 respectively. That's impossible you say? Well have this obscure reference to some ARM Trustzone thing and a spec sheet for something completely different.

I'm sure Jeff Rigby is legitimately a genuinely intelligent person and really does think he can uncover non public information but his record of talking borderline conspiracy theory level nonsense to the point of arguing with product creators is worrying. Not as worrying as his lack of respect for people like yourself however and I think you deserve at least the common courtesy of concession to those in the know.

I have a 4K TV, I have an Xbox One. I would love it if the thing could be working 4K but cést la vie.

c0de

You don't get it. You guys knew that so implemented a way to upgrade your HDMI and HDCP to 2.0 and 2.2 respectively. That's impossible you say? Well have this obscure reference to some ARM Trustzone thing and a spec sheet for something completely different.

I'm sure Jeff Rigby is legitimately a genuinely intelligent person and really does think he can uncover non public information but his record of talking borderline conspiracy theory level nonsense to the point of arguing with product creators is worrying. Not as worrying as his lack of respect for people like yourself however and I think you deserve at least the common courtesy of concession to those in the know.

I have a 4K TV, I have an Xbox One. I would love it if the thing could be working 4K but cést la vie.

Jeff is somehow intelligent, sure, but most of the time he just throws words around and doesn't exactly know or understand what they mean.
This is especially apparent as he often is not able to tell people what he actually means. Which is a strong Indicator that he also doesn't know. He combines things sometimes at best are loosely connected to argue for his opinion and benefits from the fact that this is a gaming forum and not a tech forum so most people don't know what he's talking about.

Like I said above, sometimes I'm wrong. You're welcome to view my posts through whatever lens you feel is appropriate.

Lens? Really? What sort of "lens" is this?

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

There's making a mistake which results in being "wrong" and then there's purposely misleading your customers.

As they say in England, "you've got previous, mate" so forgive me for not taking what you say without a large pinch of salt.

I feel queezy even quoting Penello on this as it does not make sense.
Stupid or Penello is making this part up.....

Can you answer some polite questions that may help me understand the Microsoft Xbox PRODUCT PLANNING? And sorry for outing the 2010 Xbox 720 powerpoint a few years ago. .
Polite. Sure. Nice to see you're soldiering through your queasiness, though, Jeff!

Jeff is somehow intelligent, sure, but most of the time he just throws words around and doesn't exactly know or understand what they mean.
This is especially apparent as he often is not able to tell people what he actually means. Which is a strong Indicator that he also doesn't know. He combines things sometimes at best are loosely connected to argue for his opinion and benefits from the fact that this is a gaming forum and not a tech forum so most people don't know what he's talking about.
...and in this case too, it wasn't that he came to an incorrect conclusion. His evidence had borderline-nothing to do with the subject at hand. Far, far, far more concrete evidence that contradicted his assumptions -- from key people at Microsoft and Sony directly addressing these questions, even! -- were dismissed as lies or ignorance. He relied on poor evidence to support a poor conclusion, willingly blinded himself to everything else, and sneered at anyone who disagreed with him. Fundamentally failing to comprehend the difference between fact and speculation, he couldn't even just say that this is why he thinks Ultra HD Blu-ray support is coming to the launch consoles; it absolutely, undeniably is, and if you can't see it, you need to open your eyes.

How many times has he berated people for failing to understand that a firmware update is all it takes to read UHD BD media? How many times has he said the launch Xbox One has all the muscle it needs to decode 100Mbps UHD HEVC encodes? How many times has he said that all the necessary adjustments for HDMI/HDCP can be done with a firmware update?

When I quoted Microsoft's Stacey Spears saying:

The Slim includes a HW HEVC decoder, HDMI 2.0a transmitter with HDCP 2.2 support and a new ROM drive that can read the new 33 GB per layer, and triple layer, UHD BD discs.

There was no HDMI 2.0a transmitter available when the console launched. While we were able to get SW UHD HEVC playback working, it used all of the CPUs on the box to make it happen. They were going to launch UHD Netflix last year with the software decoder, but that was cut due to limited resources after the layoff.

The new HDMI has everything the previous one did and more. The previous drive was a dual layer BD drive, which is what HD BD supports. The triple layer is new to UHD BD. The software HEVC used all of the CPUs and the GPU to function. Now it just uses a HW HEVC decoder, so no CPU or GPU is used. The software could only do Netflix 24p UHD at 15Mbps. It could not handle UHD BD bitrates or framerates at all.

...Jeff says that Stacey is not an engineer (false), making assumptions based on an interview with Phil Spencer (completely false), and is ignorant (!!!). At least now it's incredibly well documented who the ignorant one is.

Lens? Really? What sort of "lens" is this?

There's making a mistake which results in being "wrong" and then there's purposely misleading your customers.

As they say in England, "you've got previous, mate" so forgive me for not taking what you say without a large pinch of salt.

At least Jeff has found an ally in his cause

ViciousDS

Banned
It's funny because I had this exact thread in mind when I answered that question.

5528478b24a6ff278c23c9875ef99202.gif

c0de

Polite. Sure. Nice to see you're soldiering through your queasiness, though, Jeff!

...and in this case too, it wasn't that he came to an incorrect conclusion. His evidence had borderline-nothing to do with the subject at hand. Far, far, far more concrete evidence that contradicted his assumptions -- from key people at Microsoft and Sony directly addressing these questions, even! -- were dismissed as lies or ignorance. He relied on poor evidence to support a poor conclusion, willingly blinded himself to everything else, and sneered at anyone who disagreed with him. Fundamentally failing to comprehend the difference between fact and speculation, he couldn't even just say that this is why he thinks Ultra HD Blu-ray support is coming to the launch consoles; it absolutely, undeniably is, and if you can't see it, you need to open your eyes.

How many times has he berated people for failing to understand that a firmware update is all it takes to read UHD BD media? How many times has he said the launch Xbox One has all the muscle it needs to decode 100Mbps UHD HEVC encodes? How many times has he said that all the necessary adjustments for HDMI/HDCP can be done with a firmware update?

When I quoted Microsoft's Stacey Spears saying:

...Jeff says that Stacey is not an engineer (false), making assumptions based on an interview with Phil Spencer (completely false), and is ignorant (!!!). At least now it's incredibly well documented who the ignorant one is.

I was not only referring to this thread but also to his contributions on other threads and topics. He often just doesn't know what he's talking about.
But sure, you know better in this case and I really appreciate your effort in this thread!

foltzie1

It is such a treat every time this thread bubbles back up to the front page.

I would subscribe, but this isn't really the kind of thread where you subscribe is it?

Find one post where I've ever suggested XB1 supports UHD. Here's a hint: you won't.

But for everyone to take Penello's word as gospel is laughable, given his track record.

I'm sure most here are aware of his PR efforts seeing as they became memez, but this is just one more official voice saying it's not happening, if you're questioning his truthfulness on this subject then you're questioning everyone's.

I'm sure most here are aware of his PR efforts seeing as they became memez, but this is just one more official voice saying it's not happening, if you're questioning his truthfulness on this subject then you're questioning everyone's.

Of course it's not going to happen. It makes no business sense for it to happen. Why add a desirable feature to an old product when you have a new one to sell? That's doesn't mean I can't be sceptical that's it's solely down to "technical reasons".

Colbert

Banned

Of course it's not going to happen. It makes no business sense for it to happen. Why add a desirable feature to an old product when you have a new one to sell? That's doesn't mean I can't be sceptical that's it's solely down to "technical reasons".

Guys
in denial
, just lookup that even AMD has confirmed a some time ago that the HDMI in the Xbox One is NOT upgradeable to HDMI 2.0. Period.

https://community.amd.com/thread/193341

Give it a end and deal with it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Perhaps this legendary thread should be locked, then stickied to the the front page as a warning and reminder to others...

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
It's funny because I had this exact thread in mind when I answered that question.
dead299u6l.gif

Oh god, who sprayed water on jeff?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh boy this is to good.
Btw didn't Jeff have some bets going on?

Jeff and I have an AUD$100 charity bet, yeah. If neither the PS4 nor X1 are updated to support UHD BDs come January 1st, he donates AUD$100 to Child's Play; if they are updated in such a fashion, I donate AUD$100 to Shriners Hospitals for Children; and if one is updated but the other is not, then it's a wash.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
LMAO I love how Jeff stroke his e-penis to boost his credentials throwing the whole 'sorry for leaking..." in his post, he's such a pompous smartass hehe

Can we close this thread now?

No, we can't. You and I don't have the ability to do that, why the hell you people keep posting this shit here and in other threads? Just shush with the thread whining, if it were for you we would have never witnessed such an hilariously amazing turn of events, thank god GAF's mods know their craft just too well to let that happen lol

Top Bottom