• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

What's amazing is that so many Hard Remain-ers are voting Labour. I think there's still a lot of misunderstanding about what Labour's policy is and that's - bizarrely - helping them.
I'm not sure it's helping them tbh. They'd probably trend better with hard leavers and re-leavers now if that was the case. It's more a problem of LibDems not appearing as a good option for many constituencies. Remainers are largely voting strategically.

Pixieking

Banned
Except you're not avoiding that - the difference between the Labour and Tory positions is that the Tories would walk away if they don't get a good deal, whereas Labour would attempt to extend negotiations.

On the issue of the single market, which is the big issue as it stands unless you want to ignore the referendum result, Labour and the Tories are identical.

It's a silly situation. My hope is that the next couple of weeks will be enough to shake a lot of misconceptions out of people's heads.

Labour are (somewhat successfully) being sold as the opposite of the Tories, due in no small part to Facebook memes and "MSM is anti-Labour" posts on social media. People are being lazy and taking that as "We're against Brexit, too", when the reality is very different.

Mini-rant:

A lot of what Labour supporters are doing is actually pushing England towards a two-party system. In every single Facebook or Twitter post I've seen, Labour policies are contrasted against the Conservatives, not the LibDems or Greens, who are closer to Labour in all ways. They're differentiating Labour solely against the Tories, and what that does is create the perception that there is only one party that can stand against the current government.

It's actually pretty interesting looking at how bad Corbyn and the Labour Party's public relations are, to then look at all the pro-Labour almost-propaganda techniques being used by the grassroots/social media/non-MSM Labour supporters.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I can't get anyone in the drugs thread to watch Brass Eye.

This makes me very sad, our finest export of satire is completely unappreciated.

I've come here to seek solace, there must be some Chris Morris fans about. I'll commend the Lib Dems' attempt to start even the tiniest conversation about drug policy to stay on topic!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The day today and brasseye is amazing and probably watch it on a monthly basis almost.

Thank you oh sacred duck.

It was a little frustrating because it satirises attitudes to drugs from absolutely everywhere. From our own, to Government and the media obviously. It even satirises some of the opinions in that thread.

And I thought it would be interesting to stick it in there. You can digest a lot more when it's in the form of humour, and exaggerated to make its point so I was interested in seeing the reaction. Both to the humour and the commentary on attitudes and drug policy.

I dangled enough carrots, but nope!

excowboy

Thank you oh sacred duck.

It was a little frustrating because it satirises attitudes to drugs from absolutely everywhere. From our own, to Government and the media obviously. It even satirises some of the opinions in that thread.

And I thought it would be interesting to stick it in there. You can digest a lot more when it's in the form of humour, and exaggerated to make its point so I was interested in seeing the reaction. Both to the humour and the commentary on attitudes and drug policy.

I dangled enough carrots, but nope!

I actually OD'ed on Cake just yesterday (it was my father-in-law​'s 60th, and he goes mad for a bit of Cake).

OT, liking the small shifts in the polls - I'm at least not as hopeless as when the election was called. So, who's going to not answer any of Marr or Peston's questions this morning?

What's amazing is that so many Hard Remain-ers are voting Labour. I think there's still a lot of misunderstanding about what Labour's policy is and that's - bizarrely - helping them.
It's not really surprising. Hard remainers are most likely to be ideologically opposed to the Tories, and voting in a Labour government is the only way to stop them.
While that does mean there is still no chance of overturning the referendum result, it's not like there is a realistic alternative for voting that would result in that.
I support the Lib Dem approach to Brexit more than I do the others, but I wouldn't vote for them unless I was in a marginal seat where they had any chance of unseating a Tory. I'm in a safe Labour seat so it doesn't really matter.

the difference between the Labour and Tory positions is that the Tories would walk away if they don't get a good deal, whereas Labour would attempt to extend negotiations.
You really believe Theresa May when she says that? Really?

She's setting low expectations so she can only exceed them. There's no way she's walking away with no deal, at least not by her choosing.

This makes me very sad, our finest export of satire is completely unappreciated.

I've come here to seek solace, there must be some Chris Morris fans about. I'll commend the Lib Dems' attempt to start even the tiniest conversation about drug policy to stay on topic!

Goddam Brass Eye was good,now I'm going to have to rewatch it 👍

*Splinter

"Are there any Chris Morris fans about"

In a UK thread. Based on politics.

What a question 🙄

As a hard remainer who will (most likely) vote Labour, I've effectively given up on the question of Brexit and am voting based on the rest of their policies. Maybe that makes me a "re-leaver" now? But I certainly don't support leaving.

Plus tactical voting, which is probably a bigger factor in most areas.

You really believe Theresa May when she says that? Really?

She's setting low expectations so she can only exceed them. There's no way she's walking away with no deal, at least not by her choosing.

No, I believe the assessment of Europe. A trade deal is not happening unless May commits to payment in full of what we have agreed to pay prior. The Tories don't want that, so there can be no trade deal.

Looking at the assessment of the crucial swing bracket - Remainers who are putting up with Brexit - it does drive home how weird this election is. "I am putting my best judgement in a box because I like Theresa May."

PJV3

Millionaire Brexit donor targets 140 remain MPs in General Election

The article is a real fuckin' trip. The millionaire in question goes on about independent-minded democracy while exclusively supporting the Conservatives to wrench Remain Labour MPs out of their seats to create a “government of national unity”.

It's just another Tory who can't separate national and party interest, creating a one party state and crushing the opposition shouldn't ever be used in the UK to make government work.

He's a creepy fuck with too much money.

Not strictly accurate, as quite a few of UKIP's supporters came to them by way of Labour. I don't disagree with your projection though.

I think this is worth repeating tbh because it demonstrates that whilst Corbyn's local elections voteshares weren't dissimilar to Milibands, that represents a de facto decline because UKIP voters came from both Labour and Tories (more Tories but not by much). As such, their subsequent move almost exclusively to the Tories represents a decline for Labour, not a return to some previous state.

slider

Millionaire Brexit donor targets 140 remain MPs in General Election

The article is a real fuckin' trip. The millionaire in question goes on about independent-minded democracy while exclusively supporting the Conservatives to wrench Remain Labour MPs out of their seats to create a “government of national unity”.

Why's he stood in Vauxhall? Strange place to be!

And, of course, as May puts it... It's the most important election in her lifetime. Of course there shouldn't be a discussion or any counterpoints. No, the Conservatives should decide unilaterally what's best for everyone. Because they know best.

Pandy

Chalk me up. The Day Today and Brass Eye are prized items in my DVD collection.

Iannucci hasn't been doing much in the UK for a while either, and I have to wonder how much a lack of strong political satire in the UK over the last few years has contributed to this ridiculous political circumstances we find ourselves in.

10 o'clock Live on Channel 4 was about the last thing I can think of that had any teeth at all. Wikipedia says that ended in 2013.

Bert

Labour are (somewhat successfully) being sold as the opposite of the Tories, due in no small part to Facebook memes and "MSM is anti-Labour" posts on social media. People are being lazy and taking that as "We're against Brexit, too", when the reality is very different.

Mini-rant:

A lot of what Labour supporters are doing is actually pushing England towards a two-party system. In every single Facebook or Twitter post I've seen, Labour policies are contrasted against the Conservatives, not the LibDems or Greens, who are closer to Labour in all ways. They're differentiating Labour solely against the Tories, and what that does is create the perception that there is only one party that can stand against the current government.

It's actually pretty interesting looking at how bad Corbyn and the Labour Party's public relations are, to then look at all the pro-Labour almost-propaganda techniques being used by the grassroots/social media/non-MSM Labour supporters.

Under FPTP there is only one party that can stand against the government.

Lib Dems and Greens are just lefties wanking over how special they are through a completely useless virtue signalling exercise that actually leads to governments of the opposite flavour to what they want.

And yes, I have been an activist and member of both in my youth.

Would like to vote Lib Dem but they have no chance in my area so it's just flushing my vote down the toilet if I vote for them. Imagine it's the case for many people. Safe Labour seat, my representative is quite good, promptly responds to my emails so I shall feel more comfortable in reelecting him.

f0rk

Lib Dems and Greens are just lefties wanking over how special they are through a completely useless virtue signalling exercise that actually leads to governments of the opposite flavour to what they want.

This is Corbyn's Labour. A lot of my facebook is the same. They aren't even good memes.

I really dislike the term virtue signalling though, that's alt-right code.

Uzzy

Emily Thornberry seems to have done well on the Andrew Marr show this morning.

Emily Thornberry accused Defence Secretary Michael Fallon of talking “bollocks” in a fiery debate on Sunday’s Andrew Marr Show.

The Conservative MP said the Shadow Foreign Secretary wanted to renegotiate the future of the Falklands’ sovereignty, a claim which Ms Thornberry strongly rebutted, saying: “That is bollocks. It’s untrue.”

She went on to accuse Mr Fallon of lying to the electorate. “You really can't just go around making this stuff up. There’s an election on and people need to make decisions based on the truth.”

The Shadow Foreign Secretary landed a further blow on Michael Fallon when she accused him of hypocrisy for his critical stance on Jeremy Corbyn’s alleged support for the Irish Republican Army (IRA).

"I suppose if you judge people by who it is that you spend time with, the question has to be: Do you remember where you were on May 27, 2007?"

When Mr Fallon said he did not, the Labour MP informed him that he was celebrating at a reception the re-election of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, condemned by the international community for attacks on civilians during the country's long-running Civil War.

Someone's done their research!

titch

No i wouldn't vote tory! always voted labour or liberals

No worries just the way i interpreted your post i wasn't sure.

I come from a family background that has never had a lot but has always managed the basics with a little extra and it frustrates me when i hear other people with a lot more than me complaining about being skint when they have constant w/e trips away, holidays, fancy house/car/etc and are always able to afford the latest gadgets/golf club membership.

What gets to me even more is they will happily vote tory because they are doing alright and not care about others that are a hell of a lot worse off than me.

Personally i would rather have less than the little i have than see honest hard working families struggling to feed themselves.

Some of the policies carried out by the tories show what utter scum they are and the contempt they have for the lower classes.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Chris Morris is the best.

That's my contribution to this political thread. 😄

jelly

I thought Thornberry was pretty good on the Andrew Marr show. She didn't really dodge anything and explained things well enough. It's probably the first time in a long while that Labour looked like they had someone of old who could be a cabinet member. I haven't seen her before this so maybe it was a one off but she seemed decent and on the ball on that.

I think the Tories need taken to task on just plain lying constantly and the media printing it as fact or giving off that vibe before explaining it which most people don't reach. People are just being fooled like Brexit all over again.

Strong work from her and she managed the tricky line of having your cake and eating it with Fallon, pointing out the dodgy looking connections and the point they're not fair connections to make political capital on. Tricky one to pull off but she did it.

TimmmV

The drugs and paedophile episodes of Brass Eye are among the funniest things ever written, both relentlessly funny, and haven't aged at all

Every time I read something about Spice in the press now it will make me think of the drugs episode and stuff like "czech neck" and "IMAGINE HOW HIS MOTHER FELT!"

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The drugs and paedophile episodes of Brass Eye are among the funniest things ever written, both relentlessly funny, and haven't aged at all

Every time I read something about Spice in the press now it will make me think of the drugs episode and stuff like "czech neck" and "IMAGINE HOW HIS MOTHER FELT!"

It's a made-up drug!

King_Moc

Banned

I always found the Paedophilia episode slightly too over the top. There's zero chance someone could have put it on and spent any amount of time thinking it was a real program, whereas with the others I think they maybe could have.

That drugs one is incredible though.

"For the last time, I don't know what Clarky Can IS!"
"No, CAT!... Clarky CAT!... The stuff that you chew!"

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I always found the Paedophilia episode slightly too over the top. There's zero chance someone could have put it on and spent any amount of time thinking it was a real program, whereas with the others I think they maybe could have.

The episodes are proportional to the scaremongering.

Meadows

Banned
Sorry if these got posted before:

CON: 49% (+3)
LAB: 31% (+1)
LDEM: 9% (-2)
UKIP: 3% (-2)

(via @YouGov)

CON: 48% (-2)
LAB: 30% (+5)
LDEM: 10% (-2)
UKIP: 5% (-2)
GRN: 3% (-)

(via @ComRes)

CON: 47% (+1)
LAB: 32% (+2)
LDEM: 8% (-1)
GRN: 2% (-)

(via @OpiniumResearch / 09 - 12 May)

CON: 46% (-)
LAB: 32% (+1)
UKIP: 7% (-1)

(via @ORB_Int / 10 - 11 May)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

There are definitely bits that are too over the top. The weirdest part is where Chris Morris is just insulting an actual paedophile (it was not an actor, he was from the paedophile change).

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
charlotte-church-daily-star.jpg

It was art, and made fools of everyone.

David Blunkett condemning it then saying he hadn't seen it was so funny in 2 ways at the same time I choked on my Coca-Cola.

Always wished we'd got another Brass Eye Special for The War On Terror. Four Lions was a nice companion piece, but he would have laid waste to the whole subject.

Sorry if these got posted before:

CON: 49% (+3)
LAB: 31% (+1)
LDEM: 9% (-2)
UKIP: 3% (-2)

(via @YouGov)

CON: 48% (-2)
LAB: 30% (+5)
LDEM: 10% (-2)
GRN: 3% (-)

(via @ComRes)

CON: 47% (+1)
LAB: 32% (+2)
GRN: 2% (-)

(via @OpiniumResearch / 09 - 12 May)

CON: 46% (-)
LAB: 32% (+1)
UKIP: 7% (-1)

(via @ORB_Int / 10 - 11 May)

All this seems to suggest to me is there's probably at least a 3% margin of error in these polls, so the day by day (or however often this occur) polls just show that not much is changing.

Lego Boss

No worries just the way i interpreted your post i wasn't sure.

I come from a family background that has never had a lot but has always managed the basics with a little extra and it frustrates me when i hear other people with a lot more than me complaining about being skint when they have constant w/e trips away, holidays, fancy house/car/etc and are always able to afford the latest gadgets/golf club membership.

What gets to me even more is they will happily vote tory because they are doing alright and not care about others that are a hell of a lot worse off than me.

Personally i would rather have less than the little i have than see honest hard working families struggling to feed themselves.

Some of the policies carried out by the tories show what utter scum they are and the contempt they have for the lower classes.

B- Bu- But- BUT 'LABOUR HAVE DESERTED THE WORKING CLASSES'.

What I hate about this is, it was the Tories who fucked this with market capitalism and decimation of primary industries in the 1970s and 1980s and then entered the Washington Consensus in 1989.

And then the Tories say that it's Labour who turned their back . . .

And Labour are responsible for global warming, over-fishing, the sinking of the Titanic and the people in hockey masks who hang around outside children's schools.

How could they possibly twist the discourse to such a degree?

More pertinently (and worse) how does Labour let them get away with it FFS?

It just shows how low the Tories are and how inept Labour are.

It doesn't matter what you think of Blair, he would eat these numpty-fucks (on both sides) for breakfast.

B- Bu- But- BUT 'LABOUR HAVE DESERTED THE WORKING CLASSES'.

What I hate about this is, it was the Tories who fucked this with market capitalism and decimation of primary industries in the 1970s and 1980s and then entered the Washington Consensus in 1989.

And then the Tories say that it's Labour who turned their back . . .

Do you really think there's an alternate version of history where the UK remains a quasi-socialist, nationalised-primary-industry, bummed-by-the-unions country during the late 70s and 80's and we'd now be better off than we actually are now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom