• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

TM94

MRW I pledge to end free school meals for underprivileged bairns.

cjzqhj-umaac-ji.jpg

Empty

That Tory manifesto is incredible.

Absolutely reeks of disdain for ordinary people and even their traditional, older voting base.

Haha vote for us you useless cunts because there's nobody else.

yeah it's like a game of chicken. the manifesto, as has been pointed out a few times in here, offers no-one anything and stuff like the dementia tax is so mad they are literally daring their own voters to risk a vote for corbyn.

would love it if the polls started to show people taking them up on it. love it. i hate their campaign so so much.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
yeah it's like a game of chicken. the manifesto, as has been pointed out a few times in here, offers no-one anything and stuff like the dementia tax is so mad they are literally daring their own voters to risk a vote for corbyn.

would love it if the polls started to show people taking them up on it. love it. i hate their campaign so so much.

thinking about it that doesn't really surprise me. May comes across as a kind of political grey mush that doesn't really stand for anything or anyone. I think that's part of her success in some way. Even when she won the leadership it was only because everyone else either gave up, did something dumb or died from a knife wound in the back. She just sort of stood still. I mean even today she talked about ending the "left and right" of politics and I think that speaks volumes about who she is.

Pandy

Tories have pledged to dismantle the Serious Fraud Office.

Their donors do get value for money have to admit.

Also:
A free media
At a time when the internet is changing the way people obtain their news, we also
need to take steps to protect the reliability and objectivity of information that is
essential to our democracy and a free and independent press. We will ensure content
creators are appropriately rewarded for the content they make available online. We
will be consistent in our approach to regulation of online and offline media. Given the
comprehensive nature of the first stage of the Leveson Inquiry and given the lengthy
investigations by the police and Crown Prosecution Service into alleged wrongdoing,
we will not proceed with the second stage of the Leveson Inquiry into the culture,
practices and ethics of the press. We will repeal Section 40 of the Crime and Courts
Act 2014, which, if enacted, would force media organisations to become members of a
flawed regulatory system or risk having to pay the legal costs of both sides in libel and
privacy cases, even if they win
Page 80 https://www.conservatives.com/manifesto

Auctopus

Re-distributing the "savings" of cancelling Free School Meals in to the core school systems will have a fraction of the effect on individual children's academia, social and mental health.

I get the impression the tories feel confident they will win a landslide no matter what their manifesto says, so they might as well go wild and get a mandate for as much shitty stuff as possible.

Though I really hope it backfires.

jelly

I get the impression the tories feel confident they will win a landslide no matter what their manifesto says, so they might as well go wild and get a mandate for as much shitty stuff as possible.

Though I really hope it backfires.

I think they'll still win comfortably, people are ignorant and stupid but they've definitely lined up the excuse of, well it was all there, you voted for it so take it.

twofoldd

I think it's normal protocol and the Uk is not unique in this regard.

You think? Where's the proof.

I just checked the Netherlands and it costs 237 euros to apply for a non-eu spouse visa. They have an 18,000 euro minimum salary, but there is an alternate route called 'verification against eu law' which has a much lower threshold. It's significantly easier than applying in the UK.

Yeah, I'm aware of what's involved (my wife is a non-EU immigrant). I don't think you need to be "incredibly well off" or "work in the city". The average salary is something like £25k.

Based on Theresa May's previous attempts to raise the threshold to raise the threshold to £25,700, my guess is she'll go for a similar amount, likely more (and with kids that threshold goes up to £37,000 for one kid, £49,000 for two).

This combined with the upfront costs of the visa fee (£2k) and IHS surcharge (which will be £1,800) will prevent the majority of people from bringing over non EU spouses. And then there's the cost of FLR(M) (another £3k - though this'll likely be more in a few years) and ILR (£2.3k).

I don't think many people will be able to afford this, effectively penalising you if you made the 'mistake' of falling for a non-eu partner.

I sincerely hope EU residents won't have to go through this bullshit, but I wouldn't put it past May.

Empty

corbyn was sensible to bin it off imo. it'd just be like miliband in the 2015 debate which cameron ignored, he'd immediately become the symbol of the establishment and all the smaller parties would gang up to try and steal his votes by whining about brexit. better to just make it seem irrelevant.

i think the corbyn and may q&a will be really interesting, especially as may is not strong on her feet, but idk how many will actually bother to watch as it's not a head to head and isn't on itv or bbc primetime.

Real Hero

corbyn was sensible to bin it off imo. it'd just be like miliband in the 2015 debate which cameron ignored, he'd immediately become the symbol of the establishment and all the smaller parties would gang up to try and steal his votes by whining about brexit. better to just make it seem irrelevant.

i think the corbyn and may q&a will be really interesting, especially as may is not strong on her feet, but idk how many will actually bother to watch as it's not a head to head and isn't on itv or bbc primetime.
Yeah at first I thought he was wrong to avoid but watching it now it is clear they would all focus on him

I really hope we end up getting a last minute debate between the two.

Moze

Banned
Who cares about scrubber kids let em starve

They won't starve because means tested free school meals will still exist. I really don't see the issue with the scrapping of free school meals for every child in their first 3 years of school. It should always be means tested.

That being said, they should be helping out poorer working families with this more than they currently are.

Talking about FSM, I was on them for my whole time at school and completed avoided it in secondary school because other pupils noticed who was and was not on them and bullied the ones who were on them. I actually chose to not eat anything during school because of this. I would guess it is even worse at schools today.

Farron did a good job. I'll happily say I think all five said at least one thing I agree with. I agree that without Labour and the Tories it was a somewhat less relevant debate.

Overall Farron used it as a platform to pitch his points. My suspicion is that this will have had low viewing numbers, but I couldn't have asked for more. And everyone agreed with him once, I think.

The fact that it doesn't lead the BBC News at 10 is indicative of its low impact...

mo60

I wonder if recent developments will help push the tories below 400 seats on June 8th. Even though I don't like the current labour party I don't want the tories to win 400+ seats.

Maledict

So can I put forward a controversial point.

Whilst I may not agree with the policies, May has the right idea in mind by removing some of the protections and benefits for old people. The triple lock is a *disgusting* bribe for votes that shouldn't exist. Winter fuel payments are another bribe for votes - my parents have an outdoor jacuzzi ffs and they get it!

The rising costs of adult social care and care for the elderly and destroying local services and government. It requires a fundamental rethink and approach - it cannot be sorted out by tinkering. At least May is using the opportunity her ridiculous poll numbers give her to back away from the traditional Tory bribes to old people.

Maledict

Is that the same as "dismantling"?

(Genuine question)

No, not at all. It's a pile of crap to suggest otherwise, and this is probably a good move at tackling this type of crime (there are real issues with intelligence sharing right now as it's split into several places). Can we at least attack them for their real positions and policies rather than made up ones? Surely there's enough ammo there? ;-)

RenditMan

Banned
You think? Where's the proof.

I just checked the Netherlands and it costs 237 euros to apply for a non-eu spouse visa. They have an 18,000 euro minimum salary, but there is an alternate route called 'verification against eu law' which has a much lower threshold. It's significantly easier than applying in the UK.

Based on Theresa May's previous attempts to raise the threshold to raise the threshold to £25,700, my guess is she'll go for a similar amount, likely more (and with kids that threshold goes up to £37,000 for one kid, £49,000 for two).

This combined with the upfront costs of the visa fee (£2k) and IHS surcharge (which will be £1,800) will prevent the majority of people from bringing over non EU spouses. And then there's the cost of FLR(M) (another £3k - though this'll likely be more in a few years) and ILR (£2.3k).

I don't think many people will be able to afford this, effectively penalising you if you made the 'mistake' of falling for a non-eu partner.

I sincerely hope EU residents won't have to go through this bullshit, but I wouldn't put it past May.

The UK doesn't struggle to attract immigrants though. The price of UK entry is a supply and demand issue currently.

Political suicide to open the borders at the minute and net immigration of 500k+ per year would really drop us in the shit quick. We just can't house that many, no matter how quick we concrete over the fields.

pswii60

Whilst I may not agree with the policies, May has the right idea in mind by removing some of the protections and benefits for old people. The triple lock is a *disgusting* bribe for votes that shouldn't exist. Winter fuel payments are another bribe for votes - my parents have an outdoor jacuzzi ffs and they get it!

The rising costs of adult social care and care for the elderly and destroying local services and government. It requires a fundamental rethink and approach - it cannot be sorted out by tinkering. At least May is using the opportunity her ridiculous poll numbers give her to back away from the traditional Tory bribes to old people.
Bribes for old people are also your future inheritance.

Maledict

Bribes for old people are also your future inheritance.

And they shouldn't exist. Transferring wealth from young people to pay for old people's votes in the way we currently do is fucking stupid and offensive. I will again point my own parents who have an outdoor jacuzzi get money from the government to pay for heating bills. Your tax money is literally paying for a jacuzzi.

It should be means tested. And the state pension shouldn't be rising like it has - over the last seven years we've seen a massive transfer of wealth away from the disabled, the sick and the poor towards old age pensioners. Simply because they vote. We should be supporting those people who need it.

*Splinter

I agree, and to be fair I think a few others in here do as well. More of the conversation has been based on surprise at the Tories risking angering their base.

No, not at all. It's a pile of crap to suggest otherwise, and this is probably a good move at tackling this type of crime (there are real issues with intelligence sharing right now as it's split into several places). Can we at least attack them for their real positions and policies rather than made up ones? Surely there's enough ammo there? ;-)
Thanks, I was reading two completely opposing statements so someone had to be using an unreasonable amount of spin.

Your tax money is literally paying for a jacuzzi.
I had a £400 meal last week, budgeted for by the ~£400 I'll get from a H2B ISA.

Thanks, taxpayers ^^

PJV3

The Labour idea of spreading out the cost of social care so it didn't become a final lottery seemed better to me.

Everyone puts some money in at the end, some lose a bit and don't need care, some lose less than they will under this idea May has cooked up.

Empty

micheal fallon just got rinsed on newsnight over the tories uncosted immigration pledge-aim-ambition lol

i agree with the main changes to triple lock and winter fuel

but i do think the dementia tax is fundamentally wrong. if you get cancer the NHS covers you, if you get dementia you are screwed over. plus it just creates unbearable pressure on families with parents worried they will be a huge financial burden on their children.

twofoldd

The UK doesn't struggle to attract immigrants though. The price of UK entry is a supply and demand issue currently.

Political suicide to open the borders at the minute and net immigration of 500k+ per year would really drop us in the shit quick. We just can't house that many, no matter how quick we concrete over the fields.

Way to move the goalposts, champ. I'm sure that's a solace to the families being torn apart by these policies.

Rodelero

Indeed. Out of the major parties, the Conservatives are the only party that actually seem to be treating the issue of the aging society with the respect it deserves, while Labour and the Liberal Democrats seem to be kicking the proverbial can down the road. The means tested winter fuel payments, and removing the 2.5% lock on pensions are both quite positive moves. The headline move though, with social care provided free only once your assets are down to £100k is still taking my breath away. It is an utterly brutal policy which will ravage the wealth of the lower middle classes, especially if they fall ill with dementia or similar conditions. It is extraordinarily regressive in a country where so much wealth is transferred directly from parent to child, whether its private schooling, gifts and loans for mortgage deposits, or inheritance. It is a mind boggling policy from a party that has raised the inheritance tax threshold so very high. The Conservatives are essentially forcing the elderly into equity release schemes - which financial experts almost always advise against.

Instead of building a system that is fair, on an insurance style basis where everyone puts in and those who need take out, the Conservatives have proposed something that is, frankly, vile. The elderly in this country are now playing a death lottery, and those that are afflicted by the appalling disease that is dementia will be the biggest losers, along with their children. The only question is whether people will actually reject this cruel and regressive policy - and whether the media will actually explain it clearly enough that people realise what this really means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom