• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UHD Blu-ray Game Consoles shipped in 2013

Wiped89

Time to lock the thread.

Albert: thank you very much for coming in here and clearing this up once and for all. I don't know of any other person from any other company, in any other place, who comes to communicate with fans so directly and honestly.

Time to lock the thread.

No way.

Sure, half the issue is resolved. But is the whole issue resolved?

62005472.jpg

Jebusman

Banned
In all fairness to Jeff, as unlikely as it is, Sony is still up in the air here. So while I'm still all for a thread title change, it doesn't really need to be locked.

In all fairness to Jeff, as unlikely as it is, Sony is still up in the air here. So while I'm still all for a thread title change, it doesn't really need to be locked.
Masayasu Ito from Sony already said this isn't happening with the launch PS4 for the exact same reasons Microsoft gave for the Xbox One.

ZOONAMI

Masayasu Ito from Sony already said this isn't happening with the launch PS4 for the exact same reasons Microsoft gave for the Xbox One.

And the neo is coming out soon. Although if it is possible to enable the regular ps4 it would presumably spike uhd bluray sales dramatically, and wouldn't Sony benefit from the licensing?

mitchman

Gold Member
Wasn't there some bet going on in here too, so shouldn't that be settled and confirmed before closing this thread?

And the neo is coming out soon. Although if it is possible to enable the regular ps4 it would presumably spike uhd bluray sales dramatically, and wouldn't Sony benefit from the licensing?

Just like Penello said, the tech wasn't even finalized when both Xbox One and PS4 were under development. OG Xbox One doesn't support UHD, neither will OG PS4.

Gradly

Even if both PS4 and Xbox One were/are able to play UHD BD, I don't think Sony or Microsoft will ever enable that. Both companies have moved on with a new direction and they need more enticing features exclusively for the upcoming new consoles

Yet someone at Microsoft told, I think it was Polygon, that Xbox One would support UHD.
"Update: A representative from Microsoft confirmed to Polygon that Xbox One games will support both native 4K resolution and upscaling to 4K.

SOURCE Major Nelson"

"There's a 4k cable in the box for a reason..." ...for your next xbox purchase.

Just like Penello said, the tech wasn't even finalized when both Xbox One and PS4 were under development. OG Xbox One doesn't support UHD, neither will OG PS4.
How far back do we have to go, what is the lead time needed? Microsoft and Sony are involved in the groups that develop the standards.

HDMI 2: The timings for UHD were known and HDCP2.2 was in ARM phones for Miracast in 2012. If it can be in HARDWARE in 2012 then there is no reason it couldn't be in 2013 Consoles.

Blu-ray drive: Version 2 disks were being discussed in 2010 and the 2010 BD-R specs defined them with BD-RE drives supporting it in 2011.

HEVC: Sony hired software engineers in 2012 and multiple companies had HD versions running on ARM and X-86 CPUs early 2012 with Full UHD versions by the end of 2012. Microsoft published the specs for the 4 hardware blocks for hardware accelerated early 2013 which means they had working versions and knew what was required much earlier. HEVC as a software codec running on a 100X more efficient DSP accelerator was possible. It would be more expensive than the same DSP with dedicated accelerator blocks. AMD implemented UVD6 and VCE3 in 2014 GCN 1.2 dGPUs which supports the full HEVC UHD Codec for media and HEVC HD streaming for games. The 2014 VCE3 hardware codec even made it into the XB1 APU. Other 2014 GPU features made it into the PS4 APU but they chose to not implement the VCE3.

Microsoft firmware updated the 2013 XB1 June 2015 to support HEVC profile 10 for HD media, UHD media would require more than 4 times the processing power and increase the die area and cost of the APU. Is this the reason, $5-$10 more to implement a HEVC Codec?

Best guess was that it was a business decision with cost to implement UHD support on the 2013 XB1 more than waiting till 2016. Did Sony make the same choice? For Sony all Media support occurs in the Southbridge chip as the TEE SoC and they custom produced that as well as made the drive for the PS4.

This will likely be my final post on the topic. Not because it's not fun, but because at this point I don't think we actually make any progress. I will follow this with great enthusiasm, however.

I won't comment on what Sony can / can't /will / won't / should / shouldn't do. I don't know and I've learned my lesson. If they do it I will be surprised, but it won't be the first time.

For Xbox One, I'll state this. We never discussed UHD Blu-ray when we built the first Xbox One. Internal component designs are spec'd years before the box hits shelves. UHD specs didn't exist, there were no discs to test against, and there was only a vague notion it was coming in the future. So there was no planned obsolescence, no secret components in there that we hid "just in case", nothing of the sort. It wasn't even on our radar. The drive is different, HDMI version is different, and the security is different.

HDCP 2.2 didn't even ship until after we launched - HDCP 2.2 TV's didn't really show up until 2014, and at that point TV manufacturers were also saying that the older sets were not firmware upgradeable. So it seems strange to assume we had the HW in place years before that, and all the testing done, just ready to go, and decided not to unlock it.

You can choose to believe that statement or not. I understand that people are dubious of my claims, fair enough, but I'm not sure how much more clear I could be.

What a day.

WHAT A LOVELY DAY!

CR7iHWd.jpg

It's funny because I had this exact thread in mind when I answered that question.
oh

my

god

This thread needs to be stickied at this point.

Also, JaseC needs to post his bank/paypal statements soon.

Best guess was that it was a business decision with cost to implement UHD support on the 2013 XB1 more than waiting till 2016.
Best guess is that you have no clue what you're talking about, and you need to drop it. (Drop it? You never should've picked it up in the first place!) You've been completely wrong about everything.

• You were wrong about the launch Xbox One being engineered to be Ultra HD Blu-ray-ready.
  • You were wrong about the console being able to decode HEVC video on the scale UHD BD demands.
  • You were wrong when you said there is no such thing as HEVC decoding in-hardware.
  • You were wrong about Xtensa doing all of this heavy lifting.
  • You were wrong about it having a dedicated HEVC encoder.
  • You were wrong about the optical drive being able to be updated via firmware.
  • You were wrong about HDMI being able to be updated via firmware.
  • You were wrong about HDCP being able to be updated via firmware.
  • You were wrong about your interpretation of at least some and possibly all of the efficientgaming.eu documents.
  • You were wrong about the many Sony and Microsoft employees you demeaned and disregarded.
  • You were wrong when you said that if a console can play one type of UHD media (say, streaming) that they can handle them all
  • There's no indication that you're correct about Ultra HD support of any kind coming to the launch Xbox One by October, something you stated as fact.
  • There's no indication that you're correct about Sony writing the Blu-ray player for the Xbox One S.
There is no talking point of any consequence that you've even come close to being correct about. That's not even getting into the many individual errors you've made, such as your bulletproof evidence that the PS4 has HDMI 2.0 capabilities being incorrect, your insistence that these consoles' UHD capabilities had been tested by an independent lab when they had not, insisting that the Netflix PS4 app is 1.1 gigs because of the software stack it has to use (it's a 55 meg download, for crying out loud), insisting that Microsoft and Sony get paid per each individual stream on Netflix when that defies all logic and common sense, thinking that Bink is an HEVC package, all your B.S. about Stinkles being open to the possibility of a UHD BD update for the optical drive, etc.

It's fun going back through the thread and reading stuff like this:
Gesh, ADAM, Spears and Ito have been PROVEN to be WRONG!!!!!!!!! when will you accept this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Check for you self and stop using those cites as authorities....they make you appear pitiful.

I really do smile and shake my head at the posts in this thread <grin>.
Who's laughing now?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
oh

my

god

This thread needs to be stickied at this point.

Also, JaseC needs to post his bank/paypal statements soon.

I later clarified that the bet is of a charitable nature. AUD$100 is a fair chunk of change but I'm in no particular need of it. The money would do more good in the pocket of Child's Play than my own.

To be fair, there's still the matter of the "PS4K"/"Neo", but as yet there's really no hard evidence that the PS4 will differ from the X1 vis-a-vis its support of UHD BD and time's-a-tickin' on that front.

c0de

Best guess is that you have no clue what you're talking about, and you need to drop it. (Drop it? You never should've picked it up in the first place!) You've been completely wrong about everything.

• You were wrong about the launch Xbox One being engineered to be Ultra HD Blu-ray-ready.
  • You were wrong about the console being able to decode HEVC video on the scale UHD BD demands.
  • You were wrong when you said there is no such thing as HEVC decoding in-hardware.
  • You were wrong about your interpretation of at least some and possibly all of the efficientgaming.eu documents.
  • You were wrong about the many Sony and Microsoft employees you demeaned and disregarded.
  • You were wrong when you said that if a console can play one type of UHD media (say, streaming) that they can handle them all
  • There's no indication that you're correct about Ultra HD support of any kind coming to the launch Xbox One by October, something you stated as fact.
  • There's no indication that you're correct about Sony writing the Blu-ray player for the Xbox One S.
There is no talking point of any consequence that you've even come close to being correct about. That's not even getting into the many individual errors you've made, such as your bulletproof evidence that the PS4 has HDMI 2.0 capabilities being incorrect, your insistence that these consoles' UHD capabilities had been tested by an independent lab when they had not, insisting that the Netflix PS4 app is 1.1 gigs because of the software stack it has to use (it's a 55 meg download, for crying out loud), insisting that Microsoft and Sony get paid per each individual stream on Netflix when that defies all logic and common sense, thinking that Bink is an HEVC package, all your B.S. about Stinkles being open to the possibility of a UHD BD update for the optical drive, etc.

Who's laughing now?

Wait for firmware 4.0 and when the APIs are ready.

Colbert

Banned
How far back do we have to go, what is the lead time needed? Microsoft and Sony are involved in the groups that develop the standards.

HDMI 2: The timings for UHD were known and HDCP2.2 was in ARM phones for Miracast in 2012. If it can be in HARDWARE in 2012 then there is no reason it couldn't be in 2013 Consoles.

Blu-ray drive: Version 2 disks were being discussed in 2010 and the 2010 BD-R specs defined them with BD-RE drives supporting it in 2011.

HEVC: Sony hired software engineers in 2012 and multiple companies had HD versions running on ARM and X-86 CPUs early 2012 with Full UHD versions by the end of 2012. Microsoft published the specs for the 4 hardware blocks for hardware accelerated early 2013 which means they had working versions and knew what was required much earlier. HEVC as a software codec running on a 100X more efficient DSP accelerator was possible. It would be more expensive than the same DSP with dedicated accelerator blocks. AMD implemented UVD6 and VCE3 in 2014 GCN 1.2 dGPUs which supports the full HEVC UHD Codec for media and HEVC HD streaming for games. The 2014 VCE3 hardware codec even made it into the XB1 APU. Other 2014 GPU features made it into the PS4 APU but they chose to not implement the VCE3.

Microsoft firmware updated the 2013 XB1 June 2015 to support HEVC profile 10 for HD media, UHD media would require more than 4 times the processing power and increase the die area and cost of the APU. Is this the reason, $5-$10 more to implement a HEVC Codec?

Best guess was that it was a business decision with cost to implement UHD support on the 2013 XB1 more than waiting till 2016. Did Sony make the same choice? For Sony all Media support occurs in the Southbridge chip as the TEE SoC and they custom produced that as well as made the drive for the PS4.

Jeff, you completely misses the point. Not everything that is researched/develeoped on makes its way in a mass market product that has to be cheap like a console especially when the standards are not set in stone and the industry has first to adopt it. That not only a business decision, it is a decision about technology that isn't completely ready.

Just stop bragging about that the things you always claimed to be in the consoles are not there and blame Microsoft or Sony for it. It is your mistake that you claimed those things without any real foundation for it. Reading all your comments is like to read a conspiracy theory with all the hints and clues that were around the internet in your opinion. But interesting enough nowhere was confirmed what you have claimed and you totally missed the evidences that contradicted your theories when searching the internet for more clues.

Just stop it and put your energy and passion into something different like: Play some games!

You nailed it!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"Update: A representative from Microsoft confirmed to Polygon that Xbox One games will support both native 4K resolution and upscaling to 4K.

SOURCE Major Nelson"

"There's a 4k cable in the box for a reason..." ...for your next xbox purchase.

I mean...

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/23/4359450/xbox-one-will-support-4k-output-resolution-and-3d

Mehdi also revealed the console will support 4K for Blu-ray at launch, with the possibility of games and other content being available at 4K in the future if they are rendered at that resolution.

"There's no hardware restriction there at all," he said.

o_O

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Jeff's been referencing that quote for ages now. I mean, it's even been brought up repeatedly in the past couple of pages before you quoted it.

Mehdi also said:

Nope!

Nope!

The guy's word isn't exactly gospel.

Ok, what is your point? It only proves there is a history of lying from their Xbox division this gen. Which in turn, could still be a lie till this day to intentionally not allow it.

Why say something so cemented with not even the MSFT style vagueness, if they knew it was not true from the very beginning?

Either way, it does not matter in reality, since the OG will not get the support, but with this kind of history, I am inclined not to believe anything anymore. Especially when Larry Hryb even doubled down with it. It wasn't just 'that guy'.

Ok, what is your point?
That this quote is evidence of nothing aside from the fact that Yusuf Mehdi has a tendency to put his foot in his mouth. I don't think anyone was lying. Misplaced optimism/misunderstanding would be more likely. If it were a deliberate attempt to deceive/mislead, it wouldn't be limited to that single Polygon article from 2013.

JaseC

Ok, what is your point? It only proves there is a history of lying from their Xbox division this gen. Which in turn, could still be a lie till this day to intentionally not allow it.

You're coming at this from a somewhat incorrect angle. The X1 can technically support a 4K video output -- but only at 24Hz -- and 4K Blu-ray and UHD BD are not synonymous.

Did not even know that was a thing. Pretty neat. Do those work on regular Blu-ray players, or you need a UHD one?
They're regular ol' Blu-ray discs. The presentations are mastered in 4K but are still 1080p on BD. It's not all that uncommon. Even under-the-radar movies like Maniac Cop III: Badge of Silence from 1993 was remastered in 4K for Blu-ray.

Ahhh, so what 'presentation in 4K' is it? Like what constitutes that (the advantages) over a regular 1080p BD?
Oversampling. No one really masters directly to 1080p anymore. With few exceptions, it's all done in at least 2K. Sometimes it'll be a mix of things, like scanning at 4K to produce a 2K master.

Basically, it means they have a 4K master they can use for whatever purpose they want (archiving for a future UHD BD release, UHD streaming, etc.), and they're downscaling for Blu-ray.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oversampling. No one really masters directly to 1080p anymore. With few exceptions, it's all done in at least 2K.

Basically, it means they have a 4K master they can use for whatever purpose they want (archiving for a future UHD BD release, UHD streaming, etc.), and they're downscaling for Blu-ray.

Got it.

Now I can see where I got confused with all the 'patchwork 4K' until UHD came out. Thanks for clearing that up guys.

JaseC

Oversampling. No one really masters directly to 1080p anymore. With few exceptions, it's all done in at least 2K. Sometimes it'll be a mix of things, like scanning at 4K to produce a 2K master.

Yeah, they're not "real" 4K releases. While Mehdi was playing silly buggers with the truth, to be sure, his comments don't invalidate Penello's more recent statements on the matter of UHD BD support.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, they're not "real" 4K releases. While Mehdi was playing silly buggers with the truth, to be sure, his comments don't invalidate Penello's more recent statements on the matter of UHD BD support.

So pretty much there is no label, or separate BD to buy for this, it is the same BD, just that most movies moving forward will be shot in 4K, thus the regular Blu-ray will be downsampled, versus years ago being shot in 1080p?

JaseC

So pretty much there is no label, or separate BD to buy for this, it is the same BD, just that most movies moving forward will be shot in 4K, thus the regular Blu-ray will be downsampled, versus years ago being shot in 1080p?

The short of it is that these "4K masters" are just Sony, Warner Bros., etc. taking advantage of the fact that the films in question were shot on a medium that supports 4K resolution and using this as a marketing bullet point to sell "premium" 1080p releases.

This will likely be my final post on the topic. Not because it's not fun, but because at this point I don't think we actually make any progress. I will follow this with great enthusiasm, however.

I won't comment on what Sony can / can't /will / won't / should / shouldn't do. I don't know and I've learned my lesson. If they do it I will be surprised, but it won't be the first time.

For Xbox One, I'll state this. We never discussed UHD Blu-ray when we built the first Xbox One. Internal component designs are spec'd years before the box hits shelves. UHD specs didn't exist, there were no discs to test against, and there was only a vague notion it was coming in the future. So there was no planned obsolescence, no secret components in there that we hid "just in case", nothing of the sort. It wasn't even on our radar. The drive is different, HDMI version is different, and the security is different.

HDCP 2.2 didn't even ship until after we launched - HDCP 2.2 TV's didn't really show up until 2014, and at that point TV manufacturers were also saying that the older sets were not firmware upgradeable. So it seems strange to assume we had the HW in place years before that, and all the testing done, just ready to go, and decided not to unlock it.

You can choose to believe that statement or not. I understand that people are dubious of my claims, fair enough, but I'm not sure how much more clear I could be.

Interesting. Thanks for the information. The bolded was my main sticking point reading through the thread. If they had this capability at launch, why not just say it? It would be a great selling point.

NewDust

Not entirely true... They are also mastered in xvYCC color space, wider than standard color spaces. But since you would have to calibrate your screen different for normal blu-ray and "mastered in 4k" (and have your screen support these wider color space) it is essentially unusable for critical viewing.

And UHD material is using rec. 2020.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not entirely true... They are also mastered in xvYCC color space, wider than standard color spaces. But since you would have to calibrate your screen different for normal blu-ray and "mastered in 4k" (and have your screen support these wider color space) it is essentially unusable for critical viewing.

And UHD material is using rec. 2020.

Got it. Do not plan on getting any of these anyway. Even though my TV can support almost unlimited presets, I am not going to waste my time.

I have been very, very select on which BD I purchase now, unlike last year where I would get a lot. Mostly stream, and looking to get UHD for select ones in the future.

19:35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5LrEgXHUl0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

“Ye! We are really excited about that too. I am sure your audience knows that 4K is the next big thing. Xbox One is a home entertainment system that is built for future. It supports 4K gaming and entertainment. In fact we are shipping an HDMI cable that is 4K rated. So when you get your HDMI cable out of the box it is 4K rated. We are looking forward to bringing 4K capabilities to our consumers in the future, but it depends on the developers,” he added.

Major, I'll take a free Gears slim as an apology. ;)

Not all that many movies have been shot in 1080p. There was a window where that definitely happened, but that was outmoded pretty quickly.

If it's on film, that sort of resolution doesn't really apply. It depends on how you scan and master those elements digitally. Plenty of movies are shot digitally at high resolutions (4K, 5K, 6K, etc.) and still mastered at 2K. It's easier, faster, and cheaper, especially when dealing with a bunch of visual effects.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not all that many movies have been shot in 1080p. There was a window where that definitely happened, but that was outmoded pretty quickly.

If it's on film, that sort of resolution doesn't really apply. It depends on how you scan and master those elements digitally. Plenty of movies are shot digitally at high resolutions (4K, 5K, 6K, etc.) and still mastered at 2K. It's easier, faster, and cheaper, especially when dealing with a bunch of visual effects.

That makes sense, thanks.

Colbert

Banned
&#8220;Ye! We are really excited about that too. I am sure your audience knows that 4K is the next big thing. Xbox One is a home entertainment system that is built for future. It supports 4K gaming and entertainment. In fact we are shipping an HDMI cable that is 4K rated. So when you get your HDMI cable out of the box it is 4K rated. We are looking forward to bringing 4K capabilities to our consumers in the future, but it depends on the developers,&#8221; he added.

Ms just did what they promised with the release of the Xbox One S. The developers wanted a copy protection standard (HDCP 2.2) for their 4K streaming apps. Wasn't supported by the original Xbox One hardware because of HDMI 1.4a!

As a result MS decided to to make a new SKU to support the requirements of the developers/industry which are HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2.

Top Bottom