• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Neil might be a Tory, but he's a journalist first and foremost, and one with a nose for blood.

He knows when to go in, and goes in hard. May will get an absolute roasting because she's looking vulnerable. She half-cracked this morning.

tbh, I want to see blood. He HAS dealt out some real beastings in his time.

Uzzy

I almost feel bad for the senior Tories and MP's who loyally go out to defend May's policies in public and the press, only to end up looking like fools when she u-turns.

Weak and wobbly.

Hazzuh

not sure if it was already discussed but apparently May didn't even consult senior colleagues about her plans and now they're trying to distance themselves

https://www.ft.com/content/a939409e-3e21-11e7-82b6-896b95f30f58

I bet they're glad she put her name on everything now instead of conservatives.

Totally unsurprising. Her office sounds like it is a totally toxic place to work (hence the high turn over in staff) and she also seems to have a pretty bad working relationship with a lot of the cabinet. Its not really a recipe for good policy but I think most people expected these sorts of issues to come to a head much later rather than in the middle of the election.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Bear in mind postal votes arrive tomorrow and usually get sent within 48 hours of receipt, so what the polls show today/tomorrow/the day after is partially 'set' into the actual results. Even if Labour make some big climbs, they'll be partially handicapped by that.

Burai

shitonmychest57
...the fuck? I wonder what it was that finally made Wales realise that it's consistently voting against it's own interest.

I'd love to see interviews with that 7% of former tory voters.

They took back control. They just don't want that control to look like the Tory manifesto.

I feel like in the past week or so, the "Brexit fog" has been lifted and people suddenly remembered that there's more to life than getting angry about lightbulbs and immigrants.

Spuck-uk

Banned
They took back control. They just don't want that control to look like the Tory manifesto.

I feel like in the past week or so, the "Brexit fog" has been lifted and people suddenly remembered that there's more to life than getting angry about lightbulbs and immigrants.

I think that's been brewing for a while now tbh, explains why Lib Dems haven't made the expected gains in hitching their campaign so strongly to remain voters.

Maybe Nye Bevans ghost appeared and reminded them the tories hate the NHS.

Theonik

Bear in mind postal votes arrive tomorrow and usually get sent within 48 hours of receipt, so what the polls show today/tomorrow/the day after is partially 'set' into the actual results. Even if Labour make some big climbs, they'll be partially handicapped by that.
We kinda saw the exact same thing happen with the leave campaign surging around the time postal votes went out the the eventual drop after not offsetting that but I remain hopeful.

Good job Ceredigion is safe as houses. Plaid on the retreat helps a lot.
Them are some fighting words.

Beefy

Long as Labour don't get ripped apart I can just about live with Tories winning. I hate them, but can't see Labour winning.

Par Score

Equally, if this is just a momentary wobble for the Tories then it might lock in some percentage of a high-water mark.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Long as Labour don't get ripped apart I can just about live with Tories winning. I hate them, but can't see Labour winning.

I don't many people realistically think Labour can win, but if the Tories get far less seats than expected it's a disaster in terms of their expectations, and makes it harder for them to railroad through truly heinous shit.

OG Kush

What is the reasoning for sending them out so early?

Very fair, and I guess they also skew older?

One interesting thing is I think I saw tweets from Faisal Islam about the last set of YouGov results that the movement to Labour didn't really come from older voters - mostly static. That may have been that field work was only just after the manifestos and it did take a couple of days for the dementia tax to hit that name and momentum, so either there's still room for a shift or it's not enough to change their minds.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Because they're for people who won't be able to vote in person at the election, usually because they're abroad, which means they need to be sent to addresses before that person goes abroad.

Theonik

To make sure they all arrive in time for counting, especially for people who are voting from abroad. I'm not terribly fond of postal votes in general though.

I'd rather we only allowed them under exceptional circumstances and instead moved to expand voting by making voting a holiday etc.

There have been plenty of scandals with postal vote results leaking ahead of polls closing from both recent referendums.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Westminster VI
CON 47% (-1)
LAB: 33% (+5)
LDEM: 9% (-1)
UKIP: 4% (-2)
GRN: 2% (-1) (via @ICMResearch / 19-21 May)

The methodology for the recent ICM one is interesting, because it only made UKIP available as an option if the person sampled had a UKIP candidate standing in their constituency. I think this will probably make it the most accurate for the time being, an individual poll.

Faddy

Banned
May has lost the plot again. Basing a campaign on Strong and Stable leadership really falls apart when you can't get your manifesto out without a huge cock up. And even her U-turn has lead to more uncertainty as May refuses to give figures on what the cap will be and how much revenue she expects to generate.

Another uncosted Tory policy.

And we are meant to believe Theresa May can get us a good deal with Europe. Lol.

Hazzuh

Yeah, CCHQ clearly timed the IRA stories in the Sunday editions of the Mail and Telegraph with this in mind, they must be pulling their hair out over the fact that the social care stuff has partially brushed it under the rug.

Them are some fighting words.

Mark Williams is the Welsh leader, is the absolute definition of a cracking local MP and Plaid only managed to drag his vote down to +3000 at the party's lowest ebb. The betting shops have him as clear favourite to hold. Helps that Ceredigion was a Remain area.

The methodology for the recent ICM one is interesting, because it only made UKIP available as an option if the person sampled had a UKIP candidate standing in their constituency. I think this will probably make it the most accurate for the time being, an individual poll.

Oh that is interesting. I guess it's easy to forget that they're not just going for everywhere and the subtle hit that may have on results.

Theonik

Mark Williams is the Welsh leader, is the absolute definition of a cracking local MP and Plaid only managed to drag his vote down to +3000 at the party's lowest ebb. The betting shops have him as clear favourite to hold. Helps that Ceredigion was a Remain area.
Oh I know. I used to live there till September.
Actually got a good friend that's trying to campaign for Labour there.
I'm merely posting in jest!

Yen

Wait. Guys. What's going on. A few hours ago I didn't know there was some kind of controversy. Since then May's done a 180 already?

Her whole stick is strong and stable, lol.

She was on Sky shaking her head and yelling "I would love it if we beat them. Love it!" Historically doesn't bode well.

Zaph

GnPA2GL.png

BBC online editors doing good work

2005 alumni (Comp Sci) here as well.

You also the best.

And yeah LOL that BBC pic of May.

Looking at the BBC news feed it seems like Farron et al are keeping up pressure on the Dementia Tax. Got an email earlier asking to support a petition.

Corbyn will probably move on to other topics as he needs to, but this is definitely a lifeline for the LD media team who have really struggled to make a dent on the headlines in the past two weeks.

A couple of amusing Twitter topics:

1. Tactical2017 apparently is a secret Lib Den plot because it tells you that, yes, there are a couple hundred seats in the country where Labour is not the challenger to the Tories.

2. Some buzz around Farron being against the hunting ban, as he once said in an interview with a farmer's mag. Good example of fake news - Farron wanted to change the act to not be the current unenforceable mess that it is (as it is, ultimately, an unenforceable mess that does not protect animals).

pswii60

look at the absolute contempt May has for the journalist who dared to ask a real question

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/866614311531053056

spoiler she didn't answer the question about what a cap would be and doesn't even begin to answer where the money would come from.

Is May constantly channelling Gordon Brown? She has the same resting bitch face, weird mouth shapes when she breathes in, and the same awkward artificial smile.

And she also knows how to use an election campaign to lower her popularity.

Ashes

Banned
When I checked the BBC News homepage on my phone just before 3pm, when the U Turn stuff was being covered everywhere else...

Hmm. Mine has the election front and center. Maybe Trump had his speech just then?

Either​ way May headlining right now on my phone. Maybe different in different places.

excowboy

My increasing optimism of a non-Tory govt has been chilled somewhat by catching up on Lord Ashcroft's focus group podcast. Listening to Episode 2 around the Labour manifesto and no-one has anything to say beyond some right wing press bullet points:
Lord Ashcroft's Election Tour

Worth a listening​ to hear a sample of actual voters though.

satriales

Are you guys able to decipher this leaflet I got through the post today? I guess they decided not to have someone check over it before it got sent to the printers.
It looks like they copy pasted his head from a different photo and put it someone wearing a suit.

HaloRose

Banned
Their say Remain would of win by 10 points by postal votes. i don't trust them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom