• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasliquid

I don't believe it will happen and it would be chaos afterwards but if Theresa May called an GE early only to lose her majority it would be hilarious

Faddy

Banned
No, that's all the Northern Ireland MPs put together. There's 18 seats for NI. The DuP would be about 9 of those, give or take.

Maybe Sinn Fein will finally take their seats to back Corbyn for PM.

---

Also Theresa May is a loser.

I don't think the Liberal Democrats are likely to be large enough to realistically form part of a coalition, but to be honest, as a pragmatist, I find the idea of voting for a third party who isn't willing to govern ... challenging.

For two reasons:

1. To shut up the whole "COALITION OF CHAOS" thing in the seats where we were trying to win. Canvassers just had to tell any voter that worried about it that we would never go into government with the other side.
2. Exactly this scenario.

We got BUTCHERED the last time we were in government. Labour and the Tories screwed us over royally.

A hung parliament with the LDs having my prediction, which up until about an hour ago was 12-18 seats (God knows what happens now - a lot of voters are going to panic and dramatically re-align) would be ideal for us - it completely and totally fucks over Brexit.

Bear in mind that we cannot enter any kind of deal with a party that backs leaving the Single Market anyway. But we specifically ruled out any coalition. You vote Lib Dem... you get Lib Dem.

Faddy

Banned
Those numbers are a coalition of chaos no matter who is PM.

May would need the Lib Dems plus some NI MPs to hold a majority and it barely gets past 325 for sure control.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Those numbers are a coalition of chaos no matter who is PM.

May would need the Lib Dems plus some NI MPs to hold a majority and it barely gets past 325 for sure control.

It sounds like the exact sort of recipe for there to be another election about six months later.

Brenda from Bristol might need to be put in a watchlist.

Faddy

Banned
It sounds like the exact sort of recipe for there to be another election about six months later.

If we had another election we would need to ask permission to postpone Brexit. Theresa May would get chucked. And it would be a complete mess.

Biggzy

I still think the CON will get a confortable majority in then end, but boy will it be a blood bath if those projection turn out to be remotely true.

Why must the pollsters do this to me? It was the same last election. It's all balls.

This is why I am not getting my hopes up as I did for 2015 when I woke up to find the CON got a majority.

Xando

And all of that while the Brexit clock ticks.
Triggering article 50 so early was stupid as hell.

Good news Huw, Lib Dems are 4/7 to get 10-19 seats on Sky Bet.

Also, conservative no majority is at 5/1 which is the lowest odd atm in that market.

LibDems playing kingmakers would be, uh, interesting for Brexit.

No kingmakers from us.

This is going to be a very, very scary week to be a LD campaigner though. Thank God Farron has a debate on Wednesday and an Andrew Neil interview on Thursday.

He will need to thread a needle. But we're perfectly spaced between the two parties, AND pro-Remain.

I OFFICIALLY have no idea what happens now.

jem0208

Before anyone gets excited:

Tim Farron has vowed absolutely no coalitions with Corbyn or May. Not even if we get a second referendum, PR, special backrubs or Corbyn's home made jam.

However, if you want to block Brexit... you might want to vote LD now. :D
If there's a chance that a Lib Dem and Labour coalition could keep the Tories out do you really think they wouldn't take it?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If May got ousted would her replacement likely be better or worse?

The liberal wing of the Conservatives would take back over, I think. My money would be on Crabb; whether that's better or worse depends on your perspective.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden

tumblr_mdju4syWJ71qb05aco1_500.gif

If there's a chance that a Lib Dem and Labour coalition could keep the Tories out do you really think they wouldn't take it?

No pacts, no deals, no supply and confidence, no coalitions.

May as PM but unable to pass any legislation the Lib Dems or the SNP don't like.

And thanks to the FPTA, literally one vote away from the government falling.

Faddy

Banned

Hard to get much worse but the Tories will find a way.

Gove, Boris, Fox and Davies would be the main contenders. David Davies probably takes it on the assumption he is the least scandalised one of the four.

But it could be Boris!!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
No pacts, no deals, no supply and confidence, no coalitions.

May as PM but unable to pass any legislation the Lib Dems or the SNP don't like.

I mean, you say this now, but we know what the Lib Dems are like with promises.

Also, this would cause another election, no doubt at all. There's no way a minority government would persist under Brexit conditions.

Gove, Boris, Fox and Davies would be the main contenders. David Davies probably takes it on the assumption he is the least scandalised one of the four.

But it could be Boris!!

Boris and Trump meeting.

Lol

Labour know most of their voters originally supported remain so would probably happily give the lib dems some sort of second referendum for a coalition

Xando

But it could be Boris!!
Don't forget everyones favorite Andrea Leadsom

Hazzuh

Also, this would cause another election, no doubt at all. There's no way a minority government would persist under Brexit conditions.

We'd spend the first year of the article 50 negotiations having elections, it'd be a total disaster.

It's by convention that a coalition deal would have to get past a special conference - no way that vote passes the LD membership.

It'd have to promise an end to Brexit, and that's not something either party would ever offer.

And yes, this would absolutely cause an election in November. Right in the middle of Article 50 negotiations.

Pandy

No kingmakers from us.

This is going to be a very, very scary week to be a LD campaigner though. Thank God Farron has a debate on Wednesday and an Andrew Neil interview on Thursday.

He will need to thread a needle. But we're perfectly spaced between the two parties, AND pro-Remain.

I OFFICIALLY have no idea what happens now.
I mean, what's even the point in the Lib Dems if they aren't going to do anything in the one situation that could give the 4th party in the country any power.

Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom