• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtmd

Banned
"Theresa May , Your Campaign Seems To Have the Momentum of a Runaway Freight Train. Why Are You So Popular?”

Answer: "Andrew, I'd just like to correct you. My train is not running away. It is delivering strong and stable deliveries of popularity. Thank you for your intensive question. That's all for today, goodnight"

I know, I know, but this is his one shot. Lull her in with an opening question about her bangles or some shit and then ask if she plans to hunt people with dementia after the foxes are wiped out. It'll be like hitting a witch with a hose.

That was her strategy so far and she wanted the election to be built around Brexit but the opposition has successfully shifted the message from that. If she loses any more support I can imagine being forced into a debate to try and salvage this. We just need to time this right.

I think they know the worst thing they can do is let her get into a debate. Then they would have to talk about policies and things. May would be less strong and stable as she has so competently proved today.

It will require genuine buffoonery from the Conservatives to blow a lead in such a short space of time and they are trying to limit the opportunities to buffoon as much as possible.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Same, I don't see the manifestos having enough of an impact to see a big enough swing from Tories to Labour

The council elections were only 2/3 weeks ago, and Labour were humiliated. I cant see that changing so quickly.

It is nice to see the Tories handling things so badly though. Just depressing that despite it, they'll still win regardless

Trying to get Tory votes was what arguably didnt work for Labour in 2015

2017 relies on getting more people period out to vote.

Hope is a lie, the Tories are still going to walk this, though if they get a reduced majority I'll laugh my ass off.

Did this get posted yet?

http://ge2017.com/quiz

Takes no time to do it. Here's what I got.

Capture.png

And this is what I call "depressing"

2Da7gLN.jpg

Spuck-uk

Banned
The problem is that Corbyn, although he's improved, is still toxic to the electorate. I don't think he can get past 35% or so, but he's doing 10 points better than I expected already. The Labour Uncut post had a drop in support due to Corbyn in voter base that endangered a lot of seats.

Labour Uncut are a hilariously biased Blue Labour campaign group who would cut their own cocks off to undermine any kinda of progressive movement.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Man, what a disgrace that woman is. Spouting absolute bullshit about Labour and Corbyn screaming about fake news ("ITS ALL FAKE - but we're changing it anyway") and fear mongering, along with the general complete contempt for journalists actually doing their job. Fucking Trump tactics.

Surely they have to have a figure for the cap? She's gonna be with Andrew Neil tonight for christ sake. I bet there's some furious re-write of questions going on right now. Hope he eats her soul.

I really, really hope Neil doesn't just toss softballs at her..

Who am I kidding lol.

I can't help but feel Andrew Neil will roll over for her to be honest, at least, relative to how he would be with anyone else.

This is one of the interviews of Neil's career. A PM stuck in a room with him, in the middle of a general election campaign with a Labour Party potentially rising from the ashes and an omnishambles of a manifesto? With Brexit on the horizon?

This is going to be glorious.

He will go after Farron more - he has a passionate hatred of the Lib Dems from everything I have seen - but he must smell blood here.

TimmmV

Trying to get Tory votes was what arguably didnt work for Labour in 2015

2017 relies on getting more people period out to vote.

Hope is a lie, the Tories are still going to walk this, though if they get a reduced majority I'll laugh my ass off.

I'd gladly be proved wrong!

And yeah, the Tories ending up in a worse/equal position to how they did before snap election would be glorious

Theonik

It will require genuine buffoonery from the Conservatives to blow a lead in such a short space of time and they are trying to limit the opportunities to buffoon as much as possible.
iTWiEcI.gif

What's next? Corbyn to announce his nuclear arms race?
See. This has always been a pretty big question.

Even with politicians that are heavily anti-nuclear it is very difficult to realistically support unilateral disarmament which is part of why even Nye Bevan had to reverse his position on the issue.

But these are not U-turns and are not contradictory positions as things like the START treaties have shown.It is possible to lead major nuclear powers towards nuclear de-escalation. Though I think the genie would be night impossible to get back into the bottle in terms of nuclear weapons in general.

E:
But you must also acknowledge the progress we've made in terms of nuclear weapons. It wasn't that long ago that Gen. McArthur wanted 34 nuclear bombs to aid him in the Korean war, and Truman almost granted him that. (Do read up about that. Pretty bonkers that plan was)

Chinner

Banned
Answer: "Andrew, I'd just like to correct you. My train is not running away. It is delivering strong and stable deliveries of popularity. Thank you for your intensive question. That's all for today, goodnight"

"Why are my teeth showing like that?"
"You're smiling."

"Theresa, our polling indicates while people think you're a strong leader, you don't display much empathy. Could you try smiling more?"

3JKsHOF.gif

Labour Uncut are a hilariously biased Blue Labour campaign group who would cut their own cocks off to undermine any kinda of progressive movement.

Absolute bollocks, but you've consistently talked bollocks in here so it's no surprise.

For all the excitement in here the tories are still 14 points ahead of Labour.

And can we stop saying Corbyn is polling higher than Miliband, that's just an outright lie.

Spuck-uk

Banned
This is one of the interviews of Neil's career. A PM stuck in a room with him, in the middle of a general election campaign with a Labour Party potentially rising from the ashes and an omnishambles of a manifesto? With Brexit on the horizon?

He will go after Farron more - he has a passionate hatred of the Lib Dems from everything I have seen - but he must smell blood here.

He's a former Tory party member, chair of the Spectator, was one of the top guys at News Corp. I'd be surprised if he hasn't written her answers for her.

He does have a particular hate-on for the Libs, you're right.

A sufficiently motivated Paxman would have stripped the skin from her bones with this opportunity.

pulsemyne

Absolute bollocks, but you've consistently talked bollocks in here so it's no surprise.

For all the excitement in here the tories are still 14 points ahead of Labour.

And can we stop saying Corbyn is polling higher than Miliband, that's just an outright lie.

Surverton also has the lead down to 9 points now.

Mr. Sam

The new policy is even worse. It is more regressive than the original!

In the words of Stephen Bush, "Good news! The Conservatives are no longer proposing a system where the richest pensioners pay inheritance tax via genetic lottery. Bad news! The poorest pensioners will pay one instead."

You don't think Labour Uncut are on the right of the party? Bless your heart, you really should do your research better.

Their basic logic was that Corbyn was causing a depression of Labour support, particularly in the heartlands, and 75% of UKIP support was going Tory.

Corbyn has momentum right now, but the key question is where.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Their basic logic was that Corbyn was causing a depression of Labour support, particularly in the heartlands, and 75% of UKIP support was going Tory.

Corbyn has momentum right now, but the key question is where.

Oh, I'm not disputing there's some merit to what they're suggesting re: how many seats may or may not be lost, but they absolutely have an agenda. Dan Hodges stating he'd drink arsenic if Labour won with Corbyn in charge..

jm89

I don't know man, i just feel may wouldn't go there if she didn't think it would go her way.

I don't know man, i just feel may wouldn't go there if she didn't think it would go her way.

She cannot run from a BBC interview. The press WOULD have a field day. And as much as Neil has a reputation as a shill for the right, he is a tough and nasty man to everyone when he needs to be.

You don't think Labour Uncut are on the right of the party? Bless your heart, you really should do your research better.

You said they were a mouthpiece for Blue Labour, which isn't even on the right of the party to begin with- blue labour is not what you seem to think it is. You also said they'd rather cut their dicks off than back anything progressive, which is again absolute bollocks as even a cursory glance at their site would show you.

Labour Uncut is quite simply a grassroots Labour blog. There is plenty of internal criticism, but we aren't a democratic centralist party yet and hopefully never will be.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
here's the "amended" social care policy (I think this is what they're buying google ads to promote)

https://www.conservatives.com/socialcare

Jeremy Corbyn wants to duck this reality and play politics. Since our plans have been published he has been running a scare campaign of false claims to deliberately mislead some of the most vulnerable members of our society.

lol. even with near total control of the media they can't spin this shit.

edit: this is the best rated comment on the mail story

firlloy.png

what is happening

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

We are currently 17 days from the General Election. 17 days before the 2015 General Election was April 21st, 2015. The most recent poll from each pollsters in the preceding 7 days looked like this:

YouGov/Sun 34
TNS BMRB 34
ICM/Guardian 32
Populus 34
Ashcroft 30
Opinium/Observer 32
Survation/Mirror 33
Panelbase 34
Ipsos-MORI/Evening Standard 35

The average was 33.11%.

This is the equivalent for the current election:

ICM 33
Survation 34
YouGov 35
ORB 34
Opinium 33
Ipsos Mori 34
TNS 29
Panelbase 33

The average is 33.125% - i.e., Corbyn is fractionally higher.
It's the small margins that count!

But more importantly, as a result of the 2015 General Election, most pollsters changed the way they weight certain demographics. As a rough number, if the voting samples which got Miliband a 33% or 34% were replicated for Corbyn, they would produce about 31% or 33%.

So not only is Corbyn ahead in a direct poll-to-poll comparison, he is even more so when comparing like for like.

I'm not saying he's the future of the Labour Party. Clearly not. I voted for Burnham, and then Smith, albeit both times rather reluctantly. However, if you keep on with the same petty dismissiveness, you're never going to be able to leverage any change within your party.

Fuck May. Tories want to bring back fox hunting and don't want to ban ivory...

Doing the right thing for the "just managing."

Don't worry poor Northern towns, there may be no jobs after we have left Europe but you can buy as many ivory back scratchers as you need.

You can't come Fox hunting with us though. Know your place.

Spuck-uk

Banned
You said they were a mouthpiece for Blue Labour, which isn't even on the right of the party to begin with- blue labour is not what you seem to think it is. You also said they'd rather cut their dicks off than back anything progressive, which is again absolute bollocks as even a cursory glance at their site would show you.

Labour Uncut is quite simply a grassroots Labour blog. There is plenty of internal criticism, but we aren't a democratic centralist party yet and hopefully never will be.

Christ, do you donate to them or something?

Audioboxer

I did a double take before I noticed "Welsh" there.

IgMyx.gif

same

Still good.

Reducing the voting age to 16 is getting hammered, though. Cmon rUK...

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/866663966369566725

Other particularly unpopular policies included the Liberal Democrats' proposal to reduce the voting age to 16, with just 29% of people saying they thought it was a good idea

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/22/how-popular-are-parties-manifesto-policies/

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
...the fuck? I wonder what it was that finally made Wales realise that it's consistently voting against it's own interest.

I'd love to see interviews with that 7% of former tory voters.

Beefy

Doing the right thing for the "just managing."

Don't worry poor Northern towns, there may be no jobs after we have left Europe but you can buy as many ivory back scratchers as you need.

You can't come Fox hunting with us though. Know your place.

" and you can come to Africa with us and be spotters for Elephants"

oti

Banned
Wait. Guys. What's going on. A few hours ago I didn't know there was some kind of controversy. Since then May's done a 180 already?

Her whole stick is strong and stable, lol.

Par Score

He's a former Tory party member, chair of the Spectator, was one of the top guys at News Corp. I'd be surprised if he hasn't written her answers for her.

He does have a particular hate-on for the Libs, you're right.

A sufficiently motivated Paxman would have stripped the skin from her bones with this opportunity.

Neil might be a Tory, but he's a journalist first and foremost, and one with a nose for blood.

He knows when to go in, and goes in hard. May will get an absolute roasting because she's looking vulnerable. She half-cracked this morning.

Here we, here we, here we fucking go, etc.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
not sure if it was already discussed but apparently May didn't even consult senior colleagues about her plans and now they're trying to distance themselves

https://www.ft.com/content/a939409e-3e21-11e7-82b6-896b95f30f58

Theresa May failed to consult some of her most senior colleagues over plans to overhaul the social care system, which has become the most criticised policy in last week’s Conservative manifesto.

The plan, dubbed the “dementia tax”, was added at the last minute by Nick Timothy, the prime minister’s co-head of staff, party figures have admitted.

I bet they're glad she put her name on everything now instead of conservatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom