• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Boxed Charts: Launch sales for Star Wars Outlaws are 55% lower than those of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Update2 (digital + physical):

Update:

Here's a look at this week's top 40 in full, with platform breakdowns for all of the titles available on other consoles alongside the Switch:

Last Week​
This Week​
Game​
Platform Split​
NEW1Star Wars Outlaws
112Hogwarts LegacySwitch 43%, PS5 25%, PS4 23%, Xbox 6%
-3Elden Ring
-4Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
15EA Sports FC 24Switch 33%, PS4 30%, PS5 27%, Xbox 9%
26Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
37Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
108Marvel's Spider-Man 2
99Minecraft
2210DC Justice League: Cosmic ChaosPS4 40%, PS5 35%, Switch 23%, Xbox 2%
611Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree Edition
1212Animal Crossing: New Horizons
913The Witcher III: Wild Hunt GOTY EditionPC 62%, PS4 36%, Xbox 2%
-14Visions of ManaPS5 82%, Xbox 13%, PS4 6%
1315Super Mario Bros. Wonder
2016WWE 2K24
1517Nintendo Switch Sports
1618Grand Theft Auto V
2119The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Complete Edition
-20Bluey: The VideogameSwitch 80%, PS5 10%, PS4 8%, Xbox 2%
-21Mad Max
NEW22Emio: The Smiling Man Famicom Detective Club
1923Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
2324Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III
3425The Last of Us Part II: Remastered
-26Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
3027Gran Turismo 7
2528God of War Ragnarok
-29Cyberpunk 2077
2430Hitman: World of Assassination
-31Batman: Arkham Knight
-32Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
3233WreckfestPS5 98%, Switch 2%
634Mafia Trilogy
2935Sonic Superstars
3736Transformers BattlegroundsSwitch 98%, PS4 2%
-37Batman Arkham Collection
3638Pokémon Violet
3339The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
3540Mario Party Superstars

[Sales Data Compiled by GfK]

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Armored Core VI :messenger_ok:

Also the state of those Xbox %s, either those games are on GamePass or Xbox has completely fallen off a cliff in the UK.

Well, this is a physical chart and anywhere around 50% of the userbase is DIGITAL only without a choice. Then you have the standard percentage getting digital on XSX.

The most interesting thing I see on this chart and again it's only physical, is what a bomb Visions of Mana is. And despite this being physical only, I think it also reflects the naiviety that Xbox releases are somehow going to save Square Enix.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I imagine they made a lot of money from Uplay+ tho, I know a lot of ppl went that route instead. Ubisoft has always made more money from actual subs and microtransactions than full game sales, it's why they keep adding MTX in singleplayer games. Not defending them, but from a business pov, it works for them.

Novaex

Neo Member
Looks like another Ubisoft game that underperformed. Also fits with Ubisoft's stock tanking over 7% since release of the game.
Also crazy that they lost 65% of their value in the last 5 years. Ubisoft has become the symbol for mediocrity and with each new game they prove that again.

Jaybe

Huge failure for Star Wars Outlaws.

Outlaws sales are 55% lower than Jedi Survivor.
Jedi Survivor sales were 35% lower than Jedi Fallen Order.
Star Wars as an IP has tanked

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is this week's UK boxed No.1, and the second biggest game launch of the year.

However, the game's opening week's sales are 35% lower than what its predecessor, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, managed. This chart is only boxed sales, and although Fallen Order was only released in 2019, digital accelerated quite a bit during the pandemic. Therefore, the comparison may not be quite so negative when the full data is in later in the week.

Hogwarts LegacySwitch 43%, PS5 25%, PS$4 23%, Xbox 6%

Never expected this to perform better on Playstation platforms based on physical media alone tbh.

That said...i feel like this decade we have to much stuff flopping, it's kinda crazy.

I feel like the market is stuck with free to play stuff, the same franchises over and over and not much more happening. Hogwarts is a crazy result but the game is like a year and half. The Witcher 3 was just top 10 last week.

This shows two things: People buy physical media for at least the most established franchises or when there's a huge sale. (Armored Core, etc).

I would love to know how much that #40 actually sold. I have a feeling most of GAF would be surprised. by how low it actually is.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Looks like another Ubisoft game that underperformed. Also fits with Ubisoft's stock tanking over 7% since release of the game.
Also crazy that they lost 65% of their value in the last 5 years. Ubisoft has become the symbol for mediocrity and with each new game they prove that again.

It's unbelievable what a risk these licensed games are.

A lot of people rag on Microsoft for turning Marvel down and similarly don't give enough credit for Sony not only saying yes to Marvel and Spider-Man, but giving Insomniac the resources to make it. They're taking a massive risk in doubling down on Wolverine.

I think the industry may go through a period where we see a reset as it relates to licensed IP.

If the next Assassin's Creed bombs, it's going to be REALLY bad for ubisoft and probably the industry as a whole.

geary

SW: Outlaws is a new IP, while SW: Survivor is a sequel for a well received game from a respectable developer in the industry. Not to mention different genres.
Apples and Oranges...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Regardless of how it winds up selling at launch, it hit number one.

I don’t think physical sales are any kind of useful barometer either since it’s slowly dying to digital.

Also the state of those Xbox %s, either those games are on GamePass or Xbox has completely fallen off a cliff in the UK.

Don't most Xbox discs just have a small launcher that downloads the game anyway? I'm pretty sure the last couple of games I bought, one of them might have been Halo Infinite, just had a 100 MB launcher. It's why I stopped buying physical Xbox Series X games over 18 months ago, although I no longer subscribe to GamePass either as I cancelled that back in May. I'll be buying the new Indiana Jones games on Steam for my PC.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

The people who are actually playing the game seem to be mostly liking it based on the other Outlaws threads. I think positive word of mouth will end up resulting in decent sales even if they aren’t stellar.

Don't most Xbox discs just have a small launcher that downloads the game anyway? I'm pretty the last couple of games I bought, one of them might have been Halo Infinite, just had a 100 MB launcher. It's why I stopped buying physical Xbox Series X games over 18 months ago, although I no longer subscribe to GamePass either as I cancelled that back in May. I'll be buying the new Indiana Jones games on Steam for my PC.

If true then that’s f***ing dire for preservation.

I don’t mind day 1 patches for minor issues, but for there to be nothing playable on the disc is ridiculous.

If true then that’s f***ing dire for preservation.

I don’t mind day 1 patches for minor issues, but for there to be nothing playable on the disc is ridiculous.

Some Xbox Series X games I have bought have just shipped in a plastic case with a code and no disc. Assassin's Creed: Dawn of Ragnarok for example. What a waste of packaging that was.

Woopah

SE were probably hoping Switch 2 would be out in time for VoM. Would have helped a lot but maybe not enough to save the team.

I'm sure that Outlaws will soft-flop, but my god Dring is firmly at the Clown territory now. Not his first mishap with data.
Dring doesn't actually work on the data. GfK does that I believe.
Hogwarts LegacySwitch 43%, PS5 25%, PS$4 23%, Xbox 6%

Never expected this to perform better on Playstation platforms based on physical media alone tbh.
Why not?
SW: Outlaws is a new IP, while SW: Survivor is a sequel for a well received game from a respectable developer in the industry. Not to mention different genres.
Apples and Oranges...
It's a new franchise but it's not a new IP.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Considering outlaws had the largest marketing budget in Ubisoft history.... Uh oh. Skull & Bones, Avatar, Xdefiant, this... Ubisoft are in a very bad place. If AC Shadows doesn't perform...
I Hope So Nat Geo GIF by National Geographic Channel

Worst publisher in the industry by far, they make EA seem downright innovative in comparison. Be glad to see the back of em.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I imagine they made a lot of money from Uplay+ tho, I know a lot of ppl went that route instead. Ubisoft has always made more money from actual subs and microtransactions than full game sales, it's why they keep adding MTX in singleplayer games. Not defending them, but from a business pov, it works for them.
You could also get Jedi Survivor day 1 on ea play pro.

Roberts

We just dont buy physical copies anymore. From my experience: all my xbox friends have moved to digital 6-7 years ago while my ps bros still occassionally buy discs. Have no clue why it happens.

DaGwaphics

We'll see what the final numbers are. It doesn't seem unreasonable to think that the sequel of a generally well liked game did bigger numbers than a completely new entry. Especially given the buzz around Outlaws hasn't been flawless.

Roufianos

Lol when are people finally going to realise that UK physical sales mean absolutely nothing. The country is 65 percent digital and is growing every year.
Does your majesty have any information to share with us stupid peasants which might indicate that Outlaws will have a higher digital attach rate than Jedi Survivor?

avin

Can the people making these posts perhaps also use retrospective data for other games to give us some idea of whether these initial UK boxed release sales are a decent predictor of anything at all, really? It would make these threads more interesting, and potentially useful.

avin

Jaybe

Can the people making these posts perhaps also use retrospective data for other games to give us some idea of whether these initial UK boxed release sales are a decent predictor of anything at all, really? It would make these threads more interesting, and potentially useful.

avin

Are you stupid or just blind? There’s a like for like comparison to the last AAA Star Wars game and the studio’s last game.

They give you every number except the amount it actually sold, is there a reason for that and what are we talking here several hundred or a few thousand?

Top Bottom