• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

typist

Assuming that poll wasn't an outlier, is there any chance the SNP would make a coalition with the conservatives if it meant a second independence referendum would be approved by Westminster? Also does Scotland even need approval from Westminster for a second referendum? Seem to remember some debate around that

Faddy

Banned
Assuming that poll wasn't an outlier, is there any chance the SNP would make a coalition with the conservatives if it meant a second independence referendum would be approved by Westminster?

No.

The SNP have standing policy of no coalitions with the conservatives at any level of government.

We don't know that yet. There's no legal clause to say we can't "take back control" of our article 50.
Maybe. But we have burned all good fucking will with 27 member states of the EU.

They're generally looking to fuck us over now and rightfully so. We wouldn't have any leverage and would look super weak.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't May pretty liberal on gay rights?

Very recently converted. I have no doubt Crabb would do the same with more prominence. It's a vote-loser to be otherwise, even for Conservatives - we're not America.

I mean, what's even the point in the Lib Dems if they aren't going to do anything in the one situation that could give the 4th party in the country any power.

Seriously.

OK, so let me be quite clear:

1. There is no way a coalition with the Conservative party could work. There is no way I could ever see Tim Farron stomaching being at a cabinet table with May. None. He despised the coalition. Also, Brexit - literally the main policy of our party is to not do stuff like leave the Single Market. There simply is not enough common ground to make a coalition work.
2. There is no way a coalition with Labour could work. Corbyn leads an unstable enough party as it is. Although we are happy to give thumbs up to the more centrists bits of his manifesto, he wants to raise taxes far, far too high and nationalise big chunks of the transport network. Also, he wants to go through with Brexit and leaving the Single Market. Thus, no common ground either. In addition, it would likely be a Labour/SNP coalition, and we cannot enter coalition with the SNP as we are a unionist party.

If instead the LDs hold the balance of power in a minority government situation, we can vote on legislation as it comes by the Commons, attempt to vote it down if it goes against what we want, or pass it if it's good Lib Demmy policy.

This gives the LDs a hell of a lot of power - no pacts or secret deals to allow crap legislation through.

The problem is that a Hung Commons will actually be hung between the Lib Dems, Plaid, the SNP, the NI parties, one or two Greens and an independent.

This is the parliament that has to pass the Autumn Statement (or is it a budget now, as they've unified them?) and legislation on leaving the EU.

It would be one of the most gloriously chaotic and short-lived parliaments in UK history.

Theonik

Isn't May pretty liberal on gay rights?
Not really. She was against it until Cameron pushed it as part of the party line. In truth her tenure as an MP was quite boring overall.
She's always been one to tow the party line if anything. Nowadays though, gay rights are vote winners. So it'd be hard even for the Tories to back off.

StayDead

Maybe. But we have burned all good fucking will with 27 member states of the EU.

They're generally looking to fuck us over now and rightfully so. We wouldn't have any leverage and would look super weak.

The conservatives have burned the bridges, not the UK.

The EU government still care about the actual British people, because unlike the conservatives they're not awful human beings.

He's just another selfish rich bloke. He wants all the money for himself, and wants others, even his own employees, to get as little of it as he can possibly let them get.

Why shouldn't you pay VAT on private school fees? Is it an essential service? We charge it on tampons ffs.

Zero hour contracts basically just exist to trick people into thinking that unemployment is lower than it is. What good is a job if you don't know if there's going to be work for you to get paid doing until you turn up?

What's wrong with paying people a living wage of £10 an hour? Or are you ok with people in full time employment in this country still not having enough money for them to live on?

I refuse to believe this guy ever voted Labour. He's as far from it as you can get.

Zero hour contracts are great! People on zero hour contracts are more satisfied than regular workers. I'll dig the survey out when I get home. They just get a bad rap.

Uzzy

Yep. Thats beyond hell freezing over.

Mayotov - Sturgeontrop Pact

Really though, as others have said, those kind of election results would just lead to another election in six months time, which would totally bode well. But as they say, hope is the first step on the road to disappointment, and we'll all be hyping ourselves up only to be crushed at 22:01 when the exit polls show a decent Tory majority and a smiling May. I mean, I'd love it if we hit 22:01 and we saw Dimbleby getting nationalised as he sings the Internationale, but that's not going to happen.

The conservatives have burned the bridges, not the UK.

The EU government still care about the actual British people, because unlike the conservatives they're not awful human beings.

i'd say that a safer bet is that they're as likely to care about the british people as they were with the greek people.

jem0208

Zero hour contracts are great! People on zero hour contracts are more satisfied than regular workers. I'll dig the survey out when I get home. They just get a bad rap.
Honestly, i don't quite get the hate for zero hour contacts. As a student I'd much rather have the flexibility than a set number of hours a week.

excowboy

If those numbers came anywhere close to happening... It'd be fucking incredible. If we're driving off the Brexit cliff, why not set the car on fire before we go? I would be concerned that a collapsing minority Tory govt would just lead to more wasted time prior to the fucking nonsense of Brexit, but at this point, fuck it. Maybe an inoperable parliament would make everyone act like adults and cancel Brexit? Maybe? (Please?)

Also, if those figures are correct, my breakfast on June 9th will just be Pimm's and lemonade and a box of cigars, because why not.

Rodelero

Where is the proof? I read the tweet and followed the link in the tweet (https://companycheck.co.uk/director/908467388/MANEET--KAPOOR/financials) and I couldn't see anything indicating he's making that. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Edit - I think I worked it out. The guy who made the tweet added up the Net Worth of the companies to get the £915.5k figure (even though it's actually £913.5k). This is not indicative of his income at all.

Indeed - looking into it seems like a bit of 'fake news' that is taking twitter by storm. There's no way to determine his income from this information, and it seems highly unlikely it's anywhere near that high.

PowderedToast

Jeremy was brilliant on the one show. As a silly and spineless tea time diversion it can be pretty infuriating to see them give the likes of may a free PR boost, but equally it allowed corbyn to show his warm nature without any desire to trip him up. I think it'll have impressed people a fair bit.

Rodelero

For two reasons:

1. To shut up the whole "COALITION OF CHAOS" thing in the seats where we were trying to win. Canvassers just had to tell any voter that worried about it that we would never go into government with the other side.
2. Exactly this scenario.

We got BUTCHERED the last time we were in government. Labour and the Tories screwed us over royally.

A hung parliament with the LDs having my prediction, which up until about an hour ago was 12-18 seats (God knows what happens now - a lot of voters are going to panic and dramatically re-align) would be ideal for us - it completely and totally fucks over Brexit.

Bear in mind that we cannot enter any kind of deal with a party that backs leaving the Single Market anyway. But we specifically ruled out any coalition. You vote Lib Dem... you get Lib Dem.

I recognise that the Liberal Democrats were hammered by being part of the last coalition, but for the Liberal Democrats long term goals, going into coalition is surely going to be necessary? Coalition government is practically the most optimistic future the Liberal Democrats can have - and I'd prefer to vote for a pragmatic party prepared to do the necessary thing than an ideological party that consigns itself forever to the sidelines.

Right now the stance seems sensible, but at some point we're going to have to get used to coalitions in this country.

Orbis

I'll believe it at 22:00 on the 8th. Exit poll is either going to be "Oh well", "Holy shit" or some weird hybrid of the two.

I'm still thinking a slightly grown Tory majority is more likely. Personal attacks on Corbyn are intensifying from all angles. It will have an effect.

What would be incredible about a hung parliament is that it would be two successive Tory Prime Ministers committing political suicide within 12 months (well technically Cameron called the referendum well before that but still).

Right now the stance seems sensible, but at some point we're going to have to get used to coalitions in this country.

I 100% agree with you, but the issue is Brexit and the ideological stances of the parties. 2010 worked because Cameron and Clegg were both socially liberal economic liberals who wanted to tackle the economic crisis - there's no such obvious pairing of leaders. Farron and Corbyn is already a bonkers idea, Farron and May is far, far, far, far, far more bonkers.

I don't even know if Farron likes jam. Or hideous leopard-print trousers.

Faddy

Banned
I 100% agree with you, but the issue is Brexit and the ideological stances of the parties. 2010 worked because Cameron and Clegg were both socially liberal economic liberals who wanted to tackle the economic crisis - there's no such obvious pairing of leaders. Farron and Corbyn is already a bonkers idea, Farron and May is far, far, far, far, far more bonkers.

And Clegg was willing to burn his headline policy and his principles to the ground for a sabotaged referendum on AV.

And Clegg was willing to burn his headline policy and his principles to the ground for a sabotaged referendum on AV.

Yup. Utterly imbecilic.

I think in the above scenario, you have Conservatives governing with Unionist support in NI in a minority arrangement, with the hope being that the Brexiteer Labour MPs defy the party whip and prevent the government falling before we leave the EU.

Hazzuh

Looking forward to all the journos on June 9th talking about how we should stop treating polls like gospel after spending the campaign covering little else.

Where is the proof? I read the tweet and followed the link in the tweet (https://companycheck.co.uk/director/908467388/MANEET--KAPOOR/financials) and I couldn't see anything indicating he's making that. I feel like I'm missing something here.
This kind of snooping around is why my parents refused to be a limited company even though not doing so meant that if their business collapsed they would lose everything. Kapoor has a few too many baskets to not risk that.

But I feel with many is there might have been some point with what they are saying (staff are a big expense although I think the government having to subsidise low wages via tax credits is absurd) but he fucking lost it with many people by crying about private school VAT fees and spouting crap about how he should be a labour voter because of where he was born which just revealed his true blue colours. In other words they are the villain and will be dragged through the mud. Worth noting though if does vote that he is probably a pharmacist (looking at the companies in question, with some property dev on the side*) and the conservatives are cutting funding there but it seems people love voting blue when they are most affected by them.

*-I went to school with a builder whose father was a hairdresser turned property developer.

Looks like the UK is getting a new Prime Minister.

...because even if the Conservatives remain in power, there's no way they're keeping May after this.

Yougov apparently arrived at this thanks to 50k interviews over the course of this past week.

The problem is that this will affect voting patterns.

Theonik

The pessimist in me can't help but think these kinds of polls are in part trying to set the narrative that the Conservatives need people to vote and that the Coalition of Chaos is coming or other such nonsense. It might hurt labour if anything.

hohoXD123

Looks like the UK is getting a new Prime Minister.

...because even if the Conservatives remain in power, there's no way they're keeping May after this.

Indeed, she'd have probably remained in power at least until the eventual brexit negotiation cockup were it not for her hubris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom